Where to visit in the UK?

Eglesbrech

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

If you fancy Highland Perthshire then the train line is right in the middle of Pitlochry which is a great little place to visit.

It has a pretty rep theatre which shows 5 different shows each week in summer, so something different each night. There are 2 distillery’s and a brewery within walking distance and another a bus ride away with a world class chocolatier en route.

There is a massive hydro electric power station with a salmon ladder and visitor centre.

As a base you can get a train into the city of Perth if you want some shopping or more choice of restaurants.

Alternatively just sit and enjoy the scenery.

Me thinks you have been reading my mind. Scotland is an amazingly beautiful country. We have been there a couple of times. Just stunning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Dagenham Market.. Now you are bringing up memories, with me being a Romford boy... 

Are you not aware they moved it though, it is now in River Road, Barking... 

I wonder if we ever worked on the same sites Brian.. 

I was also travelling the country, but in the nineties I was mainly doing Lloyd's banks and the eighties Currys/Dixons.. 

I did a couple of travelodge refurbs, but that was later... 

Andy 

We live in Hornchurch,but haven't been to the market in years.It was Dagenham dock last time I went.The only flooring guys I met were the vinyl layers for the bathrooms.Was that your line of flooring?Cheers,Brian.

7 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We live in Hornchurch,but haven't been to the market in years.It was Dagenham dock last time I went.The only flooring guys I met were the vinyl layers for the bathrooms.Was that your line of flooring?Cheers,Brian.

Apparently it is still thriving, there was a series on the telly about it not that long ago.

We did the vinyls, but mainly had large teams doing the carpets. 

Andy 

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Apparently it is still thriving, there was a series on the telly about it not that long ago.

We did the vinyls, but mainly had large teams doing the carpets. 

Andy 

LOL,I don't know how they survived with that lethal glue.We tried to be long gone before the carpets,water and carpet not a good combo.

• Like 1

I  have been lucky as my dad was a lorry driver and so I have covered a lot of the UK through my school holidays 

going with him to various  places over the years .

Also my Grandparents lived up in Lanarkshire and my Granddads job also involved a lot of travel around 

Scotland so again I did a fair bit of travelling about with him as well.

To this day though I can still find plenty of places I would like to visit in the UK.

Where we live I am blessed with easy travel to places ,20 mins and I'm in Robin Hoods countryside or go the other

direction and I'm  in the Peak District and we can do the east coast in under an hour.

Getting back to Scotland , people travelling up there get to Gretna and crack on northwards, not that there is any thing

up with that but one day do yourself a favour and turn left .

Ayrshire has some lovely areas and coastline to travel.

One time whilst up there in Ayrshire I headed for a road my Granddad took me to as a child . The Electric Brae one

Of Scotland's  natural Wonders.  You Should have seen the look on Mrs Kalos's face when going down a steep hill

I put the car in "Neutral" and the car began to roll back up the hill again . One for some of your bucket lists I  would say .:classic_smile: 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kalos said:

Getting back to Scotland , people travelling up there get to Gretna and crack on northwards, not that there is any thing

up with that but one day do yourself a favour and turn left .

Ayrshire has some lovely areas and coastline to travel.

One time whilst up there in Ayrshire I headed for a road my Granddad took me to as a child . The Electric Brae one

Of Scotland's  natural Wonders.  You Should have seen the look on Mrs Kalos's face when going down a steep hill

I put the car in "Neutral" and the car began to roll back up the hill again . One for some of your bucket lists I  would say .:classic_smile: 

Agree entirely, Ayrshire has a lot to offer with amazing sea views, historic buildings, Burns country and yes the electric brae which is indeed a must see. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Agree entirely, Ayrshire has a lot to offer with amazing sea views, historic buildings, Burns country and yes the electric brae which is indeed a must see. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

All of it... 

It is just a stunning county. 

Polperro, Boscastle, Tintagel are all very pretty. 

Penzance, St Ives, beautiful plus lots of little fishing villages. 

I personally would only really avoid Newquay, still very pretty coastline but a bit lively for me. 

Stick to the coast and tour, that's what we are planning. 

And, of course, you will get a proper pastie... 

Andy 

I agree with Andy.The Lizard and Lands End are lovely too with some good walks.Don t forget to visit the open air Minnack theatre set on an edge of a cliff!There is a lovely walk to a local beach nearby as well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I know Suffolk well, beautiful place, right from the Essex border up to Southwold and Walberswick. 

Also a shout for the Essex towns just on the border, Constable country, Dedham and Flatford Mill etc, beautiful. 

Andy 

Saffron Walden in Essex and Finchingfield and Thaxted are lovely and not far from Cambridge

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I agree with Andy.The Lizard and Lands End are lovely too with some good walks.Don t forget to visit the open air Minnack theatre set on an edge of a cliff!There is a lovely walk to a local beach nearby as well.

Newquay is ok as long as you don't actually go there. Last year we had a few days at Tolcarne beach hotel. It was a great hotel about half a mile from Newquay. That's near enough. In my youth we had some great breaks in Newquay. It used to take ages to get there from London, but that was in a Ford Anglia.😁

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Newquay is ok as long as you don't actually go there. Last year we had a few days at Tolcarne beach hotel. It was a great hotel about half a mile from Newquay. That's near enough. In my youth we had some great breaks in Newquay. It used to take ages to get there from London, but that was in a Ford Anglia.😁

Newquay is beautiful, I just can't keep up these days.. 

