Now for something completely different

Apparently the F1 Gran Prix is in Melbourne this weekend. I will stay on my side of the Westgate Bridge and hope for winds to blow the noise away.

Driving home at lunch time, saw these aircraft out of the corner of my eye. About 8km distance, they were putting on a performance over the Albert Park course. RAAF Roulettes.

Roulettes4.thumb.jpg.1a98f2bb716e56e364955969275551c2.jpg

Roulettes3.thumb.jpg.582e22d185ac5cc35d99f8693a9c4cad.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Apparently the F1 Gran Prix is in Melbourne this weekend. I will stay on my side of the Westgate Bridge and hope for winds to blow the noise away.

Driving home at lunch time, saw these aircraft out of the corner of my eye. About 8km distance, they were putting on a performance over the Albert Park course. RAAF Roulettes.

Roulettes4.thumb.jpg.1a98f2bb716e56e364955969275551c2.jpg

Roulettes3.thumb.jpg.582e22d185ac5cc35d99f8693a9c4cad.jpg

Funny thing I would normally be glued to the TV for this weekend but alas....I'M GOING ON A CRUISE. No race for me 🤔 oh well, it's set to record so I'll watch when I get home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes, having golfed with Michael, and over 18 years frequented the restaurant probably monthly, I know them well. Yes, their steaks and oysters donegan were legendary.  They retired two weeks ago and new owner, with Italian theme. From reports supposed to be good. Will have to try them out.

Memories...Chef Shea with the tongs.

712576529_donegans2.thumb.jpg.3bf8f6518fce7a762e4bc0eb52d06ec2.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo...I can almost taste the dishes.  Hope the new owners took notes on Shea's chargrilling technique.  Do you remember when the boys had the restaurant closer to the shops, with Danny (from memory) on the piano.  Magic atmosphere.  How long have you been in Batehaven?

59 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Funny thing I would normally be glued to the TV for this weekend but alas....I'M GOING ON A CRUISE. No race for me 🤔 oh well, it's set to record so I'll watch when I get home.

Lucky you. You will have to give us an extended story about the cruise. We are all suffering from 'cruise-deprivation' and you are the only one who can help us at the moment.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Bon Voyage.  Haven't been able to say that for awhile!

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle are you going to do a VLOG from your ship for us cruise starved Aussies and Kiwis? 🤩

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Be safe Les. We had a bit of a blow and a bucket or 2 of rain the night before last. It was still windy yesterday but fairly calm now. We are hoping for calm seas on the Pacific next week. We board Viking Orion on Saturday in San Pedro.

Bon Voyage Lyle, will you do a few reports from the ship for us cruises starved Aussies and Kiwis?

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Thanks for posting the photo...I can almost taste the dishes.  Hope the new owners took notes on Shea's chargrilling technique.  Do you remember when the boys had the restaurant closer to the shops, with Danny (from memory) on the piano.  Magic atmosphere.  How long have you been in Batehaven?

They were at a motel 'Taliva' just south of present Donegans - @ Araluen Motel.  Yes We did go there. Moved from Sutherland Shire to Batehaven mid 2004.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

They were at a motel 'Taliva' just south of present Donegans - @ Araluen Motel.  Yes We did go there. Moved from Sutherland Shire to Batehaven mid 2004.

From my short stay two weeks ago I can say it's a wonderful part of the world. We spent a night at Tomakin in a unit at The Moorings, near the IGA. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

From my short stay two weeks ago I can say it's a wonderful part of the world. We spent a night at Tomakin in a unit at The Moorings, near the IGA. 

God's Country mate. Next to IGA is Dan's Restaurant, the ribs are great.

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yes, Taliva.  Batehaven has changed over the years, but in many respects it's still the same wonderful seaside haven.  It's been our other home for nearly fifty years, I'm shocked to say...since 1973.  Our children and grandchildren have enjoyed school holidays and family weekends with friends tagging along over decades.  We'll miss Michael and Shea though, but looking forward to trying the new venture in its place.  Looking at the radar today, I'm hoping our home isn't floating away, and also hoping you're not growing webbed feet, Les.  Maybe one day we can catch up and have a coffee at Crumb.

