3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Agree with you absolutely about Simon Calder.  There’s nobody out there with the years of practical travel experience he has behind him (and real travel, not just theoretical) and the ability to convey his knowledge of the industry to readers, listeners and viewers.

As for the future, who knows?  Unless and until there’s an effective vaccine, and that’s a long way off, or some effective treatment, people are going to be very wary indeed about risking their lives on a cruise ship. Many of the present customers are already having to self isolate, and may have to do that for some months to come, again unless and until there’s a vaccine.

Have you been on holiday Harry, or were you forced into temporary absence?😉

• Like 3

It’s difficult to think of any situation which conforms less with social distancing than cruising.  All those ‘pinch point’ places on public decks; dining rooms; buffet 😳; theatre; gangway queues; tour coaches; shuttles; tenders - how to square that circle?  No idea

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Agree with you absolutely about Simon Calder.  There’s nobody out there with the years of practical travel experience he has behind him (and real travel, not just theoretical) and the ability to convey his knowledge of the industry to readers, listeners and viewers.

As for the future, who knows?  Unless and until there’s an effective vaccine, and that’s a long way off, or some effective treatment, people are going to be very wary indeed about risking their lives on a cruise ship. Many of the present customers are already having to self isolate, and may have to do that for some months to come, again unless and until there’s a vaccine.

Welcome back Harry.. 

Andy 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s difficult to think of any situation which conforms less with social distancing than cruising.  All those ‘pinch point’ places on public decks; dining rooms; buffet 😳; theatre; gangway queues; tour coaches; shuttles; tenders - how to square that circle?  No idea

Indeed. And one of the scientists advising the government was talking on Radio 4 this morning about social distancing having to continue for several months yet - that’s absolutely inconsistent with cruising as we now know it.  Doubtless there are ways of modifying it, and I imagine Carnival are working hard on that right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Indeed. And one of the scientists advising the government was talking on Radio 4 this morning about social distancing having to continue for several months yet - that’s absolutely inconsistent with cruising as we now know it.  Doubtless there are ways of modifying it, and I imagine Carnival are working hard on that right now.

I just can't picture any form of social distancing on a cruise Harry. 

The theatre, bars and just moving around can be quite intense. 

Eating is a possibility, but at much reduced capacity. 

Andy 

• Like 1

IMHO, it sounds a not unreasonable assessment that so many won't go back, but sure there will be enough who will continue regardless in the short term, and then over some considerable time numbers will, steadily, increase again. 

But what be lost/changed as part of this? Fair chance of ship quantity and staff streamlining?  Port streamlining for both mandatory (we don't want you) and monetary (more time on ship to spend more) reasons? Free food streamlining for more on board spend again? More free facilities lost and new cabins added, or the opposite of that, actually lose some of the extra cabins previously added and introduce new spending facilities? Staggered buffet sittings? 

Whatever happens, it'll be fascinating to see how it all develops for the industry, and how they will modify but retain the appeal. 

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The US CDC director has said, in announcing the latest ' no sail order ' that there is clear evidence that the cruise ship environment exacerbates the spread of the virus, and after widespread testing of the Grand Princess and the Diamond Princess it was found that the 'attack rate ' was high, higher in fact than in household and city environments.

The CDC is calling for the cruise industry to address the many issues that this raises including on board social distancing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

The US CDC director has said, in announcing the latest ' no sail order ' that there is clear evidence that the cruise ship environment exacerbates the spread of the virus, and after widespread testing of the Grand Princess and the Diamond Princess it was found that the 'attack rate ' was high, higher in fact than in household and city environments.

The CDC is calling for the cruise industry to address the many issues that this raises including on board social distancing.

What they didn't do was to quarantine just those showing symptoms as they do, sometimes quite successfully, with norovirus.  This must apply to crew as well, which was probably the main factor in keeping the spread of infection going, especially on Diamond Princess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What they didn't do was to quarantine just those showing symptoms as they do, sometimes quite successfully, with norovirus.  This must apply to crew as well, which was probably the main factor in keeping the spread of infection going, especially on Diamond Princess.

