One Down, Several More to Come

GA Dave

Very sad. This paragraph about the ships themselves is sad to read...........

Royal Caribbean Cruises didn’t say whether Pullmantur would try to bring back all three of its ships as part of its reorganization. But the Cruise Law News blog is reporting that workers in Italy are in the process of stripping valuables off two of the vessels. The blog cited crew members.

These grand ships are so beautiful and to think they are being stripped down is heartbreaking. Not to mention the employees affected. 

Very sad. 

Ships are going for bargain basement prices right now.  This is from another lines chat area:

The RCGS Resolute was sold at auction in Curacao for a slim $600,000 on Monday, according to a source familiar with the auction result. 

This is in sharp contrast to just a few years ago, where multiple operators were lining up to charter the former Hapag-Lloyd Cruises expedition ship, which offers a strong ice class hull and capacity for up to 184 guests. The book value of the ship was previously said to have been in the $25 million range for the former Hanseatic.

A spokesperson representing the auctioneer confirmed to Cruise Industry News that the ship had indeed been sold, but did not elaborate on the sales price or the buyer.

It is also possible the buyer was the existing owner of the vessel, using the auction as a tool to clear any debts on the ship. 

It was a colorful 2019-2020 season for the ship, having been first arrested in Buenos Aires following the demise of One Ocean Expeditions. On the ship's voyage back to Europe, it collided with a Venezuelan naval vessel. The latter ship sank and the Resolute sailed damaged to Curacao, where she has remained since.

It is unclear whether Venezuelan authorities will let the ship leave Curacao. 

Interesting.....kind of a narrow niche in the cruise industry with only 3 (old) ships serving a narrow part of the total available cruise passengers.  Still, sorry to hear this.  Just like Carnival stating they are selling off or scrapping their older ships, this may be a way for the big cruise holding companies to rid themselves of older and more expensive to maintain ships.

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

I hope to have a couple parked in my back yard before the end of the year.  Might have to clear some room to get the Epic to fit.

I want one up on blocks in my driveway.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Love my butler said:

I hope to have a couple parked in my back yard before the end of the year.  Might have to clear some room to get the Epic to fit.

Why would you want that ugly Frankenstein in the back yard!?!?!?!

2 hours ago, jingle5616 said:

Why would you want that ugly Frankenstein in the back yard!?!?!?!

20 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Lol, I have to agree wrt the Epic. The ship would look fine and much better if it didn't have that monstrosity of block of cabins on top and forward. Is this the Haven?

Matter of fact, I believe my profile pic is the Epic. For some reason, I had this picture in my files and it was the only one that would fit into the little square of where the profile pic goes...

11 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Lol, I have to agree wrt the Epic. The ship would look fine and much better if it didn't have that monstrosity of block of cabins on top and forward. Is this the Haven?

Matter of fact, I believe my profile pic is the Epic

Yes, that's it !

I think that's the Haven .

Edited by pspercy

On 6/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, pickle11 said:

"Several more to come".   Several means more than two.  Who is next then?  And when?

JMHO:

• Bahamas Paradise
  • Fred Olsen
  • Hurtigruten
  • Marella

I also see a possibility that the "big 3" may consolidate their multiple lines down to a smaller number to reduce overhead costs going forward and remove redundancies in routes, similar to what happened to the airline industry did after the Great Recession.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:47 PM, farmersfight said:

Them be Haven rooms. Beautiful sweeping views. You shower with 180+ degree views of the sea or the port you are in. 

image.png.5d8daddf554466529ec44f79a4905ff8.png

Edited by BirdTravels

5 hours ago, GA Dave said:

JMHO:

• Bahamas Paradise
  • Fred Olsen
  • Hurtigruten
  • Marella

Not worried.  Haven't cruised any of them.  And what will happen to the ships?  Seems like there will be a lot of inventory out there. 

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Them be Haven rooms. Beautiful sweeping views. You shower with 180+ degree views of the sea or the port you are in. 

image.png.5d8daddf554466529ec44f79a4905ff8.png

Looks like that area of the Epic may be "ugly" on the outside, but she is beautiful on the inside. Interesting that while you shower you can see 180+ degrees of the sea or the port you are in.

Let's just hope that while you are showering in port, the dock workers can't see in from outside, lol.

When it comes to modern cruise ships, especially the MEGA ships are there really any that one would look at and say "Wow..that's a great looking ship"?

To me they all look like floating resorts/hotels/office buildings.  Regardless, it doesn't much matter what the outside looks like.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:01 AM, GA Dave said:

JMHO:

• Bahamas Paradise
  • Fred Olsen
  • Hurtigruten
  • Marella

I also see a possibility that the "big 3" may consolidate their multiple lines down to a smaller number to reduce overhead costs going forward and remove redundancies in routes, similar to what happened to the airline industry did after the Great Recession.

Dave....interesting list.  I don't think you're off the mark in your assessment.  You guys have anything scheduled in the next 18 mos?

On 6/26/2020 at 11:55 AM, graphicguy said:

Dave....interesting list.  I don't think you're off the mark in your assessment.  You guys have anything scheduled in the next 18 mos?

No way.  Not going to put any money down until they are fully up and running for a while.  I was disappointed having to cancel our 10-day out of Rome in September on the Getaway (same cabin as last time - 16710), but at least we got our CN certs back.  We have until September 2022 to use them, so we will see how this Covid goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

No way.  Not going to put any money down until they are fully up and running for a while.  I was disappointed having to cancel our 10-day out of Rome in September on the Getaway (same cabin as last time - 16710), but at least we got our CN certs back.  We have until September 2022 to use them, so we will see how this Covid goes.

I understand.  I’m actually thinking in the next 90 days, things will be much better.  So, I’m looking at the first of next year, as I still have FCC from March.

• Like 1

Sadly...the "shake out" continues...I see many  small cruise companies  disbanding all together   and big ones  shedding some of their  lines....(and if things do not improve...be gone all together)

Edited by jaja

I work in the mortgage industry.  During the recession someone started a web site with an implode o meter for companies.  Unfortunately the majority of their predictions came true. We would all check the site daily to see what had happened.  Let’s hope the same thing doesn’t happen with cruise lines.