3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Means nothing...

To me and you agreed  ! 

I was just showing you that someone somewhere is booking them now.

My state of health and your Michelle's we are the people who are going nowhere near a ship 

until they find a vaccine or something .

The article just took me by surprise , I would never have expected  to see bookings rise so quickly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kalos said:

To me and you agreed  ! 

My state of health and your Michelle's we are the people who are going nowhere near a ship 

The article just took me by surprise , I would never have expected  to see bookings rise so quickly.

It is due to optimism that we will get back to some sort of normality quickly and hopefully we will. 

We have seen this reflected in lack of availability for next year, but that is only because, like us, loads have booked at launch but possibly won't go, plus the transfers from this year. 

We all live in hope.. 

The reason I say that cruising will be one of the last things to get back to normal is the scrutiny it will be under after the poor press and the difficulty to social distance etc. 

Andy 

• Like 1

So, there we have it. There is no issue at all. The whole cruise industry can rest easy. The recent wall to wall news coverage of cruise ship holidays from hell, cabin confinement, Cornovirus spreading like wildfire, over 70’s being advised against cruise travel etc etc  has all made not a jot of difference. Obviously that survey is far more credible than anything that the scaremongering, sensationalist Simon Calder can come up with. Why he constantly appears on all the TV channels as the most respected travel journalist in the UK I have no idea. The reason that people are struggling to get through to P&O on the phone is nothing to do with the amount of cancellations that they are processing, they are clearly overwhelmed with new bookings. Best to get any bookings in pretty quick, as clearly all cruises will be sold out and a great time to buy shares in cruise companies as the markets are clearly unaware of this great news and have massively underpriced the share prices. Keep it quiet, but those of us now in the know can make a fortune. 

Of course you don’t like it it does not fit your narrative. But nearly 2000 members of the group have now said they would cruise again and only 22 have said they would not.

But reading your further post you would have voted yes you would cruise again. (If conditions are right)

I think people are getting sick of the negativity and deciding that “life is too short and needs to be lived”

BTW you ddd read the report from the US that bookings for 2021 were up by 40%. It was in the Telegraph about 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I think you’re right re the demographics, but I would argue that any surveys or polls taken on sites that are used predominantly by regular cruisers (including this site) have far less credibility than any poll of the wider population. We are, by definition, ‘the converted’, as most of us are experienced cruisers. As we know from the way P&O is going, we are less important to their future aspirations than those who have never previously considered cruising as an option and I can’t help but feel that this target audience is now going to take an awful lot more convincing. 

Cheap prices and free drinks packages(all inclusive) are a big temptation for lots of people including the younger generation who might have less funds to spend and be tempted to cruise,drink,eat and sunbathe.

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We have to John. 

As Selborne says, I wouldn't want to be the one making the call, but it will get to a level where we need to get the economy moving and a decision on the risk/effect will be made, whether we like it or not.. 

Of course, it won't happen overnight but a gradual return with restrictions is not that far away, perhaps weeks... 

Cruising will be the last to get back to any type of normality though. 

Andy 

We need a strong economy to pay for the NHS,all the business help, furlough wages,pensions etc,etc so you are spot on that a return to work in the near future is inevitable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

To me and you agreed  ! 

Actually this is great news because if it keeps the cruiselines afloat we will all get our

Cash Refunds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Of course you don’t like it it does not fit your narrative. But nearly 2000 members of the group have now said they would cruise again and only 22 have said they would not.

But reading your further post you would have voted yes you would cruise again. (If conditions are right)

I think people are getting sick of the negativity and deciding that “life is too short and needs to be lived”

BTW you ddd read the report from the US that bookings for 2021 were up by 40%. It was in the Telegraph about 2 days ago.

The big stumbling block is the government advice re age and health issues and if it stays the same all our insurance policies will be void and we all risk financial ruin if we take ill and need helicopter evacuation or foreign hospital treatment etc.