Apparently the testing also showed a number of people who were asymptomatic so, while showing no symptoms, they were free to wander the ship possibly infecting areas by touch.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Very good point.

I heard it was 1 galley crew member who was the main spreader.

23 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

Apparently the testing also showed a number of people who were asymptomatic so, while showing no symptoms, they were free to wander the ship possibly infecting areas by touch.

This could apply to any virus or bacterial infection.

A coronavirus immune passport for every crew member would be a good start and better still if passengers have one too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

I know that was the case on Ruby, not sure about Diamond.. 

Andy 

It might have been Ruby Princess Andy thanks.

If they had been able to get people off the Diamond Princess earlier it would have minimised the deaths and the cruising bad press.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

It might have been Ruby Princess Andy thanks.

If they had been able to get people off the Diamond Princess earlier it would have minimised the deaths and the cruising bad press.

Australian police did a criminal investigation into Ruby Princess and apparently traced it back to one member of crew handling food... 

That shows how stringent and accurate checks will need to be for crew and passengers... 

Andy 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

Good point Jake , which makes you wonder how many to date are still roaming the planet unaware they have even had the covid virus.

So as well as the worry about cruise ships, we are in lock down and yet our airports are still bringing passengers into our country totally unchecked upon arrival.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5

Unfortunatly, this is the reality the companies are in right now. I dont know exactly how many cruisers are there but I can say for sure that the gigantic companies will continue to operate like nothing has happend. Some small cruiser companies around the globe will suffer for sure and some even quit the business but this is how capitalism work. Hope these companies will deal with it some how 

3 hours ago, jake 26 said:

Not in the case of the Diamond Princess when initially everyone was confined to their cabins, and when exercising was permitted, the numbers were limited and masks and gloves had to be worn and social distancing was observed.

20 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just heard locally that terminal staff have been told to expect to return to work on 4th July? 

I suppose that is subject to change as a lot would need to be done beforehand... 

Seems doubtful to me, but here is hoping...

Andy 

The question is how many ports around the world if any will be open to accepting cruise passengers in July? 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The question is how many ports around the world if any will be open to accepting cruise passengers in July? 

Good question, I think they are banking on Norway opening their ports. 

Insurance, health checks etc would worry me more... 

Who knows. 

Andy 

Good question, I think they are banking on Norway opening their ports. 
Insurance, health checks etc would worry me more... 
Who knows. 
Andy 

I don't think there is any chance of cruising in July. Listening to the daily press conference, I am thinking September, at the earliest. By then there will be massive pressure on governments from resort/ports, cruise lines and passengers to get things going as soon and as safely as possible.

Much later than November then I fear the worst.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, daiB said:

I don't think there is any chance of cruising in July. Listening to the daily press conference, I am thinking September, at the earliest. By then there will be massive pressure on governments from resort/ports, cruise lines and passengers to get things going as soon and as safely as possible.

Much later than November then I fear the worst.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are probably right Dai. 

My positivity tells me it could all happen quickly once the ball starts rolling again, then reality sets in... 

Andy 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 2:48 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Did anyone else get the cc survey? 

Typically loaded questions with multiple choice answers which often didn't include what you wanted to say... 

That's how figures get manipulated... 

Andy 

I got one. Took a look and thought 'What's the point'. Delete.

Avril 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Very good point.

I heard it was 1 galley crew member who was the main spreader.

I can remember the news reporting that it was a passenger  on Diamond Princess who had disembarked in Japan.

Avril 

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I can remember the news reporting that it was a passenger  on Diamond Princess who had disembarked in Japan.

Avril 

Thanks.

As Andy pointed out it was Ruby Princess and not Diamond Princess where 1 food worker started the virus.