Tripped up by Del Rio

beachseasand

We were on the Jewel for June 8th Alaska, Cruise Cancelled. Deal offered, 125% FCC and 20% off. Sounds good. Booked Jewel Alaska June 2022 using FCC. Next day Del Rio says NCL may go out of Business. We cancel and ask for refund. Customer service says okay, wait 90 days, (due Aug 7th). Friday; Notice our account shows 125% FCC. Call customer service, told don't worry. Friend in same boat, (no pun), called to make sure all was good for them too. Told, NOPE! you now only get FCC because you chose to use the FCC you only get back FCC. We call again and hear the same bad news. Email RDteam and get same story.

Anyone else get tripped up the same way and get their cash back? Alaska cruises are not cheap and we could use the money right about now. To say nothing about wondering if we will ever break free of the clutches of the CDC. Help.

3 minutes ago, beachseasand said:

We were on the Jewel for June 8th Alaska, Cruise Cancelled. Deal offered, 125% FCC and 20% off. Sounds good. Booked Jewel Alaska June 2022 using FCC. Next day Del Rio says NCL may go out of Business. We cancel and ask for refund. Customer service says okay, wait 90 days, (due Aug 7th). Friday; Notice our account shows 125% FCC. Call customer service, told don't worry. Friend in same boat, (no pun), called to make sure all was good for them too. Told, NOPE! you now only get FCC because you chose to use the FCC you only get back FCC. We call again and hear the same bad news. Email RDteam and get same story.

Anyone else get tripped up the same way and get their cash back? Alaska cruises are not cheap and we could use the money right about now. To say nothing about wondering if we will ever break free of the clutches of the CDC. Help.

Your best bet is a credit card chargeback.  Make sure to be clear and concise that they cancelled your cruise and are refusing to refund your money.  Most people are winning these.  There will be NCL cheerleaders who come on this thread after me and tell you you're out of luck, to bad so sad, you should have read the T&C's, etc.  Ignore them, they're either paid shills or idiots.  Be persistent with your credit card chargeback and appeal if necessary if you lose.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Your best bet is a credit card chargeback.  Make sure to be clear and concise that they cancelled your cruise and are refusing to refund your money.  Most people are winning these.  There will be NCL cheerleaders who come on this thread after me and tell you you're out of luck, to bad so sad, you should have read the T&C's, etc.  Ignore them, they're either paid shills or idiots.  Be persistent with your credit card chargeback and appeal if necessary if you lose.

Best advice. Don't even waste any more time with NCL. Move it to the credit card company without delay.  If you want a refund, you'll need to get outside of the internal corruption at NCL.

• Like 4

First - the customer service people will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.  Are they told to do this by leadership?  I can't say that with any certainty, but this isn't the only company or industry where this happens.  Shoot - I filed a warranty claim for a failed home internet router back in MARCH and I'm STILL waiting for a call or email that they have the model in stock to do an advance replacement (I've since just replaced the unit).

Now..  You accepted the terms of the FCC from the initial cancellation, and the 25% boost for accepting that.  You then used that boosted value FCC to book a cruise which YOU then chose to cancel.  When you cancel, the refund is to the original form of payment, FCC in this case.  Check other lines, they're probably doing the same thing.  Is it right?  Possibly not, but it what the cruise contract allows them to do.

It seems from other posts that NCL HAS been fighting the chargebacks, unless you try legal action in court I have a feeling you may not get your way.

Look at my cruise history - I am in NO WAY a shill or idiot, I'm just trying to bring a sense of logic to the situation, not a viewpoint based on emotion.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

First - the customer service people will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.  Are they told to do this by leadership?  I can't say that with any certainty, but this isn't the only company or industry where this happens.  Shoot - I filed a warranty claim for a failed home internet router back in MARCH and I'm STILL waiting for a call or email that they have the model in stock to do an advance replacement (I've since just replaced the unit).

Now..  You accepted the terms of the FCC from the initial cancellation, and the 25% boost for accepting that.  You then used that boosted value FCC to book a cruise which YOU then chose to cancel.  When you cancel, the refund is to the original form of payment, FCC in this case.  Check other lines, they're probably doing the same thing.  Is it right?  Possibly not, but it what the cruise contract allows them to do.

It seems from other posts that NCL HAS been fighting the chargebacks, unless you try legal action in court I have a feeling you may not get your way.

Look at my cruise history - I am in NO WAY a shill or idiot, I'm just trying to bring a sense of logic to the situation, not a viewpoint based on emotion.

Ignore this.  There is literally no downside to you filing a chargeback.  The worst thing that happens is you lose and then you are no worse off than you were before you tried the chargeback.  NCL may be trying to “fight the chargebacks’ whatever that means, but your chargeback is in good faith, NCL is clearly not acting in good faith, and you have a better than not chance of winning.  

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, beachseasand said:

Next day Del Rio says NCL may go out of Business.

what is the source of this? this been an on going rumor for about 4 months. you might hear some things about them going on, that is normal in a business

1 hour ago, beachseasand said:

Notice our account shows 125% FCC. Call customer service, told don't worry. Friend in same boat, (no pun), called to make sure all was good for them too. Told, NOPE! you now only get FCC because you chose to use the FCC you only get back FCC. We call again and hear the same bad news.

this is normal. you always see the FCC in your account first. a week or so later there is an form you need to fill out by a certain date if you want a cash refund. if you failed to submit the form then you may not get the cash refund

This has been addressed over and over and it is in the frequently asked questions and terms and conditions on the website. Once you accept FCC you can no longer get a cash refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

b6c915ae3539f8a19474b3c4d3756fef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, beachseasand said:

Tripped up???? You accepted the FCC as your form of refund. And with your second cancellation, you got your FCC refund. 

