Where to visit in the UK?

Eglesbrech

Of GB the only part I have never ever really been to is Lake District.  Kendal and Hawkshead is about it.   Lived in London so did lots of south east.  Lived in Gloucester so have seen a lot in that area, have in laws in Wales and have seen most of it over the years.

Cornwall is a long way to go to be disappointed.  Never again.

As long as Scotland exists that will be our go to destination.   Once we can get out again I'm thinking of doing three weeks this summer in three different areas, not decided which yet, but it will include a ferry to one of the islands.

• Like 1

Can I put in a vote for beautiful Worcestershire. 

Stunning countryside, the Malvern Hills, the River Severn, more swans than you could ever imagine, New Road Cricket Ground, beautiful cathedral with the tomb of King John (minus his heart),  and for my husband, its close proximity to Herefordshire.

Alas no more porcelain, but, most importantly....... the sauce.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruiserjules said:

Can I put in a vote for beautiful Worcestershire. 

Stunning countryside, the Malvern Hills, the River Severn, more swans than you could ever imagine, New Road Cricket Ground, beautiful cathedral with the tomb of King John (minus his heart),  and for my husband, its close proximity to Herefordshire.

Alas no more porcelain, but, most importantly....... the sauce.  

Worcestershire is a place I want to explore more, then up into Shropshire, Bridgnorth is pretty with a lot of history. 

Andy 

10 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

I envy your proximity to Northumberland happy v.  We spent nearly twenty years visiting it annually - fantastic B&B (best ever!) and on school trips.  Lindisfarne, Bamburgh Castle and beach, Alnmouth, Alnwick Castle, the Farne Islands, Dunstanburgh, Sugar Sands...... and the crab sandwiches at the pub in Craster...........I could go on.  Just a wonderful escape from the hustle bustle and such fabulous countryside .  And so many happy memories. 

Like you, we now feel it's a long haul since we moved 'down South' (not quite as far as for you to get to Cornwall though) but it's a long held wish to go back to visit.  Now is perhaps the time (well, when it's all clear to do so!) 

I think our wish lists may have undergone a seismic shift of late.  Just being able to go out and enjoy our beautiful country and all its attractions has become something to hold on to.  Hang onto those dreams everyone!  

Every one of those and more are our day out/picnic spots. I might forgo the driving and stay at home.

Hope you are both well and staying safe Kruz.

Andy

We visit Bridgnorth quite often, I never tire of the cliff railway connecting High and Low Town, and of course the Severn Valley Railway.  Ludlow with its Food Centre, market square and castle is always worth a visit.

Edited by Cruiserjules
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, the english lady said:

Don't totally discount the train. If there are 2 of you get a 2 together railcard (so you have to travel together to use it) and look at purchasing tickets 12 weeks in advance. We do this and travel 1st class a lot of the time now as you have space in there, room for your luggage, and nobody else sitting in your seat that you had reserved. When travel is permitted again i am going to doing lots of planning of train journies. Some can work out more rather expensive, but much prefer to flying anywhere now.

It's more the hassle with the trains. I like things to be simple and having to change with luggage just doesn't do it for me.

5 minutes ago, happy v said:

Every one of those and more are our day out/picnic spots. I might forgo the driving and stay at home.

Hope you are both well and staying safe Kruz.

So lucky to have those lovely places on your doorstep, happy v.  Yes thanks, we're both well and coping with the situation.  We have an early walk to look at the sea but otherwise occupying ourselves at home.  Might get out our pics of Northumberland tomorrow - I'm getting quite nostalgic!  

Hope you and yours are all well too.  😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, happy v said:

It's more the hassle with the trains. I like things to be simple and having to change with luggage just doesn't do it for me.

I agree that it can be a hassle with luggage to change trains.Thats why we tend to choose places that we want to visit with a direct route(we always avoid London)even though the town we stay in might not be the area we spend most time in.e.g We stayed in Newquay so that we could explore North Cornwall and Penzance to explore S Cornwall but spent very little time in the actual centres of these towns.I hate flying but have a cousin who flys to Newquay from Manchester every year and hires a car.I also hate motorway driving hence the train.

4 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

So lucky to have those lovely places on your doorstep, happy v.  Yes thanks, we're both well and coping with the situation.  We have an early walk to look at the sea but otherwise occupying ourselves at home.  Might get out our pics of Northumberland tomorrow - I'm getting quite nostalgic!  

