Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I haven't been around over the past 5-6 weeks and my absence was noticed on the Bella thread. I posted the below explanation and figured I'd share it here as well:

I didn’t think I was popular enough that my absence would be noticed. If it wasn’t for an e-mail alert from a month ago I stumbled across when cleaning out my inbox, I never would have seen I was mentioned. Thanks @Coralc for realizing I have not been around.  I’ve never been one to share a ton of personal info on these boards but I also have wondered when frequent posters just suddenly disappear without reason.  So here goes:

I awoke Easter Sunday morning to a devastating tragedy that left someone near and dear to my heart fighting a losing battle for her life. Totally out of left field. One day, everything is perfectly normal, the next day my world is in upheaval and falling apart quickly. The prognosis is quite grim, in fact, it would take an Oasis-class ship full of miracles for her to even have any kind of “meaningful recovery” (God, how I hate that term). What little free time I have to surf the Internet is now spent looking for Medical, Legal and Financial advice. While the CC forums are full of self-proclaimed experts offering free advice, I decided to spend oodles of money to meet people face-to-face for advice and guidance.  I’m blessed with a very large support group of family and friends so I’ll still be standing once this hellish nightmare ends.

While I’m pretty sure my cruising days are over for now as I can’t imagine getting on a ship without my cruise partner by my side, I may still visit CC once in a while, if only to escape the harsh realities of life.  Not sure if I’ll be an active participate or a lurker in the shadows.  I’ve enjoyed the playful banter and all my interactions with each and every one of you. Even those who I may have had disagreements with in the past, it’s been all in good fun as I’ve never taken anything too serious. I’m sure there are one or two who are wondering if this is a real situation (trust me, I wish it wasn’t) or inappropriate post on a fun, cruise forum, flame me if you must.  Back in my young and stupid days on forums long gone, I might have done the same. But I’ve mellowed with age and experience.

So many trite and cliché sayings have popped into my head during this ordeal. I’ll end with this one: Give you loved ones an extra-long hug each night as you don’t know what the mornings will bring.

Life is Good. Be kind. Peace Out!

EDIT TO ADD: I’m also not paying close attention to the news.  War again in the Middle East?? Stay safe Dani, wishing you and your family the best of luck in your own nightmare. Fingers crossed it be will resolved quickly, at least this chapter of that conflict. There is already one too many tragic stories being posted on these boards.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Thanks @Coralc for realizing I have not been around.  

I've also noticed that you've not been around from April 4th, but then again, so is Domino O, M8, Mister Gut and many others.... Makes you wonder, and even worry, but there is nothing you can do about it, since it is an anonymous forum. And free to participate.

I struggle with words, since I've "been there done that" in this dear hopeless country of mine many times. My heart goes out to you, and, as you say, we have to cherish every single moment with our loved ones. Nobody promised us a "garden of roses".

Warmest wishes of strength, 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I haven't been around over the past 5-6 weeks and my absence was noticed on the Bella thread. I posted the below explanation and figured I'd share it here as well:

I didn’t think I was popular enough that my absence would be noticed. If it wasn’t for an e-mail alert from a month ago I stumbled across when cleaning out my inbox, I never would have seen I was mentioned. Thanks @Coralc for realizing I have not been around.  I’ve never been one to share a ton of personal info on these boards but I also have wondered when frequent posters just suddenly disappear without reason.  So here goes:

I awoke Easter Sunday morning to a devastating tragedy that left someone near and dear to my heart fighting a losing battle for her life. Totally out of left field. One day, everything is perfectly normal, the next day my world is in upheaval and falling apart quickly. The prognosis is quite grim, in fact, it would take an Oasis-class ship full of miracles for her to even have any kind of “meaningful recovery” (God, how I hate that term). What little free time I have to surf the Internet is now spent looking for Medical, Legal and Financial advice. While the CC forums are full of self-proclaimed experts offering free advice, I decided to spend oodles of money to meet people face-to-face for advice and guidance.  I’m blessed with a very large support group of family and friends so I’ll still be standing once this hellish nightmare ends.

While I’m pretty sure my cruising days are over for now as I can’t imagine getting on a ship without my cruise partner by my side, I may still visit CC once in a while, if only to escape the harsh realities of life.  Not sure if I’ll be an active participate or a lurker in the shadows.  I’ve enjoyed the playful banter and all my interactions with each and every one of you. Even those who I may have had disagreements with in the past, it’s been all in good fun as I’ve never taken anything too serious. I’m sure there are one or two who are wondering if this is a real situation (trust me, I wish it wasn’t) or inappropriate post on a fun, cruise forum, flame me if you must.  Back in my young and stupid days on forums long gone, I might have done the same. But I’ve mellowed with age and experience.

So many trite and cliché sayings have popped into my head during this ordeal. I’ll end with this one: Give you loved ones an extra-long hug each night as you don’t know what the mornings will bring.

Life is Good. Be kind. Peace Out!

EDIT TO ADD: I’m also not paying close attention to the news.  War again in the Middle East?? Stay safe Dani, wishing you and your family the best of luck in your own nightmare. Fingers crossed it be will resolved quickly, at least this chapter of that conflict. There is already one too many tragic stories being posted on these boards.

