Next Delay Announcement

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

You all do realize that there is still no cure for this virus, right?   Why would anyone have anything booked at this point ??   

Something to look forward to.  There's no cure for a lot of things, but there are treatments and vaccines and there will be for this too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, F27TW said:

You all do realize that there is still no cure for this virus, right?   Why would anyone have anything booked at this point ??   

Because we are optimists.......

I, for one, want to be on the first RCCL ship that sails.  The protocol is going to be so tight to prevent any infection (and bad news heading to the media) that I believe that I will be safe.  I will follow the same procedure I do now - wear a mask, avoid close-contact crowds, etc.  My personal biggest change on board will be walking the stairs more rather than taking the elevator (which will be good for me anyway).

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LuckiStac13*Majesty* said:

Sorry to be pessimistic, but this virus will be in the air/ac if one person on the ship has it. There is no way you’ll be “safe” with such close quarters, sorry...unless you’re vaccinated. Just my opinion. Very risky to get on any airplane or ship at this point. 

Where is the evidence that the a/c is an issue?

7 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't know, was it?  Or was it just the fact people were in close contact on a full ship?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.08.20148775v1

They are using it as a case study

Screenshot_20200821-212714_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fe789d5a96f6bd114d329dfcbb7d9ca5.jpg

Lots of data from what I gather. Open the PDF

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Wasn't that a reason it spread so fast on Diamond Princess?

Really....facts on this theory

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Screenshot_20200821-212714_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fe789d5a96f6bd114d329dfcbb7d9ca5.jpg

Lots of data from what I gather

Isn't the keyword here "could" ? Do they really know ? I've read it's more than likely the close confines and an older demographic. The crew members that came down with it early on were the onboard food workers.

If this is true then why isn't the upgrading of the ventilation system a priority...It doesn't seem to be at this point.

Edited by Ashland
  • Haha 1

Just now, John&LaLa said:

We shall see, but there are plenty of people working in offices with shared a/c.  There are so many hotels, offices, etc with a/c that should be included in any studies done.  My DH and both our DS work in offices as do many people and I have yet to see any evidence of spread that way.  Cruise ships would not be the only way this would happen so I question this idea.  

It say it "could" explain.  Not really proof of anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Isn't the keyword here "could" ? Do they really know ? I've read it's more than likely the close confines and an older demographic. The crew members that came down with it early on were the onboard food workers.

LOL.  That's what I pointed out, the "could".  It's also not peer reviewed so it really means nothing in the research world.

Edited by BND
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So you just looked at the cliff notes😉

4 minutes ago, BND said:

We shall see, but there are plenty of people working in offices with shared a/c.  There are so many hotels, offices, etc with a/c that should be included in any studies done.  My DH and both our DS work in offices as do many people and I have yet to see any evidence of spread that way.  Cruise ships would not be the only way this would happen so I question this idea.  

It say it "could" explain.  Not really proof of anything.

Can I interest you in a magnet?

Screenshot_20200821-213552_Chrome.thumb.jpg.39e0c18cd1b73382749c52aa45ce22c3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't know, was it?  Or was it just the fact people were in close contact on a full ship?

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Many here on CC question "why can't we sail in interior cabins during a pandemic?". 

By the way, any guesses why perhaps MSC Grandiosa, sailing at 70% capacity, seems to be doing ok on her first cruise?

https://www.msccruises.ca/-/media/can/pdf-documents/health_measures_can.pdf?la=en-ca&hash=608B81E8A773ACDA1587D9CCA0B81DE85DB545DB

"100% external fresh air supplied to all cabins and public areas, additionally sanitised through UV-C light technology (that kills 99.97% of all microbes) and no re-circulation of air between cabins or within the ship"

Sincerely asking the following question as I really don't know... Which Royal ships have no air circulation between cabins and

UV-C light technology at this very moment? My guess is none.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Can I interest you in a magnet?

Screenshot_20200821-213552_Chrome.thumb.jpg.39e0c18cd1b73382749c52aa45ce22c3.jpg

Did you read the linked "study"?  Their words were "could", not mine.  And, it's not peer reviewed which in the research world means absolutely nothing.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Many here on CC question "why can't we sail in interior cabins during a pandemic?". 

