Princess selectively cancels additional cruises

JeremyTexas

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/global-ship-operations-pause-2020-australia-canada-taiwan.html

• All cruises sailing in and out of Australia through mid-September on Sea Princess, Majestic Princess, Sun Princess and Sapphire Princess
  • All cruises in and out of Vancouver and Seattle in September and October on Coral Princess, Emerald Princess, Grand Princess, Royal Princess, Ruby Princess and Star Princess
  • Pacific and California Coast 7-day roundtrip cruises from San Francisco departing in September and October 2020 on Star Princess
  • All roundtrip cruises from Keelung, Taiwan, departing August 2020 on Majestic Princess

1 minute ago, mame42 said:

I believe this will affect all Carnival brands.

Me too.  Just wondering when the rest will announce.  At least Princess is being upfront.

No question that no one is sailing out of Vancouver this year and I suspect the other ports as well 😉 

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As discussed on the other thread on the same topic, HAL has essentially already done this. HAL has canceled all of Alaska and all of Europe, which, more or less, means they won't sail before mid October at the soonest.

Not completely. HAL still has on their schedule three early October cruises out of Vancouver, two on the Volendam (we are booked on one of them, and haven’t been notified yet of a cancellation or change in itinerary) and one on the Westerdam. These will likely change soon, but HAL hasn’t done so, yet.

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

Not completely. HAL still has on their schedule three early October cruises out of Vancouver, two on the Volendam (we are booked on one of them, and haven’t been notified yet of a cancellation or change in itinerary) and one on the Westerdam. These will likely change soon, but HAL hasn’t done so, yet.

We are booked on a Koningsdam's Sept 26th sailing out of Vancouver and HAL as yet to cancel this cruise yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2inSETexas said:

As well as cruises in September on the Noordam, Westerdam, Maasdam, Eurodam & Koningsdam.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2inSETexas said:

Unfortunatly Vancouver is closed until October 31st. No ships can dock in Vancouver this season. 

20 minutes ago, Himself said:

Unfortunatly Vancouver is closed until October 31st. No ships can dock in Vancouver this season. 

We know. That was the point of the last few posts. HAL has not yet cancelled or changed the itineraries of several cruises that depart from Vancouver. We are waiting for something from them on the obvious.

I am supposed to do a relocation cruise on the Eurodam from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale.  At this point I wonder if it is a go. The first three stops are Victoria BC, Vancouver BC and San Francisco.  So if it goes, I wonder if it will commence a week later from San Diego.  I just hope it happens.

If we see ANY cruises on ANY cruise line this year we can expect them to be 7 days or less on limited ships, with limited occupancy, r/t from US homeports only.  So with HAL that would limit them to only 3-4 ships at most from SAN, TPA and FLL.  Things will not start up all at once, and when they do it will most likely only be one or two ships coming back online every few months until things are back full steam.  Heck they are still working to get all their non-essential crew members home!

• Like 1

I believe that there are a lot of people who are dreaming in technicolor when it comes to cruises moving forward.  Lots of booking, cancels, rebooking.   Exactly what the cruise industry wants is to keep people in anticipation mode and not wondering off to consider other travel options.

Seriously, who thinks that cruising will not only open up by fall but open up in such a way that it will be an attractive travel option???    We are desperate to start travelling again like everyone else but we are not going to be silly about our health, our time, or our money. 

The notion of social distancing on a cruise on a cruise ship stretches the imagination.  Elevators, hallways, muster stations, MDR's, poolside.  Not going to happen except maybe for the first four hours of day one.  Especially for cruise lines that cannot even come close to enforcing  MDR dress code or rules on chair hogging poolside.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Along with the elements mentioned (crew disbursed & not yet repatriated, and the question mark of safe health conditions on board)  - there are the issues of sufficient flights and country-by-country policies allowing incoming travelers and cruise ships.

I hate to be gloomy, but the pandemic is raging in Mexico and Brazil now, meaning the first wave hasn’t even ended yet, much less a second possible wave in the US following the lockdown liftings.

