Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We may end up regretting doing it in one shot but we figured it's worth a try. We will probably sail out og Galveston again. If it's too much we will split it up over two days.

We drive to Florida every year.  We did it a couple times doing 10-11 hour days, and it was just too tiring and stressful. (Heck, in our younger days we would drive 23 hours straight)

Now, we go no more than 450 miles in one day, switching drivers every 100-120 miles.  It is much more relaxing that way.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

BTW the ER doc never looked or touched my foot. 

A few years ago I woke up on a Sunday morning with my eyes glued shut.  I tried flushing them with water and eye drops but they were in bad shape.  I got scared…this is my vision…and it’s BOTH eyes!!  I had my husband drive me to the ER.  The technician took one look at me and said “pink eye.”  No tests…he was in the room less than a minute.  You can imagine my bill at the ER regardless of that though!!  Of course it had to happen on a weekend so I had no option here except ER.

I’d never had pink eye, never seen anyone who had it so I had no idea.  (And my eyes were not pink…)  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

If, by some miracle, the flying time from Tel Aviv to Miami will be shorter than 14 hours, I will be there too 😢 😢 

I truly hope you are.  I would love to meet you and thank you in person for starting this thread

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Winstar in fun and Buc'ees is not to be missed.  We got our squirrel feeder and a few items of decor there.  Coffee is not bad either.

Winstar is a ripoff they charge you to play blackjack, I believe it is a dollar a hand , I do my gambling on cruises and monthly poker game . They do have some good concerts.

48 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

If possible, would you consider making a stop in Europe for a few days first to break up that long flight?  

Thanks, Bonnie. First of all, hopefully you'll feel better soon and the pain will be gone ASAP.

The plan is/was to spend at least 4 days in Miami before the cruise (and may be a day or two after the cruise, since direct flights are not daily), to recover from the jet lag. A stop in Europe will still leave me jet lagged...

To a lesser extent, seeing the discussion on the roll call about the hotels' rates made me aware that it is an expensive time to book a hotel in Miami....😢

17 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I truly hope you are.  I would love to meet you and thank you in person for starting this thread

12 minutes ago, jmh2006 said:

+1

Thank you, Pat & Jen, really appreciate the kind words 😘

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

@h20skibum, Mark, from the moment you've shared, my thoughts are to your daughter and all your family.

Since I'm helping with grants requests in the breast cancer research, this is one of the leading ones in this domain, if you're not familiar with, the Susan G. Komen foundation -- 

https://www.komen.org/breast-cancer/diagnosis/triple-negative/

🤞

Thank you, Dani.  We are aware of the foundation, and we are learning more each day. Thank you for thinking of us.  Your prayers, and those from our friends here, are greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

@BonTexasNYHope you are better soon🙏🤞

+1 @BonTexasNY

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

BTW the ER doc never looked or touched my foot.  I only took my shoe off for the xrays and put it back on immediately after.  I guess the xrays told the whole picture.

I hear that same story from patients who have been in the ER and then come to the office for followup. To this day I'll never forget the words of one of my professors in medical school, and that was a lot of years ago. He said never forget to put your hands on your patients. They will impart so much information to you and give your patients a sense of comfort. Of course, this was back in the day when we were taught the art and science of physical diagnosis without running everyone through a CT scanner. His words have served me well.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just wanted to mention that I spent 4 hours in the ER today with fears that I broke something near my toes on the foot with the ankle surgery. I developed pain,, I mean extreme pain in that area.  I could only hobble, not walk.  I was thrilled at the results; no fracture but lots of inflammation. So, back to wearing the dreaded boot while walking and ice the area when I don't walk.  Next week is a follow up podiatrist visit to see what will be next.

ER doc said it's common with post foot surgical patients when they attempt to walk after being non weight bearing for 6 weeks as I was.

BTW the ER doc never looked or touched my foot.  I only took my shoe off for the xrays and put it back on immediately after.  I guess the xrays told the whole picture.

No more torture PT sessions until after the Podiatrist follow up visit.

Ouch.  Sorry to hear.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 9:27 AM, HBE4 said:

I've been spending too much time discussing baseball on this thread and falling way behind on several of the live reviews. I didn't realize @bobmacliberty reached Hawaii and only made it as far as@A&L_Ont 1st day of his cruise. 😄

I got some catching up to do.

👍🏼

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Just wanted to mention that I spent 4 hours in the ER today with fears that I broke something near my toes on the foot with the ankle surgery. I developed pain,, I mean extreme pain in that area.  I could only hobble, not walk.  I was thrilled at the results; no fracture but lots of inflammation. So, back to wearing the dreaded boot while walking and ice the area when I don't walk.  Next week is a follow up podiatrist visit to see what will be next.

ER doc said it's common with post foot surgical patients when they attempt to walk after being non weight bearing for 6 weeks as I was.

I’m sorry you’re experiencing such pain but thankfully nothing’s broken!

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

The plan is/was to spend at least 4 days in Miami before the cruise (and may be a day or two after the cruise, since direct flights are not daily), to recover from the jet lag. A stop in Europe will still leave me jet lagged...

To a lesser extent, seeing the discussion on the roll call about the hotels' rates made me aware that it is an expensive time to book a hotel in Miami....😢

It will be wonderful if you can join us Dani.  Have you checked hotel prices?  I feel they bump them up a day or so before cruises depart.  Mid-week and maybe a bit away from the port might find more reasonable rates.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Winstar is a ripoff they charge you to play blackjack, I believe it is a dollar a hand , I do my gambling on cruises and monthly poker game . They do have some good concerts.

I just play slots and have come out about even over time.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

I’ve been thinking about the best way to respond since Dani first asked about a month ago. I started to and deleted many replies.  Then when Sunshine asked I figured I would take a few minutes to myself, which I really haven’t had the past couple of months, and join the conversation again. 