By the way, any guesses why perhaps MSC Grandiosa, sailing at 70% capacity, seems to be doing ok on her first cruise?

https://www.msccruises.ca/-/media/can/pdf-documents/health_measures_can.pdf?la=en-ca&hash=608B81E8A773ACDA1587D9CCA0B81DE85DB545DB

"100% external fresh air supplied to all cabins and public areas, additionally sanitised through UV-C light technology (that kills 99.97% of all microbes) and no re-circulation of air between cabins or within the ship"

Sincerely asking the following question as I really don't know... Which Royal ships have no air circulation between cabins and

I kind of recall Cheng explaining how air circulates in a ship. He seemed to explain that air doesn’t travel from one cabin to another, but I don't recall the details

I kind of recall Cheng explaining how air circulates in a ship. He seemed to explain that air doesn’t travel from one cabin to another, but I don't recall the details

Hmm... ok. I can't remember seeing that. I was on Oceania in February, and a friend of mine was buddies with the hotel director, so got to chat with this officer on 3 different occasions with my friend over coffee. One of the discussions was with what was happening to the Princess ship. I paraphrase... "it's not right that they keep those people on the ship, they should be let off as soon as possible"... referring to keeping them confined on the ship, specifically in their cabins, as the wrong thing to do.

@chengkp75

Bat signal 😁 ... maybe he'll come explain again

Just now, Hoopster95 said:

Hmm... ok. I can't remember seeing that. I was on Oceania in February, and a friend of mine was buddies with the hotel director, so got to chat with this officer on 3 different occasions with my friend over coffee. One of the discussions was with what was happening to the Princess ship. I paraphrase... "it's not right that they keep those people on the ship, they should be let off as soon as possible"... referring to keeping them confined on the ship, specifically in their cabins, as the wrong thing to do.

@chengkp75

Bat signal 😁 ... maybe he'll come explain again

I found this about Diamond Princess

Screenshot_20200821-222424_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1ae2de36ed92b000b56e036e98a5b49d.jpg

Bottom line is there are a ton of studies and papers being written with data from these ships. What's unique is that they are truly bubbles from the early onest of the virus.

Some are making opposite conclusions, its still early, so all we have is speculation. And I don't see the difference between inside cabins and balcony equipped cabins. You eventually breathe air from the air handler.😉

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

There is also the factor that MSC has only allowed limited guests on her (and only those from Europe’s 26-nation Schengen visa free travel zone) and they are visiting primarily Italian ports (three Italian ports and Valletta) where they have more control since they are in their 'home country'. 

MSC has:

Embarkation

- Embarked guests using defined time slots

-Completed a temperature check on all guests,

-Did a medical review of a health questionnaire

-Sanitized hand and checked luggage

-And administered an antigen COVID-19 swab test to every guest prior to boarding.

On the ship:

-Guests have a MSC for Me wristband (for contact-less transactions, opening staterooms, and used for contact tracing if necessary)

- Guests can only go on shore if they are an MSC shore excursion (sanitized buses, social distancing, tour guides/drivers who are trained in COVID procedures)

Crew:

Have had 3 COVID-19 tests

Sheltered before being allowed to resume their job

Are being regularly tested

I believe these are all factors that help create a 'cleaner' ship.

I found this about Diamond Princess...

You eventually breathe air from the air handler.😉

Yes, gotcha. So from the lowest priced interior to the biggest suite, all it takes is one single asymptomatic Covid19 infected cruiser to sneeze several times, and have their nano-scopic aerosol enter the public air system from their cabin to several immune compromised 60+ year olds in other cabins... voila, Diamond and Ruby Princess all over again.

So...... does RCG send all of their ships to drydock in order to install UV lights and separate the air systems (like the Grandiosa)?

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

So...... does RCG send all of their ships to drydock in order to install UV lights and separate the air systems (like the Grandiosa)?

Whoever is selling that system was able to convince Virgin Voyages to do so with Scarlet Lady - she sailed to Genoa for just that, though it seems in no hurry to return to Miami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Whoever is selling that system was able to convince Virgin Voyages to do so with Scarlet Lady - she sailed to Genoa for just that, though it seems in no hurry to return to Miami.

No sense coming back to hurry up and wait. 

Maybe she'll do European trips in September