Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

masks are not required at restaurants. 

They're not required/requested once you're seated. Enter with a mask on, remove once seated, put it back on before leaving. All staff will have on masks and gloves.

26 minutes ago, clo said:

They're not required/requested once you're seated. Enter with a mask on, remove once seated, put it back on before leaving. All staff will have on masks and gloves.

Our restaurants are still take out, no seating.

Are your restaurants spacing the tables at least six feet apart? Are they limiting capacity, and if so by what percentage?

53 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Are your restaurants spacing the tables at least six feet apart? Are they limiting capacity, and if so by what percentage?

How many restaurants have been forced out of business because of these protocols?

How many workers have lost their jobs at these restaurants?

No one knows how many lives, if any, have been saved.

Is that worth it?

57 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Six feet apart and no more than five at a table. IIRC NV says 50% reduction in capacity. What I'm seeing is that it seems like a lot of people got used to and like the take-out feature so that's continuing. A chef/restaurateur is saying that except for Saturday nights they're not usually more than 50% anyway. He's our 'rock star' chef here in town. But it's going to be precarious for sure. I'd like to see that go away not yet but be one of the first things.

1 hour ago, clo said:

You really think wearing a mask from the car to the table is providing some useful level of protection?

I'm trying to follow the logic here.  Restaurants are so dangerous that one should wear a mask from the car to the table but they are safe enough that one can remove their mask once at the table?  That makes sense to you?

I would think that one who is convinced that restaurants are so dangerous that one had to wear a mask, they would cook at home, have delivery, or takeout.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

How many restaurants have been forced out of business because of these protocols?

Is that worth it?

1 minute ago, clo said:

Yep.

Do you think those who have had to close their businesses or those who lost their jobs, their homes, etc., would agree with you?

Why are your preferences more important than theirs?

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Is that worth it?

With time we will have the data and will indeed be able to calculate how many lives were saved.

But in the meantime, let's apply logic:  once demand returns and it is safe to dine out, restaurants will reopen and restaurant jobs will return. However, once dead, one cannot return to life. Perhaps it is wise to err on the side of the less severe consequence.

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you think those who have had to close their businesses or those who lost their jobs, their homes, etc., would agree with you?

Maybe you should ask this question of them:  would you rather lose your job or your life (or the life of your spouse, or elderly parent)?

Perhaps we should do a better job in this country of providing meaningful unemployment insurance when catastrophic events like this occur.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

And what about those essential workers who did get Covid 19 because their workplace would not implement Covid-19 reduction protocols? Is it worth dying, being medically impaired or losing an elderly relative whose living with you because you brought the disease into the household for you job? Don't workers deserve a safe working environment? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

With time we will have the data and will indeed be able to calculate how many lives were saved.

But in the meantime, let's apply logic:  once demand returns and it is safe to dine out, restaurants will reopen and restaurant jobs will return. However, once dead, one cannot return to life. Perhaps it is wise to err on the side of the less severe consequence.

Maybe you should ask this question of them:  would you rather lose your job or your life (or the life of your spouse, or elderly parent)?

Perhaps we should do a better job in this country of providing meaningful unemployment insurance when catastrophic events like this occur.

The problem is we do not know how many lives will be saved but we do know the economic impacts.

Those restaurant employees are of an age where it is highly unlikely that they will lose their life.

We should protect the elderly but wearing a mask while walking from the car to the restaurant table seems like an unlikely way to accomplish that objective.  It certainly offers no protection to the server that might save the life of their elderly parents.

We are already providing an additional $600 per week in unemployment.  Many business owners are reporting that their former employees have refused offers since they can make more at home on unemployment.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

And what about those essential workers who did get Covid 19 because their workplace would not implement Covid-19 reduction protocols? Is it worth dying, being medically impaired or losing an elderly relative whose living with you because you brought the disease into the household for you job? Don't workers deserve a safe working environment? 

Do you think wearing a mask while walking from the car to the table and then removing the mask while at the table contributes to a safer working environment?  I thought the idea behind wearing a mask was to protect others.

Here are two questions for you.

Do you think the waiter has a safer working environment because the customer wore a mask while walking across the parking lot?

Do you think the waiter has a safer working environment while he is serving the customer who is no longer wearing his mask at the table?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you think wearing a mask while walking from the car to the table and then removing the mask while at the table contributes to a safer working environment?  I thought the idea behind wearing a mask was to protect others.

Here are two questions for you.

Do you think the waiter has a safer working environment because the customer wore a mask while walking across the parking lot?

Do you think the waiter has a safer working environment while he is serving the customer who is no longer wearing his mask at the table?

My reply wasn't in reference to wearing a mask in a restaurant. But since you brought why are you against people doing this? In a pandemic people are scared so they choose not to go out just like we saw in Brazil. If masks give people the sense of safety needed to sit in a restaurant doesn't that support your whole argument about getting businesses up and running? 

Thought I should add this CC article that shows businesses can run well with COVID19 reduction protocols. It is not all doom and gloom🤗

Just Back From Banff

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The fact that some insist on symbolic gestures doesn't mean those gestures are effective.  After all, most politicians like to be seen as 'doing something'.

Then there are some who symbolic don't wear them!  What is their point?  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The problem is we do not know how many lives will be saved but we do know the economic impacts.