Linda

• Like 1

I will post some photos during the cruise. I don't do Blogs or Vlogs but will drop a few line from time to time. Who ever thought my little thread intended for our trip down under would end up being one of the places where I talk about a cruise a Pacific Coastal Cruise in North America.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will post some photos during the cruise. I don't do Blogs or Vlogs but will drop a few line from time to time. Who ever thought my little thread intended for our trip down under would end up being one of the places where I talk about a cruise a Pacific Coastal Cruise in North America.

You will absolutely love the Orion.  We sailed on her in 2019 for five weeks, from Vancouver to Hong Kong via Russian Far East and Japan.  Elegant, simple, Scandi decor, with comfortable spaces throughout just for sitting, reading, etc.  I loved that the reception desk provides fresh crosswords every day.  The cafe bar in the main atrium serves wonderful teas, coffees, and pastries.  No extra charges on Viking, even for house wines, etc.  The only problem was that much of the food was way over-salted, and we don't mind normal seasoning, but that was only our opinion, and maybe most people would be very happy with the cuisine.  Music and entertainment was just right, and lots of reading available through book-swapping stations.  We'll look forward very much to reading your blogs.  Will you post on this thread?  In the meantime, happy, happy sailing.

Linda

• Like 1

@Mareblu, I don't really do a "blog" per se, I will just throw some observations and pictures. I will post on this thread for the down under crowd. I will also probably do something on the Viking board. As it is We're on Vacation so it won't be huge until we get home.

Cheers Lyle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

@Mareblu, I don't really do a "blog" per se, I will just throw some observations and pictures. I will post on this thread for the down under crowd. I will also probably do something on the Viking board. As it is We're on Vacation so it won't be huge until we get home.

Cheers Lyle

Enjoy the adventure. I checked out Viking Orion on their website. All veranda/balcony cabins and suites.  The cabins and bathrooms look great.  I take it you are in the owners suite Lyle? 😁

Dining options look great, it will be interesting to hear your views on the tucker, you being a gourmand, lol.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Enjoy the adventure. I checked out Viking Orion on their website. All veranda/balcony cabins and suites.  The cabins and bathrooms look great.  I take it you are in the owners suite Lyle? 😁

Dining options look great, it will be interesting to hear your views on the tucker, you being a gourmand, lol.

We are in a "Deluxe Veranda" Les. We looked at the "Penthouse Verandas" but we didn't like the location of the ones available so saved about $1,000.00 total and went for location. We are starboard side on deck 5, near midships. In my view the posh suites are in crappy locations...High up and far forward or aft. Get any adverse sea state and your cabin is suddenly moving up and down faster than the lifts.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are in a "Deluxe Veranda" Les. We looked at the "Penthouse Verandas" but we didn't like the location of the ones available so saved about $1,000.00 total and went for location. We are starboard side on deck 5, near midships. In my view the posh suites are in crappy locations...High up and far forward or aft. Get any adverse sea state and your cabin is suddenly moving up and down faster than the lifts.

Enjoy your cruise Lyle. Look forward to hearing about it on your return. My son in law and grandsons are at the GP practice sessions today. They have front row seats. 

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Enjoy your cruise Lyle. Look forward to hearing about it on your return. My son in law and grandsons are at the GP practice sessions today. They have front row seats. 

Good on them Leigh. I was very close to going to the race in Spa several years ago when we were in Europe. We were quite literally in Belgium for race weekend. I looked into it and it was going to cost us 2000 Euros more to go to the race. Between the price of tickets, transportation and most expensive, accommodation. Unfortunately that wasn't in the budget. Some day maybe we'll get to a race. I know it's not for you but I envy those who live so close to a Formula 1 race that the only expense is the race ticket, food and swag at the track and a transit pass. I hope the lads enjoyed the day, lucky bums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's early to bed the clock rings at 0300 hrs tomorrow.

Cheers everyone I'll drop a line in a couple of days.

Bon Voyage and have a great cruise.  We enjoyed ours and glad we did it!!