Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

What a great backyard. I would play all day.

We had an empty lot in our neighborhood - it was a baseball diamond / football gridiron / skating rink and soccer field all in one. We were lucky to have 2 baseball bats - the ball was cover in masking tape but we had a blast. We played until the Moms would yell out suppers ready. Those were the days!!!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

After dinner I went to check mom’s house. Heard a rumble and this is what was coming. Just beat the rain home, and we got 1/2 an inch in 20 minutes or so. 

AF16795C-C397-4FCD-979C-E1C082FF86D5.thumb.jpeg.e08b4541ebf8ba8a8e104c486d575597.jpeg

E90EA22C-88BA-4D33-ABF0-E1C69861E67F.thumb.jpeg.18367960cc68ce3e4302cbecbe1c21bb.jpeg

Beautiful photos as always.    

My Brother and his wife, arrived at our shore house today and they will be here until Sunday evening.    They brought with them some rain clouds and it poured for about an hour then it has been nice and sunny since.     We are enjoying happy hour on the deck now.    

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

We had an empty lot in our neighborhood - it was a baseball diamond / football gridiron / skating rink and soccer field all in one. We were lucky to have 2 baseball bats - the ball was cover in masking tape but we had a blast. We played until the Moms would yell out suppers ready. Those were the days!!!!

Skelly, kick the can, potsy, ringaleevio, water gun fights, were the games of choice in lower Manhattan where I grew up.  Like the theme song from the tv show Brooklyn Bridge: 

The backyards, and the school yards And the trees that watched us grow, The days of love when dinner time was all you had to know. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Skelly, kick the can, potsy, ringaleevio, water gun fights, were the games of choice in lower Manhattan where I grew up.  Like the theme song from the tv show Brooklyn Bridge: 

The backyards, and the school yards And the trees that watched us grow, The days of love when dinner time was all you had to know. 

I wouldn't trade my childhood for today..............never!!!!!

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

So true - jump on that bike and peddle like crazy back home...........and don't be late!!!!!!

None of my friends had bikes.  We all had roller skates and wore the skate key to tighten and loosen them around our necks.

Vintage Winchester Roller Skates Metal Adjustable Classic Mid Century

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

None of my friends had bikes.  We all had roller skates and wore the skate key to tighten and loosen them around our necks.

Vintage Winchester Roller Skates Metal Adjustable Classic Mid Century

I never had a pair of those but did roller skate a a place called Guptill's Arena..........it is still there. Skated there in the late 1950's - great memories. We would hitch hike - safe way back then!!!!

https://www.guptillsarena.com/index.html

1 hour ago, cruise wizard said:

We played stickball in the middle of the street in summer and hockey again in middle of the street on roller skates in Brooklyn, climbed over the fence of the school yard to play softball and basketball, half the time softball was also covered in tape . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George C said:

We played stickball in the middle of the street in summer and hockey again in middle of the street on roller skates in Brooklyn, climbed over the fence of the school yard to play softball and basketball, half the time softball was also covered in tape . 

I forgot that we also had a basketball court - uneven ground - rim with no net........low scoring games!!!! Our baseball had electrical tape and masking tape layers - one bat's handle was screwed to the upper half where it originally split and the rock bases made sliding a bit hazardous.............and no back stop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruise wizard said:

I never had a pair of those but did roller skate a a place called Guptill's Arena..........it is still there. Skated there in the late 1950's - great memories. We would hitch hike - safe way back then!!!!

https://www.guptillsarena.com/index.html

No arenas for us, just local sidewalks.  Some of the "rich" kids owned ice skates and they skated at the Central Park Ice Rink.  I too, wouldn't give up my childhood for anything.  My daughter luckily says the same thing about hers.  That makes me happy!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

Sounds exactly like my neighborhood growing up, except for the skating rink part.  We would play street hockey all winter.  Someone would yell CAR!!.  We'd move the nets out of the way, let the car pass, put the nets back, and keep playing.  Seems like we did that for hours.  It was a said day when a house was built on the empty lot and we lost our baseball field.

• Like 4

Time for some bourbon and Advil.  Moving is definitely a young man's game.  Good thing we had 2 BFs helping or I'd be in traction right now.  DD23 is safely ensconced in her new apartment, working with Micheline on decorating and arranging.  I've got one day to recover before doing it again for DD26.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

and come home when the streetlights come on

Not just the kids.My father would go to a park to play cards and if he was not home by 10 PM my mother would send me there to look for him.It never dawned on us that there were different ways to walk home.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

No arenas for us, just local sidewalks.  Some of the "rich" kids owned ice skates and they skated at the Central Park Ice Rink.  I too, wouldn't give up my childhood for anything.  My daughter luckily says the same thing about hers.  That makes me happy!

Oh the "good old days"................our grand kids will never have the same experiences.

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I just got off the phone with a childhood friend who I last saw 66 years ago.We were discussing our childhood and the fact that our grandkids never heard of most of the games we played when we were kids.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Never could afford roller skates - rental skates included for a small upcharge. When I looked for a link to our old skating spot, I was surprised that it is in the Guinness Book (makes feel even older now).

1 hour ago, George C said:

My local school had an upstairs school years that was not fenced in and a downstairs one that was.We played stickball ,basketball and punch ball in the upstairs one and softball in the downstairs one by climbing over the fence.

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Time for some bourbon and Advil.  Moving is definitely a young man's game.  Good thing we had 2 BFs helping or I'd be in traction right now.  DD23 is safely ensconced in her new apartment, working with Micheline on decorating and arranging.  I've got one day to recover before doing it again for DD26.

You are going to be buff by cruising time!!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never learned how to ride a bike.I still have a roller skate key.

Did it all. I also have an old roller skate key. I didn't realize I had it until a few weeks ago when I was looking for a screwdriver in my tool box and there it was.  I made my first skate board in 1962 out of roller skates and a 2x4. Not very stable but fun. 

• Like 4