We also know the economic impacts of a pandemic. Scared people don't spend. Instead of going to a restaurant they would take their discretionary funds to hoard toilet paper. You don't help the economy by ignoring the infection. If anything it only makes people feel more hopeless if they feel their governments don't have a plan. The only businesses that end up reaping the profits are the COVID19 miracle cures along with alcohol, canned food and apparently toilet paper😳

Edited by ilikeanswers

3 hours ago, clo said:

This is utter nonsense sorry.

People are still bamboozled about the whole mask wearing issue and most of it is because people have been totally lied to by their governments and by the WHO.

The science has ALWAYS said and known that the aerosol droplets coughs and sneezes travel 8m or more and can float and linger in the air for a substantial amount of time.    The entire 2m social distancing notion was a complete lie and nonsense from the outset.  It has protected no-one.   It has served only to make the public think they are doing something worthwhile but the reality is anyone who went out in public, to the grocery store etc, was putting themselves at risk.

Consequently wearing a mask to a restaurant but then taking it off once seated would be an utter nonsense.   As soon as anyone coughs or sneezes in the room lots of other people will be at risk.

Mask wearing was the only tangible way to slow the spread of the virus from the outset but the WHO and governments lied to everyone about their benefits because there was a scandalous shortage of PPE and/or because they actually wanted to follow a "herd immunity" strategy.  Probably both.

Unless masks are mandated the whole thing is a nonsense.  Making it voluntary is like taking down all the road speed limit signs and asking drivers to use their common sense when driving.   An obviously futile strategy.  

We are now way beyond the point at which mandating mask wearing would make a difference.  They deliberately gave everyone a bum steer on the issue from the very outset and consequently the virus spread far and wide and thousands of people have died.   Had everyone been mandated to wear a mask in public 6 months ago, things would be very  different.

What you have instead is a massive Campaign Of Fear perpetrated which is designed to frighten weak minded people senseless so that when a vaccine comes along everyone will go flocking to get their shots.   It's been appalling from start to finish.

Wearing masks on a cruise ship would just make for a horrible holiday experience.  Visually, and in terms of personal comfort.  I can't see it being a viable prospect TBH.  

We simply have to get to the point where we allow people to take their chances just as they do with Flu and Norovirus and the like.   Social distancing isn't going to do anything and mask wearing simply isn't feasible when you want to eat and drink.

Let people sign disclaimers that they are happy to take the risk on a cruise without masks, without social distancing and let people get on with it.   Those that don't want to take that risk can find an alternative vacation but in truth at some point everyone is going to have to come out of their hermit shells and face the world again.

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If masks give people the sense of safety needed to sit in a restaurant doesn't that support your whole argument about getting businesses up and running? 

No, it does not support my argument because the customers are not wearing a mask in the restaurant, only in the parking lot.  How does the customer get a sense of safety when they're not wearing their masks in the restaurant?

Reports are that the masks are only worn while walking across the parking lot.  Is it your intention to give people a sense of safety in parking lots?  I wasn't aware that we were trying to get parking lots up and running again.  

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Is that worth it?

I work in hospitality and I lost my job in the middle of March due to COVID-19.  My place hasn't opened yet and may not until November.  When that extra $600 comes to an end in July, I will be up that particular "creek."  

So, I do not need that ad-hominem lecture.  

Is it worth it?  To me YES.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We are already providing an additional $600 per week in unemployment.  Many business owners are reporting that their former employees have refused offers since they can make more at home on unemployment.

That $600 is only for 6 more weeks, as it expires the end of July.   Then, depending on state, we drop down to the $300/week that we will get in UI.  As for making more on UI, perhaps those business owners should take a serious look at how much they were offering in base pay...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, it does not support my argument because the customers are not wearing a mask in the restaurant, only in the parking lot.  How does the customer get a sense of safety when they're not wearing their masks in the restaurant?

Reports are that the masks are only worn while walking across the parking lot.  Is it your intention to give people a sense of safety in parking lots?  I wasn't aware that we were trying to get parking lots up and running again.  

Sigh...

It's not just walking through the parking lot.  Waiting in line to get in, walking through the restaurant, sitting at the table when you aren't eating, going to the restroom (If the restaurant has it open - some keep them closed because they can't clean fast enough)...  

The girls in JAX who contracted COVID were in a bar that was shoulder-to-shoulder with no masks on either side of the bar (a violation - servers/bartenders are supposed to wear masks).  One of the girls, when interviewed and asked why they didn't wear masks, said "well the Governor said it was OK."  

Tables 6 ft apart: I asked an owner if that was 6 ft between physical tables or if that 6 ft included the space a diner in a seat would take up - couldn't answer.  So, the tables are probably physically 6, but in reality people are only 4 ft apart.

Signing a release to get on a ship:  So are the cruise lines going to have separate ships - those for people who will wear masks and physical distance and others for people who won't but will sign a release saying they'll take the chance???  You can't mix the two in a contained area for any amount of time.  

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Our restaurants have outdoor seating and for those that never did that before it is interesting the way they are doing it.Not that I have been able to see but I get e-mails with videos.

41 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

How does the customer get a sense of safety when they're not wearing their masks in the restaurant?

I would like to once again patronize a restaurant by dining in the restaurant and not using carry-out.  Your question is the main one that concerns me.  I realize when I go to a drug store, my barber, or a grocery that I am putting myself at risk.  But, the time that I spend at those places are much less than when I am dining at a restaurant, seated in one spot, for a much longer period of time.