Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

27 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

I’ve been thinking about the best way to respond since Dani first asked about a month ago. I started to and deleted many replies.  Then when Sunshine asked I figured I would take a few minutes to myself, which I really haven’t had the past couple of months, and join the conversation again. 

The past couple of months have been really hectic and kept me quite busy and frustrated.  From the end of July to the last part of August I had to call EMS twice due to my moms Parkinson’s Disease Psychosis. For a little old lady (barely 5 foot tall on a good day) with dyskinesia from the Parkinson’s she sure could go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde with no warning.  During the second time in The hospital she was started on Nuplazid, which is specifically for the hallucinations and delusions of PDP.  Since it usually takes four weeks before the effects of Nuplazid are seen, the plan was for her to go to a rehab facility for a few weeks to help build up her strength again as well and work on the doses of her other Parkinson’s meds and Seroquel and Haldol to help with the delusions.  

She was in a good mood when I took her to the rehab place the first evening, she ate well and settled into bed alright.  Well, the next day when I went there, she was a totally different person.  I just didn’t know what else to do anymore, I was beyond frustrated and exhausted from taking care of her 24/7 the past few years.  I spoke with the case manager there about options.  I said I can do almost everything myself with  her at home except when she goes bat ***** crazy on me.  That’s I hated having to call 911 but didn’t have any other options at the time.  She suggested going with a Hospice/Palliative care regimen.  With that we would have all the support that I needed to take care of her at home.  Especially since the last scans showed that the lastest chemo treatments were no longer keeping the tumors in check.  The only other treatments for trip,e negative metastatic breast cancer is very aggressive, and her body wouldn’t tolerate it any longer.

So it’s been about two months now since we’ve started hospice, and she is slowly goi g down hill.  Seems everyday I notice her a bit slower with thinking, moving and talking.  It’s just the nature of the beast with Parkinson’s, dimentia and cancer.  So far the nurse comes twice a week and an aid comes twice a week to help with bathing so it doesn’t fall completely on me.  There are several others in the office for the case manager or social workers that call and check up on how I am doing with everything.  This is the first time in all the years that I have been taking care of her 24/7 that anyone (including family)has asked how I am doing or if there is anything they can do for me.  

Anyways, I didn’t want to this to be long and drawn out, but sometimes I just can’t shut up, maybe it’s because I only have Oliver to talk to on a daily basis for so long LOL.  And I thought that maybe if anyone else is going through that same sort of thing with their fa,I.y members that I could possibly help with any questions.  One thing I will say for sure, hospice is nothing like I thought it was.  

So, this has been my life the last few months.  Now that I have a chance to come up for air, I’ll be more likely to join in the regular conversations although I didn’t have any trips planned for obvious reason.😎

Sorry to hear what you have been going thru, what a great son you are.  I know she appreciates all you are doing for her, at some level.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

I’ve been thinking about the best way to respond since Dani first asked about a month ago. I started to and deleted many replies.  Then when Sunshine asked I figured I would take a few minutes to myself, which I really haven’t had the past couple of months, and join the conversation again. 

The past couple of months have been really hectic and kept me quite busy and frustrated.  From the end of July to the last part of August I had to call EMS twice due to my moms Parkinson’s Disease Psychosis. For a little old lady (barely 5 foot tall on a good day) with dyskinesia from the Parkinson’s she sure could go from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde with no warning.  During the second time in The hospital she was started on Nuplazid, which is specifically for the hallucinations and delusions of PDP.  Since it usually takes four weeks before the effects of Nuplazid are seen, the plan was for her to go to a rehab facility for a few weeks to help build up her strength again as well and work on the doses of her other Parkinson’s meds and Seroquel and Haldol to help with the delusions.  

She was in a good mood when I took her to the rehab place the first evening, she ate well and settled into bed alright.  Well, the next day when I went there, she was a totally different person.  I just didn’t know what else to do anymore, I was beyond frustrated and exhausted from taking care of her 24/7 the past few years.  I spoke with the case manager there about options.  I said I can do almost everything myself with  her at home except when she goes bat ***** crazy on me.  That’s I hated having to call 911 but didn’t have any other options at the time.  She suggested going with a Hospice/Palliative care regimen.  With that we would have all the support that I needed to take care of her at home.  Especially since the last scans showed that the lastest chemo treatments were no longer keeping the tumors in check.  The only other treatments for trip,e negative metastatic breast cancer is very aggressive, and her body wouldn’t tolerate it any longer.

So it’s been about two months now since we’ve started hospice, and she is slowly goi g down hill.  Seems everyday I notice her a bit slower with thinking, moving and talking.  It’s just the nature of the beast with Parkinson’s, dimentia and cancer.  So far the nurse comes twice a week and an aid comes twice a week to help with bathing so it doesn’t fall completely on me.  There are several others in the office for the case manager or social workers that call and check up on how I am doing with everything.  This is the first time in all the years that I have been taking care of her 24/7 that anyone (including family)has asked how I am doing or if there is anything they can do for me.  

Anyways, I didn’t want to this to be long and drawn out, but sometimes I just can’t shut up, maybe it’s because I only have Oliver to talk to on a daily basis for so long LOL.  And I thought that maybe if anyone else is going through that same sort of thing with their fa,I.y members that I could possibly help with any questions.  One thing I will say for sure, hospice is nothing like I thought it was.  

So, this has been my life the last few months.  Now that I have a chance to come up for air, I’ll be more likely to join in the regular conversations although I didn’t have any trips planned for obvious reason.😎

Don't even know what to say right now but didn't want to ignore your post. You have been an amazing son to your mother.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

I'm glad you decided to share.  We are here for you.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom spiraling out of control but it sounds like you are now getting the help you need so maybe it was a good thing that things escalated with her.

