Where to visit in the UK?

Eglesbrech

27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

All of it... 

It is just a stunning county. 

Polperro, Boscastle, Tintagel are all very pretty. 

Penzance, St Ives, beautiful plus lots of little fishing villages. 

I personally would only really avoid Newquay, still very pretty coastline but a bit lively for me. 

Stick to the coast and tour, that's what we are planning. 

And, of course, you will get a proper pastie... 

Andy 

Couldn’t agree more Andy. North Cornwall is a favourite of ours. However many of the roads are very narrow and it gets very busy in July and August so best to visit in June or September when things are quieter, but the weather and scenery are still stunning.  

• Like 1

Whilst it is lovely to visit places around the world, there is nowhere that I would prefer to live than the UK. With cruising being off our radar for the next couple of years, we certainly intend to make the most of our own country. I don’t think that there’s a county or city that I haven’t been to and they all have plus points, but my favourites are;

Isle of Wight - Ryde and Sandown are pretty tacky, but the rest of the island is a gem. Lots of nice walks, fabulous country / sea view pubs and restaurants. Above all, it’s calmer and more tranquil than the mainland.

Scotland - Nothing beats a touring holiday around Scotland. Once you are clear of the Glasgow / Edinburgh belt the traffic is so light it’s a joy and the scenery is just stunning. The West Coast around Oban / Fort William / Kyle of Lochalsh is the scenic highlight but there are too many other highlights to list. One place often overlooked is Glasgow, but the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Riverside Transport Museum are first class. 

South Devon - Everyone raves about Cornwall, and it is lovely, but it’s too congested for us in the summer, especially as all the nice coves etc are down narrow dead end lanes that get gridlocked. We prefer South Devon. Not quite as rugged but still beautiful and better facilities (also not quite as far).

Northumberland / Cumbrian Coast - As with Cornwall, everyone raves about the Lake District (which is beautiful but very touristy) but on the doorstep is the beautiful Cumbrian coast and the scenic grandeur of Northumberland. England is very ‘narrow’ in that part of the country, so you can stay in one of them and visit both, plus the Lake District.

Snowdonia National Park including the Great Little Trains of Wales. 

York - a beautiful historic city with plenty to keep you occupied for many days. The North Yorkshire Moors and coastline are easily accessible from here. 

Liverpool - Anyone who still associates Liverpool with its reputation of 40 years ago should think again. Some of the best architecture outside of London and lots of contrasting areas to visit, highlight being the Mersey waterfront / Albert Dock area. 

London - Obviously a ‘no go’ area at present, but a World Class city with dozens of things of interest for anyone of any age. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Its my dream to travel to UK. I want to live in the country, feel its vibes, its people, its culture. I want to take a car and drive all the way to Edingborugh (hope I spelled it right). United Kingdom is a cradle of western civilization. Last time I was visitng Germany I had a wish to go to London but unfortunatly my wife wanted beaches and sun so we went to Italy. It was a nice trip also but England must be a totally different experience

I would say you are welcome any time Roger,  but not at the moment, obviously.. 

Look forward to seeing you when this is all over.. 

Andy 

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm another person keeping quiet about Suffolk! 

I know Suffolk well, beautiful place, right from the Essex border up to Southwold and Walberswick. 

Also a shout for the Essex towns just on the border, Constable country, Dedham and Flatford Mill etc, beautiful. 

Andy 

• Like 1

I used to work away in the late 90s,installing plumbing in new build travel lodges.I've worked literally from Devon to Dundee.IMO the Lake District stands out and the Yorkshire moors and dales a close second.Everyone is bigging up the area where they were raised.As a Nam vet,I have to recommend  an area on the banks of the Thames in the shadow of the Ford factory,IMO should be a World Heritage site,Dagenham Sunday Market.

The Peal District is one of my favourites, Buxton, Castleton, Blue John mines 

I have ever been to the Forest of Boland, and although I was brought up near Manchester it's a totally different city now so I'd live to do mini break there

Symonds Yat for the river and the view from the top

Finally, a plug for my shop Bay Tree Gifts in Wickham, a few miles East of Southampton, just because we would love to see  you all when you next come to Southampton for a cruise.....

Stay safe

Cathy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

I used to work away in the late 90s,installing plumbing in new build travel lodges.I've worked literally from Devon to Dundee.IMO the Lake District stands out and the Yorkshire moors and dales a close second.Everyone is bigging up the area where they were raised.As a Nam vet,I have to recommend  an area on the banks of the Thames in the shadow of the Ford factory,IMO should be a World Heritage site,Dagenham Sunday Market.

Dagenham Market.. Now you are bringing up memories, with me being a Romford boy... 

Are you not aware they moved it though, it is now in River Road, Barking... 

I wonder if we ever worked on the same sites Brian.. 

