3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No idea what you are talking about. 

Just explain why I cannot sit next to my wife on a park bench.

Because now is not the time to push the boundaries, we all need to be complying with the rules, it is not about our rights, our stupidity could kill our neighbor or family member. Sit with her at home!

Support all others, Wowzz you need to help others, which I am sure you do generally

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

, our stupidity could kill our neighbor or family member.

Just explain why sitting next to my wife on a park bench will kill my neighbour or a family member.

I sit next to my wife in our garden. If we go on a walk and I sit next to her on a bench, what is the difference?

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just explain why sitting next to my wife on a park bench will kill my neighbour or a family member.

I sit next to my wife in our garden. If we go on a walk and I sit next to her on a bench, what is the difference?

Worzz

Because you then set a trend, if you move the boundary, some one else will push it further.

You are old enough to understand this, it is what we have to teach those that come after us.

Obey the rules!

It is simple,

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Wowzz

The other reason is sitting on your arse is not exercising?

Sorry for being brutal but this is not the time to rebel!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

The only reason we have sufficient ICU  beds, is because all other surgery is being cancelled. You need a stent - sorry,  we need the ICU bed for a possible CV19 patient. You need a kidney transplant- sorry, we need the bed for a possible CV19 patient. Does anyone see a trend here?

There are more people that will die in the future, because of the way hospital admissions, surgery,  referrals etc are currently being handled , than will due because of CV19. 

People have to be kept as safe as possible, and this current environment isn't for such operations with such a high risk of any level of risk or infection.

I am sorry you don't feel we are doing a good enough job.  I will bear that in mind when I drag myself out to work at 6am, driving through near deserted city streets, in a department treating Covid-19 patients - a large majority of whom also likely didn't see the issue with bending the rules a bit.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree. We walk a loop around the Trent most days.  Takes 90 minutes or so (sorry Michael Gove). If we were to sit down on a bench to admire the view, in theory, the local plod (not that they are ever around) would move us on. I can't see the difference between walking and sitting. Hopefully someone will enlighten me.

Although it wasn’t widely reported at the time, around 10 days ago the Police issued revised guidelines on exercise during lockdown. This included allowing people to sit down for a rest during a long walk. Seems sensible to me. If I go for a one hour / 3 mile walk I am able to do so without stopping, but many older people, or those with health conditions, will have to catch their breath periodically. This revised guidance also included the ability to drive somewhere for a walk, as long as your drive wasn’t longer than the walk itself. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

At a guess Wowzz I would say when you sit in your garden you do not get loads of public joining you .

You go sit in a park on a bench and others see you and think, I can do that if you can and then before you know it,

you have a crowd . Or to put it another way what makes you so special that you can ignore the rules whilst others 

do the right thing  and Stay indoors and save lives . Hope you understand that better and do the right thing .

unnamed.jpg.337a14777d169ec104ad05dfb09ffa9b.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

If someone has coronavirus and sit on a seat outside they might cough or sneeze or touch the seat with their hands and the virus could be left on the seat and when someone else sits down on the seat and their hands touch the seat then touch their face they then are likely to catch the virus.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Although it wasn’t widely reported at the time, around 10 days ago the Police issued revised guidelines on exercise during lockdown. This included allowing people to sit down for a rest during a long walk. Seems sensible to me. If I go for a one hour / 3 mile walk I am able to do so without stopping, but many older people, or those with health conditions, will have to catch their breath periodically. This revised guidance also included the ability to drive somewhere for a walk, as long as your drive wasn’t longer than the walk itself. 

I agree with you Selbourne , I fall into that section of people that would need to rest but I would never sit there with

packed lunches and flask, making a day out of it. Which was the spirit in which my first post was made .

I do not think  anyone would stop them from doing that if they need to .

It's just the ones who do it simply because they can and have this strange notion that they could not possibly catch 

or spread the virus .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

None at all wowzz, but others will not know that you're married and it could encourage them to sit down next to another stranger.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Because you can pick up the virus if someone sat their before you who has it. If you  help out your elderly mother during this time I would have thought you'd be more vigilant and not take risks. 

Avril 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Because you can pick up the virus if someone sat their before you who has it. If you  help out your elderly mother during this time I would have thought you'd be more vigilant and not take risks. 

Avril 

My mother lives 150 miles away. I haven't seen her for 2 months.

55 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My mother lives 150 miles away. I haven't seen her for 2 months.

That must be stressful for you both as you can't get to visit her but it does seem from another post of yours that she's happily doing well. My 87 year old brother-in-law however died recently with covid. He lived alone and was looked after only by his daughter who had been as careful as she possibly could. Do you think that if you had to look after an elderly relative you would look at this differently and realise there are more important things than sitting on a park bench.

