Veendam and Maasdam sold

trishbk

7 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I have the Veendam booked for a March 2021.  No email as yet.  I’m hoping it is switched to Zaandam or Volendam.  Assuming ships are sailing by then.

We were on Veendam July 2021 and got the email cancelling us.   Heartbroken as it was a unique itinerary and Veendam is our favorite ship.   We spent 90 days on Veendam and also have enjoyed Rotterdam and Maasdam.   Not sure when the effective date of the sale is or if any will be attempted before the sale.   We weren't switched, just dumped.  Hope you have better luck.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Precisely the way I feel about Rotterdam V.  My first cruise was aboard her. 

I get that.  Our third cruise was on the forner Rotterdam V, in her inaugural season with Premier as Rembrandt.  Scored a lovely suite upgrade at the pier -- which even had a separate 'trunk room' across the hall.  Our TA adroitly recommended the trip to see the ship itself -- and sail aboard the last of the liners. Somewhere I'm sure I've got the mandatory Ritz-Carlton room staircase photo?   Scott.

Edited by YXU AC*SE

23 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

This is really no surprise.  Orlando Ashford & the senior management team were on the 2019 world cruise, had a presentation & Q&A session with passengers.  The theater was completely full.  It was very clear that the small ships were not and could not be profitable at the HAL price point.  Ashford stated that they could not create a business plan for a new 1500 passenger ship and make it work.  This statement basically said that any new ships would be in the 2500 passenger and greater class.  The key to this is, they were trying to build the business plan around the HAL price point.

The implication was that they could not put new capital into these old ships and operate them at a profit.

The current crisis has made things worse.  These ships will certainly not be worth more when this is over than they are now.  We are wondering if the new president of HAL is tasked with rebranding the line or overseeing a merger with the Princess brand.  

I think a merger  or at least reciprocity is a good idea.   Carnival has been backward in reciprocity between lines.   After being dumped yesterday from a  long awaited unique cruise, we booked an Azamara cruise.  Pleased to see reciprocity with Celebrity.  We are accustomed to a sale here and there.  To see four at once  makes me concerned about the survival of the line.   That was a huge amount of bookings to trash all at once with no replacement of itinerary.   Now I read certain Grands are being moved.   Our itinerary was a one of a kind....never to sail again if there are no more small ships?  Looks like Zaadam will be busy with the Grands.

Edited by HokiePoq

23 hours ago, DFD1 said:

The Holland America which so many of us remember and love has been dying a slow death for several years. The sale of these ships is sort of the last nail in the coffin.

Small ship cruising in the future will be on the premium cruise lines or, perhaps on some of the cruise lines owned and home-ported in other countries which may still operate smaller ships.

The bean counters finally won.

I am afraid you are right.  We sail for itinerary and now the only way to find something unique is to go with an upscale line.    We did the Alaska, Caribbean, Med cruises in our early cruising days.   Some may sail just to ride around on the ship but we want to see different places. The small ships did that.  So many good memories of the Veendam, Maasdam and Rotterdam cruises to great places.   More $$ for less cruises (if we can cruise again) seems to be what is coming.   

On 7/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, iflyrc5 said:

It is 4 ships - Also the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam.  This virus is killing everything!  On the Rotterdam in November 2019 the captain said at his "ask the captain"  that HAL was planning to keep the Rotterdam for another 10 years.

Four cruise ships have been sold. Over half a million people have died from “this virus” , as you refer to it. I really think you need to put this in perspective. Your vacation plans may need to change. Compare that to the grief so many people have suffered in the last four months due to unemployment, illness, and the death of loved ones due to COVID-19.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, iflyrc5 said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

I get that.  Our third cruise was on the forner Rotterdam V, in her inaugural season with Premier as Rembrandt.  Scored a lovely suite upgrade at the pier -- which even had a separate 'trunk room' across the hall.  Our TA adroitly recommended the trip to see the ship itself -- and sail aboard the last of the liners. Somewhere I'm sure I've got the mandatory Ritz-Carlton room staircase photo?   Scott.

