Anyone experience a tidal wave, rogue wave, storm or tsunami?

Twas rough crossing the Gulf of Alaska eastwards on the ‘Carnival Spirit’ during the tail end of a typhoon. 60+ mph winds and 40 foot seas. As the ship went into the wave troughs, was ‘weightless’ when running on the treadmill. Did go down for breakfast though but the storm certainly emptied out the dining room.

Some kids told DH and I a story, so maybe you guys can confirm or destroy their tale.  This would have been in the late 90's They said Disney's first boat "the big red boat" was originally a ice breaker ship so it had a reinforced hull. One time they hit a huge storm and the Disney's boat lead a line of cruise ships thru the storm. They talked about how people were pucking everwere because it was rocking back and forth (teen age boys)  They thought it was so much fun because they would jump from floor to floor(maybe it was landing to landing)  thru the stairwell. We have had rough seas but never rough enough to jump thru the stairwell

53 minutes ago, Jenjer said:

Some kids told DH and I a story, so maybe you guys can confirm or destroy their tale.  This would have been in the late 90's They said Disney's first boat "the big red boat" was originally a ice breaker ship so it had a reinforced hull. One time they hit a huge storm and the Disney's boat lead a line of cruise ships thru the storm. They talked about how people were pucking everwere because it was rocking back and forth (teen age boys)  They thought it was so much fun because they would jump from floor to floor(maybe it was landing to landing)  thru the stairwell. We have had rough seas but never rough enough to jump thru the stairwell

Don't know about the rest of it, but the "Big Red Boat I" (SS Oceanic) was not an ice breaker.

Vision December 2018, the gulf had a huge storm.  It was bad enough RCCL diverted the ship and took the long way around. Even with that, all outside decks were closed, you could only use the pool deck to cross from one side to the other, but at the risk of heavy wind and rain.  Waves were high enough that they hit the window periodically at the Windjammer. People were  getting sick everywhere and barf bags were everywhere. After the first day of this, most passengers disappeared into their cabins. On day two only us die-hards were left, but the only area with any entertainment was the atrium area in front of the dinning room, which had become the only eating venue due to the rocking and rolling of the ship. Everything took place there so once you found a seat,you didn't leave it as the egg drop contest, music etc... All occurred one after the other. It was my uncle's first cruise and I laughed about how in over 25+ I had never experienced anything like it.  He was lucky! It was a sailing from New Orleans so once we hit the Mississippi River around 9pm, it calmed down and we were able to perform the Thriller dance to the people who were left. (Side note, participate if you dance and if not watch the Thriller dance on your ship, so much fun). Then, the last few hours were enjoyable. We still laugh about it today.  The Carnnival ,and I think it was an NCL ship too, did not detour like we did and ended up arriving hours behind us in New Orleans, or so I heard. I was happy to be on RCCL that trip.

Edited by bearette
Spelling
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Don't know about the rest of it, but the "Big Red Boat I" (SS Oceanic) was not an ice breaker.

Years ago "The Big Red Boat" sailed from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas.  We used to see it when we fished off the sea wall and later we cruised on her.  I don't remember who owned her.

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Years ago "The Big Red Boat" sailed from Port Canaveral to the Bahamas.  We used to see it when we fished off the sea wall and later we cruised on her.  I don't remember who owned her.

It was Premier Cruises operating it for Disney.

