Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

When my step daughter was living in Houston, I made sure she had a steady supply of NY Yankee apparel. 😇

I have been to Houston several times.I have met quite a few people who moved there from NYC and nearly all were proud Yankee fans.My friend Dave worked for NASA and he said a lot of his co-workers proudly wore Yankee tee shirts on casual work days.

8 minutes ago, George C said:

I would never trust your picks for baseball or for any pizza or Italian restaurants  I see most of your picks are the favorite except for Cleveland. 

As I have stated numerous times since you and I lived relatively close to each other and hung out in some of the same areas it is very likely that we dined at some of the same pizzerias or Italian restaurants.My picks are the consensus of several NY sportswriters.

9 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

All of this! Our favorite place in Galveston is the Sunflower Bakery. It's great for a cruise morning breakfast/brunch.

https://thesunflowerbakeryandcafe.com/

I've done several day trips to Galveston when visiting Houston. My favorite spot is slightly different from your spot.  

It's aptly named The Spot.  They advertise 5 different venues under one roof but it's really just 5 different rooms with each bar having with a slightly  different theme.

But I am a sucker for a beach-themed bar.

https://www.islandfamous.com/thespot/

• Like 5

I just saw the baseball schedule for tomorrow. I had been hoping the Yankees would get the early day time game slot as I'm going to the Rangers home opener tomorrow night. But they have the prime time slot so there goes my plans to watching baseball during the day and attending hockey at night.

Normally, I would record the Yankee game to watch later but I'm sure I'll be getting regular updates throughout the night.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

If the food is real bad, check out Giovanni’s.  Personal opinion but I think it's better than Jamies on other ships. It's never disappointed me. Ossobucco was one of the better dishes.

Love the Osobuco. 

Agree that Jamie's is sub par

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've done several day trips to Galveston when visiting Houston. My favorite spot is slightly different from your spot.  

It's aptly named The Spot.  They advertise 5 different venues under one roof but it's really just 5 different rooms with each bar having with a slightly  different theme.

Have you ever been to Kemah ?It is a city just outside of Galveston.When we go to Houston we stay at the Kemah Boardwalk Inn.It is practically on the water.The guy who designed the property had vacation in Manhattan and made the hotel are exterior look like a miniature NYC .On the grounds there was an aquarium ,an arcade with Coney Island type games ,restaurants and a concert area.There were Jazz Festivals on the property every October.

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I just saw the baseball schedule for tomorrow. I had been hoping the Yankees would get the early day time game slot as I'm going to the Rangers home opener tomorrow night. But they have the prime time slot so there goes my plans to watching baseball during the day and attending hockey at night.

Normally, I would record the Yankee game to watch later but I'm sure I'll be getting regular updates throughout the night.

My son in law the huge Rangers fan would have been at the Garden tomorrow night but unfortunately he has Covid now.

I am a Rangers fan ,most of the residents on LI root for the Islanders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Braves go all the way back to Boston in the early 1900s.

@John&LaLa

I sorta went down a rabbit hole. The organization that is currently known as the Atlanta Braves  (formerly of Milwaukee and Boston) was founded back in 1871 before there a MLB or even a National League. Prior to being called the Braves, they operated under several other names: Boston Red Stockings (not to be confused with the AL Boston Red Sox which were not yet in existence), the Boston Red Caps,  and my favorite, the Boston Beaneaters. 😄 True story!  They became the Braves in 1912.

Regardless of the name or which league they played in, they can claim to be the oldest, continuously operating baseball team.

Fun facts to tell at parties.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

All of this! Our favorite place in Galveston is the Sunflower Bakery. It's great for a cruise morning breakfast/brunch.

Great menu.  We'll have to visit next time we're in Galveston.

Have you been to the Buc-ees in Melissa on 75?  Quick trip when we lived in Allen. There's one in Ft. Worth also.

38 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In the 20 years that I have been living in my condo development nearly every person I have met moved here from Brooklyn and are Mets fans .

On the block my house is on nearly everyone moved here from the Bronx and all of them are huge Yankee fans.

For good reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

What do you like about Harmony? The ship is doing 8/6 night itineraries from Ft. Lauderdale this winter. I get a block in my next cruise.

I basically like Oasis class ships for the entertainment and the specialty restaurants.   The 1st time we did Harmony it was new.  We did Harmony last January and it is still doing great.  I was highly considering a Harmony 8 day for January but the prices for an OVB jumped pretty high.  I had our TA friend check out all the Oasis class ships for January and the Allure out of Galveston was hard to pass on.

We will also be boarding Allure this Saturday.   Remind me and I will try to let you know if I see big differences in the two.

