When will you feel comfortable going on a cruise again?

cruiseagona

On 5/4/2020 at 2:46 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

That is what I would have said a few weeks ago but now I am not so sure.    I am not talking about ‘man flu’.  One of the times I was tested a nurse told me about a 30% false negative rate.  If you are not tested early enough it may well miss you.   Not that I think I had Covid-19, I had a throat infection but as a healthworker I had to be tested.   

I don’t know, this is such new science.   We have to test because we need to seek out the virus but I don’t trust the results that are published in terms of comparing countries.  

Approx 30% false negative is correct.

We have patients who are no longer ill but still are testing positive weeks later. They are the one who are immobile for various reasons.

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

My wife told me today that she want to go cruising so bad that no virus will stop her. I also think that if you are young (under 40) you shouldnt be worry too much about it. The only thing I worry about is my kids. I wouldnt take my kids with me. If I risk my life, let it be solely my life and not of my kids 

Kids are almost immune to corona anyway, they get it, spread it but are mostly unaffected

I'm glad I don't have anything coming up soon (after our March cruise got canceled). At this point, I'd be making choices based on how each port was handling things and that gets caught up with timing as to whether you cancel before or after final payment. That is, whether you get cash back or just cruise credits.

1 hour ago, Comi.uy said:

Kids are almost immune to corona anyway, they get it, spread it but are mostly unaffected

Really, I think perhaps not. Or else, UK and US public health would not issued this alert and warning to subscribed healthcare professionals ... pushed out yesterday via the HAN here in NY area as clinicians are expecting to come across these "isolated" cases.  Unlucky & perhaps odds aren't high, but false on immunity.  And I haven't brought up AKI (kidney) damages against otherwise healthy adults with no known risk factors. 

Most that get it and unaffected, but it is NOT okay to spread it.  Period, full stop, from a public health & medicine standpoint. 

Enjoy and it is great to dream and move forward with hope. Reality often hurts and can be very painful.

Screenshot_20200504-212649_Gmail.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

I will feel comfortable going on a cruise after cruising has been resumed for about 6 months and there are no Covid-19 outbreaks on those cruises.

Even though I've already had Covid-19, the jury is still out on whether that gives me immunity and while I am looking forward to cruising again I am not taking any chances ( the virus sucks to say the least!!)

I cruise pretty frequently and I just pushed two NCL and two Celebrity 2020 cruises into 2021 and cancelled four 2020 Royal cruises.  That puts my next cruise at April 2021 and I hope we are back to normal by then!!

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 12:13 PM, Comi.uy said:

Except for those that are developing a potentially fatal  inflammatory syndrome similar to Kawasaki disease.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, Comi.uy said:

In the rare care ncl does go bankrupt, FCC will migrate to whoever purchases NCL.

Not so.  If they restructure in BK and stay in business then, similar to the airlines, they would probably honor the FCC's.

If they go totally out of business and there is a liquidation (sale of assets) then it would be very unusual for a buyer of assets to accept any liabilities of which the FCC's would represent a very large amount (probably in excess of a billion dollars)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, npcl said:

Except for those that are developing a potentially fatal  inflammatory syndrome similar to Kawasaki disease.

Sadly, three fatalities reported thus far, today ... 

https://abc7ny.com/health/child-with-mysterious-illness-possibly-linked-to-covid-19-dies/6163433/

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/05/1st-nj-child-4-years-old-dies-from-coronavirus.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

The more they learn about this disease the worse the complications seem to be getting.  It was one thing when the worry was pneumonia.  Then you start getting the blood clotting, the strokes in 30-50 year olds, the kidney impacts, etc.  Most of that seems to be related to cytokine storm caused by  the immune system.

hopefully they will get results from some of the anti-inflammatory med trials.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I will feel comfortable going on a cruise after cruising has been resumed for about 6 months and there are no Covid-19 outbreaks on those cruises.

Smart answer. 

There's a chorus of CC members so very, very eager to be aboard the first guinea pig cruises ... we can call them the "watch this, hold my beer" crowd. Oh well.

