Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I lived in Utah (Dugway actually) for almost sixteen months.  Nice state.

Is it true that at one time you had to prove you lived in another state to order a mixed drink, ie, out of state license?  Ever have the Polygamy Porter?  Not a great taste but an intriguing slogan "When One Isn't Enough."

We love the outdoor dining.  One of our favorite Italian restaurants had tables in the parking lot.  Nice after the sun went down. We have a large covered deck.  We have ceiling fans and a large screen TV on the wall. We have most of our dinners Spring, Summer, Fall, on the deck.  

I don't remember the "out of state" thing.  I remember the "walk of shame" when you had to go up to the hostess stand at a restaurant to buy your airline-size mini bottle to mix with your drink.  I remember when you could bring a bottle of boozer into a music venue, drink yourself silly, but you couldn't bring the bottle back out with you.  I remember if you wanted to go to a private club (aka a bar every place else), you had to pay for a "membership" - usually around $5 to get in or $100 or so for a year membership.  Everyone still has to show ID to get into a bar - that's how we got our first case of COVID-19: the bouncer a the door caught it from one of those hundreds of tourists a night that he interacted with in early March.  

I have had Polygamy Porter - yeah not the best.  The slogan is now "Why Have Just One."  They also have a Nitro Polygamy Porter now - they call it the "sister-wife".  They made a Tshirt once with the sexes reversed, saying "why should he have all the fun."   Little fact:  Wasatch Brewery was the first brewery allowed in Utah since Prohibition.  Greg jumped through a ton of hoops to get it allowed.  

Dugway, huh?  Did you glow when you left?  Or were you there helping to destroy the stockpiles? 

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Tomorrow I will be leaving my house for the first time in 102 days to get a haircut.For me it is a necessity.Restaurants are not yet in that category.

Don't let them cut off your beard!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Don't let them cut off your beard!!!!!!!!!

My wife trimmed my beard yesterday.I have to wear a mask in the barber shop.

I was just on Zoom with my friend who lives in Saugerties.He shaved his beard .It is totally gone,but he has long hair.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I don't remember the "out of state" thing.  I remember the "walk of shame" when you had to go up to the hostess stand at a restaurant to buy your airline-size mini bottle to mix with your drink.  I remember when you could bring a bottle of boozer into a music venue, drink yourself silly, but you couldn't bring the bottle back out with you.  I remember if you wanted to go to a private club (aka a bar every place else), you had to pay for a "membership" - usually around $5 to get in or $100 or so for a year membership.  Everyone still has to show ID to get into a bar - that's how we got our first case of COVID-19: the bouncer a the door caught it from one of those hundreds of tourists a night that he interacted with in early March.  

I have had Polygamy Porter - yeah not the best.  The slogan is now "Why Have Just One."  They also have a Nitro Polygamy Porter now - they call it the "sister-wife".  They made a Tshirt once with the sexes reversed, saying "why should he have all the fun."   Little fact:  Wasatch Brewery was the first brewery allowed in Utah since Prohibition.  Greg jumped through a ton of hoops to get it allowed.  

Dugway, huh?  Did you glow when you left?  Or were you there helping to destroy the stockpiles? 

I'm originally from Oklahoma.  Back in the sixties when I was in college, we had some strange liquor laws.  My favorite was this.  We had two types of beer.  3.2 beer which was labelled non-intoxicating and sold in convenience stores cold.  6 point could only be sold in liquor stores and could only be sold hot.  Women could buy 3.2 beer at eighteen but not 6 point (until she turned 21).  A man could buy neither until he turned 21.   Note: it was important to be sure the girl you were dating was at least 18 so she could buy beer.  Here's the funny thing.  An 18 year old girl could not consume a beer with her pizza at a pizza place but she could back a semi upto a 7-11 and fill it with beer.

Dugway didn't do a lot with nuclear stuff.  It was mostly a 'bugs and gas' place.  The stockpiles weren't at Dugway.  They were at the Toole facility about 30 miles away.  I don't think they started disposal until after I left.  I had nothing to do with that.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Tomorrow I will be leaving my house for the first time in 102 days to get a haircut.For me it is a necessity.Restaurants are not yet in that category.