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

@John&LaLa

I sorta went down a rabbit hole. The organization that is currently known as the Atlanta Braves  (formerly of Milwaukee and Boston) was founded back in 1871 before there a MLB or even a National League. Prior to being called the Braves, they operated under several other names: Boston Red Stockings (not to be confused with the AL Boston Red Sox which were not yet in existence), the Boston Red Caps,  and my favorite, the Boston Beaneaters. 😄 True story!  They became the Braves in 1912.

Regardless of the name or which league they played in, they can claim to be the oldest, continuously operating baseball team.

Fun facts to tell at parties.

My favorite weird fact is Baltimore has two sports teams that were previously known as the Browns

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Yes we have the week after thanksgiving 2023 booked , we sailed allure last year and happy to see a oasis class that we haven’t sailed with some new restaurants.

I was checking out Harmony out of Galveston and unless I overlooked every 7 day cruise is the same itinerary.   I actually think it's the same ports we are going to on Allure in January.  I am not ruling it out yet.  Sometimes we just want to cruise no matter what ports.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I basically like Oasis class ships for the entertainment and the specialty restaurants.   The 1st time we did Harmony it was new.  We did Harmony last January and it is still doing great.  I was highly considering a Harmony 8 day for January but the prices for an OVB jumped pretty high.  I had our TA friend check out all the Oasis class ships for January and the Allure out of Galveston was hard to pass on.

We will also be boarding Allure this Saturday.   Remind me and I will try to let you know if I see big differences in the two.

Dining options is one thing I dislike about Harmony. 

Wonderland is not my taste

Jamie's is awful

No Playmaker's 

No free Mexican

Worst CK in fleet

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I was checking out Harmony out of Galveston and unless I overlooked every 7 day cruise is the same itinerary.   I actually think it's the same ports we are going to on Allure in January.  I am not ruling it out yet.  Sometimes we just want to cruise no matter what ports.

That tends to happen out of Galveston. Limited choices

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

If the food is real bad, check out Giovanni’s.  Personal opinion but I think it's better than Jamies on other ships. It's never disappointed me. Ossobucco was one of the better dishes.

We will be trying out Giovanni’s next week.  We did Jamie's a couple times and I didn't care for it.  The others I cruised with liked it the 1st cruise but we were all disappointed the second time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We will be trying out Giovanni’s next week.  We did Jamie's a couple times and I didn't care for it.  The others I cruised with liked it the 1st cruise but we were all disappointed the second time.

I find Giovanni’s hit or miss lots of people prefer there steak over chops , I do like there antipasto . 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Jamie's is awful

No Playmaker's 

No free Mexican

Worst CK in fleet

We liked Wonderland but it is not for everyone.  

I don't do Playmakers so I didn't notice it missing.   Having the UDP next week, I did notice Allure is missing it.  If Allure had Playmakers I would be trying the food there.

Symphony had free Mexican and I did not like it.

I liked the CK breakfast and lunch.  Didn't bother eating dinner there.  Had a bad dinner on Symphony at CK so we skipped Harmony. 

They had a great place to watch the NCAA football Championship game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, George C said:

I find Giovanni’s hit or miss lots of people prefer there steak over chops , I do like there antipasto . 

I have heard that about the steak and plan to have one there.  Can you also order a pasta dish along with a steak?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Cleanest restrooms and the best bbq sandwiches.

Walking along The Strand and Seawall is a treat I hope you won't miss.

What hotel are you staying in?

Hope you're pleasantly surprised at the food on Liberty.

Enjoy every moment!

Yes I have heard about the BBQ at Buc-ee’s and want to try it.

Staying at the Beach Front Palms on Seawall.

I hope the food will be good too.

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Leave yourself some extra time, just for that.  Build it into your schedule.  

Susan rushed me out when we stopped at one in Florida.  Said we had a schedule to keep. 🤣

That fastest route gets us there in under 12 hours. We plan on leaving at 5am and figuring with gas stops and potty breaks to arrive between 6pm and 7pm. Going to switch driving between Linda and I every 3-4 hours. It will be tough but we have never done a drive that long and want to see how we handle it.

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I agree. One of the best Filets I’ve ever had. Much better than Jamie’s.

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Thanks I will check it out.

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Already on my list for Friday evening cocktails. I like the fact they have a tiki bar there too.

12 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have heard that about the steak and plan to have one there.  Can you also order a pasta dish along with a steak?

Yes and the filet is incredible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Jamie's is awful

No Playmaker's 

No free Mexican

Worst CK in fleet

Awesome.😐 So they send it to Ft. Lauderdale.😏

• Haha 1