For me, I'll take another look at cruising after the mega-$$ folks on Seabourn have been sailing successfully for several months without incident. That will be the signal that mass market cruising is safe.
(another signal would be if Del Rio, Fain and Donald all took their families for some B2Bs in standard cabins, posting plenty of social media selfies in the hotspots: elevators, stairways, corridors, theater, MDR, gym, poolside, etc)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

(another signal would be if Del Rio, Fain and Donald all took their families for some B2Bs in standard cabins, posting plenty of social media selfies in the hotspots: elevators, stairways, corridors, theater, MDR, gym, poolside, etc)

This 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

9 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Smart answer. 

There's a chorus of CC members so very, very eager to be aboard the first guinea pig cruises ... we can call them the "watch this, hold my beer" crowd. Oh well.

You folks beat me to the punch. We need the "watch this hold my beer" crowd to lead the way.

• Like 3

I won't feel really comfortable until there is a vaccine.  We have a transatlantic booked in April 2021 and have our fingers crossed, also booked Alaska in 2022.  After this round of financing bankruptcy for NCL isn't in the cards....any company which can hold out for 18 months should be ok, as there should be a vaccine available during that time frame.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 7:36 AM, alley24 said:

Everyone should demand their refunds back in cash,  FCC will be of no use if they go bankrupt , will the new cruise ship owners honor the FCC I doubt it..

That's exactly what I thought.  That's why I asked for money back instead of FCC. 

We'll cruise again when:

NCL Cruisers come back / post live from cruises with photos and commentary writing what a great time they had;

Prices are reasonable for us;

NCL has gone months with no outbreaks onboard and no outbreaks in the embarkation city;

NCL gets a handle on and enforces social distancing, and

NCL / insurance co.'s offer some type of insurance that pays for onboard health care expenses and related / subsequent quarantining expenses.

Questions I have:
Can the virus spread in common pools/spas/children's splash zones/drinking water on cruise ships? At this point, the CDC is saying "No" as long as protocol is being followed. What about the idiot who blows their nose into the pool? 

CDC:  "There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities should inactivate the virus in the water."

Can a Cruise Line gurantee this at all times?  If so, I want to see it in writing along with their roll out plans where their chemical levels in pools/spas are maintained.  Has any Cruise Line addressed this?

Drinking from tap in my Cabin:
CDC:  "The COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking water. Conventional water treatment methods that use filtration and disinfection, such as those in most municipal drinking water systems, should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19."

Cruise Lines are different.  Is my cabin water safe to drink? Another stipulation in which I want Cruise Lines to address before I cruise again.

So many studies have not been done.  It's gonna be a crapshoot for the Cruise Lines to prove to me how they will KEEP ME SAFE.  NOT vice versa and take my money for future cruise on their lovely ships.

I hope FDR is relaxing in the VIBE...

JMO and be safe everyone 🙂

33 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Questions I have:
Can the virus spread in common pools/spas/children's splash zones/drinking water on cruise ships? At this point, the CDC is saying "No" as long as protocol is being followed. What about the idiot who blows their nose into the pool? 

CDC:  "There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities should inactivate the virus in the water."

Can a Cruise Line gurantee this at all times?  If so, I want to see it in writing along with their roll out plans where their chemical levels in pools/spas are maintained.  Has any Cruise Line addressed this?

Drinking from tap in my Cabin:
CDC:  "The COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking water. Conventional water treatment methods that use filtration and disinfection, such as those in most municipal drinking water systems, should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19."

Cruise Lines are different.  Is my cabin water safe to drink? Another stipulation in which I want Cruise Lines to address before I cruise again.

So many studies have not been done.  It's gonna be a crapshoot for the Cruise Lines to prove to me how they will KEEP ME SAFE.  NOT vice versa and take my money for future cruise on their lovely ships.

I hope FDR is relaxing in the VIBE...

JMO and be safe everyone 🙂

CDC "dont wear masks, stop wearing masks"  a month later "you must wear masks"   -  could be one of the reasons why we cant beat this, Taiwan and South Korea started wearing masks from the beginning.  

CDC jan 21 Fauci states does not think this will be anything the usa that we should be  concerned about.

I dont have a lot of confidence in the CDC as relates to the current plague we have 

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

CDC "dont wear masks, stop wearing masks"  a month later "you must wear masks"   -  could be one of the reasons why we cant beat this, Taiwan and South Korea started wearing masks from the beginning.  

CDC jan 21 Fauci states does not think this will be anything the usa that we should be  concerned about.

I dont have a lot of confidence in the CDC as relates to the current plague we have 

14 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Be safe 🙂