I was also travelling the country, but in the nineties I was mainly doing Lloyd's banks and the eighties Currys/Dixons.. 

I did a couple of travelodge refurbs, but that was later... 

Andy 

59 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Its my dream to travel to UK. I want to live in the country, feel its vibes, its people, its culture. I want to take a car and drive all the way to Edingborugh (hope I spelled it right). United Kingdom is a cradle of western civilization. Last time I was visitng Germany I had a wish to go to London but unfortunatly my wife wanted beaches and sun so we went to Italy. It was a nice trip also but England must be a totally different experience

I hope this thread is giving you some good ideas of places to visit.  London is a great city but there is so much more to the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

The Peal District is one of my favourites, Buxton, Castleton, Blue John mines 

I have ever been to the Forest of Boland, and although I was brought up near Manchester it's a totally different city now so I'd live to do mini break there

Symonds Yat for the river and the view from the top

Finally, a plug for my shop Bay Tree Gifts in Wickham, a few miles East of Southampton, just because we would love to see  you all when you next come to Southampton for a cruise.....

Stay safe

Cathy

Wickham and the surrounding area is beautiful, especially Cathy's shop.. 

I will be popping in when all this is over. 

Andy 

Another vote for the Peak  District,  absolutely beautiful and on our doorstep.You can walk all day and hardly come across another person.

Another favourite of ours is Norfolk. Quite the opposite to the Peak District as it's so flat but we love that it still remains as it did years ago, very quaint. Hired a cottage for the whole family last year and went on the Broads, fabulous. 

Long time favourite though for us is Cornwall. Nowhere more beautiful than the Lizard peninsular, sitting at the Polpeor cafe eating fresh crab sandwiches watching the seals in the sea below..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I know Suffolk well, beautiful place, right from the Essex border up to Southwold and Walberswick. 

Also a shout for the Essex towns just on the border, Constable country, Dedham and Flatford Mill etc, beautiful. 

Andy 

A wonderful part of the UK, but fortunately overlooked. Beats the Cotswolds everyday.

• Like 1

The East Neuk of Fife is great for seafood, amazing views and golf courses.

There is everything from quaint little fishing villages up to the market (and golf) town of St Andrews which has museums, an abbey, breweries, a gin distillery and a great choice of restaurants and shops.

St Andrews has a wide range of accommodation, everything from caravans and b&bs up to several 5 star hotels. 

On the harbour at Crail the creels come in and the shellfish is cooked right on the harbour in a small wooden hut, you don’t get crab any fresher.

Anstruther along the coast has a world renowned fish and ship shop and a tiny but excellent fine dining restaurant. 

There are beautiful coastal walks and some truly amazing gardens, particularly if you come in the early spring. This is a famous collection of snowdrops.

Its also a quick hop over the Tay bridge if you want city shops in Dundee or to visit the V&A.

You can happily spent a week and find lots to do and as it is East coast the weather is actually quite nice.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, happy v said:

I wouldn't go on the train. We have thought about flying and hiring a car.

Hopefully I'll be on the round Britain cruise and like everyone else put this back on the to do list.😉

I envy your proximity to Northumberland happy v.  We spent nearly twenty years visiting it annually - fantastic B&B (best ever!) and on school trips.  Lindisfarne, Bamburgh Castle and beach, Alnmouth, Alnwick Castle, the Farne Islands, Dunstanburgh, Sugar Sands...... and the crab sandwiches at the pub in Craster...........I could go on.  Just a wonderful escape from the hustle bustle and such fabulous countryside .  And so many happy memories. 

Like you, we now feel it's a long haul since we moved 'down South' (not quite as far as for you to get to Cornwall though) but it's a long held wish to go back to visit.  Now is perhaps the time (well, when it's all clear to do so!) 

I think our wish lists may have undergone a seismic shift of late.  Just being able to go out and enjoy our beautiful country and all its attractions has become something to hold on to.  Hang onto those dreams everyone!  

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The East Neuk of Fife is great for seafood, amazing views and golf courses.

There is everything from quaint little fishing villages up to the market (and golf) town of St Andrews which has museums, an abbey, breweries, a gin distillery and a great choice of restaurants and shops.

St Andrews has a wide range of accommodation, everything from caravans and b&bs up to several 5 star hotels. 

On the harbour at Crail the creels come in and the shellfish is cooked right on the harbour in a small wooden hut, you don’t get crab any fresher.

Anstruther along the coast has a world renowned fish and ship shop and a tiny but excellent fine dining restaurant. 

There are beautiful coastal walks and some truly amazing gardens, particularly if you come in the early spring. This is a famous collection of snowdrops.

Its also a quick hop over the Tay bridge if you want city shops in Dundee or to visit the V&A.

You can happily spent a week and find lots to do and as it is East coast the weather is actually quite nice.

