The One Question Cruise Lines Need to Answer to Bring Back Bookings!

5 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Looks like CDC updated some of the guidelines on getting off the ship:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

If you read this, cruise passengers who are well cannot fly home or go home by any public transportation. It says: 

Well Travelers

• Before leaving your cabin to begin ship disembarkation, put on a face mask or cloth face covering issued to you by the cruise line. Keep the face covering on from the time you leave your cabin, during disembarkation and during all air and land travel. To the extent possible, do not remove the face covering until you get to your final destination.
  • You should only travel with other well travelers by chartered or private transportation. Do not board a commercial flight or other public transportation.
  • While traveling, you should spread out if space allows (6 feet apart from non-travel companions, if possible). Sit next to your cruise ship travel companion(s) if you’re traveling with someone.
  • If you develop symptoms during travel, notify the medical staff of your symptoms and continue to wear your cloth face covering. If you are on a chartered flight without medical staff, tell the CDC Quarantine Station staff as soon as you disembark the plane.
  • When you arrive at your final destination, you should stay home for 14 days and monitor your health.

If you have a car at the pier waiting for you, you can get home. Otherwise, it will be very hard to get home since we cannot fly after a cruise. 

13 hours ago, The Admiral said:

True I don’t see them starting in may either, but either way the question should be resolved for the future I know every pandemic will be different but if every time a bug comes out of some part of the world this happens the travel industry will never recover.

I find it interesting they take this action with cruise lines but yet they let anyone board a plane spread it around on that flying tube for a few hours, land two hours later and all those plane passengers Deborah and become new vectors of the disease all over the country! Makes no sense you either lock planes and ships down or neither. But I understand I’m not a dr so maybe I’m wrong in my thinking. 

While your point about the airlines operating and the cruise ships not is valid as far as epidemiology and transmission vectors is concerned, the real difference is that only domestic flights are happening (for the most part), while cruise travel is international.  It really isn't up to the cruise line to come up with a protocol, since it is the federal government (or the government of any port nation that the ship calls at) that can either place the ship in quarantine or refuse entry, and if enough ports do this, you end up with effective quarantine on the ship anyway as you cruise around at sea.  This is a risk you take with international travel, and at any time they could take everyone on an airplane where someone has gotten sick, and decide not to let anyone off the plane until a quarantine facility is set up, and you're placed in quarantine for however long.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Admiral said:

I find it interesting they take this action with cruise lines but yet they let anyone board a plane spread it around on that flying tube for a few hours, land two hours later and all those plane passengers Deborah and become new vectors of the disease all over the country! Makes no sense you either lock planes and ships down or neither. 

I’m an airline pilot. Flying today is very different than it was just a month ago (which feels like it was a year ago). Today, most people flying are doing so for essential reasons, which is the main reason why airlines are still flying. 

There are no crowds. Airports and airplanes are very empty. No lines anywhere. Most businesses are closed, and there’s plenty of space to spread out and maintain “social distancing”. On the airplane, with very low load factors, it’s also easy to maintain distance. Recently, I’ve seen one passenger every 2 or 3 rows. Sarcastically speaking, we say that there’s no better place to social distance and isolate now than at the airport. 

As far as airplane cleanliness goes, we joke that the airplanes haven’t been this clean since the came out of the factory. Frequently throughout the day, the entire airplane is fogged with Matrix-3. Then a cleaning crew comes onboard, with Matrix-3 in spray form and they wipe every surface, seat, tray table, lavatories, etc. I’ve watched them in action, and they are doing a thorough job. And most passengers now, when they come onboard, they wipe their seat with their own wipes as well. Many are wearing masks and gloves. Passengers are in the most part solo travelers. Nobody seems to be traveling for leisure. 

Service is limited. No drinks, ice, cups, selection of snacks, meals in first class, items or purchase, etc. Now everybody just gets a pre-packaged bag containing a bottle of water, cookies, and Purell wipes. Interaction with flight attendants is kept to a minimum. 

The welcome aboard/safety video now contains information on how to stay healthy when you travel, as well as all the safety measures that the airline is taking to address any concerns as one travels. In flight, the aircraft’s air conditioning system recycles and filters the air in the cabin every couple of minutes. 