I got my first professional hair cut since March just last week.  My wife had cut my hair twice at home.  You should have seen the look on my barbers face when I walked in.  She wasn't pleased at my wife's haircut.

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

We should not embark on a policy that ruins lives and cases more deaths than the disease.  I agree pretend cure the US attempted was almost worse than the illness and started/starts with no clear national guidelines.

Look at almost every other successfully response regardless of political or culture had a clear leadership, strategy and attempt to resource and execute.   Other countries were and are still a chaotic distributed response of political rhetoric

Why does one need to say anti-mask???      A mask is like wearing hiking boots when going hiking or a seatbelt when driving, or looking both ways at a cross walk, the only reason someone says that is they've already made it a symbol, or fearful of others categorizing them...

Even things like masks, testing, contact tracing in some countries have no central strategy and what you do or wear has become politicized, takes leaders to rally in time of crisis.  CEOs, managers, generals, leaders rally not divide.   

I'm not sure we do agree on what you refer to as a pretend cure.  As much as I don't like them I think the SIP/distancing/masks were the correct response.  That does not mean that I cannot recognize that there are many people in the low risk category that feel the response was wrong for them.   When this is all over we may very well find it was.  I actually hope that is the case so we will have a more livable response if/when this happens again.   

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm that same boat (pun intended).  Unfortunately, "do whatever you are comfortable doing" is the only guidance we have.  I'm OK going to certain grocery stores than others.  I'm OK going for takeout.  I'm OK going to my hairstylist.  I'm OK going camping.  I wear a mask.  I am going to go for tea with a dear friend this week at a small shop that has outside tables.  That's about as comfortable as I am right now.  I'll probably not be going into a restaurant for awhile and I certainly will not be going into a bar.   For now, it's my "normal".  No shame in that to me. 

We have been doing our shopping during the early morning "senior hours" at Sam's club.  I went with Mrs Ldubs on Friday afternoon and was kind of uncomfortable with the crowds.   Though I do have to say everyone seemed polite to keep distances and everyone was wearing masks.  The staff was really helpful with routing folks at the checkout lines.  Really,  it was just that I was out of the habit of being around large groups of people.   Like you I think it will be awhile before we go for inside restnt dining.  

Is there any talk of your resort area opening anytime in the near future?  

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm originally from Oklahoma.  Back in the sixties when I was in college, we had some strange liquor laws.  My favorite was this.  We had two types of beer.  3.2 beer which was labelled non-intoxicating and sold in convenience stores cold.  6 point could only be sold in liquor stores and could only be sold hot.  Women could buy 3.2 beer at eighteen but not 6 point (until she turned 21).  A man could buy neither until he turned 21.   Note: it was important to be sure the girl you were dating was at least 18 so she could buy beer.  Here's the funny thing.  An 18 year old girl could not consume a beer with her pizza at a pizza place but she could back a semi upto a 7-11 and fill it with beer.

Dugway didn't do a lot with nuclear stuff.  It was mostly a 'bugs and gas' place.  The stockpiles weren't at Dugway.  They were at the Toole facility about 30 miles away.  I don't think they started disposal until after I left.  I had nothing to do with that.

If you were at Dugway, and you're in Alabama, did (do) you work at Redstone?  

We joke about Dugway and Tooele as the "nuclear dump".  Dugway did have the "bugs and gas".  But, some new commercial nuclear waste dumps have been built out there.  Hence, the "glow".  

We had 3.2 beer. which was sold in grocery and convenience stores until January 1.  Now we have all the good stuff in the grocery so you don't have to make the trip to the State Liquor Store to buy your beer.  But, when you have a tourist from someplace that is at sea level, drinking 3.2 beer at 8100 ft can be fun to watch!!

