Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

17 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

The FDA has to approve any drug or vaccine for use in the USA.

The FDA gave "emergency approval" to "Remdesivir".  It has not gone through the normal testing.  Since we are in an emergency situation, there is no precedence.

• The Oxford vaccine, if successful, will be manufactured by AstraZeneca. They are a large global pharmaceutical company. Thus, if approved in the US, it should be widely available. They have a very large production capacity so shortages should disappear over time.

Hopefully,  but at least initially:

The AstraZeneca-Oxford partnership is looking to produce 100 million doses by the end of the year and prioritise supply in the UK, Soriot told here the Financial Times.

This brings us back to the subject that I got bashed for....... we would go to England to get the vaccine since my DH is a citizen.  Of course, we would contact them first and get an appointment.  My DH does not have years to wait for approval in the U.S. (unless they do an emergency approval as they did with Remdesivir.)

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bissel said:

Travelcat, would you also be eligible to receive one if you are not a citizen?

I would hope so (once people in the U.K. have access to it).  I mention my DH's citizenship because I was bashed for stating that we would go out of the country for the vaccine.  When I mentioned that he was a citizen, I was again bashed and told that he doesn't live in the U.K. and that he doesn't deserve benefits (note:  citizens of the U.K. do receive benefits like Social Security - no matter where they live).  Sometimes on CC, I just can't win.

In any case, we would likely fly to whatever country has it available but would definitely check first to make sure that it okay to do so.

P.S.  One source (from a year ago) has the population of the U.K. to be estimated at 66M. 

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I would hope so (once people in the U.K. have access to it).  I mention my DH's citizenship because I was bashed for stating that we would go out of the country for the vaccine.  When I mentioned that he was a citizen, I was again bashed and told that he doesn't live in the U.K. and that he doesn't deserve benefits (note:  citizens of the U.K. do receive benefits like Social Security - no matter where they live).  Sometimes on CC, I just can't win.

In any case, we would likely fly to whatever country has it available but would definitely check first to make sure that it okay to do so.

P.S.  One source (from a year ago) has the population of the U.K. to be estimated at 66M. 

"(note:  citizens of the U.K. do receive benefits like Social Security - no matter where they live).  "

This is incorrect.

2 hours ago, Isklaar said:

"(note:  citizens of the U.K. do receive benefits like Social Security - no matter where they live).  "

This is incorrect.

This is not the forum to discuss this.  However, my DH has received Social Security benefits from England for over 60 years and the government (U.K.) now pays for his passport due to his age (he is a dual citizen).   Perhaps things have changed and he is grandfathered, but I have no reason not to tell the truth.

bissel- I realize that you were only asking a question.  I was hesitant to respond - lest someone starts an argument again.  In terms of the vaccine, I suspect that  whatever country develops it, would make it available to the world as soon as enough doses are available.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

The vaccines that I am thinking about are being developed in other countries.  I still have the highest hope for the vaccine being tested in England (Oxford).  They are using a formula that has been used in humans before and so far are very successful.  Not sure if it England or another country, but they are talking about billions of doses by the end of the year.

The question is whether or not the government will allow it in this country (hopefully they will).  IMO, if most of the world is using a vaccine but the U.S. wants to continue trials, the protests that we are seeing now are nothing compared to what we will see.

We still do not know if it will have the effectiveness of the current flu vaccines, how long it will work for, etc.

I believe that America will work with Oxford and accept that vaccine.  There is no reason not to.  I have said all along that we will have one by October or November and I sincerely feel confident.  They have skipped the animal testing and cut out of some the red tape.  Everyone wants a vaccine to be successful.  The pedal is to the metal on this one.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

However, my DH has received Social Security benefits from England for over 60 years and the government (U.K.) now pays for his passport due to his age (he is a dual citizen).   Perhaps things have changed and he is grandfathered, but I have no reason not to tell the truth.

I can confirm that the scheme for free Passports in recognition of individuals' contribution to the efforts during WW2 is still in place.

Further information is attached.

BBC Report_2004.pdf

SN03201 (2)_2013.pdf

1 minute ago, flossie009 said:

I can confirm that the scheme for free Passports in recognition of individuals' contribution to the efforts during WW2 is still in place.

Further information is attached.

BBC Report_2004.pdf 528.34 kB · 0 downloads

SN03201 (2)_2013.pdf 54.05 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you!  As I said, there was no reason to state information that was not factual.

