Captain’s Club Power Up Points

cruisestitch

just finished the webinar.     Answers were mostly very carefully done in our opinion and mildly evasive.   

Two things stood out from Laura we know are incorrect, but as I mentioned in a previous post, the no changes to the amenities in Aqua Not is simply not true.  

from my previous posting ie. no apples /fruit on embarkation in cabin (green apples are great for motion sickness), no welcome bottle of champagne in room, no sea pass holder on our last 2 cruises, no canapes, which we had replaced with cheese and being a grazer liked having, no daily herbal tea in cabin etc

re canapes.  Laura said after the first night one would be asked if they wanted them.  We asked.  Answer was NO. No canapes for Aqua and that was on Equinox and Summit 

Laura …no changes to the menus.     really?    guess she hasnt read all the comments

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

At least she admitted that the IV balconies were a polarizing feature and not a good fit for some cruisers.  She indicated the next E-class ship should address that issue.  It will be interesting to see what they will do.

I thought the answer was very cleverly composed--that couples on the same schedule will like it while those that are not might not like it (e.g. the early riser may end up disturbing the partner that sleeps in).  

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

I thought the answer was very cleverly composed--that couples on the same schedule will like it while those that are not might not like it (e.g. the early riser may end up disturbing the partner that sleeps in).  

What happens when you’re in a warm climate and one likes to sit on the balcony and the other likes to sit in an air conditioned cabin to play her computer games, especially when you consider the AC in the cabin gets cutoff when you open the window? 🤔

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What happens when you’re in a warm climate and one likes to sit on the balcony and the other likes to sit in an air conditioned cabin to play her computer games, especially when you consider the AC in the cabin gets cutoff when you open the window? 🤔

Like she said -- couples on the same schedule.  LOL 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Like I said, it was cleverly worded.

• Like 2

We it was obvious to me that the question and answered had been rehearsed.  A couple of time Andrea made mention of having 'previously discussed' so you knew then that these were not 'off the cuff', not that I expected them to be to begin with. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Like I said, it was cleverly worded.

I'll be interested in the solution.  The IV balconies used the outside area to develop a larger interior cabin.  if you truly replace the IV balcony with a real balcony, one solution would be a cabin with a compromised interior. The other solutions would be a much smaller balcony or larger balcony cabins similar to a junior suite on Royal Caribbean.  We'll see.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'll be interested in the solution.  The IV balconies used the outside area to develop a larger interior cabin.  if you truly replace the IV balcony with a real balcony, one solution would be a cabin with a compromised interior. The other solutions would be a much smaller balcony or larger balcony cabins similar to a junior suite on Royal Caribbean.  We'll see.

Why not have a bank or banks of traditional balconies.   

Not on the same schedule for me and DW is when I get up in middle of night, I like to pull back the curtains and see what I can see.  With IV, you have to run the mechanical up/down switch for about 20 seconds and it is loud in middle of night.  🤫

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We recently booked Ascent and we did the panoramic oceanview for that reason.  It looks just like the "Infinite Veranda" and I think it's the same size, but the window doesn't open.  That's ok, as it saved us quite a bit of money and we know that the air conditioner should always work just fine.

Not a fan of these infinite veranda cabins.  As mentioned earlier, MSC's version is an infinite ocean view and priced as such.  In my mind, calling an ocean view cabin w/a window that opens halfway (if they haven't overridden your ability to open it) is a real stretch.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

find a new travel partner! No different than a hotel or any other place that couples go. I am a morning person married to a night person. We accept and make allowance for each other

I'm fine with the infinite verandah as I like how it makes the room bigger, my travel partner and I are very different in the mornings.  I am up very early, walking around track watching sunrise etc.  I sneak out early in morning do my walking then usually have a tea at cafe al bacio and when finished pick up hers to go and bring it back to the room for her.  Sometimes she is up sometimes not.  Either way I just collect my bag for the Solarium and go grab a couple of loungers.  I usually just grab food from Spa Cafe so it works for me.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

find a new travel partner! No different than a hotel or any other place that couples go. I am a morning person married to a night person. We accept and make allowance for each other

🤣 No, that's definitely not an option. But maybe cruising on an E-class ship in the Baltic or on a TA where the temps might be cooler on average would be an option. What we also found annoying on our 21-day Edge Caribbean cruise in Aug 2021 was that there was no internet reception on our portside Sky Suite balcony when the sliding glass door was closed. That's where we learned the AC also shuts off in Sky Suites when the door is open. So as you suggested, we made a compromise and left the sliding door open 3-4" until it got too warm in the cabin for her, then we closed it until it cooled back down.

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I am a night person married to a morning person but on vacation, I'm always the first one up in the morning.

22 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

It did sound like they were doing  some adjustments inside the tiers in that they may provide some benefit once you have reached for example 1250 points in Elite Plus without creating a new tier which Laura indicated they have no plans to do. They actually already do this.

Also I like the idea of some form of combining/credit for sailing a 'sister' companies ship.  They already do it up to Elite and Diamond levels, but not beyond that, thus currently you have to earn Elite Plus and Diamond Plus on each line.  We are taking our granddaughter on a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises and it would be nice to get some credit for that on Celebrity as we are 22 points from Diamond Plus and have 17 days schedule (a day sailed = a point towards next tier).  Still have no thought of making the highest tiers on either Royal or Celebrity. Absent any changes, we will make Diamond Plus in 2025.

On the first paragraph above - they could potentially do what Princess did until they cancelled it during the pandemic.  Since it was fairly easy to reach top level on Princess, they used to give you a little bit of OBC after reaching 20 cruises.  The amount went up a little every 10 cruises, maxing at 100.00.  This was one per cabin.