Andy 

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We caught the train to Newquay and stayed in a flat close to the rail station.Went into the centre once but caught the bus all along the coastline the rest of the week and visited some beautiful places.The view from the upper deck is great(unless it rains!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

The Lizard and Lands End are lovely too with some good walks.Don t forget to visit the open air Minnack theatre set on an edge of a cliff!There is a lovely walk to a local beach nearby as well.

Lizard is where I proposed to Mrs Kalos and she said yes . Makes you wonder what they put in the drinks down there .We have been down to Lizard many times since .

Another of our favourites down there is Mevagissey  set in a steep cliff gully,a very pretty village.

Having said that there is no end of pretty places to visit in Cornwall .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

If you fancy Highland Perthshire then the train line is right in the middle of Pitlochry which is a great little place to visit.

It has a pretty rep theatre which shows 5 different shows each week in summer, so something different each night. There are 2 distillery’s and a brewery within walking distance and another a bus ride away with a world class chocolatier en route.

There is a massive hydro electric power station with a salmon ladder and visitor centre.

As a base you can get a train into the city of Perth if you want some shopping or more choice of restaurants.

Alternatively just sit and enjoy the scenery.

Would you believe I spent my honeymoon in Pitlochry! We went up by train and hired a car to travel round. Saw a Noel Coward play in the theatre and went to the salmon ladder.

On my wish list for a couple of years now is Edinburgh. I’d like to see the Royal yacht. We live in the South East so quite a journey, I could do it by train easily. 
I loved Northumbria when we went especially Bamburgh castle and Alwnwick Castle gardens. Would love to go there and the Lake District again but hubby doesn’t like driving long distances and as I don’t drive I don’t think it’s fair to ask him.

Hence why cruising ticks his boxes combined with a two hour journey to Southampton!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Blimey that brings back memories! One of my first holidays with OH was a hotel just outside Newquay. The drive was horrendous! About 8 hours it was for us that day! 
We went to Devon last October for 4 nights and visited some lovely National Trust properties including the former home of Agatha Christie.

We enjoyed our time there but the journey home was horrendous as an accident had shut the M5 which made every road in the area stuffed!

18 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

Yes and I think it's all too easy to take it all for granted. If you (re)read Bill Bryson's books about the UK he points out what is under our nose and how lucky we are...

In answer to the question, how about Liverpool? Some world class museums (Tate Liverpool, Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, and the Walker Art Gallery), architecture (Three Graces, Georgian Quarter, two Cathedrals, and the Philharmonic pub, now Grade 1 listed), history, sport, eating out and entertainment. The Mersey Tunnel tour is unmissable.

Get out of the city and take day trips to Formby for its red squirrels, Port Sunlight and Chester, or get some fresh air and walk the Wirral Way.

I grew up not far from there and met my parents when they took a UK cruise that included Liverpool. It was interesting reading the Cunard guide to my home town, and my parents said that all the passengers were raving (if a Cunard passenger can "rave") at what a fantastic day they'd had - for many it was the highlight of the cruise...

Love Liverpool! Been several times for football but as it’s so hard to get tickets nowadays we’ve been a few times just for a break. Sometimes combining it with football and sometimes just to see the sites. The National Trust do a fantastic personal tour of Lennon and McCartney’s childhood homes that you have to book in advance. 

The Anglican cathedral was impressive and unlike some others actually free to get in!
Everytime we come back we think next time we’ll see such and such!

Have often thought about going to Southport so we get the coastal side then travel into the city by train!

49 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Blimey that brings back memories! One of my first holidays with OH was a hotel just outside Newquay. The drive was horrendous! About 8 hours it was for us that day! 
We went to Devon last October for 4 nights and visited some lovely National Trust properties including the former home of Agatha Christie.

We enjoyed our time there but the journey home was horrendous as an accident had shut the M5 which made every road in the area stuffed!

We combined our week in Newquay with a few days in Devon and also visited Agatha Christies former house.The areas around Kingswear and Dartmouth are stunning.As we were travelling by train we stayed in Torquay but spent most of the time exploring surrounding areas by local ferry and bus

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We combined our week in Newquay with a few days in Devon and also visited Agatha Christies former house.The areas around Kingswear and Dartmouth are stunning.As we were travelling by train we stayed in Torquay but spent most of the time exploring surrounding areas by local ferry and bus

South Devon has some beautiful places, Torbay etc, as does North Devon. 

It's gonna be a long tour trying to see all these wonderful places... 

Andy 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Love Liverpool! Been several times for football but as it’s so hard to get tickets nowadays we’ve been a few times just for a break. Sometimes combining it with football and sometimes just to see the sites. The National Trust do a fantastic personal tour of Lennon and McCartney’s childhood homes that you have to book in advance. 

The Anglican cathedral was impressive and unlike some others actually free to get in!
Everytime we come back we think next time we’ll see such and such!

Have often thought about going to Southport so we get the coastal side then travel into the city by train!

Southport has gone downhill since I left- ha ha!I wouldn t recommend staying there.Probably best to stay in Liverpool and visit Southport for the day(Perhaps include the red squirrels at Formby (Freshfield station) and Anthony Gormleys Iron Men at Crosby? All on the same train line and spend time in Liverpool visiting Chester and the Wirral

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

On our last trip down, the M5 was blocked just before Exeter. When we got to the front of the queue it was caused by a lorry that had dumped a load of rotting chicken carcasses on the motorway. It did pong a bit. Back in my diving days a trip from London to Falmouth took 13 hours. Happy days. Last time at Watergate bay I was going to do a refresher surfing course. DW called me a sad old git. She knows me well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1