• Haha 1

Here is what FdR said at earnings conference call regarding starting up:

Timeline for return to full loads, pricing recovery

Pressed for his take on when the business could return to some type of financial normalcy, Del Rio called 2020 a 'wasted year' and said, at a minimum, lines will go through Q2 without a penny of income.

If NCLH could start sailing Oct. 1 — for argument's sake — the fleet wouldn't be fully operational until the end of Q1 2021 (should it be able to return five ships a month to service, the projected plan). Meanwhile, marketing would be ramping up and travel agents hopefully would be selling.

Given the traditional seven- to eight-month booking curve, 'You end up with a very challenging period of time through Q1, getting better in Q2, every sequential quarter is better,' Del Rio said. 'Whether you get back to full operation, full load factor, full pricing sometime in '22, I personally don't believe. I think the runway will be longer.

Now I am getting concerned about my cruise next May on Navigator.  😔

I think FDR is presenting the best case scenario, which he obviously needs to do. Unfortunately, the cruise industry is at the mercy of many external factors that they can't control. The virus itself, the solutions to make it safer to travel, the health and abilities of other industries such as the airlines, the real and/or imagined risk for customers, the cruising experience itself, governments etc. The entire eco system needs to get healthy to get the cruise industry back to a degree of normalcy. I sincerely hope that things go well and Regent gets back to where it was before this virus crisis. I hope that FDR's scenario plays out. I think NCLH is in the best financial situation among the big 3 but there are a lot of headwinds for the industry to recover. I hated to cancel my September 2020 cruise but I am glad I did. Now if I can get my money back, I will sit on the sidelines and wait this out. I was looking at a similar itinerary for May 2021 but I can't pull the trigger on that one. Maybe September 2021 but that even looks iffy for me at this point. 

• Like 2

pappy1002 - Agree that Frank Del Rio is giving a best case scenario and also agree that they are in good shape financially. 

For those of us that are booked in November, December and January, it still remains iffy.  

I am a bit concerned that Carnival seems to be amongst the first cruise lines to resume cruising.  Carnival targets a young demographic and they tend to not be taking this quite as seriously as is necessary and could make poor decisions if they are permitted to go ashore.  If their ships have Covid-19 issues, the entire industry will be blamed.  

• Haha 1

TC, I agree with your comments on Carnival. It does attract a younger crowd and partying is a big part of their allure. If they don't offer that experience then they will suffer financially. If they start too soon and don't take precautions and God forbid, COVID-19 shows up on one of their cruises, it will impact all cruise lines. On the other hand, if they are successful from a health and safety perspective, it may give others a better outlook on cruising. I think it is a distinct possibility that the virus will show up on some cruises this year no matter what precautions are taken and all it will take is one event to reset the start clock and delay cruising even more. Society and government will probably over react to a cruising incident because of the horror stories from the initial outbreak. It is another headwind that Regent could experience which is totally out of their control, along with the others that I previously mentioned. I am more of a casual cruiser, different then those folks who cruise multiple times per year, so I am willing to wait and see what happens and then decide when I am comfortable to book another cruise. When this virus started, I thought everything would be good by the time my September 2020 cruise was scheduled. Obviously that was a bad assumption and now I have serious doubts that I will cruise anytime in 2021.  

• Like 2

I would be interested to know from those who are hell bent on getting back on a Regent cruise, or any cruise, ASAP, would they want THEIR kids or grandkids applying for positions opening up on board whether the population are 28 year olds or 80 year olds......great way to see the world and get paid...... and if not, why?

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

I would be interested to know from those who are hell bent on getting back on a Regent cruise, or any cruise, ASAP, would they want THEIR kids or grandkids applying for positions opening up on board whether the population are 28 year olds or 80 year olds......great way to see the world and get paid...... and if not, why?

I would love for my 25 year old grandson to be on Regent (not Carnival) when they open up.  He would be far safer than he is now.  There are too many 20-somethings that are not taking this seriously enough.  While he does to a certain extent, the desire to be at the beach in Malibu sometimes take a front seat to being safe.

Some Regent crew member have reported feeling very safe being stuck on the ship - even though they wanted to return to their families that could be less safe.

pappy1022 - once again we agree!  In terms of Carnival, I would be more comfortable if they were trying out one of their other brands instead of Carnival (like Seabourn or even HAL).  

Edited by Travelcat2