Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Lenny- I am sorry to read that you did not have a successful appointment with the Parkinson’s doctor. It must have been very deflating to experience his approach.

As I wrote in my post to Lucas, our friend also has Parkinson’s. He has started to see a doctor who is affiliated with Stonybrook hospital and,so far, he and his wife are pleased with this doctor’s care. If you would like, I could get the name of the doctor for you. 

Not to make light of your recent experience, but I am thinking that you must also be disappointed that the Mets have been put out of the running for a World Series appearance. Well, there’s always next year. Hoping the Yankees will have a better outcome. They won tonight’s game and the Braves lost,so there is hope for an interesting Series, at least for New Yorkers !

Bonnie- That is not good news that you are experiencing pain in that foot. Although the boot is cumbersome, hoping the support it gives takes some if the pain away and that the podiatrist can offer you some good insight as to what is happening with that foot.

@Ozark_Kid- Your dear Kenzie is a beautiful child with a loving heart. She must light up a room wherever she goes. You and your family are blessed to have her in your lives.

To all those dealing with illness, pain or discomfort these days, I hope you have some comfort with whatever you are dealing with now. 

To those that celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada- happy holiday!

To those traveling by ship,car or plane,safe journeys and wishes for an enjoyable trip and vacation.

Take care everyone !

MJ🙋🏻

Thanks,MJ .I have been previously referred to a Stony Brook doctor.It is too far for me.I live in Nassau County.It is difficult for me to be in a car for more than an hour.

The doctor yesterday was in Great Neck,

Earlier today I found out that a woman who I knew in HS died from Alzheimer’s .I last saw her at the HS 40th.reunion .I had no idea that she was ill

Yes,I was disappointed that the Mets were eliminated .

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

If I can make it onto the Mariner, I'll do a live next week. First time to Bermuda so that should make it interesting. 

Currently stressed about testing. Our OnPoint test got cancelled, so I signed up for CVS, and last time I tried to use them they cancelled.

Never worried about it when we were doing Walgreens rapid tests

If you have some of the free government tests try rapidtestandtrace.com    Much better than OnPoint, IMO.    Walgreens was the best!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Thanks all!  I figured calling again is worth a shot, but maybe tomorrow when my annoyance has passed.  

But if you call today you might sleep so much better tonight. We all know you just have to call until you get what you want. That is especially so when you know others have made it happen. We also all know the cruise planner does not close down until 3 days before the cruise. Stand your ground. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not the one we used to go to. 

And the website didn't show one very close

Hi John,  in August, we did a Mariner cruise to Bermuda.  We had our test done at an Urgent Care Facility in Melbourne.  Hope there is one you can go to in your area.     We had to pay but what can you do……  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

It's at Le Havre, so plenty of other places to go. Just a shame that we hit on that date. 

Some folks are getting off for a week and staying for games

You need at least 3 days in Paris.

Tours from Le Havre are not practical.

Screenshot_20221012_192435.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You need at least 3 days in Paris.

Tours from Le Havre are not practical.

Screenshot_20221012_192435.jpg

I think that is true of most European cities....Paris, Rome, London, etc.  Even if they were located right on the coast, Venice for example, most of them need at least three days. I truly have no idea how people do Rome on a cruise. Between travel time to and from Civitavechia and all there is to see it boggles my mind.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think that is true of most European cities....Paris, Rome, London, etc.  Even if they were located right on the coast, Venice for example, most of them need at least three days. I truly have no idea how people do Rome on a cruise. Between travel time to and from Civitavechia and all there is to see it boggles my mind.

I agree with Paris,London and Rome.

Florence and Pisa are also a long way from La Spezia port.

Fortunately Barcelona,Naples,Palma and the Canary Islands ports are close to the centres.

Screenshot_20221012_195443.jpg

Screenshot_20221012_194558_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

My mom recently went into hospice. She is in memory care and it does take some of the pressure off of the regular staff there. Hospice is amazing. 

