Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 2/27/2021 at 9:18 PM, singinalot said:

my cousin introduced me to this brand in FL last week and honestly I’d never had Pinot either...I’m now a convert

592642A0-3392-4334-9E97-7C9265318D47.jpeg

I just bought a bottle of this Chloe at Total Wine.  I only drink red, but I am going to have my husband try it. He has been sampling different Pinot Grigios lately. Cheers. 🍷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Great, someone who owns an S21. What does he think of the phone in general and what phone did he upgrade from?

One of my favorite tech guys on YouTube is Marques Brownlee, aka MKBHD.  He's a very unbiased reviewer (as far as I can tell).  He does a great job covering a lot of different phones and has reviews of both the S21 and the S21 Ultra first impressions and an S21 Ultra review.  I'm an iPhone guy and haven't paid close attention to his Samsung reviews but I believe that he is a fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

One of my favorite tech guys on YouTube is Marques Brownlee, aka MKBHD.  He's a very unbiased reviewer (as far as I can tell).  He does a great job covering a lot of different phones and has reviews of both the S21 and the S21 Ultra first impressions and an S21 Ultra review.  I'm an iPhone guy and haven't paid close attention to his Samsung reviews but I believe that he is a fan.

Thanks. I will check him out. I have watched quite a few youtube reviews. Appreciate the recommendation.

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

How do I know a phone gets 5G. Can anyone summarise what better about the A20 vs the A50 samsung. I dont know enough about tech to start, reviews dont help much. 

I'd like to stick with samsung, as my high end tablets for games are samsung and my last 2 phones are samsung.

Is there a reason to jump now to the A50 vs the A20 or A21? I use my tablet for pictures, I dont use my cell phone much tbh. Like the A50 gets 5G and lower versions dont? Go easy on me, I'm not tech. I'm watching prices and they are coming down. I'd buy thru my provider website, just so it's set up for them. Current prices ...which is all I know. 

20210301_122231859.jpeg

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Today we went to visit, for the 1st time after one year, a dear friend of us, who accidentally has his foot in a cast.

Another friend, who just bought an iphone 12 pro max (1520$, monthly payments for 36 months), was eager to "demonstrate" the 3 cameras performance (v. Galaxy S21). 

So I let him take pictures of our brunch. 

@Milwaukee Eight @bobmacliberty  @A&L_Ont

BTW, DH still thinks that Galaxy S21 is better....

Sara1.jpg

Sara2.jpg

What is it that looks like Ham on left side of the table?

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's one of the benefits of the Sleep Number beds.  I like my side a little firmer than my wife.  We each have our own settings.

Got lucky with that big foam topper on the large firm mattress.  We are both comfortable now, must have been just enough mix.  😉 

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

If it looks like Ham... Ham it is (I ate most of it.... vegetables don't "speak" to me 😁)

I loved my time in Israel. Loved so many ways vegetable were cooked. Plenty of Salmon. But gosh I sure missed my bacon and red meat. We had steaks at a winery and they were thin, cooked well done, and like cardboard. The locals thought it was good.

Guess what the boss wants for dinner?  Pork shoulder shanks with bone in. 

M8 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StanleyandGus said:

Pictures please!

We have chosen almost everything for our main bathroom, except for the quartz countertop. I’m hoping for inspiration! 😁

I need to tread lightly right now with "the plumber" ...as he is not a happy camper.  Parts for the connections were wrong.  Back to Lowes again.  😞 

Once done...pictures will be next.  😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Great, someone who owns an S21. What does he think of the phone in general and what phone did he upgrade from?

24 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I was a Android user until the Boss converted me to Apple. 😎❤️

He was always a Samsung user (doesn't like Apple's "modus operandi"), and I'm always been iphone...

He isn't much of a phone user, just for taking pictures, therefore that's the main thing that interest him (of course he has a nice Nikon too, and looking to upgrade it).

He isn't much into mobile's upgrading, until his Samsung is on the verge of collapsing.... 

In those "circumstances" he upgraded from 7 (yes.....) to S21...

About the camera, he said something along the lines of "many pixels..." in comparison to 12 prox max.

He says it's all about "what do you need your mobile for"....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Add me to the list of people that want to know. Currently mattress shopping. Intrigued by the whole bed-in-a-box thing. I know Nectar has a pretty generous home-trial and return policy but I guess I'm old school and want to try in the store first.

