Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Welcome back, glad you managed to "squeeze" a visit to your mom.

I keep reading that UK has trouble getting back on track, what with the Indian version spreading like fire, and my fingers are crossed that the rate of vaccinations will speed up.

Our rates were right down to under a 1000 a day and one or two deaths but they have shot up over 7000 a day, but hospital stays are still trending down and deaths are still at single digits.  This is mainly because the Indian variant is 40% more transmissible than the English variant, but also because we are mixing more. The full opening later this month may be pushed back a few weeks.

Yesterday we opened up vaccination for 25-30s and had over a million bookings in one day which is a lot for our little island .

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Yesterday we opened up vaccination for 25-30s and had over a million bookings in one day which is a lot for our little island .

Blighty, aka your little island -- I like the understatement 😉.

But, seriously, the problem I see is the "interpretation" given to the recommended gap between the shots.

That's a quite big "catch 22" -- give one shot to more people, or 2 shots to less....

10 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Blighty, aka your little island -- I like the understatement 😉.

But, seriously, the problem I see is the "interpretation" given to the recommended gap between the shots.

That's a quite big "catch 22" -- give one shot to more people, or 2 shots to less....

The protection was something like over 70% for one jab of both AZ and PZ for the English variant but I think it's less for the Indian.  The rationale behind it was to give good level of protection to as many people as possible, as quickly as possible . Now most 50s and up have had two jabs and we are now jabbing the 20s I think the gap between jabs will shrink to 8 weeks or less.🤞

Just hoping the final restrictions will be lifted in time for our sons wedding in August 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

So I have been away for a while, since last month.  

As Gibraltar became a green country for the UK I booked a flight.  Working out the pre and post flight covid tests was a bit stressful but it all worked out well.  I had not seen my 92 yr old parents since Feb 2020.  When I said I was visiting my sister and her partner did an overnight and we had a nice time in the garden and went out for an evening meal.  

I actually have to say that the train journey to my parents’ house was stressful.  I went through Birmingham New Street - OMG how many people on the train without facemasks.  The lift from the station was full!!  When I arrived I was like “don’t touch me, I need a shower and made sure everything I was wearing went in the washer.  

It all worked out well.  The weather was lovely all week too.  We managed to do lots of work on the garden which has been my mother’s pride and joy.  She will not do as she is told and get a gardner, but at least we have made things fit for early summer.   I bought her a load of new shrubs for her birthday and we got them planted.  Of course the weeds will come back, but at least it will keep things down for a while. 

Bit of a drama coming back when the plane was not working.  We ended up having a night in Birmingham airport.  I had to tell my boss not to expect me for a further 24 hours.  Fortunately we have been together since 1983 so we accept the occasional ‘life has got in the way’ occasions.  Eastern Airways looked after us too.  We got checked into the Novotel with a good supper and breakfast.  Everything was done with a smile and of course the airport was quiet so no queues at checkin or passport control when we came back in the morning.  

The extra covid tests and passenger locator forms are stressful, what if you get a positive???  I love that people are wanting to visit Gibraltar, but to be honest I don’t think a holiday that requires a flight is worth it.  

That's great you were to see your parents and help them with chores around the house/garden.  I'm sure they were happy to see everyone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is 8 hours since Pauline had her second vaccine jab and 🤞she has not had any side effects so far and she actually cut the grass in our back garden after we got home.

Glad to see that she is doing well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a touch of dicey weather late afternoon from the heat and humidity.  I went for Pizza and saw this along the way. I never like clouds with a tail. 

04BA1FD7-F192-47F2-BE1F-D4F78A6E1111.thumb.jpeg.f8775eba2351b8a2394938201cd3fee8.jpeg

I was catching up to the tail and the temp dropped about 18F in a few miles. 

758F57CD-A65D-4001-A4D9-BB2C70855133.thumb.jpeg.fbee6a6d43a7c458d95c2944decfed09.jpeg

225EBEE3-1D9C-4069-9D2C-E83C7FCFDADD.thumb.jpeg.7d215b911e1b3db4e51d20de7b8ca316.jpeg

It was worth the drive. 

C75218AF-40B3-4502-807F-508F30022251.thumb.jpeg.ee19fd7b9f969ddf7a39db839db65522.jpeg

• Like 10

We have some tree frogs that look exactly like that.  It is amazing how they can blend in.  They were on the brick of my outdoor kitchen last summer and I pointed it out to the DW, Krystal, and she couldn’t see it.  On a red and black brick.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is 8 hours since Pauline had her second vaccine jab and 🤞she has not had any side effects so far and she actually cut the grass in our back garden after we got home.

With all the photos of this elegant lady, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around her cutting the grass. 😱  She should be sitting in a lounge, drinking champagne, and watching someone else do it. 😁

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

With all the photos of this elegant lady, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around her cutting the grass. 😱  

Or Pressure Washing the patio, which he also mentioned. LOL :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Our rates were right down to under a 1000 a day and one or two deaths but they have shot up over 7000 a day, but hospital stays are still trending down and deaths are still at single digits.  This is mainly because the Indian variant is 40% more transmissible than the English variant, but also because we are mixing more. The full opening later this month may be pushed back a few weeks.

Great to hear so many getting vaccinated around the world.  It has made so much difference in Gibraltar.  I cannot recall when we last had someone in hospital.  No deaths for a couple of months.  

There still are a few people testing positive - and this does include people who are vaccinated, but the numbers are right down but they are not getting very sick.  

• Like 7

On 6/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, grapau27 said:

I don't either.

Hopefully it's only a mini vacation as I was looking forward to seeing his new house being built.

Same here. We never had a house built so it was going to be cool seeing one built for someone I “know”.

• Like 3

On 6/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, bobmacliberty said:

Probably a safe bet that cheese isn't the first item on the ingredients list.

Maybe not even in there at all. 😁

On 6/8/2021 at 11:59 AM, John&LaLa said:

I may pick up the slack, but not at the detail he was sharing

Just copy and paste what he says.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 12:26 PM, George C said:

We haven’t flown yet but about a week after we get back from our July St Maarten cruise we are off to Buffalo, they are having a memorial for my wife’s uncle who passed last year from Covid, so good chance so she can see her family and friends , they almost never have direct flights and we were able to get them both ways. 
  On my cousin vinny the guy who plays the sheriff is also in one of our favorite movies Animal House,

Sorry to hear about your wife’s uncle.

On 6/8/2021 at 4:55 PM, grapau27 said:

We have had no rain for about 10 days which is unusual for us so tonight after cutting the grass we got the hosepipe out again.

This is our front garden.

IMG_20210608_185013.jpg

Very beautiful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

It felt so good to attend a first concert since the lockdown at the County Fair today.  Really enjoyed Journey Revisited while watching the fluffy clouds roll by.   Not the real Journey but these guys were still very good.  

239B69EB-1A09-4A0C-AEBC-B4C658D91960.thumb.jpeg.334cb4349102c6debc89c0ca09c5f245.jpeg

San Mateo County Fair? We read that they were having theirs. How fun! :classic_biggrin: