3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

We will cruise again one day God willing, but will feel happier once there is some sort of a vaccine and probably late in to next year. Having said that, I would also say that we are saying that about everything at the moment : shopping, a weekend away at a hotel, putting the cats in the cattery, going out shopping in the supermarket, flying  ….. etc etc

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Very interesting survey happening now in another place. Do you intend to cruise again.

Yes.......1300+

No.......11.

700+ say they would cruise straight away
300+ say next year.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It just goes to show that you cannot trust statistics ( or statisticions )

it all depends on how the question is put. We have all been victims of the dreaded P&O cruise satisfaction survey where you are asked the same question ( usually about formal nights ) in about five slightly different ways in the hope that they will get the answer they want.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, daiB said:

Very interesting survey happening now in another place. Do you intend to cruise again.

Yes.......1300+

No.......11.

700+ say they would cruise straight away
300+ say next year.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, there we have it. There is no issue at all. The whole cruise industry can rest easy. The recent wall to wall news coverage of cruise ship holidays from hell, cabin confinement, Cornovirus spreading like wildfire, over 70’s being advised against cruise travel etc etc  has all made not a jot of difference. Obviously that survey is far more credible than anything that the scaremongering, sensationalist Simon Calder can come up with. Why he constantly appears on all the TV channels as the most respected travel journalist in the UK I have no idea. The reason that people are struggling to get through to P&O on the phone is nothing to do with the amount of cancellations that they are processing, they are clearly overwhelmed with new bookings. Best to get any bookings in pretty quick, as clearly all cruises will be sold out and a great time to buy shares in cruise companies as the markets are clearly unaware of this great news and have massively underpriced the share prices. Keep it quiet, but those of us now in the know can make a fortune. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

So, there we have it. There is no issue at all. The whole cruise industry can rest easy. The recent wall to wall news coverage of cruise ship holidays from hell, cabin confinement, Cornovirus spreading like wildfire, over 70’s being advised against cruise travel etc etc  has all made not a jot of difference. Obviously that survey is far more credible than anything that the scaremongering, sensationalist Simon Calder can come up with. Why he constantly appears on all the TV channels as the most respected travel journalist in the UK I have no idea. The reason that people are struggling to get through to P&O on the phone is nothing to do with the amount of cancellations that they are processing, they are clearly overwhelmed with new bookings. Best to get any bookings in pretty quick, as clearly all cruises will be sold out and a great time to buy shares in cruise companies as the markets are clearly unaware of this great news and have massively underpriced the share prices. Keep it quiet, but those of us now in the know can make a fortune. 

Ask me would I cruise again... Yes

Ask me would I cruise again if nothing is done to solve the issues above... No

Despite the positivities,  would any of us get on a cruise ship without any health checks, vaccines, insurance and with the virus still spreading like wildfire.. Yes, I'm sure some would, but not me... 

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Despite the positivities,  would any of us get on a cruise ship without any health checks, vaccines, insurance and with the virus still spreading like wildfire.. Yes, I'm sure some would, but not me... 

Andy 

And that’s exactly where I am Andy. We have had lots of enjoyable cruises (all with P&O) and are gutted that the Iona Maiden is no more. It would have been our first Maiden cruise and we were going with our daughters, which we always enjoy (and they were so much looking forward to it) but, even though we are well under 70, we won’t set foot on any cruise ship until Coronavirus has been well and truly beaten, as it would be foolhardy to willingly put yourself in such a known high risk environment. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I agree Andy.

Now the full realisation of this virus is known and how it can afflict anyone a vaccine and tests are imperative before anyone can feel safe.

This applies to cruising but also anywhere where large numbers of people congregate like:-

Football matches.

Pop Concerts.

Race meetings.

Airport's

Trains.

Etc,etc.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have to say that I am not a great fan of Mr Calder. He turns up constantly as a "rent a quote" spokesman, and basically tells everyone the blatantly obvious.   

I think that’s probably fair, as I rarely learn anything new from him either, but I don’t think he’s sensationalist and his take on things is usually sound. 

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I agree Andy.

Now the full realisation of this virus is known and how it can afflict anyone a vaccine and tests are imperative before anyone can feel safe.

This applies to cruising but also anywhere where large numbers of people congregate like:-

Football matches.

Pop Concerts.

Race meetings.

Airport's

Trains.

Etc,etc.

So true Graham, and it makes you realise just how challenging the exit strategy from the Lockdown will be. I am struggling to see how on earth we get from where we are now to where we were a few months ago without another flare up. I wouldn’t want to be one of the decision makers on that subject. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think that’s probably fair, as I rarely learn anything new from him either, but I don’t think he’s sensationalist and his take on things is usually sound. 

I actually like him and he is the most recognised face of travel over the years always giving good advice.

• Like 2

I think one issue with the original ‘survey’ is that it was conducted on Twitter. In terms of social media, I would think that Twitter is fairly low down the list of those sites commonly used by a lot of people that cruise, and as such is not necessarily representative of the entire cruising community. However, it may reflect more of the people the cruise lines are trying to attract (the younger demographics)!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think part of the problem is that he is the "go to" expert, and therefore gets wheeled out on every occasion.