Hope you and yours are all well too.  😊

Post some pics here if you can, would love to see them. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Quite agree. That journey from Rome airport to Civitaveccia is a bit of a pain by train. The station at Civitaveccia is not plain sailing with 2 heavy suitcases. I had to give my DW a hand with the second one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy v said:

I tend to arrange it so we dont change at a major station. Sometimes just a case of walking one side of the platform to another...or arrange for help in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Post some pics here if you can, would love to see them. 

Andy 

Now you are asking a lot of me!  It would be pre digital times 😏!    I think you' do better with a Google search than rely on me, Andy!  😁

• Like 1

Try as you may to persuade me that a holiday in the UK can be a good alternative to cruising, you are all failing.

Cruising is the only way we can go abroad without any hassle, unpack in Southampton and gently sail south to the sunshine and hot weather.  Lots of ports to visit, even if we have been before, that we can leisurely wander around, while knowing we have a luxury floating hotel to head back to whenever we want, with all the entertainment venues and bars that we could desire.

Sorry but your not selling me on a cold and wet week in the UK, however beautiful the scenery might be, when the mist lifts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Try as you may to persuade me that a holiday in the UK can be a good alternative to cruising, you are all failing.

Cruising is the only way we can go abroad without any hassle, unpack in Southampton and gently sail south to the sunshine and hot weather.  Lots of ports to visit, even if we have been before, that we can leisurely wander around, while knowing we have a luxury floating hotel to head back to whenever we want, with all the entertainment venues and bars that we could desire.

Sorry but your not selling me on a cold and wet week in the UK, however beautiful the scenery might be, when the mist lifts. 

We cruised around the UK last June from Southampton and visited some lovely ports including three in Ireland and two in Scotland.We had brilliant weather as well!Best of both worlds 🙂

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree (imagine that!).

Mrs W and I were strolling along the Trent today, reminiscing about the time we owned a narrow boat.  When we got home I thought I'd look about hiring a boat for a week, end of September,  when, hopefully things will be slightly normal. Smallest boat we could get, 7 days: price £1500 ! Seriously.

We currently have booked two weeks in a villa in Spain in the middle of September ,  private pool, flights and hire car , for £2000.   Personally I don't  think we'll be going to Spain this year.  However  I do think that when we all come to price up our future UK holidays,  we will  realise how expensive they are.

And, I suspect,  UK holidays will get more expensive, as more people shun foreign holidays. 

Just to be clear,  I have no issue with the pricing.  The market determines the prices. But I think that a 7 night holiday in a decent hotel in the Cotswolds will make your wallet cringe!

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree John, I think many cruisers have been cruising for many years and have been to the same ports again and again. It’s all relatively new to me compared to some here.

While I think there’s some beautiful places in the Uk I’ve come home recently thinking the holiday wasn’t as good as a cruise! Plus I’ve been doing some pricing up for October in the Uk in case my cruise is cancelled- and the prices are dearer than cruises!! Often just B&B too. 
Add to that my husband hates long distance driving and cruises are still our favourite holidays.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, moonstone01 said:

How about North Wales...gods country.  The grass is greener and the skies are bluer(sometimes).  Stunning scenery though.  Places worth a look at are LLangollen, LLandudno, Conwy and Port Meirion.

We visited Plas Mawr in Conwy and found it absolutely fascinating. We also enjoyed a lovely traditional Welsh afternoon tea in a nice little tea shop a few doors down.

The  day we spent in Llandudno there was a fair on the pier and an Alice in Wonderland trail to follow. I was however less than impressed by the “Great Orme”, you really call that a mountain😀.

Spent a very happy week in that area enjoying the attractions, lovely scenery, local speciality foods, friendly locals and yes the sky was blue and the sun out.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:29 PM, funinhounslow said:

Yes and I think it's all too easy to take it all for granted. If you (re)read Bill Bryson's books about the UK he points out what is under our nose and how lucky we are...

In answer to the question, how about Liverpool? Some world class museums (Tate Liverpool, Maritime Museum, Museum of Liverpool, and the Walker Art Gallery), architecture (Three Graces, Georgian Quarter, two Cathedrals, and the Philharmonic pub, now Grade 1 listed), history, sport, eating out and entertainment. The Mersey Tunnel tour is unmissable.

