Locations you'd love to visit on a cruise

Monorail Orange

Another one of those "just for fun" topics.

Are there any places in the world that you'd think would be great places to stop on a cruise - that you just can't. I'm thinking mainly landlocked cities and areas of the world.

One caveat, there are places you can go on river cruises, but we'll ignore those for this.

My first suggestions:

Vienna

It looks a beautiful city, with plenty of history and architechture. Plus it's home to the Sachertorte.

Interlaken, Switzerland

I have been there a couple of times, its a lovely idyllic part of the country. I can imagine the shore excursions would include trips to the Schilthorn's Piz Gloria (famed for being Blofeld's hideout in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service') and the highest train station in Europe up at the Jungfraujoch.

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Lucerne, one of my favourite cities in Europe.

That was going to be my suggestion. My husband went there for a school trip in the mid 60s and he’s always wanted to go back.

Our local coach company has a 9 day trip there next July. I’m interested, but everything is too uncertain to be booking so far ahead 

It's delightful - we used to stay for a few days, arriving by train en route to Venice. 

My other favourites are Venice (of course) and Nice, but those don't count on this thread as it's for places unreachable by ship (sorry, Monorail Orange).🤐

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

We once toured from Venice through the Dolomites to Lake Garda, I would love to do it again on a cruise.

Being a greedy person I would also go to the Blue Ridge Mountains on a cruise.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2

I'm loving the idea of Lake Como.

And the Blue Ridge Mountains is certainly one I'd not thought of. I'm thinking of mountain trek type trips... and for those of us not that energetic; there's Dollywood. 😂

Edited by Monorail Orange

I’d love to cruise the Great Lakes

It’s not such an off the wall idea, as there are some eye-wateringly expensive cruising options.  
The St Lawrence & Thousand Islands are beautiful; the lakes themselves are awesome

I think it’s a possible never get off the ship itinerary

7 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

I'm loving the idea of Lake Como.

And the Blue Ridge Mountains is certainly one I'd not thought of. I'm thinking of mountain trek type trips... and for those of us not that energetic; there's Dollywood. 😂

I chose the Blue Ridge Mountains because many years ago I had spent 3 months working in S. Carolina and my husband joined me at the end and we drove through the Blue Ridge to visit his brother in Tennessee before flying home. We loved the trip although I am not sure whether I would be up to it or whether I am just too old now to do long road trips.

An Alaskan port where I can board a helicopter that takes me to a mountain with fresh deep powder snow. Then I can ski down making “freshies” and video in Slow mo.

Get back on board in time for a formal night. Dress up, have a nice dinner, then dance the night away.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ann141 said:

I love the Italian Lakes particularly Lake Como No sea but plenty of water!

Personally I prefer Lago Maggiore, but then I would say that as my grandparents  are from Isola Dei Pescatori.

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Personally I prefer Lago Maggiore, but then I would say that as my grandparents  are from Isola Dei Pescatori.

I would love to visit Lake Maggiore.The only Italian lakes we have previously visited are Como and Garda.I think Italy is my favourite holiday destination as it has such a mix of history, culture and wonderful scenery

• Like 3

On 8/11/2020 at 5:14 PM, Monorail Orange said:

Another one of those "just for fun" topics.

Are there any places in the world that you'd think would be great places to stop on a cruise - that you just can't. I'm thinking mainly landlocked cities and areas of the world.

One caveat, there are places you can go on river cruises, but we'll ignore those for this.

My first suggestions:

Vienna

It looks a beautiful city, with plenty of history and architechture. Plus it's home to the Sachertorte.

Interlaken, Switzerland

I have been there a couple of times, its a lovely idyllic part of the country. I can imagine the shore excursions would include trips to the Schilthorn's Piz Gloria (famed for being Blofeld's hideout in 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service') and the highest train station in Europe up at the Jungfraujoch.

We always love going to Orlando Florida.

Always lots to do including Disney, Universal, Disney Springs, excellent food and shopping.

• Like 1

Surely there are only two answers to this question - the foothills of the Himalayas,  looking up at Everest,  and then,  my favourite,  Uluru in Australia at dawn.

In third place, the Serengeti,  going for a dawn drive watching the wildlife. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Esprit said:

I always struggle to decide which Is my favourite Italian lake, they are all beautiful. We have spent many brilliant holidays on the Italian lakes but I think that the little excursion that we made to islands on Lake Maggiore was one of my favourite days out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We always love going to Orlando Florida.

Always lots to do including Disney, Universal, Disney Springs, excellent food and shopping.

That's a good one too (you can probably tell I'm a little biased).

Being the nerd that I am... I did a little research.

Of the six resorts, its only Paris that's not really accessable by a port. (158 miles from Le Havre.)

HK and Tokyo are right on the coast, and Shanghai (18mi), WDW (60mi) and Disneyland (26 mi) are only short trips away.

So yeah, the idea of a day at the parks, and getting back to the ship at night sounds wonderful.

21 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely there are only two answers to this question - the foothills of the Himalayas,  looking up at Everest,  and then,  my favourite,  Uluru in Australia at dawn.

In third place, the Serengeti,  going for a dawn drive watching the wildlife. 

Uluru is a wonderful idea. That'd be amazing to see.

• Like 1