It’s taken a few weeks for me to be able to adjust my way of thinking.  The priorities of care once in hospice is different than before.  Certain things with her various  medical conditions used to concern me a lot more before than they do now.  A lot of it is allowing nature to take its course with all the care, comfort and dignity as possible.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming and other times it feels a bit of a relief for me.

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree with Paris,London and Rome.

Florence and Pisa are also a long way from La Spezia port.

Fortunately Barcelona,Naples,Palma and the Canary Islands ports are close to the centres.

Screenshot_20221012_194719.jpg

Screenshot_20221012_194745.jpg

True about Naples on the coast. However, if you want to go to Capri, or Vesuvius, or Pompei, each is a whole day. There is still no time to adaquatrly see all of them and Naples.

Ever seen the movie "If Its Tuesday It Must Be Belgium"? That is what a European cruise reminds me of. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Dear Lucas- You have been on quite the life’s journey taking care of your Mom.She is fortunate to have a son who is so dedicated to taking care of her.  Hoping that hospice will give you the support you need in taking care of her. Keep in mind that it is okay to ask for help because the help you receive will help her also.

My Dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s and he passed at 73. I was 27 at the time. Since I am an only child,I helped my Mom care for him at their home for four years. It was often difficult, but it was an act of love and I have never regretted helping my parents in those years.Whenever I think of my Dad, it is not as he was during those last years,but when he was a strong and vital man who loved my mother and me very much.

My Mom lived to be 93 and spent the last twenty years of her life as a widow. She came to live with my husband and me when it came to the point in her life when she no longer wanted to be alone. Luckily, she retained all her mental faculties as she aged, but had to deal with significant physical problems. During the last three years of her life, we had help from two wonderful aides. I considered theses women angels and they became part of our family. She was a wonderful mother and I considered our taking care of her as a way to thank her for the loving care she gave to me.

Now, we are supporting a good friend who has been dealing with Parkinson's Disease for a number of years. Recently, he has begun to experience some hallucinations which apparently present as confusion of thought. He sometimes thinks his wife is someone else and he is confused in his house as he is convinced that he is in a former  house that was sold some time ago. At other times,he is like his old self, joking and having good conversations. We feel for his wife who has been caring for him by herself for so many years.They both are dear friends and we try to support them by helping with household tasks,doing errands and sometimes just listening. At times, I wish I had a magic wand that would take the disease away from our friend as then he would have such a pleasant life.

Whenever I hear of someone who is afflicted with a serious disease such as Alzheimer’s,Parkinson’s ,cancer or other serious diseases, I often think of their caregivers. Since being one for both of my parents, I realize the struggles they face. As someone once said to me, when you see a person in a wheelchair,look up and give the person pushing the wheelchair a smile. That person needs care and support too.

Lucas, I wish you good days as you continue to care for your Mom. When her life journey is over,you will not have regrets over what you did to care for her.

MJ🙋🏻

Wow, sometimes when I feel so alone in this journey, it always reassuring to hear of others having similar experiences.  Thank you for such kind words.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

First cruise in Europe we did the Rome trip.  Long bus ride each way.  Left the port at 6AM got back on the ship a 8PM on a ship tour.  We visited the Colloseum, the Vatican and the Sistine chapel, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, Arch of Constantine, Sant’ Angelo Castle, St. Peter’s piazza, and we ate pizza from a street vendor.

We slept well that night.  

I was 22 years younger then.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

True about Naples on the coast. However, if you want to go to Capri, or Vesuvius, or Pompei, each is a whole day. There is still no time to adaquatrly see all of them and Naples.

Ever seen the movie "If Its Tuesday It Must Be Belgium"? That is what a European cruise reminds me of. 

Some tours from Naples include Capri,Amalfi, Pompeii, Sorrento packed in an 11 hour tour which is tiring but each deserve a full day.

Fortunately we have been to Naples several times along with most European ports.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

First cruise in Europe we did the Rome trip.  Long bus ride each way.  Left the port at 6AM got back on the ship a 8PM on a ship tour.  We visited the Colloseum, the Vatican and the Sistine chapel, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum, Arch of Constantine, Sant’ Angelo Castle, St. Peter’s piazza, and we ate pizza from a street vendor.

We slept well that night.  

I was 22 years younger then.  

Just reading what you did in one day has made me need a nap. I needed the better part of a day just exploring St. Peter's Basilica.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Some tours from Naples include Capri,Amalfi, Pompeii, Sorrento packed in an 11 hour tour which is tiring but each deserve a full day.

Fortunately we have been to Naples several times along with most European ports.

You have the luxury of easy access to Europe. I have had the fortune of a family to live with in Italy so as a teen I could spend summer months living there. You and I both know how much there is to see. For me, it took almost a full day just to see the Tower of London nevermind the rest of the city. I think many tourist think they have seen a city, or country, only because they don't know all there truly is to see. Then there is the whole other issue of the opportunity to interact with the local folks of a region which, for me, is just as important as the sites. A cruise just doesn't cut it for me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Please do yourself a favor and either put the drugs on bedside table into a drawer or maybe one of those plastic shoebox tubs with lid they sell at dollar stores.   The last thing you want is Olliver knocking over meds or finding something on the floor that he accidently injests.  

This was recommended by a Hospice nurse when we did at home hospice for my Dad since their cat spent all day in bed with him. 

That’s great advice.  I do most of that already.  The pills she takes on a schedule are in a daily pill organizer.  The bottles they come from are in a basket in the cabinet.  All the extras are in sealable container.  The ones she takes as needed I keep in a ceramic bowl by the bed.  As seen in the pic below.  I got tired of having to find my glasses to read the small print on the labels, so I coded the tops of the bottles.  8F6C3F28-4EB0-40C3-80DA-5B4BCBEBAE29.thumb.jpeg.f6bd059214b9d3d70e3459cc69fb4cf2.jpeg

M= Morhine

O= Oxycodone

L= Lorazepam

H= Haldol

Q= Quetiapine (Seroquel)

C= Clonazepam (Klonopin)

It just makes it easier for me to grasp what I need when she started to get into one of her altered mental states.  And the nurses appreciate it for when they count the narcotics so they know when to reorder them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

He asked me to draw some very simple objects ,I was unable to do that.He had a drawing of a clock and asked me to draw ten minutes after 11 .I could not do that.He said 3 words and 5 minutes later asked me to repeat them.I was not able to.He had me step up and down with my feet while seated.I could only do it with my left foot.He held my hand and asked me to resist his pushing.I could not do it with either hand. I kept on telling him that I was in excrutiating pain even sitting in his office .He asked if I was depressed and I said that I was.I told him that at home I am screaming nearly all day because of the pain.He just sat there without an expression.

I told him that I am depressed because I cannot remember simple things like addition and subtraction ,that I was an athlete when I was young and now I cannot walk more than 3 feet.

Today I called a guy who is in my Parkinson’s Support Group ,he recommended one of his doctors.I am going to call one of my nieces who is an MD ,but I cannot do that till Sunday.

I am so sorry you couldn't be helped.  How did the doctor end things?  I'm glad you aren't giving up on other doctors.  I hate to get personal and you don't have to answer but often you posted you're always in extreme pain.  May I ask where your pain is?  Nobody should have to live with excruciating pain especially sitting in a doctor office.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

If I can make it onto the Mariner, I'll do a live next week. First time to Bermuda so that should make it interesting. 

Currently stressed about testing. Our OnPoint test got cancelled, so I signed up for CVS, and last time I tried to use them they cancelled.

Never worried about it when we were doing Walgreens rapid tests

It's been awhile since we were in Bermuda.  Really enjoyed it.  I remember getting back to the ship and while we were in the room ESPN was showing a sailing race.  Really wasn't paying attention to it.  After we went out we noticed many looking off the side.  It was the race that was on ESPN.

I heard Bermuda was dropping test requirements but waiting until the cruise ships slow down.

We will be visiting Aruba for the 1st time and doing the UDP for the 1st.  It been 10 years since being to Curacao too.  Last weeks live said they expected starlink will be done on 2 weeks.  So that might make it interesting.   I can't get my hopes up to much for Starlink. 

• Like 5