Well, hate to "blow my own horn", so-to-speak, but I think I may be at or near the top of the list here in that we were on the Viking Sky last March that sailed through a bomb cyclone in the Hustadvika area off the coast of Norway during the return portion of the Northern Lights trip. I assume most of you here are already familiar with this tale, but, if not, look it up. The events of March 23 are forever seared into my memory. Things started to seem a bit 'off' on Friday evening already, and then after lunch on Saturday is when it went off the charts. For a time, we were completely without engines and so at the mercy of the gale force winds and waves. Captain declared a mayday, followed by the evacuation of over 400 pax by helicopter  (including us) - scariest thing I've ever had to do in my life with only that belt strapped around my waist and hanging on to the cable waiting to be whisked 100 feet off the top deck of the ship to the CHC rescue chopper. Most frightening sight I've ever seen was watching my wife be taken from the deck of that ship up to the helicopter. I was in tears. When it was my turn, it just seemed unreal and I can still see the slack of the cable go taut and off I went! Once we got to the chopper,  the airmen just sort of pulled us in like a sack of potatoes and sent down for the next person. One or two at a time. Chopper held about 12 people. Freezing cold since I was sitting right next to the open hatchway. An airman gave me earplugs. It was mentioned along the way about broken bottles, etc. I can't speak for what others have gone through in that regard alone, however, I will never forget the sound of what must have been thousands of items crashing to the floor as people were literally sliding on chairs from one end of the Explorer lounge to the other. Once things started to come crashing through the ceiling, I knew it was time to head out of there. I found out later the grand piano actually unbolted from the floor and was basically destroyed. My wife had been watching a movie down in the theatre, so I managed to lurch my way down to her. Shortly after, code "echo" was called, and wow did the crew scurry immediately after that was announced. I later found out it meant that we were in grave danger of either hitting another ship or land. It was the latter. It was determined that we were only about a ship's length from crashing into the rocky coastline. Some naval professionals contend that, had the anchor not held, there could have been a thousand dead if the worst scenario had materialized. Far too dangerous to try and launch the lifeboats due to the sea and wind conditions. Once partial engine power was regained, the evacuation was called off - but still - I feel for the poor souls who had to be evacuated in pitch black. They were still arriving at the hotel the next morning as we were getting breakfast. The CHC helicopters hovered over the ship for 18 hours nonstop. Top-drawer pilots to be sure. We were among the earliest groups to go off and were flown to the emergency staging area (like a huge gymnasium). Had no time to get anything from our rooms - only had what we had with us when reporting to muster stations. The Norwegian rescue authorities, emergency personnel, police (had to register with them since we didn't even have our passports), hotel staff, everyone....treated us so well. The ship, with still about half the passengers aboard, with the assistance of tugboats, was able to make it into a nearby port. While waiting at our muster stations, people were making the sort of phone calls to families that you see in typical disaster movies. At one point we heard screaming as water broke through one of the big windows or doors - not sure anymore - and people were thrown all around in the water (not our muster area thankfully). Those who stayed on the ship had to keep their life vests on for over 24 hours or close to. At the muster station, we called my brother and then my daughter - who knew FAR more than we did. We had no idea what was going to happen or truly how much danger we were really in. She, however, said that we were already worldwide news. There were several injuries (we had a person in a stretcher with us on the chopper) and at least one hospitalized with serious injuries. The pictures taken around the ship afterwards looked like a disaster area. Even weeks afterwards I'd just wind up stopping in my tracks some days and just would be brought to tears remembering it all. 

And yet...ya know what?  If by doing it all over again would in some miraculous way negate the COVID situation - I'd turn back the clock and do it all again in a heartbeat (assuming that the outcome would be as good as it was last March!). 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

My apologies for the length of my contribution to this thread!!  It's just that when I get thinking about this experience, I can pretty much relive it in every detail.  Guess the craziest part of the whole thing was during Saturday lunch when the ship's guitarist was playing "My Heart Will Go On"   LOL  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 4

On 7/18/2020 at 5:23 PM, chengkp75 said:

As for the Poseidon Adventure, the entire movie concept is false, and the major premise that the "weakest" point on the ship is "where the propeller shaft goes out" is just the opposite, it is the strongest part of the ship.

That's Hollywood for you!  

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 7/18/2020 at 8:16 PM, Airbear232 said:

We were on the Explorer cruise out of Bayonne 5 March, 2013 to the Caribbean for an extended family cruise.  We go caught in a Nor’easter for 2 days on way down.  Majority of people on the ship got sick.  Waves would regularly go over bow.  Luckily it didn’t bother me.  As a bonus, on the trip back up we did have a rogue wave that took out one of the windows in the MDR late at night. 

I remember reading about this. I, too, as bad as things were on the Sky, did not get sick. I think raw adrenaline took over and I was so engrossed in the moment-to-moment and wondering what was going to happen next, that I probably had no time to think about how I was feeling. I wear wristbands while on any cruise, and so would have had them on that day. 

On 7/18/2020 at 12:35 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Not sure a modern ship today would have the fate of the Poseidon Adventure. Here's a short clip of when it capsized in the movie. (Some 70s nostalgia) This of course is a movie and unrealistic but was wondering what the biggest wave to hit a ship has been.  The QE2 in 1995 caught a 95 ft wave and survived -- not sure if bigger waves have been documented.  The Anthem was caught in a bad storm a few years ago.  Was anyone on it and what did you experience? 

Loved the design of the Poseidon in the re-make. But the original is surely a classic - Shelley Winters, Ernest Borgnine, etc. Funniest line ever in the newer version was Kurt Russell saying, "I used to be a fireman"  LOL   "There's got to be a morning afterrrrrr...." 

