Anyone experience a tidal wave, rogue wave, storm or tsunami?

On 7/18/2020 at 12:59 PM, Merion_Mom said:

It was not the biggest wave documented by any means, but I was on the Explorer in November 2014 when it was hit by a rogue wave, pre-dawn.  Many CCers were on board with me and will probably chime in.

Going on the Explorer again next year. Just moved one booking for year to the Explorer for next year. Our last cruise on her was this one.🙂

On 7/18/2020 at 4:58 PM, Newleno said:

yeah i was on a little "ship",  no stablizers, nasty stuff crossing the drake

Same here.  Was on the Kapitan Khlebnikov.  No stabilizers as she’s an ice breaker.  Bobbed around like no other.  Watching the inclinometer in the library was my primary for of entertainment on that crossing of the Drake.

In terms of actual cruise ship, we were on the Celebrity Mercury on a round the horn cruise in South America Dec 2000.  We were in the channel that comes out of Buenos Aires, when a Huge storm came out of no where broadsided the ship.  Since we were in a channel we couldn’t turn into the wind.   The storm lasted about 1.5 hours and the ship kept tilting more and more.  I was a teenager at the time and found it fascinating and was on deck during this as the wind was incredible.  Deck chairs were getting sucked of the deck like a vacuum.  Some crew members saw me and some friends on deck, and ran out and grabbed us and pulled us in.  Water was coming up the side of the deck on deck 5 and the crew was coming up from below deck in an all out panic with their life jackets on.  

The crew was useless and it was mass chaos.  All the furniture on the ship was flung to one side including all the merchandise in the gift shops.  All the hummels and sharovski crystals were broke as well as anything breakable.  All the furniture in our cabin was against our door when we got back to our cabin.

During this our stabilizer broke and we continued the 2 week trip with the ship always in a tilt.  They lost a large number of plates and most of our food was served on whatever plate they may have had available.

If there was social media back then, this would have been massive as the ship was a wreck.  There were rumors onboard that the ships safety officer attempted to launch a lifeboat but I didn’t think anything of it.

Come to find out many years later, in 2010 on a different cruise I was just having small talk with a waiter on the Solstice.   When I told him about our experience he IMMEDIATELY knew what we were talking about and said it is used to this day in their safety training on what NOT to do in an emergency.  He said the ships safety officer was blackballed in the industry for wanting a life boat launched with only him on it and that it is a teaching case they use for safety.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

rimmit...quite a story of your own there. I'm so thankful that we had Drake Lake both times on the way to and from Antarctica. 

Jealous.  I have done it twice.  Once on the akademik vavilov and it had stabilizers and once on the kapitan khlebnikov.  The Vav was so much smoother but still not great.

The other passengers on the KK who had done several crossings said the crossings on the KK are the worst as due to it being an ice breaker with a flat bottom and no stabilizers it makes it miserable.  I never in my life thought I would rather be at work than on vacation but for the three days we were crossing, I definitely was banging the ceiling (I was in a top bunk) screaming “what was I thinking!!!”  But Antarctica is beautiful and sure enough it called me back, and I will continue to go back any time I have a chance.

16 hours ago, KelJ said:

Oh, my God, Carol!  You and Nancy on the Crown Princess is the first thing I thought of when I saw the title to this thread.  I remember being so worried about you gals! 

Sorry to go off topic, but, speaking of Nancy, are you in touch with her?  I haven't seen any posts from her in years and years.  I always enjoyed reading about all of their kids.

Actually, I haven't really heard from her since right after we all got home.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:55 PM, OnTheJourney said:

60 foot?!  That's wild. Hopefully the small ships you saw disappear also REappeared!  

Back in the day (early 80's) we used to jump from the flight deck during swim call. It wasn't allowed but someone said it was 60 ft from the flight deck to the water, so, assuming a wave breaches the flight deck, that's how we came up with it. Far as the ships disappearing, they all came back up again, usually the destroyers but they all had everything battoned down tight.

Back in the 90s, I was on the Viking Serenade out of Southern California.  We caught a surprise winter Pacific storm that caused everything to fall off the shelves in the shops.  Most of the liquor store bottles broke when they fell and liquor flowed under the door and down the hall.  I understood that a lot of grown men cried that night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Back in the 90s, I was on the Viking Serenade out of Southern California.  We caught a surprise winter Pacific storm that caused everything to fall off the shelves in the shops.  Most of the liquor store bottles broke when they fell and liquor flowed under the door and down the hall.  I understood that a lot of grown men cried that night.

There were still plastic straws in the 90s, so what was the problem??

• Like 1