11 hours ago, iancal said:

I believe that there are a lot of people who are dreaming in technicolor when it comes to cruises moving forward.  Lots of booking, cancels, rebooking.   Exactly what the cruise industry wants is to keep people in anticipation mode and not wondering off to consider other travel options.

Seriously, who thinks that cruising will not only open up by fall but open up in such a way that it will be an attractive travel option???    We are desperate to start travelling again like everyone else but we are not going to be silly about our health, our time, or our money. 

The notion of social distancing on a cruise on a cruise ship stretches the imagination.  Elevators, hallways, muster stations, MDR's, poolside.  Not going to happen except maybe for the first four hours of day one.  Especially for cruise lines that cannot even come close to enforcing  MDR dress code or rules on chair hogging poolside.  

iancal - very well said, especially your first paragraph.

Cruise lines are definitely busy manipulating some cruise patrons and said cruise patrons are falling over themselves spending more $ on bookings for an uncertain product with unknown time frames.

Many consumers, myself included, have left cruising far behind - and are planning other forms of vacation travel.

I know many folks who have just purchased new RV's, new SUV's - with a focus of driving trips all over North America. I mean purchased in the last month. I am just about to purchase a Porsche for the same purpose.

Cruise lines should get their heads out of the sand and realize that many of their well healed customers, are now former customers for the foreseeable future. 

Also from my perspective - this virus is the icing on the cake only - I was getting extremely fed up with the loss of value in cruising before the virus, the cut backs etc.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iancal said:

It's amazing to me also that people are still booking cruises.  Are they living in the past?

If there is one thing that I know for sure, as my local economy opens, nothing is what it once was.  As the hotel and restaurant industry have been heavily impacted, so too will the cruise industry.  And the cruise lines have not been transparent at all about how they will operate once they resume operations.  Even HAL now states that its actual offering may vary from what is offered on its website.  Translation - you can book it, but don't expect to actually sail.

34 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

And the cruise lines have not been transparent at all about how they will operate once they resume operations.  

Before ships can start operations again, the CDC will have to approve their plans for dealing with COVID-19. (At least for those with US-touching cruises...). 

I have to assume this info would be made public. For me, this would be "must-read" material before I would consider booking another cruise.

• Like 1

ABoatNerd......we agree about value.  Over the past two-three years we have seen a significant decrease in 'value to us' and a decrease in quality.  Not a HAL issue, but an entire mass market cruise line issue.  We do not care if it is a Princess, HAL,or Celebrity or whatever ship.  We are doing far less cruising than we have in the past in favour of other travel options.

I do feel that during this covid period the cruise lines are playing their customers like a fiddle.  I believe this is one reason why they are also seem slow to cancel cruises that have no obvious chance of pushing off.  It is a money issue for them but they are desperately trying everything to keep customers committed to cruising,  committed to cruising on their cruise lines and keeping as much money as possible for those future cruises.  Cannot say that I blame them...this is good business on their part.  Not convinced that it is so good for their luckless customers though.

• Like 2

Adding to the chorus of voices. Covid is a deadly disease and it is raging globally. Here's a skeptic who has changed his mind.

Dr John Ioannidis was a guest on Erin Burnett's show (CNN). As you may recall, Dr Ioannidis was part of a covid antibody study about Santa Clara. That study was ripped by his colleagues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ioannidis#Covid-19_research

Today, Dr Ioannidis said that covid19 is a serious problem. Concerned about the second wave. Emphasized the need to save lives. Erin asked him about a recent estimate that the fatality rate is 0.4%. Dr Ioannidis did not dispute that number.

How the world turns?

Edited by HappyInVan

On 6/5/2020 at 5:46 AM, kazu said:

As well as cruises in September on the Noordam, Westerdam, Maasdam, Eurodam & Koningsdam.

I am supposed to do a relocation cruise on the Eurodam out of Seattle in late September. With the situation in Seattle, I would be surprised if it would start a week later in San Diego if it is a "go."