• Like 1

Cheap prices and free drinks packages(all inclusive) are a big temptation for lots of people including the younger generation who might have less funds to spend and be tempted to cruise,drink,eat and sunbathe.

Only there are many posts about higher prices.

40 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If the right cruise is on sale for next year at the right price with a £50 refundable deposit, what is the downside. Lockdown may be over, insurance/age sorted, if not,cancel.

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The big stumbling block is the government advice re age and health issues and if it stays the same all our insurance policies will be void and we all risk financial ruin if we take ill and need helicopter evacuation or foreign hospital treatment etc.

Totally agree, I would love to resume cruising but will only do so when lockdown measures and insurance cover resumes.

If I was polled on cruising now it would be a no, if I was polled on cruising down the line when things are sorted it would be a yes so it depends on what you are being asked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, daiB said:

It’s nothing about ‘my narrative’ Dai, it’s just that it’s utter nonsense. The ‘narrative’ of that poll is at complete odds with the current state of the cruise industry, as reflected in the share prices. Of course, those of us who have enjoyed cruises over many years would love to do so again - myself included. But, as Andy, myself and many other ‘regulars’ are saying, we will only do so when it is safe - and that’s a long way off. Funny how the balance of views on here are far more reflective of the Independents poll than the one you refer to. 

It’s not about being negative, it’s about being realistic. I would dearly love for the cruise industry to be back to normal. Cruises were to be our main holidays for this year and we were really looking forward to them. Just as some of us are being accused of being negative, I could say that some others are in cloud cuckoo land / head in the sand, or whatever you want to call it, in thinking that cruises will be back to normal in a few months. Until there is a vaccine or the virus has been overcome, it would be a risk that many people just won’t be prepared to take. 

I’m also sick and fed up of this virus and the lockdown and am desperate for life to get back to normal, but ‘willing’ it sadly doesn’t make it happen. We are kidding ourselves if we think this will all be over in a few months. Am I surprised that a US company is reporting that bookings are up? Not in the least. They have a leader who tells them that it is all a fuss about nothing and life will be back to normal in weeks (it was going to be by Easter, but he’s conveniently forgotten about that now). We, on the other hand, have a leader who nearly died of it. 

Anyway, let’s park that and could you share with everyone where it says that you can let FCC expire unused and then get your money back (as you stated earlier), as many who went down that route will find that very reassuring? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

It is due to optimism that we will get back to some sort of normality quickly and hopefully we will. 

We have seen this reflected in lack of availability for next year, but that is only because, like us, loads have booked at launch but possibly won't go, plus the transfers from this year. 

We all live in hope.. 

The reason I say that cruising will be one of the last things to get back to normal is the scrutiny it will be under after the poor press and the difficulty to social distance etc. 

Andy 

Does anybody know how many cases of coronavirus have been reported on a P&O ship?

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Does anybody know how many cases of coronavirus have been reported on a P&O ship?

None, as far as I am aware but, of course, the issue is the prevalence of it that will be in the general population now, or in the future, were sailings to resume. When the last cruises of each respective P&O ship set sail there were very few incidents of it. Very different scenario now. As we know, it only needs one person, crew or passenger, to board with it and there will be an outbreak. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Anyway, let’s park that and could you share with everyone where it says that you can let FCC expire unused and then get your money back (as you stated earlier), as many who went down that route will find that very reassuring? 

I also read somewhere that you could cash the FCC in. I have been trying to find it. I have come across this, which seems to be what you are looking for. Though it's not what I was looking for. It could now be out of date as it's talking about 125% FCC. However the form is still there to fill in.

Apologies if it ends up posting twice. I clicked on the link to see if it worked and lost what I had typed.

If you are not sure whether you will use your enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit offer which has been automatically applied to your account, please remember you have until 30 November 2020 to request a refund.  By completing the form below, you will miss out on the offer of 125% Future Cruise Credit and will instead receive a 100% refund.

https://www.pocruises.com/request

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, emam said:

I also read somewhere that you could cash the FCC in. I have been trying to find it. I have come across this, which seems to be what you are looking for. Though it's not what I was looking for. It could now be out of date as it's talking about 125% FCC. However the form is still there to fill in.

