Carnival continues to move employees home

jimbo5544

14 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Looks like they are settling in for the long haul. 

They seem to say that have people ready to come back quick - but I agree this is going to be a while.

Keep dreaming of cruises - they will happen at some point, but not this point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Looks like they are settling in for the long haul. 

Not sure what the long haul is.   It made no sense at all to have all these crew members sitting on their hands for over two months.  Their start (when it comes) will be slow and deliberate, both in terms of ships and crew.  That start date is not in their hands but the evil step sister.  We will see what that will bring.  

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Princess is having a sale starting May 1 for cruises from Dec 20 - May 22 so maybe that is when they are betting on.

Princess is in deep do do. I fear for that name continuing, I hope I am wrong.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Princess is in deep do do. I fear for that name continuing, I hope I am wrong.

The general public has short term memory. People thought this after the Carnival Splendor and Carnival Triumph incidents and it was also said about Costa after the Costa Concordia but that is all distant memory now. Other examples were Mandalay Bay deciding not to change their name after the Vegas shooting. I'm fairly confident the Princess branding will continue. 

• Like 1

John just discusses this on FB.  He wanted to ensure that cruisers were not concerned with the companies effort to repatriate staff back home.  His statement was their was more than enough already Off contract to start their cruises when they begin to sail.  One less item to discuss here.  

19 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Quite the sad story.

Interesting take on the miserable job the cruise lines have done in getting their crew back home during this protracted shutdown:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/30/carnival-royal-caribbean-and-norwegian-cruise-line.aspx

And, another article written by a first world reporter discussing third world attitudes. 

But, so there are 80-100,000 cruise ship crew "stranded" off the US.  In the two months that the world has essentially been in lockdown, there are 200,000 other merchant mariners who have not been able to crew change either.  Merchant mariners in the world's fleets account for 100,000 crew changes every single month, and those crew members, unlike cruise ship crew, do not change in large batches as the cruise ships are doing now, where cruise lines are getting charter flights for a couple hundred crew at a time, or using their ships to bring hundreds home.  So, guess what, it is not only the cruise lines who are failing their crew.  And when these crew on tankers and container ships reach their statutory maximum time on the ship, ships will start to stop moving, and that means that the 80% of the world's economy that travels by sea will start to slow down, and then there will be a real economic crisis.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, another article written by a first world reporter discussing third world attitudes. 

But, so there are 80-100,000 cruise ship crew "stranded" off the US.  In the two months that the world has essentially been in lockdown, there are 200,000 other merchant mariners who have not been able to crew change either.  Merchant mariners in the world's fleets account for 100,000 crew changes every single month, and those crew members, unlike cruise ship crew, do not change in large batches as the cruise ships are doing now, where cruise lines are getting charter flights for a couple hundred crew at a time, or using their ships to bring hundreds home.  So, guess what, it is not only the cruise lines who are failing their crew.  And when these crew on tankers and container ships reach their statutory maximum time on the ship, ships will start to stop moving, and that means that the 80% of the world's economy that travels by sea will start to slow down, and then there will be a real economic crisis.

Well said.  We need to find a way.  

23 hours ago, Stick93 said:

They seem to say that have people ready to come back quick - but I agree this is going to be a while.

Keep dreaming of cruises - they will happen at some point, but not this point. 

Gonna predict that some of the crew and staff will not be eager to return after the way they've been treated:

https://news.yahoo.com/ive-forced-stay-cruise-ship-190300875.html

11 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Gonna predict that some of the crew and staff will not be eager to return after the way they've been treated:

Ehh... they’ll return. In their home countries, they live in the very top percentages and during such a challenging time, they wouldn’t turn down the opportunity of a cruise contract while they need to provide for their families.

The cruise company will do whatever they can to change the perception and make the crew believe they are safe onboard.

Edited by xDisconnections

2 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

And, every one of these articles you link are complaints from crew from "first world" countries, not from the vast majority of crew.  Both you and the reporters are extending your first world viewpoints and expectations onto people with vastly different cultural outlooks.

• Like 2