Another COVID19 Outbreak Today - Paul Gauguin

Syracuse44

This was all preventable.  Cruising puts people into close contact for days and then takes them to different locales.  The crew is packed into tight spaces.  These cruise lines should know better.  Unfortunately, a few line jumpers have really done some harm. 

Would be interested in how this one case slipped through.   To get to FP, everyone needs to take a test and have it come back negative.  Was it a false negative test?  The tests are not absolute.  So, as a result, a person may have tested negative, but actually be positive.  Was hoping that with all of the other enhanced cleaning onboard, if this situation occurred, that it would be isolated.   That may very well be the case here.  Lets see if there are other cases....

Furthermore, a second test 4 days after arrival is required.   I assume it was this test that identified the positive case.  The ship is now back in port and we should hear soon if there are other cases.  

I know the cruiselines are in a very difficult situation.  They are bleeding cash and most can not last past the end of 2021 at the latest.  Even when the vaccine is available, it will not be 100% effective.  The experts are hoping for 90%, which means that a person could catch the virus, even after the vaccine.  If there is a high %age of the people take the vaccine, that will help the herd immunity and reduce/eliminate the chance of getting the virus.

The next 6 months will be challenging.  Lets all hope the is a good vaccine with a high efficacy  that can be deployed to millions of people.  Until then, we must follow the recommendations of the health experts.

2 hours ago, tert333 said:

Would be interested in how this one case slipped through.   To get to FP, everyone needs to take a test and have it come back negative.  Was it a false negative test?  The tests are not absolute.  So, as a result, a person may have tested negative, but actually be positive.  Was hoping that with all of the other enhanced cleaning onboard, if this situation occurred, that it would be isolated.   That may very well be the case here.  Lets see if there are other cases....

Furthermore, a second test 4 days after arrival is required.   I assume it was this test that identified the positive case.  The ship is now back in port and we should hear soon if there are other cases.  

I know the cruiselines are in a very difficult situation.  They are bleeding cash and most can not last past the end of 2021 at the latest.  Even when the vaccine is available, it will not be 100% effective.  The experts are hoping for 90%, which means that a person could catch the virus, even after the vaccine.  If there is a high %age of the people take the vaccine, that will help the herd immunity and reduce/eliminate the chance of getting the virus.

The next 6 months will be challenging.  Lets all hope the is a good vaccine with a high efficacy  that can be deployed to millions of people.  Until then, we must follow the recommendations of the health experts.

Not 90%.  The FDA says they would give emergency approval to a vaccine that showed a success rate of 50% that didn't have significant side effects.  

3 hours ago, tert333 said:

Would be interested in how this one case slipped through.   To get to FP, everyone needs to take a test and have it come back negative. 

The test results are for a specific point in time.  One can test negative one day but positive the next (or a few days later).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tert333 said:

There seem to be more myths then truths about the various tests.  If one contracts COVID there is a period of time (generally measured in days) before they will test positive.  When folks travel to a cruise port the odds of them being exposed to COVID increase but there is no test that will reliably detect those recent exposures.  In addition, both false negatives and false positives are too darn common.   Other then isolating all the passengers/crew for a few days before a cruise and then conducting tests, there does not seem to be a good solution.  And even if everyone was truly negative at embarkation there is the risk that anyone who goes ashore at a port could contract the bug and infect others (this is what may have happened with the ill fated Diamond Princess).  

I have finally come to the sad conclusion that until there is a safe/effective COVID 19 vaccine (this might never happen) attempts to restart cruising are just going to be serious of COVID disasters.  We already see it with Ponent, Aida, Hurtigruten and TUI.

Hank

I am shocked that there are lines attempting to sail.  They should be ashamed.  I just heard on the news that the Caribbean, Central and South America have the highest ever new cases.  I found it very down-heartening to hear this.  Do I want to sail again?  Of course, we all do, but I have been out of work and barely out of my house for over 3 months, so why would I think it is safe to step on a ship where they can't contain norovirus, let alone this killer. Viruses (or virii, if you will) don't announce themselves. They sneak in, strike and leave.  You may think you're doing everything you can, and I'm sure the cruise lines are doing just that, but the odds are far too great, IMHO.  I just hope I get to sail again.  In the meantime, PLEASE wear a mask to protect me and I'll do the same for you, wash your hands like they taught us on the ships and safe distance.  Stay well.

Maureen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is certainly bad news for the entire cruise industry!  There are clearly too many people that will test negative for the virus although they are infected albeit, probably in the early and/or asymptomatic stage of the disease.  Then, they board planes and mingle with others.  Boom!  

the cruiseline is doing the right thing bumpy turning around.  Many people will not suffer from the deadly effects of this disease.  Hopefully, that’s the case for these cruisers, crew, etc.