Now for something completely different

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks @Mareblu that's too bad they have chosen to let this slide until after the down under season. I'm guessing the antifouling is at the end of it's life and a ship moving in the water takes on less fouling than one sitting at anchor. So with her sitting idle for 2 years there's probably a good amount of critters on that hull.

That's a good point.  The only problem I can foresee, and it's a major one, is that by the time QE returns to southern waters for her summer season here, she may not pass another hull biofoul inspection, and it's back to the future.  NZ requires hull inspection and cleaning to be undertaken within 30 days of entering its marine park environments.  I agree with that, btw.  The problem here is Cunard's, because it was well aware of the requirements some time ago, and has just continued as normal, but making "last minute" major changes to its itineraries.  It's not the only cruise line.  Viking, Silversea, Oceania and probably a few others have all been refused entry to NZ waters for this very same reason.  Our friends on HA sent the most magnificent images of their day and evening cruise-by in the Fiordland Sounds, so if HA can manage a clean hull before sailing, why not the others?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

What a delicious Valentines Day meal in a beautiful setting!  Love the crockery. 

Thank you, I've had that set since before Lynn & I met. As a matter of fact I served the first meal I ever cooked for her on that dinnerware. I bought a heart shaped cake that was very tasty, unfortunately I forgot to photograph it. I went shopping on the way home from work yesterday so Lynn had no idea what she was going to eat, I just told her I had a plan.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Not silver service trained Lyall? Knife should be placed with sharp edge towards the plate.😁

It is. That being said Lynn set that lovely table. The dried roses are from a bunch I gave her about 2 weeks ago just because I thought it would brighten her day.

That is a fairly casual setting. 

If it was "dinner" the table would be much more cluttered with Coronation silverware, Noritake China and Mikasa Chrystal. We haven't done one of those for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The little ramican has mashed potato mixed with cream cheese, balderson double smoked cheddar and bacon then baked.

Fries are for burgers 😉

Nice receipe Lyle, , but chips wiv everyfink, that is my motto, lol.

🍟

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

For Valentines day this year, we celebrated by ignoring the giving of cards, flowers and gifts and it was truly a lovely day.

For the first time ever, after nearly 50 years since we met, DH ordered my favourite Haighs' chocolates and had them sent to me. I was quite surprised as Valentine's Day is not something we have ever celebrated. But it was most appreciated.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

For Valentines day this year, we celebrated by ignoring the giving of cards, flowers and gifts and it was truly a lovely day.

I told him years ago to please ignore it.  Just don't forget The Birthday😆

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We did the same for the most part Mic. I did however make an effort with the supper and Lynn set the table with the nicer dishes.

We do try to disregard what I think of as "Hallmark" holidays. Those things blown out of all proportion by marketers. 

I give Lynn flowers from time to time just because it will brighten her day. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We did the same for the most part Mic. I did however make an effort with the supper and Lynn set the table with the nicer dishes.

We do try to disregard what I think of as "Hallmark" holidays. Those things blown out of all proportion by marketers. 

I give Lynn flowers from time to time just because it will brighten her day. 

My SWMBO also appreciates "No Reason" flowers.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I give Lynn flowers from time to time just because it will brighten her day

Well this becomes the moment when I step outside the group and everyone looks at me sideways and slowly moves away....my mother hated cut flowers, she always said that flowers belonged in a garden and in a garden only.  Her rationale was that it was wrong to fatally wound something and then watch it die just to gratify ourselves and brighten our home.  This is so ingrained in me that I even feel uncomfortable walking past a florist shop.  Funeral Homes and cemeteries don't worry me but flower sellers make my skin crawl.  

I make no judgement on others, it's just my own little peccadillo and idiosyncrasy.  

Edited by Bubbeh
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Hayfever means any flowers are kept outside of the house.

Beautiful as our city is, it's recognised as the Hay Fever Capitol of the world;  not so much for flowers, but for the grass seeds and the pollen that drifts in clouds of yellow dust every shedding season.  Mario suffers dreadfully from hay fever, but I'm very lucky to have dodged that gene.

27 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Well this becomes the moment when I step outside the group and everyone looks at me sideways and slowly moves away....my mother hated cut flowers, she always said that flowers belonged in a garden and in a garden only.  Her rationale was that it was wrong to fatally wound something and then watch it die just to gratify ourselves and brighten our home.  This is so ingrained in me that I even feel uncomfortable walking past a florist shop.  Funeral Homes and cemeteries don't worry me but flower sellers make my skin crawl.  

I make no judgement on others, it's just my own little peccadillo and idiosyncrasy.  

Loved as our mothers may be, some have a lot to answer for...

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Loved as our mothers may be, some have a lot to answer for...

My parents were Holocaust survivors and I think this goes at least some way to explaining their often very strange outlook on things.  

• Like 1