When will you feel comfortable going on a cruise again?

cruiseagona

We were going on a 25 day BTB Alaska and Hawaii cruise end of August and Sept. I'm going to cancel it. Even if they go, I just don't feel comfortable going on a cruise. I so want to go but I feel like it's my heart talking and not my head. My head is telling me not to go. So I'm wondering, when will you feel comfortable cruising again. And what needs to be in place (safety wise on the ship) for this to happen? TIA

I feel very comfortable on a ship then being at home/on land. with al of the cleaning cruise ships does everyday, it feels safer then my own home and stores in my area

i am very looking forward towards my cruise on the Encore in September

• Like 4

Just now, shof515 said:

I feel very comfortable on a ship then being at home/on land. with al of the cleaning cruise ships does everyday, it feels safer then my own home and stores in my area

i am very looking forward towards my cruise on the Encore in September

I'm not looking to "argue" but how can it be safer than your own home. At home, it's just you and your family. Just those germs. On a ship, your home is with several thousand other people. (I'm trying to figure this all out that's why I ask.)

• Like 7

You can choose to be a prisoner in your own home or you can go out and see the world.  It's your choice.  We can hardly wait to get on a ship but have to wait until November for our next scheduled cruise.  We're not exactly spring chickens anymore and there's still a whole lot of the world we haven't seen.

btw, if you don't like the answers folks are posting, why ask the question?  Just to see if anyone agrees with you?  

Edited by Diver2014
  • Like 4

When there is a vaccine and there isn't a stir of another novel virus of this magnitude snowballing. Earliest possible for ME, if those are in place, is 2022. We planned to book one for January, 2021, but no way now. 

Honestly, going on a cruise is falling down much farther in my list of preferred vacations given the crowded shared spaces and potential of being stranded in those confines. I have one cruise that's on my bucket list (Panama Canal) and my extended family really wanted to do an Alaska cruise (I've vacationed there, so it's not a biggie for me...luckily we had to abandon plans to go this fall!), so those might be the only other cruises I take. We'll see if this is more of a blip, or something that starts occurring in the U.S. with more frequency. If it's a blip, my attitude might change with time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weltek said:

When there is a vaccine and there isn't a stir of another novel virus of this magnitude snowballing. Earliest possible for ME, if those are in place, is 2022. We planned to book one for January, 2021, but no way now. 

Honestly, going on a cruise is falling down much farther in my list of preferred vacations given the crowded shared spaces and potential of being stranded in those confines. I have one cruise that's on my bucket list (Panama Canal) and my extended family really wanted to do an Alaska cruise (I've vacationed there, so it's not a biggie for me...luckily we had to abandon plans to go this fall!), so those might be the only other cruises I take. We'll see if this is more of a blip, or something that starts occurring in the U.S. with more frequency. If it's a blip, my attitude might change with time.

We just returned from a 16 night Panama Canal cruise. Love it. Actually we also did it last year too. Hopefully you'll be able to go.

17 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

You can choose to be a prisoner in your own home or you can go out and see the world.  It's your choice.  We can hardly wait to get on a ship but have to wait until November for our next scheduled cruise.  We're not exactly spring chickens anymore and there's still a whole lot of the world we haven't seen.

There will be better and worse times to cruise. 2020=the worst. Needing emergency  healthcare on a cruise is horrible. 

Edited by weltek

16 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

btw, if you don't like the answers folks are posting, why ask the question?  Just to see if anyone agrees with you?  

No need to be snarky. And I'm not judging. I don't want to get ill. Don't talk to me about being a prisoner in my own home. You don't know me, so don't judge me by what I ask! We just returned from being away for 6 weeks. We lost our daughter 9 months ago and have moved halfway across the country to be close to our two granddaughters. You are judging, not me!

• Like 8

I don't care how clean the ship is or how much you wash your hands. If you are in an elevator and someone sneezes or coughs all the washy washy is not going to matter.   This is mainly an airborne virus. That is why social distancing is so important.  That is impossible on a cruise ship.  A person can be asymptomatic and still pass the virus,  which makes any sort of screening less effective.  I have cruised 43 times, but it will be a while before I take another. 

• Like 4

@cruiseagona, you mentioned moving across the country to be with your grandkids—I'm pretty sure that we did the same tour in Costa Rica, I remember talking with you. We were the crazy ones that decided to do a 16-day Panama Canal cruise with our 2-year old daughter. What a wonderful vacation it was. I feel so lucky that we got to do it before the pandemic was declared.

For us, we'll travel again once the virus is no longer a threat, which will probably be once there's a readily-available vaccine or highly-effective treatment, which will bring the pandemic to an end. If I had to guess—maybe late 2021.

It's hard, because we have family that's international, and we don't anticipate seeing them until next year—let alone cruising.