Strangely enough he came up to me in Tampa Airport last year, looking for information about our BA flight! Perfectly polite and friendly.

8 minutes ago, downsmead said:

I think one issue with the original ‘survey’ is that it was conducted on Twitter. In terms of social media, I would think that Twitter is fairly low down the list of those sites commonly used by a lot of people that cruise, and as such is not necessarily representative of the entire cruising community. However, it may reflect more of the people the cruise lines are trying to attract (the younger demographics)!

I think you’re right re the demographics, but I would argue that any surveys or polls taken on sites that are used predominantly by regular cruisers (including this site) have far less credibility than any poll of the wider population. We are, by definition, ‘the converted’, as most of us are experienced cruisers. As we know from the way P&O is going, we are less important to their future aspirations than those who have never previously considered cruising as an option and I can’t help but feel that this target audience is now going to take an awful lot more convincing. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

So true Graham, and it makes you realise just how challenging the exit strategy from the Lockdown will be. I am struggling to see how on earth we get from where we are now to where we were a few months ago without another flare up. I wouldn’t want to be one of the decision makers on that subject. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t!

I understand all your concerns Selbourne, but I am hoping that self isolating, social distancing, lockdowns and herd immunity will eventually reduce this virus to something manageable, and I am hopeful we might reach this situation before the end of the year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I think you’re right re the demographics, but I would argue that any surveys or polls taken on sites that are used predominantly by regular cruisers (including this site) have far less credibility than any poll of the wider population. We are, by definition, ‘the converted’, as most of us are experienced cruisers. As we know from the way P&O is going, we are less important to their future aspirations than those who have never previously considered cruising as an option and I can’t help but feel that this target audience is now going to take an awful lot more convincing. 

The other thing of course, is that opinions are all "in the moment" and can change in a split second.

5 weeks ago we were trying to persuade my in-laws that they should cancel their April cruise with a doctor's note as they are particularly vulnerable to this virus. I still remember their eyes glazing over as soon as I started explaining why. P&O made the decision for them and we can pinpoint the day that the penny dropped for them and they started self-isolating (thank goodness).

Similarly, 6 weeks ago I still thought our July cruise had a chance of sailing, now I don't think anything will sail in 2020. Just my opinion of course, others will differ, and I may (and probably will) change my mind at some stage.

Edited by DamianG

Discussing the subject with my wife over weekend, now our May cruise has been cancelled and we are awaiting our refund, we said we are unlikely to cruise again until after a vaccine has been developed and vaccinations have been given.

We may be back to land based holidays for a while, as initially the cruise option on travel insurance is likely to soar in price especially if you have other health conditions.  So perhaps the hiring of a motor home and touring U.K. and Europe will be back n the agenda.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I understand all your concerns Selbourne, but I am hoping that self isolating, social distancing, lockdowns and herd immunity will eventually reduce this virus to something manageable, and I am hopeful we might reach this situation before the end of the year.

So do I John. The herd immunity issue is very interesting. It’s probably the only route back to life as normal, prior to a vaccine, but is political dynamite. When this first started, I was of a view that I’d quite like to catch it and get it over with, rather than have it hanging over me like an axe for the next year or two. That was when they said that the vast majority of people would get mild to moderate symptoms. Now, having seen how ill middle aged people (and younger) with no significant underlying health issues can be, I am quite fearful of it. Also, people might not realise that they have an underlying health issue until their body is tested to the extreme. Not a good way to find out!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Having been to Tunisia a few times, I am pleased to hear that their tourist industry has recovered. It’s a shame that the same can’t be said of Egypt. Their tourist industry collapsed after terrorist attacks and has never recovered. Great shame as I always fancied a Nile cruise and all the ancient sites. 

The tourist industry in Egypt has certainly partially recovered.  I did a Nile Cruise and 3 nights in Cairo almost exactly 3 years ago.  It was a shadow of its former self, with a lot of cruise boats laid-up at various points along the river but there were still a number operating.  Security was excellent throughout and it was wonderful to see all the sights without enormous crowds.

Once travel is back on the agenda, I would recommend it to anyone - its a fabulous experience.  Obviously, not very suitable for anyone with mobility problems though.

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We have to John. 

As Selborne says, I wouldn't want to be the one making the call, but it will get to a level where we need to get the economy moving and a decision on the risk/effect will be made, whether we like it or not.. 

Of course, it won't happen overnight but a gradual return with restrictions is not that far away, perhaps weeks... 

Cruising will be the last to get back to any type of normality though. 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Means nothing... 

We all want to cruise again, but not many of us will step foot onboard unless we feel safe and insured. 

We still have 4 booked, but I ain't going anywhere near a cruise ship until accurate checks are in place or I am vaccinated... 

Australian police say the Ruby Princess problems started from 1 galley worker... 

Andy 

• Like 2