On the status thing, it would be nice if Elite Plus got Diamond Plus - We're Elite Plus on X, and will do our first Royal cruise in December.  The extra drink each day would be nice, so, although I doubt it, it would be great if something like that happens by December.

3 hours ago, abbydancer said:

On the first paragraph above - they could potentially do what Princess did until they cancelled it during the pandemic.  Since it was fairly easy to reach top level on Princess, they used to give you a little bit of OBC after reaching 20 cruises.  The amount went up a little every 10 cruises, maxing at 100.00.  This was one per cabin.

On the status thing, it would be nice if Elite Plus got Diamond Plus - We're Elite Plus on X, and will do our first Royal cruise in December.  The extra drink each day would be nice, so, although I doubt it, it would be great if something like that happens by December.

As I understand the reciprocal of status is that if you are Elite or higher on Celebrity and you sail on Royal, you would get the Elite level of benefits.  If for example you are Classic level on Celebrity, then you would be given the equivalent  tier on Royal.   So, again as I understand it, you will be given the benefits of whatever is the equivalent of Elite for your sailing on Royal .  That has always seemed like some middle ground to me.  Also, I am not saying you get Elite benefits, but you get the benefits that whatever the equivalent level on Royal offers.

19 hours ago, Stockjock said:

We recently booked Ascent and we did the panoramic oceanview for that reason.  It looks just like the "Infinite Veranda" and I think it's the same size, but the window doesn't open.  That's ok, as it saved us quite a bit of money and we know that the air conditioner should always work just fine.

Not a fan of these infinite veranda cabins.  As mentioned earlier, MSC's version is an infinite ocean view and priced as such.  In my mind, calling an ocean view cabin w/a window that opens halfway (if they haven't overridden your ability to open it) is a real stretch.

Someone mention to me on our Beyond cruise earlier this year that they could override the operation of the windows.  I was a little surprised about that, but guess there could be a time when they want them all up.  

Enjoy your cruise on Ascent.  I hope we sail on her in next year or two.  Want to get back on an S class ship too. 😀

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

As I understand the reciprocal of status is that if you are Elite or higher on Celebrity and you sail on Royal, you would get the Elite level of benefits.  If for example you are Classic level on Celebrity, then you would be given the equivalent  tier on Royal.   So, again as I understand it, you will be given the benefits of whatever is the equivalent of Elite for your sailing on Royal .  That has always seemed like some middle ground to me.  Also, I am not saying you get Elite benefits, but you get the benefits that whatever the equivalent level on Royal offers.

Correct, but once you hit Elite on Celebrity, you get Diamond on Royal, and that's where you stay.  My interpretation of the call was that they are looking at closer synchronization.  Ie, when you get to Elite Plus on X, you get to Diamond Plus on Royal.  Probably won't happen before our Royal cruise, and it may be one time thing.

As a normal Princess cruiser, we have also cruised on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, I watched the webcast with interest.

My first reaction was it was defiantly damage control, so afterwards I wanted to know more about what prompted this self-serving damage control? (I say this recognizing that large corporations often offer up some of their nicest marketing oriented people to carry the can for the decisions of senior officials a long way from the retail crowd who they don't relate to.)  So I decided to research a bit into recent complaints on this board.  

Some observations are:

• I would never book a VI (or IV) offering, and I was not even aware that Celebrity seems locked in on that offering in its newest class.
  • I wonder to what extent Celebrity test marketed that offering to its most loyal customer base?
  • Celebrity must be seriously worried about the matter because it could adversely affect long-term revenue unless fixed. But the cost of doling so could blow the budget. 
  • Princess has its own issues with its most loyal customer base. 

The head of Carnival stated in a recent market call that it is goring to narrow the revenue gap between cruises and land based vacations. (I wonder the extent to which he knows the difference between land oriented vacationers and cruisers, as the drive to reduce costs and raise revenues may suggest to them that all vacationers are just widgets.)  Those marching orders are being pushed down into the Princess brand, which generates a surprising high percentage of Carnival's group revenues. (I forget the percentage.)

For the most loyal Celebrity cruisers, you like us Princess cruisers, know things have gone downhill while prices have gone up.  And surprises among surprises, Celebrity now thinks All in does not include gratuities.  Good luck on that. (Holland America also has that but we recently booked one of its cruises that has AL in with gratuities.) I suspect Celebrity will have to be withdraw or significantly modify its gambit.  Didn't it previously attempt to require all passengers to have its ALL in package , which went over like a lead balloon?  Seems like a follow up ill conceived balloon to me. 

Expect more freelancing by those who like to cruise across brands based on the details of a specific offering whether by fare, AL in, itinerary or dining and entertainment. The brands themselves are causing this.  The question is do they care?

If I understand the complaints on this board correctly, it seems Celebrity is being pushed in the direction of the of Royal Caribbean brand. That is what happened to Princess after Carnival acquired it and started making very noticeable cutbacks especially and initially on entertainment. Before, it had high profile entertainers but that is long gone. On one cruise we were on in the Caribbean, there was a high profile Vegas act (named entertainer plus his wife who was a singer) brought in for two nights as well as the number one entertainment act (husband and wife) on Brutish television.  That was in the 1990s.

While it is going to take some time for this to shake out, expect more changes and more complaints from the most loyal customers in each brand. Not to mention brand damage control.

Meanwhile, we could be headed into a major recession in the next six to eights months, given all the money printing that occurred which caused inflation and the resulting increases in interest rates to cool inflation and the economy. If that unfortunately occurs, both Celebrity and Princess will have to up their game significantly vis a vis their most loyal customers. 

•  
  • Like 5