We've been checking out hybrid mattress which seems to work for us.  I found Purple way to soft and bouncy, even the "firm" one.  Casper seems pretty good as does a couple of Sealy models. Right now, Aireloom - a fine California company that was favored by Ronald Regan & other celebrities - is on the top of the list. A bit pricey but Macy's has a 50% off sale  with free shipping and adjustable base thrown in which makes it competitive.

We bought a Nectar in April/May.  An upgrade for us- from a queen to a king.  That alone was great, it is like we each have our own zip code.  

For the mattress, my husband prefers firm.  He loves it.  I prefer not as firm, but not sleeping on feathers.  So, we are both happy.  And for us, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How do I know a phone gets 5G. Can anyone summarise what better about the A20 vs the A50 samsung. I dont know enough about tech to start, reviews dont help much. 

I'd like to stick with samsung, as my high end tablets for games are samsung and my last 2 phones are samsung.

Is there a reason to jump now to the A50 vs the A20 or A21? I use my tablet for pictures, I dont use my cell phone much tbh. Like the A50 gets 5G and lower versions dont? Go easy on me, I'm not tech. I'm watching prices and they are coming down. I'd buy thru my provider website, just so it's set up for them. Current prices ...which is all I know. 

20210301_122231859.jpeg

I can't help much with Samsung but can give some general advice.  First...5G (5th Generation) is the latest/fastest standard for cellular communication.  There are a few "flavors" of 5G which are marketed under different names by different companies.  The fastest version currently requires you to be very close to a cell antenna to get the really (REALLY!) fast speeds.  This means that a LOT of additional antennas need to be installed as compared to what exists today for 4G cell towers.  This is slowly happening, but most people with 5G phones are using a slower version of 5G that is only a little bit faster than the current 4G cell network.

5G is different from WiFi.  It's the native cellular communications.  If you do not need a very fast internet connection on your phone or tablet when you are not near WiFi, then 5G won't do much for you today.  Said another way, if you don't have any problems with internet speeds using your 4G cell phone today, you won't see much benefit from 5G.

The A20, A50, etc. that you mention are various Samsung phone models.  Generally, the higher numbered models will be newer and/or have more features.  These features will include things like screen technology/size/refresh rate (impacting the quality of what you see on the screen), the phone's processor (impacts overall performance of the phone), the battery size, the camera quality, etc.  Phone manufacturers, Samsung included, sell a "suite" of models at different price/performance points so that they can have something that's attractive to all types of users.  Some people just want to make phone/video calls, text, maybe check email, and maybe look at the internet occasionally.  Others want to run high speed interactive games across the internet, stream live video a lot, and take a lot of pictures/videos.

Best bet is to find a knowledgeable sales person in your cell phone store who can talk with you about how you use your phone (now and possibly in the near future) and then match that with a particular model.  I sometimes wonder if phone manufacturers purposely make things difficult to understand so that people end up spending more on a phone than they really need to, and upgrade more frequently than they need to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bucky and I both got Samsung Galaxy A10e phones over a year ago.  I love mine, but too complicated for Bucky.  I help him out when needed, since he threatens to toss it through the window sometimes.  

Dealing with a grouchy plumber currently (he hates plumbing jobs the most).  😝   Maybe I should turn his phone off for now.  😣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

Pictures please!

We have chosen almost everything for our main bathroom, except for the quartz countertop. I’m hoping for inspiration! 😁

I took the sample from the cabinets we ordered out to the quartz yard (it's a big place that does a lot of cabinets and quartz etc. tops for both kitchens and bathrooms).  We are thinking of having them do our office as well.  

Matched up the wood color to one of the the slabs in the storage yard...was easy peasy.  Got lucky on the choice of paint we put in there, since it had been months since I even saw the slab and forgot what it really looked like.  Luckily everything matched!  🤗

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Dealing with a grouchy plumber currently (he hates plumbing jobs the most).  😝   Maybe I should turn his phone off for now.  😣

I don't mind doing any type of electrical work at all.  Doesn't scare me because I understand how it works.  No concerns at all about shocks or electrical fires.  Plumbing however, I also hate.  Part of it is because I can't walk for a day after laying on my back under a sink, and part is because I have this fear of slow leaks when I'm done that will eventually cause bigger problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the mattress info, we are in the market for a new one.  I prefer a softer mattress myself and I find the ones on RCI too firm even with one of their egg crates.  The comments about a firm mattress reminds me of my mother-in-law's mattress.  She just loves it.  I swear she must have bought it at the same store that Fred Flintstone bought his.  It is like a brick.  I plopped myself down on it one day and I swear I might have broken a vertebrate. 