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We have been doing our shopping during the early morning "senior hours" at Sam's club.  I went with Mrs Ldubs on Friday afternoon and was kind of uncomfortable with the crowds.   Though I do have to say everyone seemed polite to keep distances and everyone was wearing masks.  The staff was really helpful with routing folks at the checkout lines.  Really,  it was just that I was out of the habit of being around large groups of people.   Like you I think it will be awhile before we go for inside restnt dining.  

Is there any talk of your resort area opening anytime in the near future?  

Well, Park City will open July 1 with limited activities (lift served hiking/biking, alpine coaster and slide).  Deer Valley opens on June 26 for lift served biking/hiking.  I don't know what's going on for the other side of the Wasatch.  As far as dining, we're in the Phase 2 with limited indoor seating.  On Main St. they are allowing restaurants to build temporary "patios" out on the street in front of their restaurants to have some outside dining.  All of our major summer activities - 4th of July parade & fireworks, Arts Festival, Savor the Summit, Concert Series, Tour of Utah bike race - are all cancelled.  So,  the big things that people would come in for from around the country aren't happening.  

The one good thing about the area is that most people are good about masks.  Those that don't seem to be from the rural parts of the county.  It's easy to miss them by not shopping at certain places.

39 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I got my first professional hair cut since March just last week.  My wife had cut my hair twice at home.  You should have seen the look on my barbers face when I walked in.  She wasn't pleased at my wife's haircut.

My wife trimmed my hair about 5 weeks ago.When I look in a mirror now I look like Charleston Heston playing Moses in the Ten Commandments.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Well, Park City will open July 1 with limited activities (lift served hiking/biking, alpine coaster and slide).  Deer Valley opens on June 26 for lift served biking/hiking.  I don't know what's going on for the other side of the Wasatch.  As far as dining, we're in the Phase 2 with limited indoor seating.  On Main St. they are allowing restaurants to build temporary "patios" out on the street in front of their restaurants to have some outside dining.  All of our major summer activities - 4th of July parade & fireworks, Arts Festival, Savor the Summit, Concert Series, Tour of Utah bike race - are all cancelled.  So,  the big things that people would come in for from around the country aren't happening.  

The one good thing about the area is that most people are good about masks.  Those that don't seem to be from the rural parts of the county.  It's easy to miss them by not shopping at certain places.

Hmm, maybe I can convince the family to go there, we had Whistler booked for the week but can't cross the border now.   We've been to Park City and Deer Valley for holiday skiing but never summer ( whistler with the mountain biking, river, and zipline/tree treks always have won out.   ) 

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I'm not sure we do agree on what you refer to as a pretend cure.  As much as I don't like them I think the SIP/distancing/masks were the correct response.  That does not mean that I cannot recognize that there are many people in the low risk category that feel the response was wrong for them.   When this is all over we may very well find it was.  I actually hope that is the case so we will have a more livable response if/when this happens again.   

Hopefully we are learning.  Of course “people in the low risk category” can still transmit the virus so, even if there is no likelihood of their suffering anything serious themselves, it may still be necessary for them to comply with certain community safeguards.

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Asymptomatic or pre symptomatic is just playing with words in an attempt to obfuscate their original statements, ie, walking back to preserve the narrative.  

Asymptomatic - a person who never shows symptoms of an illness throughout the duration of the illness 

Pre Symptomatic - a person who is ill but has not yet shown symptoms. 

No conspiracy here😉. Some people read way too much into. People do say what they mean. Not everything is a secret message😜

8 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, politics masquerading is science is a much better explanation of poor reporting.  

I have watched as science reporters have disappeared from the media. So it is not politics the people who are reporting on science just don't understand it. Like that article said one one thing is said and something else is heard. Sensationalism has made the problem worst. On the flip side scientists could do with a little lesson in journalism as they are not the best at communicating with laymens and seem to forget that a lot people don't have the background knowledge to fully understand what they are talking about. Unfortunately we just don't have enough people like Brian Cox or Michael Moseley who are good at translating science to the general public😔

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If you were at Dugway, and you're in Alabama, did (do) you work at Redstone?  

We joke about Dugway and Tooele as the "nuclear dump".  Dugway did have the "bugs and gas".  But, some new commercial nuclear waste dumps have been built out there.  Hence, the "glow".  