Terms and Conditions 

The original FCC amount will be returned to the guests' profile. If an affected booking has a previously applied FCC (as a result of a previous suspended sailing), the enhanced value future cruise credit will not be applicable. Bookings under this circumstance are not eligible for a cash refund and will receive the original value of the FCC back to the guests’ profile.

Note FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. If a guest opts to retain the FCC provided, the guest hereby agrees to all of NCL’s terms and conditions associated with the FCC, which can also be found on www.ncl.com/cruise-faq. Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Go to your credit card company, submit all the documentation, explaining how you feel doped, any unreasonable contract is not a valid contact in the court of law, credit cards know this, and so do NCL, the future of cruises is not sold on what you believe cruises were previously is a good reason.

Who would gamble thousands of dollars in a company, that may never cruise again in the manner you remember, and could file bankruptcy taking you dollars with it, always take the cash, you control the cash.

I have 2 cruise credits left, I doubt the way NCL have acted I will ever use them, their performance during covid 19 to staff and customers has been appalling.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, beachseasand said:

We were on the Jewel for June 8th Alaska, Cruise Cancelled. Deal offered, 125% FCC and 20% off. Sounds good. Booked Jewel Alaska June 2022 using FCC. Next day Del Rio says NCL may go out of Business. We cancel and ask for refund. 

....Notice our account shows 125% FCC....now only get FCC because chose to use the FCC only get back FCC....

Anyone else get tripped up the same way and get their cash back?

You were not tripped up, but it sounds like you are trying to trip NCL up....you won't succeed, your case has no merit either contractually or in terms of consumer protection. NCL have honoured the contract you entered into....do remember, it was YOU who cancelled the cruise two years out and NCL have returned in full to your method of payment i.e. FCC!!

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

If the chargeback would fail, move it to your local consumer protection agency or attorney general. Cite the reasons listed above.

And fail thrice over!

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. I figured that we had had crossed a line when we booked the second cruise, but I was hoping that it was not the case. Thanks for the great advice and information. We realize that this topic has more than likely been covered before, but this was the quickest way for us to cut to the chase. Best wishes to all, see on deck soon, I hope.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, beachseasand said:

You took the FCC, and used it and then canceled. You made your choice when  you decided to take FCC to begin with. All you cna get back is what you gave them which is FCC.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, shof515 said:

if you failed to submit the form then you may not get the cash refund

BS.  The cruise-line doesn’t get to ex-post facto change the terms of the contract to put in an arbitrary date to request a refund that if missed causes you to forfeit the refund you’re entitled to because the cruise was cancelled.  Again OP, ignore the NCL shills.  They either have a financial interest in keeping the cruise line afloat or they are dumb.  Do the chargeback. 

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

You were not tripped up, but it sounds like you are trying to trip NCL up....you won't succeed, your case has no merit either contractually or in terms of consumer protection. NCL have honoured the contract you entered into....do remember, it was YOU who cancelled the cruise two years out and NCL have returned in full to your method of payment i.e. FCC!!

.Predictable shills are predictable. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

Wow, this is terrible advice. Demonstrates a  total lack of understanding of contract law. Ugh! But hey, at least the forum gas two diverse view points on how to proceed. Diversity is good. Each consumer can decide in their course of action.

What NCL did was dangle that carrot (125% FCC) and many pax bit on it. Sure they (NCL) wanted to keep your money rather than refund.

Once you used the FCC to book that was your form of payment.

Is it right , probably not, but it falls within what NCL can do.  Funny thing is people are still giving money to cruise lines , which makes no sense in this uncertain time.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

What NCL did was dangle that carrot (125% FCC) and many pax bit on it. Sure they (NCL) wanted to keep your money rather than refund.

Once you used the FCC to book that was your form of payment.

Is it right , probably not, but it falls within what NCL can do.  Funny thing is people are still giving money to cruise lines , which makes no sense in this uncertain time.

So true, nobody knows what the future holds, this time last year NCL stock price was healthy, its peanuts now, could be bankrupt next year? Covid-19 may never be eliminated completely.

keep your money for a rainy day, not Del-Rios Pay day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

BS.  The cruise-line doesn’t get to ex-post facto change the terms of the contract to put in an arbitrary date to request a refund that if missed causes you to forfeit the refund you’re entitled to because the cruise was cancelled.

From what I'm seeing, the OP willingly accepted the 125% FCC instead of the 100% cash refund. I understand that some people did not know that there was a "cash refund request" time and are stuck with FCC (I believe that NCL is wrong in those cases) but this looks like a case of....

OP had a choice and took the FCC.

OP then used that FCC for another cruise sailing in 2022.

OP cancelled their 2022 cruise on their own and NCL refunded the FCC that was used to book.

It seems to me that the OP regrets taking the FCC from the first cruise and wants to go back and change their decision. 

Imagine the following scenario...

I go to the store and buy a can of tuna for $1 in cash. There is a national recall for that tuna. I return the tuna to the store and the store offers either $1 cash or $1.25 in store credit. I take the store credit and use it to buy a Pepsi for $1.25. I change my mind and decide to return the Pepsi. Should the store give me $1 in cash or $1.25 in store credit?

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2