Get out of the city and take day trips to Formby for its red squirrels, Port Sunlight and Chester, or get some fresh air and walk the Wirral Way.

I grew up not far from there and met my parents when they took a UK cruise that included Liverpool. It was interesting reading the Cunard guide to my home town, and my parents said that all the passengers were raving (if a Cunard passenger can "rave") at what a fantastic day they'd had - for many it was the highlight of the cruise...

We came into Liverpool on the QE2 and it was definitely one of the highlights of the round the U.K. trip. It was the May bank holiday so they used the Mersey Ferrys as tenders and we were at anchor between Liverpool and I think it was New Brighton on the other side. Great day with lots to see and do and yes the folks onboard did rave about the hidden gem of the cruise.

• Like 3

Exmoor, (West Somerset & North Devon) is absolutely beautiful, with some gorgeous villages and stunning moorland scenery.

Dunster, with its Yarn Market & Castle, on to Minehead & North Hill. Continue along the A39 to Porlock, with its famous hill (drive carefully), across the north coast to Countisbury Hill, down to beautiful Lynmouth (famous for the flood disaster of 1952), and up another 25% - 33% gradient hill to Lynton, (or just take the cliff railway up). Also make sure you don't miss the incredibly scenic 'Valley of the Rocks', just a couple miles up the road.

Inland to Exmoor villages like Winsford, Exford and Dulverton, along with a visit to the nearby ancient clapper bridge 'Tarr Stepps' across the River Barle, should round off what should be an excellent trip !

If you've more time, then yes, continue to Cornwall and Captain Poldark country.

Edited by IDB37
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

We came into Liverpool on the QE2 and it was definitely one of the highlights of the round the U.K. trip. It was the May bank holiday so they used the Mersey Ferrys as tenders and we were at anchor between Liverpool and I think it was New Brighton on the other side. Great day with lots to see and do and yes the folks onboard did rave about the hidden gem of the cruise.

I have always fancied cruising into Liverpool. As I mentioned in my post in this thread, it’s a fabulous city and stunning waterfront. I hadn’t appreciated that some ships operate tenders there. That would be a major problem for us, as my wife is a wheelchair user and has to stay on board in tender ports, so if we pick a cruise that calls there we shall need to make sure that it berths. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Oh come on John... 

We would all rather be cruising and there is no comparison.. 

The point is, 'what if'... 

Hopefully we will all be back cruising soon, but 'what if'... 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I agree (imagine that!).

Mrs W and I were strolling along the Trent today, reminiscing about the time we owned a narrow boat.  When we got home I thought I'd look about hiring a boat for a week, end of September,  when, hopefully things will be slightly normal. Smallest boat we could get, 7 days: price £1500 ! Seriously.

We currently have booked two weeks in a villa in Spain in the middle of September ,  private pool, flights and hire car , for £2000.   Personally I don't  think we'll be going to Spain this year.  However  I do think that when we all come to price up our future UK holidays,  we will  realise how expensive they are.

And, I suspect,  UK holidays will get more expensive, as more people shun foreign holidays. 

Just to be clear,  I have no issue with the pricing.  The market determines the prices. But I think that a 7 night holiday in a decent hotel in the Cotswolds will make your wallet cringe!

This goes back to many previous discussions about value for money.. 

It's one of the reasons a lot of us cruise. 

From as little as £50pppn we get fed, entertained, taken to interesting places and meet interesting people... 

A caravan holiday in the UK could cost you more... 

Andy 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

This goes back to many previous discussions about value for money.. 

It's one of the reasons a lot of us cruise. 

From as little as £50pppn we get fed, entertained, taken to interesting places and meet interesting people... 

A caravan holiday in the UK could cost you more... 

Andy 

I’ve started watching ‘four in a bed’ recently where B&B owners try each other's B&Bs and score them. I was shocked to see some of them were £170 a night!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh come on John... 

We would all rather be cruising and there is no comparison.. 

The point is, 'what if'... 

Hopefully we will all be back cruising soon, but 'what if'... 

Andy 

Andy, just the very unlikely thought that might happen is making me feel suicidal, I dread to think how I might feel if due to age, infirmities and lack of insurance it came true.😒

• Like 1