Long story, short, the airlines are taking measures to ensure safe travel once the crowds do return. Just like during 9/11, some measures will be kept, while others will be abandoned or replaced with more effective ones as time goes by and facts are gained. The cruise lines will need to create their own measures as well. I do agree that certain protocols will need to be in place with local authorities should there be an outbreak onboard, not only for COVID, but for any disease. COVID most likely provided the shake up that has been needed for a long time. Personally, having had to deal with Norovirus on two separate cruises, I’ll be glad to see any new measures that may come out of the current situation to deal with onboard illnesses. 

The last thing that I’ll say is that I am confident that once cases start leveling off, we gather better information and data, hysteria and fear is replaced with facts analysis, and we have time to breathe, the travel industry will come up with new and acceptable measures to make travel the safest it’s probably ever been. As awful as this situation is, I believe that we will greatly benefit from what will come out of it.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 7

There is one question above all you find is not answered on Cruise websites, which if answered would help Cruise lines bring back bookings rocket fast! And that is:

what new process have you worked out with US Authorities so the entire ship doesn’t get quarantined upon return to its home port because of COVID-19?

A major issue I and many others have is, that very few, if any people can afford to be out of work 14 or more days on top of their vacation time and that is keeping a lot of people from taking a risk and going on a cruise and possibly loosing their jobs over a vacation. Passengers cannot be stuck in limbo because one person gets sick and then when you return to home port it causes the ship to not be allowed to disembark passengers! The odds of one person out of 5,000 (crew and passengers) getting some type of flu like symptoms COVID-19 or not is almost certain and If cruise lines cannot work out a new protocol with CDC and Local US authorities they will not recover anytime soon.

If they haven’t ready done so they need to get on this and figure it out before they resume cruising in May or June...passengers need certainty that they can go on cruise without the worry they won’t be able to get back home once Cruise is over. Thoughts?

Seriously? This is not going to be worked out to cruising begins again. They have many more months to work this out. May or june? Lol..... no chance

Planes are being disinfected and more so now... if you are a regular flyer on any you would have gotten their emails but the information is also on their websites.

Here's the one from Southwest:

Southwest Airlines aircraft are maintained in accordance with an established program aimed at providing a clean and inviting cabin environment. In addition to tidying each aircraft between flights, we spend more than six hours cleaning each aircraft every night. As of March 4, 2020, we have enhanced our overnight cleaning procedures.

Typically, we use an EPA approved, hospital-grade disinfectant in the lavatories and an interior cleaner in the cabin. Now, we are expanding the use of the hospital-grade disinfectant throughout the aircraft, and it will be used in the cabin, on elements in the flight deck, and in the lavatory. These procedures meet or exceed recommendations from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).

All of our aircraft are equipped with HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, which filter out airborne particles as the air onboard is recirculated with outside air. These same HEPA filters are used in many hospitals to enhance air quality within this environment.

Our aircraft are also designed with an air circulation system that mixes in fresh air from outside the plane. The HEPA filter and the air circulation system work together to provide optimum air quality while onboard a Southwest plane which, in most cases, exceeds the quality of air that can be found outdoors, as well as a typical office building or similar public venue. On average, a complete exchange of cabin air and outside air is accomplished every three minutes.

Airlines are needed for many things. Cruise lines are not needed for anything. Big difference. Its just like allowing grocery stores to be open but not work places. Every person in your community will visit the grocery store once a week. But we have decided work/economy should not be allowed. Makes sense? Im a firefighter/paramedic working 60 hours a week. I visit that grocery store. How does anyone know if im just not asymptomatic? So my point is just use common sense. Eat healthy,thats your best defense. Your immunity is increased by nutrition.

• Like 1

When cruising starts again, the 5 minute testing for the virus should be available everywhere.  They should check everyone when boarding.  They were taking temps right before cruising ended so this is just one more step.

• Like 2

My other question is what are they doing to increase cleaning to prevent illness.

We have all seen cleaning staff,  not just on ships,  going through the motions of wiping the top surfaces of places like handrails.

Will they start wiping the underside too? 

Taking Washy-Washy seriously that little mist is not cutting it,

Wiping down the Entire table, especially in the Windjammer?

Increase the temperature of their dishwasher?  Running the eating utensils Twice?? 

Increase the chlorine % of the pool and hot tubs?

Sanitizing bathrooms/showers?  We've all found hair in our showers.

Environmental   Officer, paying attention?

I don't want to be stuck in my cabin for 14 days !

I point out these things as a stockholder as well as a avid cruiser.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scootersdad said:

My other question is what are they doing to increase cleaning to prevent illness.

We have all seen cleaning staff,  not just on ships,  going through the motions of wiping the top surfaces of places like handrails.