Do you remember the mural at the forward end of the Ritz-Carlton where the staircase was?  When Rotterdam VI was built, a copy of that mural graced part of the forward wall of the upper deck of the ship's MDR.  That was a connection to the past of HAL that maybe--just maybe--some of the "youngsters" at HAL and CCL might recognize and incorporate into the decor of another HAL ship.    

It is my understanding Tampa is very tidal specific.  She has to sail when the tide is right to clear the bridge into the Gulf.  It's not the size of the ship but the height that is the problem.

I'm like HokiePoq.  Wanted cruises the larger ships don't visit.

9 minutes ago, rothbury said:

It is my understanding Tampa is very tidal specific.  She has to sail when the tide is right to clear the bridge into the Gulf.  It's not the size of the ship but the height that is the problem.

From what I know, you are correct.  Not just to time to sail, but also the time to arrive.  Discussions have been made in the past about building a Port before a ship gets to the Bridge.  Nothing has happened, obviously, and surely won't be forthcoming.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:10 PM, BJzink said:

I have Maasdam booked for Alaska 2021, was cancelled for Sept. 2020.  Will be interesting to see how they cover this.  I do not want to sail on one of the larger ships.  I know she was old, but I spent more days on her than any other, and enjoyed each one.  

We are booked for Alaska mid-summer 2021. I just found out about the sale of the ship. I certainly have questions of HAL about how this all gets sorted out. Should be interesting.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I never sailed on S.S. Nieuw Amsterdam, but had the opportunity to visit the ship prior to a trans-Atlantic sailing in July, 1971 from Pier 40 in New York City.  Two public rooms stand out in my memory:  the Jungle Bar (I remember it as being dark and cozy) and the First Class Dining Room with a high, fabric (?) covered ceiling with an orchestra balcony (?).  

She was a beautiful ship who served her Country well during WW II as well as how many thousands of guests who were fortunate enough to sail on er.  

Her First class dining room, looks like good times from a bygone era 

Nieuw_amsterdam6.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I started this topic less than 48hrs ago to let folks know our beloved Maasdam and Veendam were being sold. We were suppose to be on the Maasdam on March 15 when our cruise was cancelled due to Covid-19. This would have been my 3rd voyage with her and we were on the Veendam in December. I too am sad to see these ships and the Rotterdam and Amsterdam that we have also sailed on before. I just made 5star Mariner recently. Many thanks to all of you who have shared your memories on all of these 4 ships. We have been sailing on HAL since 1990 and have seen many changes. Holding my breath to see the next transformations to this brand. If you are missing your days of walking the teak decks, encourage you to check out some of the YouTube videos where your fellow passengers have walked the decks and you can visualize yourself doing the same with the smell of the ocean and the sea breeze blowing in your hair.

• Like 3

Tampa has three issues, the Sunshine Bridge height, the often-present fog and the tidal issue. There is also the matter of sailing for four hours through narrow channels which have been cut through an otherwise very shallow Tampa Bay.....extremely hazardous when there is a cross wind....to get to the downtown cruise terminal.

We  like Tampa for the obvious reason that it is an hour and fifteen minutes from our house, but we rarely get to sail from there because of our preference for Holland America....or what was our preference anyway.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:34 PM, trishbk said:

It was announced today that both these ships have been sold to an unnamed buyer. Both ships are in the Red Sea right now. I cannot believe that Holland and other cruise lines are continuing to sell cruises for ships that they have earmarked to sell either announced privately or behind corporate doors. And then if you cancel after full deposit is paid you only get a FCC. Just doesn’t seem right or ethical.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was booked on Maasdam in Sept. 2021 - just received email that 2 others are sold also - Rotterdam & Amsterdam.  I was on Rotterdam last fall & loved it.....so sad, I'll just have to wait to see which ships will sail Alaska next summer.

There are a few cruises to Alaska on Volendam in summer of 2021 - at least we have 2 of the R class left.

4 hours ago, BJzink said:

I was booked on Maasdam in Sept. 2021 - just received email that 2 others are sold also - Rotterdam & Amsterdam.  I was on Rotterdam last fall & loved it.....so sad, I'll just have to wait to see which ships will sail Alaska next summer.

