Royal and NCL announce plan for return to sea

jimbo5544

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival had their own panel of experts conference as did MSC. Remember?

But Carnival and MSC are both cruising in Europe, so I would say we've got Carnival's plan.

I do remember.  I was waxing poetic on them submitting theirs to the CDC.  I do agree we have pretty much seen what they will do, at least for the most part.  It will be most interesting to see what the CDC does now.  MOST Interesting.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Maybe cruise lines will have a special system to ensure you get tested and get results, by directing you to a specific provider, with the cost part of your cruise fare?

Doubtful. Anymore than cruise lines don't provide visas or immunizations needed for cruises to more exotic places.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

And what happens now (well, a year ago) if you plan to cruise, book your flights, and the flights get cancelled and you show up a day late to depart?  Bad luck will always happen.  This will just be another way to get unlucky, I guess.

This never has been the cruise line's problem, unless you booked the flights through them.

3 hours ago, Buck64 said:

Noticed they mentioned EXCURSION PLANNING.  Guess all excursions will have to be booked through the cruise lines.  I can understand this.  At least the excursions will have to follow safety protocol.  

I wonder if excursions will be required at private islands. 

54 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

USA Today mentioned 10 out of the 74 recommendations the panel made. Small sample size of what cruiselines need to do.

Although the 10 are important, the other 64 can't be overlooked.

57 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

USA Today mentioned 10 out of the 74 recommendations the panel made. Small sample size of what cruiselines need to do.

The USAToday article was a CLIA announcement of minimum requirements, vs the recommendations from that RCL/NCL Panel.

"Cruise Lines International Association, the cruise industry's leading trade organization, and its members, who carry 95% of the world's oceangoing cruisers, announced a mandatory "Core Elements of Health Protocols," ..."

So they are starting with 10 mandatory elements, and most would suggest the industry will evaluate the remaining items for viability and implementation.

Not defending it, just saying they are two different things.  Like what the NTSB recommends vs what the FAA enacts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

The total package was a very interesting read.  It showed that they took the opportunity seriously.  I agree that all have importance.  In my past life, I implemented mitigation programs for data security, this endeavor they layout is both complex and detailed.  It will be interesting to see the response from the cdc.  

Edited by jimbo5544

7 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The USAToday article was a CLIA announcement of minimum requirements, vs the recommendations from that RCL/NCL Panel.

"Cruise Lines International Association, the cruise industry's leading trade organization, and its members, who carry 95% of the world's oceangoing cruisers, announced a mandatory "Core Elements of Health Protocols," ..."

So they are starting with 10 mandatory elements, and most would suggest the industry will evaluate the remaining items for viability and implementation.

Not defending it, just saying they are two different things.  Like what the NTSB recommends vs what the FAA enacts.

Playing devil's advocate and being the panel has recommended the 74 points, do you think the CDC would agree with the panel or CLIA picking 10 of those 74.

Seems CLIA ( rightfully so) is pushing for the easiest to incorporate rather than agreeing with the experts (NCL and RCI) put together.

7 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Playing devil's advocate and being the panel has recommended the 74 points, do you think the CDC would agree with the panel or CLIA picking 10 of those 74.

Seems CLIA ( rightfully so) is pushing for the easiest to incorporate rather than agreeing with the experts (NCL and RCI) put together.

Depends on how much of a mire the CDC wants to get into. 

If the No Sail Order expires, the CDC has no say, essentially.

If the CDC extends the No Sail Order with the added exemption of following certain protocols, then they will need to balance which set to insist upon.  Public perception of the entire 74 vs the "10 practical measures" will be what matters, IMHO.  

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

Not sure how they are going to handle the mask requirement with so many people refusing to wear them.  I was at a condo complex this past weekend at the beach and there were signs everywhere stating masks were mandatory and very few people were wearing them.  You are going to have people walking around with a drink in there hand always so they can say they don't have to wear it while drinking.  I think this type of cruise will work well in Europe, but the don't step on my freedom crowd is not going to do well with all these regulations.  Just my opinion.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Depends on how much of a mire the CDC wants to get into. 

If the No Sail Order expires, the CDC has no say, essentially.

If the CDC extends the No Sail Order with the added exemption of following certain protocols, then they will need to balance which set to insist upon.  Public perception of the entire 74 vs the "10 practical measures" will be what matters, IMHO.  

Public perception of the entire 74 shouldn't come into play. It was the cruiselines handpicked panel of experts who put it together and felt those were necessary to begin safe sailing.

It's possible but can't imagine the cruiselines ignoring the panel and all the recommendations they have specified.  Like everything during this shut down time will tell.

1 hour ago, kamac56 said:

So if I don’t have an excursion set up does that mean you don’t get off the boat?  I would assume no port shopping etc?

I would assume you have to take a shopping excursion that only visits specific stores. If you decide to ditch the tour, I would expect them to deny you boarding, or at least be confined to a quarantine cabin for the rest of the cruise.

7 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Wonder how that would work if the port has "controlled" shopping. Costa Maya for example.  There is a fenced in area right off the ship with a pool, bars, restaurants and shopping.

baf

I think you may have answered your own question - "controlled". Likely the same with private islands, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beerman2 said:

4 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Forget the other 64. We only need 10.

3 hours ago, skridge said:

Not sure how they are going to handle the mask requirement with so many people refusing to wear them.  I was at a condo complex this past weekend at the beach and there were signs everywhere stating masks were mandatory and very few people were wearing them.  You are going to have people walking around with a drink in there hand always so they can say they don't have to wear it while drinking.  I think this type of cruise will work well in Europe, but the don't step on my freedom crowd is not going to do well with all these regulations.  Just my opinion.

The theme parks don't permit you to have your mask off with food or drink unless you are stationary. If you're moving, it must be on. And it's enforced.

Sounds like that business establishment you patronized needs some help. Enforcement is strict in my area as businesses can receive big fines if someone reports a mask violation on their property.

3 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

What you feel is needed , might fall well short of what the cruiselines "need" to do with the recommendations.

As I said time will tell!

For real though, I haven't had a chance to see the information shared by CLIA as of yet. Maybe the sarcasm in my post wasn't easily detected this time.

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

For real though, I haven't had a chance to see the information shared by CLIA as of yet. Maybe the sarcasm in my post wasn't easily detected this time.

Nope, sarcasm is easily detectable when someone speaks, not always that way with a keyboard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skridge said:

I wouldn’t spend 5 minutes at any facility that didn’t enforce social distancing and mask rules. To me you are just as guilty if you spent the weekend there after observing the behavior you mentioned. We have been to Disney World multiple times since it reopened. They strictly enforce wearing a mask at all times when you are moving. Even if you have a drink or food in your hand, you have to wear a mask unless you are stationary. I think cruise lines will have no problem enforcing any COVID related rules, although this goes against Carnival’s fun for all, free for all culture. 

• Like 1