The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Always enjoy departing and arriving to New York City.  My first cruise was at age 12 on Home Lines sailing R/T New York CIty.  I had never seen water as blue as it looked until the day after we departed.  

Our arrival to Manhattan in 2016.

Keith

CrystalSerenityNWPArrivalinNYC(PhotoCredit-DianeBondareff.thumb.jpeg.006f94c366899057c9d540850475b9b1.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Always enjoy departing and arriving to New York City.  My first cruise was at age 12 on Home Lines sailing R/T New York CIty.  I had never seen water as blue as it looked until the day after we departed.  

Our arrival to Manhattan in 2016.

Keith

CrystalSerenityNWPArrivalinNYC(PhotoCredit-DianeBondareff.thumb.jpeg.006f94c366899057c9d540850475b9b1.jpeg

Who took that photo, Keith.  Did Crystal have a drone out?

Roy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Who took that photo, Keith.  Did Crystal have a drone out?

Roy

Roy,

I don't think Crystal had a drone. I do remember there were helicopters out that day from various local news channels, but not absolutely sure where this one originated from.

Keith

• Thanks 1

Just now in real time:OLoPP just got off a YouTube live feed she follows of this guy who quit high finance or something to run a farm in Vermont?!  Huh, I had no idea. I wonder if he sells lamb.

Surprise and wonder, my friends, is how you keep the spark alive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Just now in real time:OLoPP just got off a YouTube live feed she follows of this guy who quit high finance or something to run a farm in Vermont?!  Huh, I had no idea. I wonder if he sells lamb.

Surprise and wonder, my friends, is how you keep the spark alive. 

We did a 14 night Trans-Atlantic on Seven Seas Splendor last November. I was chatting with the Onboard Consultant and he made the comment 'Travel agents never really retire.", and it is true. I have about 50 active clients who have become friends, and they keep me busy. I am also the Office Manager so the mathematics of commission payments, and training the "newbies" keeps my mind active. One of these days I may decide to put my feet up, but for now, life is good!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

but at night is rather unsafe in that area 😝

Yes. This is why we prefer to tour during the daytime, to be aware of our surroundings and to recognize that as tourists we can be more of a target. I call it being street smart, part of which we developed growing up not too far from New York City in my case and for Anne Marie in the city. This was at a time where the city had many unsafe areas.

Keith 

• Like 1

I don't remember that venue in Lisbon but it looks very nice.

Today's sunrise is from my last full day on QM2 last year.  July 7 was a sea day from Halifax back to Brooklyn:

dawn707a.JPG.ebb5508972f0c34506cd22cf70666563.JPG

Roy

• Like 4

Keith, 

would you care to make a hotel recommendation for me in Lisbon sonce I've never been there.  I did find and sign up for an all day tour to pena palace, sintra, cabo de roca and cascals.  i think i need to see the belen tower my first day since i'll have all day there after the ship docks.  and must get the pastes and some port wine too!

9 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

Keith, 

would you care to make a hotel recommendation for me in Lisbon sonce I've never been there.  I did find and sign up for an all day tour to pena palace, sintra, cabo de roca and cascals.  i think i need to see the belen tower my first day since i'll have all day there after the ship docks.  and must get the pastes and some port wine too!

I’m not keith…however, I recommend the Avenida Plaza hotel

Nancy

7 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

nancy, i found two hotels with similar names:  avenida plaza hotel and avenida park hotel.  i wonder if they are near each other?

I’m not familiar with the park hotel…

Nancy

22 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

nancy, the avenida palace looks very nice.  is it in a good central location to most things because i have heard lisbon is a good walking city too.

Avenida Palace is the creme de la creme and the best breakfast buffet in all of Europe! Rooms are large and elegant. Love this place!

https://www.hotelavenidapalace.pt

Edited by suzeluvscruz

3 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

Suze

thank you for your recommendation. I have gone ahead and reserved a room there for a couple of nights when I’m in Lisbon and it does look like a wonderful location.

You'll love this lovely piece of classic beauty. Last time we were there they picked us up at the airport and our room was ready by 9AM! They have a nice bar with just the right amount of food for the jet lagged too.

I'm trying to post a few photos but I have to figure that out....stay tuned.