There are a few cruises to Alaska on Volendam in summer of 2021 - at least we have 2 of the R class left.

For now.....

Edited by KirkNC

12 minutes ago, bcummin said:

I remember when ms Statendam was sold.  Captain Albert carefully inventoried the artwork.  And we final passengers got to bid on the port plaques.

This does not seem to be happening now.

Barbara

I'll bet they were sold "as is" 

57 minutes ago, bcummin said:

I remember when ms Statendam was sold.  Captain Albert carefully inventoried the artwork.  And we final passengers got to bid on the port plaques.

Barbara

Guaranteed the crew on all four sold ships are very busy, as we speak, during their transit to Cypress inventorying, removing, packaging and temp. storing HAL artwork which will be taken off the ships upon arrival there. Artwork particular to the "selling" cruise line is usually not included in the sale to the buyers 

• Like 2

The Fred Olsen website shows the new ships and mentions the new features.  Note the mention of Original Artwork.  Anyone who has cruised with FO know if they have artwork similar to HAL's onboard?                                                                                    The bolding below is mine!                                                                                                                                                                                  

Each ship has its own unique style and personality and will bring exciting new features for our guests to enjoy.

These include:

- More space throughout the ships
- Original artwork and premium décor
- An all-weather swimming pool with a retractable roof

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Guaranteed the crew on all four sold ships are very busy, as we speak, during their transit to Cypress inventorying, removing, packaging and temp. storing HAL artwork which will be taken off the ships upon arrival there. Artwork particular to the "selling" cruise line is usually not included in the sale to the buyers 

You never know where it might end up.... when the s.s. Nieuw Amsterdam went to the breakers in Kaoshiung , Taiwan some parts found her way back to the Netherlands 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcummin said:

Barbara

"And we final passengers got to bid on the port plaques."  OUCH!  I made a final bid 60 seconds before the close of the auction on the plaque that I wanted.  There had not been many bids and I thought "I have it"!  I didn't!😲  Someone made a higher bid in those last seconds after I walked away from the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

The Fred Olsen website shows the new ships and mentions the new features.  Note the mention of Original Artwork.  Anyone who has cruised with FO know if they have artwork similar to HAL's onboard?                                                                                    The bolding below is mine!                                                                                                                                                                                  

Each ship has its own unique style and personality and will bring exciting new features for our guests to enjoy.

These include:

- More space throughout the ships
- Original artwork and premium décor
- An all-weather swimming pool with a retractable roof

Pretty sure that description deals with original artwork that is part of the ship's decor such as chandeliers, carved out colonnades in the show lounges (Amsterdam), the Lido pool animal sculptures by Susanna Holt, etc., not displayed artwork such as Capt. Card's outstanding paintings in the fwd stairwell, the replica terracotta Xian warriors on Rotterdam, the large Dutch nautical-themed murals on the bulkheads opposite the Explorer Lounges on all four ships, busts of the former queens of the Netherlands (Juliana and Beatrix), ship models, to name a few

Be interesting to see what will happen to the Atrium center pieces on each of the four ships; the 17th century repro clock tower with Mr. Hercules on top holding the world on his back (Rotterdam), the Planeto Astrolabium with carillion (Amsterdam), Luciano Vistosi’s “Totem” made out of green glass modules from Murano (Maasdam) and his (same artist) "Jacob's Staircase" (Veendam)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Be interesting to see what will happen to the Atrium center pieces on each of the four ships; the 17th century repro clock tower with Mr. Hercules on top holding the world on his back (Rotterdam), the Planeto Astrolabium with carillion (Amsterdam), Luciano Vistosi’s “Totem” made out of green glass modules from Murano (Maasdam) and his (same artist) "Jacob's Staircase" (Veendam)

I have thought about that as well since the announcement has been made.  

My opinion at this time:  since the Maasdam's and the Veedam's Atrium art is Murano glass, that might be considered to be a more "elegant" centerpiece to build a refreshed interior decor around that those of Rotterdam and Amsterdam.