On 7/18/2020 at 12:35 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Edited by OnTheJourney

15 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Well, hate to "blow my own horn", so-to-speak, but I think I may be at or near the top of the list here in that we were on the Viking Sky last March that sailed through a bomb cyclone in the Hustadvika area off the coast of Norway during the return portion of the Northern Lights trip. I assume most of you here are already familiar with this tale, but, if not, look it up. The events of March 23 are forever seared into my memory. Things started to seem a bit 'off' on Friday evening already, and then after lunch on Saturday is when it went off the charts. For a time, we were completely without engines and so at the mercy of the gale force winds and waves. Captain declared a mayday, followed by the evacuation of over 400 pax by helicopter  (including us) - scariest thing I've ever had to do in my life with only that belt strapped around my waist and hanging on to the cable waiting to be whisked 100 feet off the top deck of the ship to the CHC rescue chopper. Most frightening sight I've ever seen was watching my wife be taken from the deck of that ship up to the helicopter. I was in tears. When it was my turn, it just seemed unreal and I can still see the slack of the cable go taut and off I went! Once we got to the chopper,  the airmen just sort of pulled us in like a sack of potatoes and sent down for the next person. One or two at a time. Chopper held about 12 people. Freezing cold since I was sitting right next to the open hatchway. An airman gave me earplugs. It was mentioned along the way about broken bottles, etc. I can't speak for what others have gone through in that regard alone, however, I will never forget the sound of what must have been thousands of items crashing to the floor as people were literally sliding on chairs from one end of the Explorer lounge to the other. Once things started to come crashing through the ceiling, I knew it was time to head out of there. I found out later the grand piano actually unbolted from the floor and was basically destroyed. My wife had been watching a movie down in the theatre, so I managed to lurch my way down to her. Shortly after, code "echo" was called, and wow did the crew scurry immediately after that was announced. I later found out it meant that we were in grave danger of either hitting another ship or land. It was the latter. It was determined that we were only about a ship's length from crashing into the rocky coastline. Some naval professionals contend that, had the anchor not held, there could have been a thousand dead if the worst scenario had materialized. Far too dangerous to try and launch the lifeboats due to the sea and wind conditions. Once partial engine power was regained, the evacuation was called off - but still - I feel for the poor souls who had to be evacuated in pitch black. They were still arriving at the hotel the next morning as we were getting breakfast. The CHC helicopters hovered over the ship for 18 hours nonstop. Top-drawer pilots to be sure. We were among the earliest groups to go off and were flown to the emergency staging area (like a huge gymnasium). Had no time to get anything from our rooms - only had what we had with us when reporting to muster stations. The Norwegian rescue authorities, emergency personnel, police (had to register with them since we didn't even have our passports), hotel staff, everyone....treated us so well. The ship, with still about half the passengers aboard, with the assistance of tugboats, was able to make it into a nearby port. While waiting at our muster stations, people were making the sort of phone calls to families that you see in typical disaster movies. At one point we heard screaming as water broke through one of the big windows or doors - not sure anymore - and people were thrown all around in the water (not our muster area thankfully). Those who stayed on the ship had to keep their life vests on for over 24 hours or close to. At the muster station, we called my brother and then my daughter - who knew FAR more than we did. We had no idea what was going to happen or truly how much danger we were really in. She, however, said that we were already worldwide news. There were several injuries (we had a person in a stretcher with us on the chopper) and at least one hospitalized with serious injuries. The pictures taken around the ship afterwards looked like a disaster area. Even weeks afterwards I'd just wind up stopping in my tracks some days and just would be brought to tears remembering it all. 

And yet...ya know what?  If by doing it all over again would in some miraculous way negate the COVID situation - I'd turn back the clock and do it all again in a heartbeat (assuming that the outcome would be as good as it was last March!). 

You Win!!, by the way was this event Captain error?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

was this event Captain error?

Hmmmm..this is a rather contentious and complicated question. I have my own thoughts on it, but there are differing opinions.

I will say this - other than being told either on Friday or earlier on Saturday by a captain's announcement that we will be trying to stay inland as much as possible due to a weather situation - which we also were never really warned much about in advance despite it being said that the Sky knew about the storm days in advance - but might have to sail further off the coast at times- the next thing we heard was the code "echo" followed by a mayday. As the ship started to lose power, I expected this would be announced. Other passengers I've communicated with remember it the same way - that we did not seem to be kept informed of what we were going to be sailing into until the situation was upon us. Once in that situation, it is generally felt that the captain and crew were exemplary in how the crisis was dealt with.