Will they start wiping the underside too? 

Taking Washy-Washy seriously that little mist is not cutting it,

Wiping down the Entire table, especially in the Windjammer?

Increase the temperature of their dishwasher?  Running the eating utensils Twice?? 

Increase the chlorine % of the pool and hot tubs?

Sanitizing bathrooms/showers?  We've all found hair in our showers.

Environmental   Officer, paying attention?

I don't want to be stuck in my cabin for 14 days !

I point out these things as a stockholder as well as a avid cruiser.

The temperature in the warewashing equipment is determined by USPH, and is such that it is sufficient to kill bacteria and viruses, much hotter than a household dishwasher.  The chlorine in the pools and hot tubs is also determined by the USPH, and is always higher than home pools or spas, and is high enough to cause frequent complaints about swimwear not only bleaching, but threads rotting out.

The Environmental Officer has virtually nothing to do with sanitation.

• Like 1

Good

Good points although I would highly dispute airlines ever “disinfect’ anything I’ve never gotten sick on a cruise...on a plane though, very often. 

Agreed - no time between turnarounds.   There is no distancing!

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

I’m an airline pilot. Flying today is very different than it was just a month ago (which feels like it was a year ago). Today, most people flying are doing so for essential reasons, which is the main reason why airlines are still flying. 

There are no crowds. Airports and airplanes are very empty. No lines anywhere. Most businesses are closed, and there’s plenty of space to spread out and maintain “social distancing”. On the airplane, with very low load factors, it’s also easy to maintain distance. Recently, I’ve seen one passenger every 2 or 3 rows. Sarcastically speaking, we say that there’s no better place to social distance and isolate now than at the airport. 

As far as airplane cleanliness goes, we joke that the airplanes haven’t been this clean since the came out of the factory. Frequently throughout the day, the entire airplane is fogged with Matrix-3. Then a cleaning crew comes onboard, with Matrix-3 in spray form and they wipe every surface, seat, tray table, lavatories, etc. I’ve watched them in action, and they are doing a thorough job. And most passengers now, when they come onboard, they wipe their seat with their own wipes as well. Many are wearing masks and gloves. Passengers are in the most part solo travelers. Nobody seems to be traveling for leisure. 

Thanks for the background Tapi.  I would fly today if the need was there.  I've never been too concerned with airplane cleanliness as much as airports themselves.  It always seemed like the likelihood of picking up a germ was greater in the airport.

I look forward to somewhat of an "all clear" for cruising, as I think the early cruises may be some of the safest to be on.  Cruise lines should be hyper-vigilant about cleaning, and crowds will be low.  I would have to know that target ports are open though to buy any particular cruise.

This too shall pass.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Makes me mad who is open and who isnt. It has nothing to do with virus spread. My cpa cant open and do my taxes, but the liquor stores are open and dry cleaners. Which has more traffic? My cpa can work from home.

Agree.  Completely unfair with no real rhyme or reason....some businesses are able to capitalize on this crisis while others may never open again.  Yesterday I stood in a social distance line outside JoAnn Fabric Store. I guess JoAnn Fabrics is essential because of the need for home made masks.  The store manager watched the line to admit people one at a time.  What makes her more qualified to ensure social distancing practices than my hair salon manager who is not allowed to open?  Just not fair or right.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree.  Completely unfair with no real rhyme or reason....some businesses are able to capitalize on this crisis while others may never open again.  Yesterday I stood in a social distance line outside JoAnn Fabric Store. I guess JoAnn Fabrics is essential because of the need for home made masks.  The store manager watched the line to admit people one at a time.  What makes her more qualified to ensure social distancing practices than my hair salon manager who is not allowed to open?  Just not fair or right.  

How would someone cut or color your hair from 6 feet away?  That's why they are closed.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I suppose a face mask is more beneficial than a hair cut

• Haha 1

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

They wouldn't obviously.  Just like I wasn't 6 feet away from the cashier at Joann.  But I would be willing to wear a mask...

The cashiers at my local stores are now behind plexiglass and if not, they do stay 6 feet away and the credit card machines have been moved to allow that distance.  

2 minutes ago, rockmom said:

The cashiers at my local stores are now behind plexiglass and if not, they do stay 6 feet away and the credit card machines have been moved to allow that distance.  

That's awesome.  Seriously.  Not sure of your location...we just haven't seen such consistent practices around here.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Same in Scotland

• Like 1