Avril 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, showingdiva said:

People have to be kept as safe as possible, and this current environment isn't for such operations with such a high risk of any level of risk or infection.

I am sorry you don't feel we are doing a good enough job.  I will bear that in mind when I drag myself out to work at 6am, driving through near deserted city streets, in a department treating Covid-19 patients - a large majority of whom also likely didn't see the issue with bending the rules a bit.

Well said. There are many that appreciate what you are doing and putting your life at risk.

• Like 6

The danger is that people after a while become complacent and make their own rules.  

"Did take a sneeky visit to my best friend after shopping at Tesco on Wednesday.  We kept 2 metres apart and had coffee in the garden.  It was lovely and I felt very norty."

And that was from a regular poster who would argue,  quite correctly perhaps,  that there were no risks. Still against the law though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, batholiver said:

The danger is that people after a while become complacent and make their own rules.  

"Did take a sneeky visit to my best friend after shopping at Tesco on Wednesday.  We kept 2 metres apart and had coffee in the garden.  It was lovely and I felt very norty."

And that was from a regular poster who would argue,  quite correctly perhaps,  that there were no risks. Still against the law though.

This was done in a private garden though, and even if observed by a potential rule breaker, should not encourage them to sit chatting on a park bench.

Don't be fooled that everyone is being sensible.. 

Someone we know caught the virus and was extremely ill. The first day after she felt a bit better she went to Home Bargains and queued with about fifty other people, because she wanted to get out of the house!!! 

This is someone who, until now, I would have classed as sensible and reasonably intelligent... 

Protect yourself as nobody else can do it for you... 

Andy 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, showingdiva said:

The next time you drag yourself out to work at 6am, please remember I for one and many others would like to say

Thank You  to you and all who you work with . You are all doing a great job... Thank You and keep up the good work.

:classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile:                                                                                                                                             :classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile:

unnamed.jpg.afcf9e073b08f4d30b589dfd4f35ef9c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Don't be fooled that everyone is being sensible.. 

Someone we know caught the virus and was extremely ill. The first day after she felt a bit better she went to Home Bargains and queued with about fifty other people, because she wanted to get out of the house!!! 

This is someone who, until now, I would have classed as sensible and reasonably intelligent... 

Protect yourself as nobody else can do it for you... 

Andy 

Well put, Andy.  We assume that people will act sensibly and take the safety of others into account, but many don’t. Self isolation rules are clear, but how many take the line that it only applies to others?

• Like 3

Exactly Andy. A bit like when driving, you need to have your wits about you with what others might do. Shopping unfortunately is hard work to negotiate perfectly at the current time. 

On the bench thing, I can understand needing a rest, but personally I haven't and wouldn't sit on one since this outbreak, and wouldn't exercise to the extent or in an area where I'd potentially need one.

I've seen quite a few sat on the benches around our village when walking my dog, of all ages, and just think why risk it?

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, showingdiva said:

I'm absolutely certain that wowzz wasn't in any way suggesting that NHS workers aren't doing a fantastic job - you are, and thank you very much for all you're doing.

Actually, looking at his post,  he was criticising recent governments for their failure to provide enough intensive care beds, and running down the NHS to such an extent that it can no longer cope with normal demands, let alone this. And he's right of course. 

This particular government has let you all down by failing to take any action until a month too late, and even allowing major sports events to go ahead, spreading the virus far and wide. Don't even get me going on the contiuing  testing and protective equipment failures. 

51 minutes ago, kalos said:

The next time you drag yourself out to work at 6am, please remember I for one and many others would like to say

Thank You  to you and all who you work with . You are all doing a great job... Thank You and keep up the good work.

:classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile:                                                                                                                                             :classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile::classic_love::classic_smile:

unnamed.jpg.afcf9e073b08f4d30b589dfd4f35ef9c.jpg

Thank you.   It's been a very long few weeks for all the staff, as it will have been for all NHS workers throughout the country.   I would rather have been planning my (now cancelled) Queen Mary 2 cruise.  Usually at this time of year, everyone is starting to relax a bit now the usual winter problems (norovirus, bad weather limb injuries etc) are behind us.    It's been very humbling hearing people clapping - and the horns of the ships in the local port - in support of all (and I mean ALL) NHS workers.   But I can be reasonably confident that to most of us, it's another day at the job a lot of us have been doing for years ... with more stress.  

It's lovely to hear the ward bells ring when another patient has been discharged to continue their recovery from this horrible illness.

But leaving politics aside (especially as I am thankful we have no PPE problems and spare ITU beds, and I have been tested (negative)), it really, really is just about two things - stay at home and wash your hands.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1