A larger and far more debatable issue is what could have been done to possibly circumvent and/or prevent things from winding up as bad as they did. The cascading engine failure - and hence being at the mercy of the weather - was basically due to low oil levels in the tanks with the sensors then initiating an auto-shutdown sequence. Those here with greater mechanical knowledge could elaborate.  If you're really interested, the (long) thread I posted a link to - and there are others as well - goes into much detail and conjecture as to why things happened the way they did.

All I know, from the perspective of having been there, is that we had no idea what was going on or what was going to happen other than that the original plan was to evacuate the entire ship by helicopter. Those who remained on board had a considerably different experience than what we had. For my part, I do not recall at any point being told that we were going to be sailing into a potentially dangerous storm, let alone what options might be available to deal with it. We lost two ports on the return journey and, of course, never made it to the debarkation port in Tilbury. 

A thorough investigation was done, and at least one report was issued but I'm not sure that a finalized report has yet been written. As said, it was a very complicated issue involving many different factors. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hmmmm..this is a rather contentious and complicated question. I have my own thoughts on it, but there are differing opinions.

I will say this - other than being told either on Friday or earlier on Saturday by a captain's announcement that we will be trying to stay inland as much as possible due to a weather situation - which we also were never really warned much about in advance despite it being said that the Sky knew about the storm days in advance - but might have to sail further off the coast at times- the next thing we heard was the code "echo" followed by a mayday. As the ship started to lose power, I expected this would be announced. Other passengers I've communicated with remember it the same way - that we did not seem to be kept informed of what we were going to be sailing into until the situation was upon us. Once in that situation, it is generally felt that the captain and crew were exemplary in how the crisis was dealt with.

A larger and far more debatable issue is what could have been done to possibly circumvent and/or prevent things from winding up as bad as they did. The cascading engine failure - and hence being at the mercy of the weather - was basically due to low oil levels in the tanks with the sensors then initiating an auto-shutdown sequence. Those here with greater mechanical knowledge could elaborate.  If you're really interested, the (long) thread I posted a link to - and there are others as well - goes into much detail and conjecture as to why things happened the way they did.

All I know, from the perspective of having been there, is that we had no idea what was going on or what was going to happen other than that the original plan was to evacuate the entire ship by helicopter. Those who remained on board had a considerably different experience than what we had. For my part, I do not recall at any point being told that we were going to be sailing into a potentially dangerous storm, let alone what options might be available to deal with it. We lost two ports on the return journey and, of course, never made it to the debarkation port in Tilbury. 

A thorough investigation was done, and at least one report was issued but I'm not sure that a finalized report has yet been written. As said, it was a very complicated issue involving many different factors. 

Hopefully you have no lingering ptsd from this.

Seem to recall reading on the Viking board that oil level wasn't actually low.  Violent rocking of ship caused oil in tank to shift tricking sensor into believing oil was low and triggering system shutdown.  That turned a rough sea problem into near disaster.

Other "survivors" were very complimentary of crews efforts throughout and concern displayed by Viking owner Tor Hagen who flew down to check on them.  How do you now feel about VO, and would you sail with them again?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Hopefully you have no lingering ptsd from this.

Seem to recall reading on the Viking board that oil level wasn't actually low.  Violent rocking of ship caused oil in tank to shift tricking sensor into believing oil was low and triggering system shutdown.  That turned a rough sea problem into near disaster.

Other "survivors" were very complimentary of crews efforts throughout and concern displayed by Viking owner Tor Hagen who flew down to check on them.  How do you now feel about VO, and would you sail with them again?

Based on the interim report of last November, the Sky was only carrying 28 to 40% of oil - far less than the 68 to 70% recommended by the engine manufacturer. So, while technically within "set limits", the engines shut down as a result of the loss of lubrication due to low sump tank levels, combined with the pitching and rolling. It was reported later that we were already sailing without one of the engines working. 

I personally have no lingering ptsd although a few weather-related incidents that occurred during a cruise we did back in December (first since the incident) brought a lot of it back. That cruise was sort of a 'test' to see how we'd do being back onboard a ship. We are looking forward to sailing with Viking again (if the cruise actually goes) in January. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

Hello all and to our buddy, On The Journey, or OTJ as we call him on the Viking Sky disaster forum.

Janet and I were on the Viking Sky when it hit the bomb cyclone - or rather, the cyclone hit us on March 23, 2019.