We had 3.2 beer. which was sold in grocery and convenience stores until January 1.  Now we have all the good stuff in the grocery so you don't have to make the trip to the State Liquor Store to buy your beer.  But, when you have a tourist from someplace that is at sea level, drinking 3.2 beer at 8100 ft can be fun to watch!!

Oh, yes, I worked at Redstone for 40 years off and on, between time in Korea and my time at Dugway.  I retired in 2013.  

13 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Asymptomatic - a person who never shows symptoms of an illness throughout the duration of the illness 

Pre Symptomatic - a person who is ill but has not yet shown symptoms. 

So an asymptomatic person may be a pre symptomatic person and a pre symptomatic person may be an asymptomatic person.  Word games.

BTW, I agree with  your assessment of the lack of knowledge within the journalism profession.  Unfortunately they believe they believe they know far more than they do.  A little humility would do most of them so good.

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

So an asymptomatic person may be a pre symptomatic person and a pre symptomatic person may be an asymptomatic person.  Word games.

No, how did you get that from what I wrote? Asymptomatic people never get symptoms so it is impossible to be pre symptomatic. But a pre symptomatic person can be misdiagnosed as asymptomatic because when they were diagnosed they had not shown symptoms yet. So the question becomes who is the spreader? The asymptomatic infected or the pre symptomatic who were misdiagnosed as asymptomatic. Unless there is a comprehensive study to clearly separate the two there is no way to be sure who are the lower risk as spreaders or the high risk spreaders. Until then it is best to err on the side of caution. 

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife trimmed my hair about 5 weeks ago.When I look in a mirror now I look like Charleston Heston playing Moses in the Ten Commandments.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Look on the bright side.   You could look like Yul Brynner.

Or Telly (who loves you baby)  Savalas.   

On 6/20/2020 at 11:07 PM, RonOhio said:

I assume you’re referring to the MIT physics study of aerosol dispersal. It’s correct but not relevant. Because we don’t care if we receive a speck of an infected person’s DNA, our concern is whether we will infected. A single virus or a tiny mass will don’t be sufficient to Infect the recipient. The U of Minnesota study shows that any ejecta with enough mass and fluid to infect the recipient will be affected by gravity making 2 m (6 ft) a safe distance from an infected person.   
Just because you were close enough to hear a gunshot doesn’t mean that you were hit by the bullet.

I'm struggling to accept the notion that the quantity of virus received means it won't infect you.  Virus is virus, in any quantity.

However small amount you begin with, it will replicate over time exponentially, 1,2,4,8,16,32 etc so the only thing that a larger or smaller starting quantity does is affect how long it takes for it to have replicated enough to cause a person symptoms (i.e. incubation time).

Here's the MIT freeze frame shot of a person sneezing

image.png.6b775f59513c7f0af7c6241205bf756d.png

Forgive me but anyone who voluntarily chooses to stand even 4m away in that cloud of infected material is imho an idiot, let alone standing 2m or 1m !

Social distancing is a nonsense imho.  It's a crowd pleaser.  A way to placate the public.  Always has been.

The wearing of masks, had it been mandated from the outset would have helped lessen cloud sprays like the above.

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

No, how did you get that from what I wrote? Asymptomatic people never get symptoms so it is impossible to be pre symptomatic. But a pre symptomatic person can be misdiagnosed as asymptomatic because when they were diagnosed they had not shown symptoms yet. So the question becomes who is the spreader? The asymptomatic infected or the pre symptomatic who were misdiagnosed as asymptomatic. Unless there is a comprehensive study to clearly separate the two there is no way to be sure who are the lower risk as spreaders or the high risk spreaders. Until then it is best to err on the side of caution. 

Since you cannot tell the difference between the two, the plan is to put everyone into a form of quarantine?  Isn't that rather expensive?

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

OK, Lenny. After you have the Red Sea parted, maybe you can have that cruise ship on wheels that you desire, or at least a river boat for a river cruise.

Edited by ontheweb