US halts passport services

Dh mailed renewal application july 27th (via express mail).  Check cashed.  Email received saying new passport on its way.  Should be received by August 15th!  Barely 3 weeks.  No complaints.  Now we need somewhere to go!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rcixfan5 said:

Do they automatically send back the old cancelled passports or do you need to request that somehow? This is my first renewal.

I received  my new passport about 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting for my old cancelled passport to arrive. They are sent separately.

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

Just a bit of an update to my above post (#125). I received an email that Global Entry appointments will resume after Sept 8th.

I called the other day and they told me my time to get my GE interview was extended by 180 days. I will go to a local Airport (SFO) once they are open again for appointments.

Edited by AlanF65

On 8/8/2020 at 7:17 AM, mac_tlc said:

Mailed our renewal application on 5/25, check cashed 6/1. Received email saying application was approved on Thursday, 8/6. Passport should arrive by 8/12. 

mac_tlc

Update::

Received new passport yesterday. Wife’s should be here 8/18. Our applications were sent in at the same time.

mac_tlc

It seems the backlog is being handled separately from those that were sent in recently.   We know dh's arrived in Nashville distribution center this morning.   Now they have to figure out how to deliver it ( earlier this summer I had a package that seemed to walk around town before they delivered it!) so now 23 wait.

I can't tell you how many emails I've received that Global Entry is available for appointments when coming in from a flight. That doesn't help me at all. Waiting for appointments to be open to book for LAX after Sept 8th.

Received my renewed passport today, nearly 5 months after I mailed it to the Philadelphia location. Return address on the packaging said it came from the Charleston, SC location.

But interestingly enough, when I checked the tracking information online after I initially got notification that it shipped, the first entry said this:

August 14, 2020, 6:21 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
HOT SPRINGS NATIONAL PARK, AR 71913

which I thought was strange since I mailed my stuff to Philadelphia. And why would my renewal be coming from a National Park. And today I see the return address on the packaging said Charleston, SC. Perhaps they're electronically moving application information between facilities for faster processing while some of the facilities are not yet fully operational. 

Edited by NCMtnBoys

1 hour ago, NCMtnBoys said:

Received my renewed passport today, nearly 5 months after I mailed it to the Philadelphia location. Return address on the packaging said it came from the Charleston, SC location.

But interestingly enough, when I checked the tracking information online after I initially got notification that it shipped, the first entry said this:

which I thought was strange since I mailed my stuff to Philadelphia. And why would my renewal be coming from a National Park. And today I see the return address on the packaging said Charleston, SC. Perhaps they're electronically moving application information between facilities for faster processing while some of the facilities are not yet fully operational. 

I just sent mine for renewal today and it was also addressed to Philadelphia.  I hope to get it back by January!  I'll see where it goes also.  

2 hours ago, NCMtnBoys said:

After receipt they disburse the applications to various offices.  The ones that are currently being sent in for renewal are coming back in about 3-4 weeks.  Dh sent his Philadelphia and the new one came from Tuscon. 

6 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I received another email that our passports are approved and have now shipped.

Submit Date: 03/26/2020

Checks Cashed: 03/30/2020

Approved/Ship: 08/19/2020

We sent ours in a month later than that and received them about 2 weeks ago.  I wonder if it was because we said we have a resort stay planned in late Sept. (that we still hope to go to!)?  

• Like 1