The past couple of months have been really hectic and kept me quite busy and frustrated.  From the end of July to the last part of August I had to call EMS twice due to my moms Parkinson’s Disease Psychosis. For a little old lady (barely 5 foot tall on a good day) with dyskinesia from the Parkinson’s she sure could go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde with no warning.  During the second time in The hospital she was started on Nuplazid, which is specifically for the hallucinations and delusions of PDP.  Since it usually takes four weeks before the effects of Nuplazid are seen, the plan was for her to go to a rehab facility for a few weeks to help build up her strength again as well and work on the doses of her other Parkinson’s meds and Seroquel and Haldol to help with the delusions.  

She was in a good mood when I took her to the rehab place the first evening, she ate well and settled into bed alright.  Well, the next day when I went there, she was a totally different person.  I just didn’t know what else to do anymore, I was beyond frustrated and exhausted from taking care of her 24/7 the past few years.  I spoke with the case manager there about options.  I said I can do almost everything myself with  her at home except when she goes bat ***** crazy on me.  That’s I hated having to call 911 but didn’t have any other options at the time.  She suggested going with a Hospice/Palliative care regimen.  With that we would have all the support that I needed to take care of her at home.  Especially since the last scans showed that the lastest chemo treatments were no longer keeping the tumors in check.  The only other treatments for trip,e negative metastatic breast cancer is very aggressive, and her body wouldn’t tolerate it any longer.

So it’s been about two months now since we’ve started hospice, and she is slowly goi g down hill.  Seems everyday I notice her a bit slower with thinking, moving and talking.  It’s just the nature of the beast with Parkinson’s, dimentia and cancer.  So far the nurse comes twice a week and an aid comes twice a week to help with bathing so it doesn’t fall completely on me.  There are several others in the office for the case manager or social workers that call and check up on how I am doing with everything.  This is the first time in all the years that I have been taking care of her 24/7 that anyone (including family)has asked how I am doing or if there is anything they can do for me.  

Anyways, I didn’t want to this to be long and drawn out, but sometimes I just can’t shut up, maybe it’s because I only have Oliver to talk to on a daily basis for so long LOL.  And I thought that maybe if anyone else is going through that same sort of thing with their fa,I.y members that I could possibly help with any questions.  One thing I will say for sure, hospice is nothing like I thought it was.  

So, this has been my life the last few months.  Now that I have a chance to come up for air, I’ll be more likely to join in the regular conversations although I didn’t have any trips planned for obvious reason.😎

Lucus sorry to hear you were still going thru this by yourself. Glad you now have some help. Always stop by if you have the time. Join in or just to read. A distraction can be a nice break sometimes.

22 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

This weekend we had a sand sculpture contest at the beach. Welcome to Atlantis Rising....

20221010_182715.thumb.jpg.84bab818ae8068b1d7965ea7469b3f35.jpg

20221010_182537.thumb.jpg.25674f7a30fcc1c118e7732d80a21f1c.jpg

20221010_182624.thumb.jpg.d5a8204899692595801888abe3409c49.jpg

20221010_182731.thumb.jpg.22a0aa3cb4c62c784e62ad012b218965.jpg

20221010_182749.thumb.jpg.7503e41c921bd3ddd6bba73009147324.jpg

20221010_182822.thumb.jpg.9d3c741ddc3aa99d5fc0acc244842c64.jpg

20221010_182839.thumb.jpg.acb4332e38e5e2d0ef235637325cb53e.jpg

20221010_182945.thumb.jpg.2ab49aa8518a0c12c1e10a0966216a71.jpg

20221010_183003.thumb.jpg.c271cd504a916e432bddff4466b1b970.jpg

20221010_183024.thumb.jpg.d4832c8e39270562181f543d5746879d.jpg

20221010_183113.thumb.jpg.5da84dd509aa1af5aca159b0626926a6.jpg

Those were some that I thought were pretty impressive.

Those are amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to the doctor today that I waited 6 months to see.I was not expecting a miracle but I hope that he would be able to offer me some form of relief from the Parkinsons.

Ninety minutes of traveling in each direction .We arrived at the medical building and could not find parking.We saw a Valet sign and went to the area but nobody was working there .Then I saw a person leave a spot and we parked.

Less than two minutes to wait to see the doctor.I brought all my recent MRI reports plus the discs,all recent lab results ,all other recent test results.The doctor had absolutely no interest in seeing any of what I brought and no interest in what is ailing me.If I wanted to see him again his next opening was in June.Not a good day .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Good luck with the Podiatrist,Bonnie.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Sorry to hear this Lenny. Did he not do anything??

When we left his office he walked ahead of us to open the door to the check out desk.

Every doctor who I have been to in recent years has told me there is nothing more they can do for me.I have a niece who is an MD .I have a very close relationship with her .She has offered to try and find a doctor for me to see but she practices in Westchester and the doctors she knows well are there.

• Like 3

What's the drive time for you because you are south of me?

It's 574 miles and says 8 hours and 36 minutes.  The cost to fly or drive is not much different.   When we fly out of LR we spend the night before at our DD's house and then our SIL drops us off at the airport.   Don't have to deal with parking. 

I just noticed I was editing when you were responding.   Right now we plan to fly.  We were considering driving. 

Edited by Ozark_Kid
  • Like 1

What's the drive time for you because you are south of me?

To bad your not spending any time in Dallas would have liked to buy you a drink in our favorite watering hole , I think you would have been impressed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Ouch!  Glad to hear nothing broke.   

Have you bedazzled your boot yet?   Maybe put the Royal logo like @ReneeFLLdid to her handbag😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 1