Apologies if it ends up posting twice. I clicked on the link to see if it worked and lost what I had typed.

If you are not sure whether you will use your enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit offer which has been automatically applied to your account, please remember you have until 30 November 2020 to request a refund.  By completing the form below, you will miss out on the offer of 125% Future Cruise Credit and will instead receive a 100% refund.

I read that but don't think that was what dai meant.

I seem to remember a few posters saying 

I will just wait 2 years and get my money back which I had no reason to disbelieve them as we are going for a refund through government advice and P&O cancelling our cruise.

I checked RC,P&O and Princess FCC T&C since and they indicate the FCC would lapse if not used by a specific date.

Some people might have contacts that will say otherwise.

Edited by grapau27

My understanding is you can  be refunded 100% of what you’ve paid or if you opt to use FCC it increases to 125% but nowhere I can see does it state you’ll be refunded 125% maybe Dai is looking for the link🤔

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Those youngsters. All they want to do is cruise,drink,eat and sunbathe. What are they like 😁

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Those youngsters. All they want to do is cruise,drink,eat and sunbathe. What are they like 😁

Bar the cruising everything else was us 20-40 years ago.

Edited by grapau27

12 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

My understanding is you can  be refunded 100% of what you’ve paid or if you opt to use FCC it increases to 125% but nowhere I can see does it state you’ll be refunded 125% maybe Dai is looking for the link🤔

Yep, that's it..

It's 125% FCC or 100% cash refund that needs to be claimed by 30th November this year... 

Can't find anything else anywhere... 

Andy 

• Like 1

I've taken this from the Saga thread.  Given that most insurance companies are now not covering CV 19, I can't see how anyone would be prepared to book a new Saga cruise at the moment. In the same way I can't understand why anyone would book a P&O cruise unless they have an existing policy that covers CV19.

QUOTE:

Saga Holidays Optional Included Travel Insurance (purchased with your Saga holiday or cruise)

Please note, if you have purchased the optional Saga Holidays Travel Insurance with your holiday or cruise after 00:01am on Friday 3rd April, 2020, the following applies:

Your Saga Holidays Travel Insurance policy will not provide cover for any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), or any mutation of.

If you unfortunately become hospitalised as a result of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), as part of your holiday booking, Saga Holidays will assist with your repatriation to the UK.

END QUOTE:

1 hour ago, emam said:

I believe that it’s always been the case that you had until November to opt for a refund but, as others have pointed out, DaiB had said that he had read that you could just let the FCC expire and get your money back once it is no longer valid I.e. beyond the November deadline - but he’s gone a bit quiet on that now. I hope that he is correct, as that gives people more options, but fear that he might not be. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I believe that it’s always been the case that you had until November to opt for a refund but, as others have pointed out, DaiB had said that he had read that you could just let the FCC expire and get your money back once it is no longer valid I.e. beyond the November deadline - but he’s gone a bit quiet on that now. I hope that he is correct, as that gives people more options, but fear that he might not be. 

I wish people wouldn’t post myths it just gets others wound up if everybody stuck to the facts it would make a lot more sense. FB is being overrun with garbage at the moment I came on here hoping to get some genuine information and this is what I find🤷‍♂️

On 4/13/2020 at 1:17 PM, zap99 said:

We are booked on Iona for the end of August. Balance is due at end of May. If not cancelled by then we will cancel and lose the deposit . " Only " £130. If offered would take cash refund, or FCC. If in a month, or so it appears that the cruise will go we will pay the balance

If the experts say it is safe to travel on cruise ships again, we will go.

I've just cancelled our July Iona cruise, we were able to take the deposit paid as FCC. I actually thought that was pretty good, since I was cancelling and not P&O. They would have had every right to offer nothing