We were in our cabin when the mayday was called. The ship seemed to have tilted over 45 degrees and I was thrown out of the bed on on to the floor. The walk down to our station was nearly impossible as the ship was tilting very violently. After we arrived at our muster station in the main dining room the ship rocked backward (to us), toward starboard I believe - correct me anytime OTJ - water poured in through a broken window on the other side of an interior wall that was just behind where we were sitting. The wave that came in was 4-5 feet deep and of course came in with tremendous intensity. Fortunately the thin interior wall was enough to break the force of the wave and we, on the other side of the wall, had about 2 feet of water to deal with. One lady who was on the wave side of the ship was swept  under water and pinned under some furniture. She was found and rescued  by other passengers including her husband. We were then evacuated from that muster station and moved to the atrium where we were to stay on the wet carpeted floor in our life jackets for more than 24 hours until we were towed to Molde. We were among approximately half the passengers who who were not air lifted off of the Sky. When we reached the port of Molde half of the city turned out to welcome us and many were waving signs and home made banners welcoming us and assuring us that we were safe now. The crew did their best to clean the cabins and when we were allowed back to our cabin we saw that several pieces of furniture were completely broken as was the closet door. The staff picked up what clothing they could from off of the floor and placed it on the bed. A room service supper was prepared and if I recall it consisted if a cut up frankfurter, a few french fries, some lettuce and maybe a couple of cookies for desert. We got in touch with our TA who was up most of the night tracking our situation and learning when we were to disembark the ship and what travel arrangements Viking had made for our return back to California.

We are so grateful to the crew and staff of the Viking Sky for taking care of us. They were so encouraging and calming. We could see once in a while during their private moments how scared they were as well. They were and are our heroes.

The owner and CEO of Viking, Torstein Hagen, flew to Molde to meet with the passengers and at a communal gathering that evening he announced that Viking was going to provide a free cruise to all passengers as well as an all expense paid cruise on the initial voyage of the Viking Venus from Rome to Barcelona in January 2021. With Covid 19 happening now we don't know the status of the initial voyage nor if we want to subject ourselves to the dangers of the disease. So we will just have to wait and see.

We returned to Norway in September last year and traveled by land and, yes, by sea. We took a Hurtigruten ferry for three days around the fjords and a bit out to the sea where our Viking experience took place. We walked a few miles from where the Sky nearly crashed into the rocks and where a small freighter that tried to come to our rescue did crash and 14 sailors had to be air lifted from the ocean to safety - all survived. We saw the world from a different perspective and we have learned to hug our lives and to hug all those lives who mean so much to us.

• Like 8

On 7/21/2020 at 8:43 PM, OnTheJourney said:

My apologies for the length of my contribution to this thread!!  It's just that when I get thinking about this experience, I can pretty much relive it in every detail.  Guess the craziest part of the whole thing was during Saturday lunch when the ship's guitarist was playing "My Heart Will Go On"   LOL  

No apologies needed.   Thank you for sharing.  So sorry you had to go through that.  I cannot imagine going thru that and hope I never will.

My question is. Has this changed your outlook on cruising?  One more question.  Were you able to retrieve your belongings once ship docked?

Sunshine - to answer your questions:  I look forward to cruising as much as before the incident. We were a bit apprehensive of the December '19 cruise (not with Viking) but, similar to needing to get back behind the wheel of a car following an accident, we felt we needed to not cancel that cruise but rather go on with it. I can't say it went perfectly smoothly due to two storm systems that we encountered (NOT what we were hoping for less than a year after the Sky incident), but the captain was fantastic in re-routing the itinerary and presenting detailed charts and graphs showing the difference between what we would have sailed into and what actually happened by altering course. I don't mean to gainsay Viking in any manner by saying this, but we both felt that - on the December cruise - the level of attention paid to forewarning the passengers about the impending storm systems, what could possibly be done about it to minimize danger to the ship or passengers, what ultimately WAS done about it, etc., was just so impressive and comforting compared to nearly the exact opposite on the Sky - where, as mentioned, we seemed to have very little warning or notification ahead of time that there was this monstrous storm system that we intended to push through with seemingly no other options. The captain on our December sailing was amazing in that he held  two presentations in the theatre and used the movie screen to present all the information as mentioned above. It then turned into a question / answer forum that lasted 2 hours. He would have taken even more questions but there was another event scheduled for the stage and so had to end. 