We will miss traveling until then, but it's a conscious decision to stay home to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We're trying to keep in mind that this is just for now—in the future, I'm sure we'll cruise again without a second thought. The more we work together to defeat COVID-19, the sooner that future will be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

This is mainly an airborne virus. 

Do you know this as a fact?

In the beginning they said that it wasn't airborne but later I have heared that it might be airbourne. I have not heared any "expert" say that they know it's airbourne.

I don't say that you are wrong, only that I haven't heared any "expert" say that they know it't airbourne.

7 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

In the beginning they said that it wasn't airborne but later I have heared that it might be airbourne. I have not heared any "expert" say that they know it's airbourne.

I don't say that you are wrong, only that I haven't heared any "expert" say that they know it't airbourne.

Airborne in the sense that the virus can be transmitted on droplets when somebody coughs or sneezes.

It will never be the same anymore. Even if there is a vaccine for it, no 100% chance saying you are not going to get it. Same thing with the flu. Heard on the news that it will come back in the same season as the flu. So if this is true, then this Winter - more people will be getting it. Taking temperatures will not do anything. If a person does not show any symptoms, s/he can board the ship and can give it to many cruisers. This is why this virus is dangerous. One of the main reasons for lock down in homes right now is because they do not want to flood the hospital beds. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

My bad. What I meant was that the virus can be transmitted through the air by coughing or sneezing,  unlike noro virus which transmitted via contact.  Although covid19 does hang out in the air for quite some time, depending on conditions. 

My biggest concern has been and continues to be a fear of being quarantined. I'm still working and it's a job I can't do from home. I can afford to take a week or two off for a vacation. I can't afford to take 2 weeks off for a vacation plus another 2-4 for a quarantine. Until ships start sailing and the issue of getting stuck at sea or quarantined has been resolved I'm not willing to risk getting stuck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have a cruise scheduled for the end of February which we plan on cancelling. We won't feel comfortable cruising or doing a lot of other things until there is a vaccine.

My husband is on immunosuppressants after having a kidney transplant and as much as we enjoy cruising/air travel, it is not worth the risk. We do have vacations planned for later this year that we plan on taking, but those don't involve flying (he actually isn't allowed to fly until a year after his transplant -- this was before Covid-19) and we can better control our exposure to crowds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseagona said:

No need to be snarky. And I'm not judging. I don't want to get ill. Don't talk to me about being a prisoner in my own home. You don't know me, so don't judge me by what I ask! We just returned from being away for 6 weeks. We lost our daughter 9 months ago and have moved halfway across the country to be close to our two granddaughters. You are judging, not me!

LOL!  Your second post says you aren't looking to 'argue' then you come up with your own 'snarky' reply.  Bye bye, no use in talking to you since you don't want people's opinions.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

@cruiseagona, you mentioned moving across the country to be with your grandkids—I'm pretty sure that we did the same tour in Costa Rica, I remember talking with you. We were the crazy ones that decided to do a 16-day Panama Canal cruise with our 2-year old daughter. What a wonderful vacation it was. I feel so lucky that we got to do it before the pandemic was declared.

For us, we'll travel again once the virus is no longer a threat, which will probably be once there's a readily-available vaccine or highly-effective treatment, which will bring the pandemic to an end. If I had to guess—maybe late 2021.

It's hard, because we have family that's international, and we don't anticipate seeing them until next year—let alone cruising.

We will miss traveling until then, but it's a conscious decision to stay home to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We're trying to keep in mind that this is just for now—in the future, I'm sure we'll cruise again without a second thought. The more we work together to defeat COVID-19, the sooner that future will be.

Yes, I remember you. Hi. Hope you're doing ok with all of this. I remember you well. It was such a wonderful vacation. We loved seeing you with your little one. It reminded us of traveling with our daughter and of our little granddaughters. Stay well!

• Like 1

I think the mere fact that we're here, at this forum, answers the question of whether we'll cruise, again.  Of course we'll be comfortable going, otherwise, we have no reason to be here!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

Not until an  effective vaccine is developed, not only for personal safety but for safety of other passengers and crew as well as safety of people that don't seem to be given a lot of thought by some cruisers:  the folks who actually live at the ports that are visited (some of which are quite isolated and have limited medical infrastructure which would make potential outbreaks devastating).

It is easy to say one has to go out and live life, and of course that is true to a certain extent.  However, this disease can cause people of all ages and levels of health to very rapidly decline.  Many Doctors describe patients who look relatively stable one minute only to be on the verge of death the next.  Cruise ships have medical capacity but to my knowledge none has anything resembling an ICU with ventilators and Physician / Nursing ability to continuously monitor a critically ill patient around the clock.  A rapid decline in respiratory capacity at sea or at any distance away from port is likely to equal death.

All in all, some patience does not seem an undo burden to either me or my wife.

Edited by Friscorays
  • Like 1