I broke down and just bought a new phone after seven years.  It was paid for and I had no problem using it overseas but AT&T gave me the line that it was not going to work soon.  That was about six months ago but I didn't want to take my chances they were not exaggerating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheal said:

Thanks for the mattress info, we are in the market for a new one.  I prefer a softer mattress myself and I find the ones on RCI too firm even with one of their egg crates.  The comments about a firm mattress reminds me of my mother-in-law's mattress.  She just loves it.  I swear she must have bought it at the same store that Fred Flintstone bought his.  It is like a brick.  I plopped myself down on it one day and I swear I might have broken a vertebrate. 

I broke down and just bought a new phone after seven years.  It was paid for and I had no problem using it overseas but AT&T gave me the line that it was not going to work soon.  That was about six months ago but I didn't want to take my chances they were not exaggerating.

Sleep Number can be what you want it to be. From so soft you can’t get out to so firm you can flip a coin off it. Each side is adjustable to fit individual need.  We have the 360 split bed so adjustments are set to individual. The sheets are a pain but well worth it. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I can't help much with Samsung but can give some general advice.  First...5G (5th Generation) is the latest/fastest standard for cellular communication.  There are a few "flavors" of 5G which are marketed under different names by different companies.  The fastest version currently requires you to be very close to a cell antenna to get the really (REALLY!) fast speeds.  This means that a LOT of additional antennas need to be installed as compared to what exists today for 4G cell towers.  This is slowly happening, but most people with 5G phones are using a slower version of 5G that is only a little bit faster than the current 4G cell network.

5G is different from WiFi.  It's the native cellular communications.  If you do not need a very fast internet connection on your phone or tablet when you are not near WiFi, then 5G won't do much for you today.  Said another way, if you don't have any problems with internet speeds using your 4G cell phone today, you won't see much benefit from 5G.

The A20, A50, etc. that you mention are various Samsung phone models.  Generally, the higher numbered models will be newer and/or have more features.  These features will include things like screen technology/size/refresh rate (impacting the quality of what you see on the screen), the phone's processor (impacts overall performance of the phone), the battery size, the camera quality, etc.  Phone manufacturers, Samsung included, sell a "suite" of models at different price/performance points so that they can have something that's attractive to all types of users.  Some people just want to make phone/video calls, text, maybe check email, and maybe look at the internet occasionally.  Others want to run high speed interactive games across the internet, stream live video a lot, and take a lot of pictures/videos.

Best bet is to find a knowledgeable sales person in your cell phone store who can talk with you about how you use your phone (now and possibly in the near future) and then match that with a particular model.  I sometimes wonder if phone manufacturers purposely make things difficult to understand so that people end up spending more on a phone than they really need to, and upgrade more frequently than they need to.

Actually I do need fast speed wifi and a lot of ram and storage, which is why I have a excellent tablet (which I thought was lost and bought a 2nd so now I have 2 tablets which were expensive, but are fast, have lots of ram, and storage and I dont have to force close my game ...like my older tablet with less ram)., so I understand the specifications but not 5g because I dont use a cell phone much.

So if there are 3 types of 5g, I can choose which. I think I read the A20 needs something added to use 5g. 

I'm in dallas 99% so I'd assume we have areas with the fast towers? Being a large city. 

I wouldnt upgrade to 5g until I understand what it needs. 

I've been a gamer forever, not a phone camera type..sorry. I guess I learned what I needed but didnt take in stuff non game related. My cousins sure take great bird photos, who are into bird watching. 

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky and I both got Samsung Galaxy A10e phones over a year ago.  I love mine, but too complicated for Bucky.  I help him out when needed, since he threatens to toss it through the window sometimes.  

I need you when I need instruction, are you for rent lol.

I'm with Bucky about throwing my phone out the window. Funny because I love my tablets.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't mind doing any type of electrical work at all.  Doesn't scare me because I understand how it works.  No concerns at all about shocks or electrical fires.  Plumbing however, I also hate.  Part of it is because I can't walk for a day after laying on my back under a sink, and part is because I have this fear of slow leaks when I'm done that will eventually cause bigger problems.

Absolutely the same thing for Bucky.  He enjoys the electric part, and in fact worked as electrician in his younger years.  But hates the plumbing work for the exact reasons you listed.  His most favorite projects are anything with wood working though.  He has a real talent for it.  I just bought him a tee shirt that states on it "Sawdust is Man Glitter".  😄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1