Your other question as to retrieving luggage and other belongings. Yes. Once the ship was docked, we were taken to Molde and could board to pack up. That in itself was a crazy story. The hotel staff woke us up in the middle of the night and said that if we could be in the lobby by like 3:00, we could be taken to the ship to pack, then catch a flight to Oslo. It didn't work out. We busted our butts packing up the room (everything was exactly as we left it on the afternoon of the 23rd so nothing was packed) but by the time we were all done there was no way we would have made the flight. As it turned out, we would have had ample time during the day to pack at our leisure. The flight rebooking, on the part of Viking, was a tremendous challenge. My recollection of it was that many people were getting frustrated with all of it, including us, so I finally took our phone, went to a quiet spot on the ship, and booked my own return flights. We heard that Viking had to work everything through the office in CA (couldn't they have sent someone to Norway perhaps?) so it was a slow and confusing process. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Hello all and to our buddy, On The Journey, or OTJ as we call him on the Viking Sky disaster forum.

Hey JD...good to hear from you and thanks for joining the thread! Wow...does this ever all come back to us or what?   I'm once again, although of course familiar with the events of the window breaking, amazed at the retelling of it. That was a truly dramatic and undoubtedly terrifying aspect of the journey from the perspective of those in that muster area. We heard some screaming, etc. but were not in a position to see what was taking place. We went from the muster station (in the MDR) right to the stairs and then waited hours - slowly making our way up to the top deck. Your recollection of the violent ship movement is certainly accurate. I do seem to recall the sudden shift to one side the that you describe though it didn't have as much impact on us not having been anywhere close to where the water came in. 

I must admit to envying your having gone back there a few months later. I'm sure it was a rather emotional journey in its own way, and yet how cool to see the area under far more calm circumstances. I saved a few pictures that you had shared from that trip. 

As you mention, who knows where we're going with all this?  We, also, share your feelings about whether or not we'll simply be ready to assume the risks even if the trip goes as planned, but of course we've been through all this on the other thread. With cruising continuing to get pushed back farther, I give it about a 50/50 chance. Biggest thing working against ALL of us is the increasing numbers here in the US. 

Take care and stay safe...and HOPE to see you in January. 😇

• Thanks 1

This wasn’t really a rogue wave or storm, just some pretty big waves at the time.

We were on the Celebrity Galaxy doing a transatlantic cruise from Europe to the US. For the first we went the north. We didn’t realise it was different from the southern route when we booked it.

A few days out the sea got a bit choppy. We had an outside cabin on deck 2, and for a few days the waves would crash up past the window. It was amazing to watch, I’ve got some pretty good picture.

I remember taking my daughter up to the top deck, watching the bow crash down through the waves. What was fun to watch was the flying fish take flight on the bow wave, we stood there for hours watching this.

• Like 1

Several in US Navy. On a carrier, we went to GQ due to loss of aircraft on the flight deck. On a destroyer, she wouldn't right herself as quickly as we thought and we were literally walking on bulkheads. I've witnessed over 60 foot waves lash over on to flight decks and seen small ships disappear under the waves entirely.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 2:09 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Then there was the "famous" List Cruise on the Crown Princess.  I "live-blogged" it, back in 2006, but alas, no pictures.

It was not a natural disaster, but a manmade one.  The Coast Guard report afterwards said that the ship listed over 24 degrees.  A full account is on wikipedia, and it is pretty accurate.

Oh, here is a link to the official report:  https://ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAR0801.pdf

And here is my CC thread:  darn.  I can't find it.  And my bookmark is gone.  If anyone else has it, please post it.

Oh, my God, Carol!  You and Nancy on the Crown Princess is the first thing I thought of when I saw the title to this thread.  I remember being so worried about you gals! 

Sorry to go off topic, but, speaking of Nancy, are you in touch with her?  I haven't seen any posts from her in years and years.  I always enjoyed reading about all of their kids.

Interesting report!  Here's the one from ours:  https://maritimecyprus.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/viking-sky-interim-report.pdf

Slide #5 (right after page 4) is particularly amazing to see how close we were to the rocky coastline.  I would love to have seen some crew / captain dialogue transcript such as shows up in the ntsb report. I've read a good many of these out of curiosity and sometimes there are pages of transcript. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

6 hours ago, johnjen said:

Several in US Navy. On a carrier, we went to GQ due to loss of aircraft on the flight deck. On a destroyer, she wouldn't right herself as quickly as we thought and we were literally walking on bulkheads. I've witnessed over 60 foot waves lash over on to flight decks and seen small ships disappear under the waves entirely.

60 foot?!  That's wild. Hopefully the small ships you saw disappear also REappeared!  

Edited by OnTheJourney