Being a sole care giver is very hard and you have been doing a wonderful job with your Mom and should have not feel guilty for calling 911.   

When Eric's Father and my Father were on Hospice we found the support they offer for both the caregiver and the patient absolutely amazing. 

It is not easy to watch a loved one deteriorate.  Please make sure you take the time you need too!   If you are able to just go for a long walk in a park with Olliver while a Nurse or Aide is with your Mom do it.

I'm sure Olliver is enjoying your companship too🥰  happy that you found each other.

Sending you a big hug and praying that she passes peacefully. ❤

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

This weekend we had a sand sculpture contest at the beach. Welcome to Atlantis Rising....

20221010_182715.thumb.jpg.84bab818ae8068b1d7965ea7469b3f35.jpg

20221010_182537.thumb.jpg.25674f7a30fcc1c118e7732d80a21f1c.jpg

20221010_182624.thumb.jpg.d5a8204899692595801888abe3409c49.jpg

20221010_182731.thumb.jpg.22a0aa3cb4c62c784e62ad012b218965.jpg

20221010_182749.thumb.jpg.7503e41c921bd3ddd6bba73009147324.jpg

20221010_182822.thumb.jpg.9d3c741ddc3aa99d5fc0acc244842c64.jpg

20221010_182839.thumb.jpg.acb4332e38e5e2d0ef235637325cb53e.jpg

20221010_182945.thumb.jpg.2ab49aa8518a0c12c1e10a0966216a71.jpg

20221010_183003.thumb.jpg.c271cd504a916e432bddff4466b1b970.jpg

20221010_183024.thumb.jpg.d4832c8e39270562181f543d5746879d.jpg

20221010_183113.thumb.jpg.5da84dd509aa1af5aca159b0626926a6.jpg

Those were some that I thought were pretty impressive.

These are amazing.  The detail they do with sand sculptures blows my mind.   Any idea which was the winner?  I would have a really tough time deciding.

3 hours ago, George C said:

Just talked to my brother in Ft Myer, many cars were destroyed besides the homes , my brother got a nice settlement from insurance on car but local car dealers were charging 10k over list price and getting it. At least there suv is fine thinking of going to another state to buy a car. There removing 4 ft of dry wall from first story which is the majority of his house. 

Four ft seems to be pretty standard for all of the houses I have seen.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

This weekend we had a sand sculpture contest at the beach. Welcome to Atlantis Rising....

How do they do that? Are they sprayed with something that keeps the sculptures from disintegrating? The surfaces are so flawless. 😃 They are incredible!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

@Sea Dog I can’t imagine driving that far in one go…you and your wife have more stamina than we do!  Our drives to Ft. Lauderdale would be 12 hours if we drove straight through but I don’t want to do that so we drive 6 hours one day, to Jacksonville, and then the other 6 the next day.

@jagsfan All our friends from when we moved here are gone as well.  I need to start making younger friends…

I live in Florida and it’s still a bit over a nine hour drive for me to Fort Lauderdale. 😟

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

I am so sorry for what you are going through with your mom.  She raised an exceptional son. Hugs to you ((((((( Lucas))))))))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

Lucas, you are a good son with a good heart.  God bless you for your sacrifices you make to take good care of your mom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

I know it is hard doing this, been there.  Welcome back.  

JC<———— who doesn’t do kindness easily.  😇

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Good evening everyone,  

As you can see from the many quick replies, you already have an online support group.  Feel free to vent as much or as little as possible or not at all. No trips planned?  No problem. Weather updates, food porn, complaints about gas prices and pet pics are always appreciated. 

The effort you are putting in to take care of your mother is a testament to your character and to hers are well, for raising you to be the person you've become. As tired and frustrated are you may be, when all is said and done, you will be happy to know you've made the right choices.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Wow.  Those are amazing.  Some people are so creative.

• Like 2

Good evening everyone,  

That is so hard to go through.  My heart goes out to you.  Take care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

It's hard to fine the right words for someone that is going through such a hard time. You are a person with a good heart to be willing to help through such a heavy load.  I pray that the help you are now getting helps ease that load.  Thanks for sharing.  It is good to see you back. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John&amp;LaLa said:

Dining options is one thing I dislike about Harmony. 

Wonderland is not my taste

Jamie's is awful

No Playmaker's 

No free Mexican

Worst CK in fleet

In your opinion, which is the best of the big girls?  We tend to get a rotation in Europe each year when they come over for dry dock

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Spent the day in Kotor, Montenegro.  What a magical place this is.DC21E51E-A1B3-4EA5-AF43-3FDBF2458D2F.thumb.jpeg.86e15ce5225894b6ef234ccdcc4c7c0e.jpeg

73658F3F-E07B-4B43-A17C-901DDEF823B1.thumb.jpeg.573d757c29a70b94a77b973f18313f7f.jpeg

70E407AD-B35D-4C7E-8040-3E4201A48373.jpeg

Hope you're having a fab time. What's the weather like? We've never done Europe this late in the season 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Good evening everyone,  

Sending you our hugs and prayers 🙏.

Graham and Pauline 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Hope you're having a fab time. What's the weather like? We've never done Europe this late in the season 

Yesterday on Kotor, it was overcast, but 73 degrees with a slight breeze.  Today in Corfu it has been raining, but I see sunshine coming our way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't even know what to say right now but didn't want to ignore your post. You have been an amazing son to your mother.

@LucasLikesToCruise I just wanted to add my thoughts to all those others that have been expressed here.  It is difficult.  My thoughts are with you.  Your mom’s cancer is the same type my daughter is fighting right now.

• Like 14