I would love to explore Scotland but it is such a trek for us. 

Perhaps we should fly up and hire a car. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

I would love to explore Scotland but it is such a trek for us. 

Perhaps we should fly up and hire a car. 

Andy 

Sounds like the way to go Andy.  We've considered that too. 

We had been considering doing just that but the demise of FlyBe from Southampton will probably mean a little less convenient airport for us (unless they introduce flights from Bournemouth 😀) - we really try hard to avoid Gatwick much preferring the smaller airports.  Would rather drive down to Exeter than the journey to Gatwick.   

On that note, I do hope the future of regional airports/flights takes an upward turn.  So sorry to see the impact on Southampton Airport of FlyBe folding.  We've used it a lot for European flights.  Fingers crossed some solution can be found although I suspect it will take a long time for many businesses to recover.  🤞  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Wickham and the surrounding area is beautiful, especially Cathy's shop.. 

I will be popping in when all this is over. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy I look forward to seeing you and Michelle

Cathy

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Ford Factory long gone, all houses now. 

Cathy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Sounds like the way to go Andy.  We've considered that too. 

We had been considering doing just that but the demise of FlyBe from Southampton will probably mean a little less convenient airport for us (unless they introduce flights from Bournemouth 😀) - we really try hard to avoid Gatwick much preferring the smaller airports.  Would rather drive down to Exeter than the journey to Gatwick.   

On that note, I do hope the future of regional airports/flights takes an upward turn.  So sorry to see the impact on Southampton Airport of FlyBe folding.  We've used it a lot for European flights.  Fingers crossed some solution can be found although I suspect it will take a long time for many businesses to recover.  🤞  

I think Logan air have taken over some of the routes from Southampton to Scotland, so it should still be an option. 

• Like 1

Come and see us at Warsash... 

Howard's way country, beautiful walks along the Hamble River up to Swanwick and beyond. 

Take the pink ferry across to Hamble for an amazing pub crawl in a beautiful harbour village. 

Admire the yachts in the harbour and watch the life and wildlife on the river... 

Watch the cruise ships sail down the Solent... 😊

Loads of history, very pretty. 

See you soon... 

Andy 

13 hours ago, happy v said:

I wouldn't go on the train. We have thought about flying and hiring a car.

Hopefully I'll be on the round Britain cruise and like everyone else put this back on the to do list.😉

Don't totally discount the train. If there are 2 of you get a 2 together railcard (so you have to travel together to use it) and look at purchasing tickets 12 weeks in advance. We do this and travel 1st class a lot of the time now as you have space in there, room for your luggage, and nobody else sitting in your seat that you had reserved. When travel is permitted again i am going to doing lots of planning of train journies. Some can work out more rather expensive, but much prefer to flying anywhere now.

• Like 3

When we drive down to Southampton we make the journey part of the holiday and stop off at interesting places for a day or two on the way. We have seen a number of really interesting places that you would not go to for a holiday but are still lovely to see.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Don't totally discount the train. If there are 2 of you get a 2 together railcard (so you have to travel together to use it) and look at purchasing tickets 12 weeks in advance. We do this and travel 1st class a lot of the time now as you have space in there, room for your luggage, and nobody else sitting in your seat that you had reserved. When travel is permitted again i am going to doing lots of planning of train journies. Some can work out more rather expensive, but much prefer to flying anywhere now.

If you fancy Highland Perthshire then the train line is right in the middle of Pitlochry which is a great little place to visit.

It has a pretty rep theatre which shows 5 different shows each week in summer, so something different each night. There are 2 distillery’s and a brewery within walking distance and another a bus ride away with a world class chocolatier en route.

There is a massive hydro electric power station with a salmon ladder and visitor centre.

As a base you can get a train into the city of Perth if you want some shopping or more choice of restaurants.

Alternatively just sit and enjoy the scenery.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, emam said:

Durham Cathedral, Luminere,  Beamish Museum, Tanfield Railway and Causey Arch, Penshaw Monument, Seaham sea front with Tommy statute and George Elmy Lifeboat (at the small Marina), Hartlepool Maritime Museum and Marina. 

I will leave the Sunderland ones for Graham.

I would like to to and see Royal Britannia and the National Arboretum

Roker, Seaburn and Whitburn sea front.

National Glass Centre.

Monkwearmouth station museum.

Penshaw Monument

Washington Wildlife Centre.

Stadium of Light football ground.

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Roker, Seaburn and Whitburn sea front.

National Glass Centre.

Monkwearmouth station museum.

Penshaw Monument

Washington Wildlife Centre.

Stadium of Light football ground.

I stayed in a nice hotel overlooking the sea at Roker, can't remember the name? Quite a classic hotel, beautiful building. 

Andy 

• Like 1