We are both deeply saddened to hear about your dear wife's illness.

Pauline is sobbing her heart out when I read her your post.

We will both say a prayer for you both and Dani in church this morning.

I hope you both get a miracle.

Sending you both our deepest best wishes.

Graham & Pauline.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I've also noticed that you've not been around from April 4th, but then again, so is Domino O, M8, Mister Gut and many others.... Makes you wonder, and even worry, but there is nothing you can do about it, since it is an anonymous forum. And free to participate.

I struggle with words, since I've "been there done that" in this dear hopeless country of mine many times. My heart goes out to you, and, as you say, we have to cherish every single moment with our loved ones. Nobody promised us a "garden of roses".

Warmest wishes of strength, 

Perfectly said Dani.

Best wishes to yourself and all our friends on your thread.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We are both deeply saddened to hear about your dear wife's illness.

Pauline is sobbing her heart out when I read her your post.

We will both say a prayer for you both and Dani in church this morning.

I hope you both get a miracle.

Sending you both our deepest best wishes.

Graham & Pauline.

Thank you Graham.  It's truly touching how Pauline is so affected by my story. I appreciate your support. 💙

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

@dani negreanuI just finished reading the last 11 pages. When I heard the news the other day my thoughts immediately went to you. So glad you and your family are safe, but sorry you are having to go thru this. I can’t even begin to imagine what it must be like. So horrible, if people would just leave others alone and give up the fighting the world would be a much better place for us all. Hope Israel is able to protect themselves. Take care and stay safe. Also keep posting, ranting, venting, etc whatever you need to do to get thru this. Not that I thought you were ranting or venting, but I’m sure I would be. 

In our location we just came out of C19 lockdown so we have the option to have a life that includes dining out, shopping, and many more freedoms. During the lockdown I was a Cruise Critic daily addict as it was on of the few things constructively left to do.

Now I'm back to the old pre-lockdown CC schedule of reading and posting about once a week. Getting through this thread after my 1st week of 'real life' was daunting ... like you I had a lot of pages to catch up with! ... 🙂 ... it was definitely worth it!

Edited by GlobalMethod
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I didn’t think I was popular enough that

I, too, have noriced that you hadn't been around here. I have always enjoyed our interactions. I am truly sorry to read your story today. I would never ask for more information than you want to share as I am also one who rather values privacy and I don't post my life on the internet. I'm sure you have all the expert help you need but if you ever need an extra set of thoughts on the issues, I do know a thing or two about medicine.

Prayers coming your way....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

We hope to do the very same in Sept.  I remember Mariner way back in 2008 the year of Ike.  We barely made it out of Texas, they had closed the airport.  We left early and made it to Florida and we went to  Grills for drinks evening before sailaway...so fun.

Mariner in 2008 was what sold us on Royal👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I, personally, detest the term "new normal". It is a prolonged abnormal that we have been living.  There is nothing "normal" about it. Social distancing is another gimicky cutesy term I can't stand. Distancing from other people used to be termed "anti social."

That is why it is the "new" normal for me, not just normal. You can call it whatever you like or detest it. You don't have to like it.

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I, personally, detest the term "new normal". It is a prolonged abnormal that we have been living.  There is nothing "normal" about it. Social distancing is another gimicky cutesy term I can't stand. Distancing from other people used to be termed "anti social."

I'm not a fan of the 'Loyal to Royal' moniker

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm not a fan of the 'Loyal to Royal' moniker

LOL! 😁

I am not loyal at all ....we have been on Norwegian more than Royal. Love them both. I Iike Princess, Carnival and HAL. Heck anything "cruise" I am all for it!😁

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

We’ve already shuffled around summer cars this morning. 

We’re just about to start cleaning  the windows. Anyone need a break from cruise critic and wanna come and help?

We're not allowed north of 49, or are we?

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

LOL! 😁

I am not loyal at all ....we have been on Norwegian more than Royal. Love them both. I Iike Princess, Carnival and HAL. Heck anything "cruise" I am all for it!😁

We did around 20 cruises before we settled in on Royal. Actually loved Princess, but PE was 3 hours further south than PC. So we embraced Royal. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Dani - any updates? Stay safe.

Thanks, "just" one siren at midnight.

The "other side" were kind enough to threaten to bomb Tel Aviv and surroundings at midnight, and we were "ready"... They "delivered" on time....

Afterwards I even managed to fall asleep for 4 whole straight hours, which didn't happen for the last nights, when I couldn't do it -- DH is removing his hearing aids when sleeping, and I was afraid I'll not hear the alarm. "Sleeping" with one eye open, as they say.

At the beginning, we downloaded an siren app, but it covers a broad area, and we got alerts when we shouldn't have.

DS1 in Tel Aviv is getting to know his neighbors, when all meet on the stairs, not having a shelter in the old building....

DS2 is OK with his in laws moving in for the "time being".

THANK YOU ALL, it helps enormously that I have this thread "diversion" and a semblance of "normality" (Covid normality, that is...).

• Like 17

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We’ve already shuffled around summer cars this morning.

We’re just about to start cleaning  the windows. Anyone need a break from cruise critic and wanna come and help?

Would love to if only I could get across the border! I'm missing spring in the Rockies again.

Mary

• Like 1