No passengers under the age of 18?

K_e_short

I've been playing around with cruise bookings and it seems that Cunard is not allowing anyone under the age of 18 to go on a transatlantic cruise.

I haven't chosen any other cruise so not sure if it's only transatlantics. I couldn't find any information about this restriction.

Does anyone know anything about this?

(My 14 year old and I want to do a transatlantic from Southhampton at some point).

I am getting that error on some crossings and not others. So far I've received that error on the first two scheduled crossings from Southampton (M110 and M112B). I have not received that error on the first two scheduled crossings from New York (M111A and M113).

Here's the error I'm getting on voyage M110. This is on the Cunard US website.

image.thumb.png.44fe38de022b927fb8f8e6e3963a9823.png

• Like 1

I haven't figured out the pattern yet, but this issue does seem to be limited to only a few voyages. I've checked about a dozen more crossings and the only other one I've found so far with this issue is voyage M123C.

While the error occurs on the 7-night westbound crossing M110 from Southampton, it does not occur on the 14-night roundtrip crossing M110A from Southampton departing the same day.

It doesn't seem to be related to limited cabin availability since there appears to be plenty of availability on voyage M110. And it doesn't seem to matter which type of cabin I select.

For those trying to recreate the issue, I should have mentioned that the error does not occur until after you select a fare. I am also seeing the same issue on the Cunard UK website.

Edit to add: I wonder if it's a matter of certain voyages having reached a maximum number of children allowed for those voyages?

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Edit to add: I wonder if it's a matter of certain voyages having reached a maximum number of children allowed for those voyages?

Cunard are very strict on the number of children allowed in each age group, and will not be budged. I have tried to book with grandchildren, and found that one was able to to travel and not the other, being told it was due to limits in each age group.

if the OP is trying to book in school holidays, this might be the issue. One could always phone and ask for clarification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadyL1 said:

Cunard are very strict on the number of children allowed in each age group

I never knew this.  Do we know why they restrict numbers?  And my final question (!)  Do we know if other lines have a similar policy?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, babs135 said:

I never knew this.  Do we know why they restrict numbers?  And my final question (!)  Do we know if other lines have a similar policy?

I imagine they don't want to be turning children away from the children's clubs, leaving them an excuse to maraude round the ship annoying crumblies like me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I am getting that error on some crossings and not others. So far I've received that error on the first two scheduled crossings from Southampton (M110 and M112B). I have not received that error on the first two scheduled crossings from New York (M111A and M113).

Here's the error I'm getting on voyage M110. This is on the Cunard US website.

image.thumb.png.44fe38de022b927fb8f8e6e3963a9823.png

Most of the rooms must be booked up then? I wonder what would their computers would do if you booked a second cabin for the kid by himself?

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I imagine they don't want to be turning children away from the children's clubs, leaving them an excuse to maraude round the ship annoying crumblies like me.

And on a transatlantic crossing it would be impossible to put any kids causing trouble off the ship. I was on the indy a couple of years ago and there was 1 kid causing massive trouble. He was on at me to get him a drink for 30 bucks I was dodging him and he was saying rude stuff to girls apparently.  He had to be put of the ship in Vigo I think it was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

P&O also has limits on children in each age group and once that figure is reached they will not let you book however many cabins are still available. Common sense when you think about it.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your responses.

That does make sense that perhaps they have reached their limit with number of children for kids club capacity and overall limit on children.

And now that I think about it if I was an adult travelling alone I would want those limits.

We have specific restrictions on when we can do this cruise (only summer time, must leave from Southhampton, only want one way, not round trip)

Once the 2022 summer cruises are released I will know to book ASAP 🙂

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

My 14 year old would probably annoy you by talking your ear off about Titanic, the history of Cunard, the different architecture designs of the ship, and explain how he can't miss tea time 🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

My 14 year old would probably annoy you by talking your ear off about Titanic, the history of Cunard, the different architecture designs of the ship, and explain how he can't miss tea time 🙂

In fact, despite my post above, all the children I have encountered on Cunard have behaved admirably, except one group of teenage boys, who were easily suppressed. But the cap on numbers may well help. 😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Most of the rooms must be booked up then? I wonder what would their computers would do if you booked a second cabin for the kid by himself?

I've taken a deeper look at cabin availability on voyage M110 and there are at least 142 cabins available. I say "at least" because the Cunard website only shows a maximum of 10 available cabins in any given combination of cabin type, deck, and section.

The booking process on the Cunard website does not allow you to request less than 1 adult in a cabin.

• Like 1

Below is today's availability information of Voyage M110.

Each voyage is different and the availability can be changed constantly. Travel agents will be able to see this information. However the actual numbers of the maximum limit is unknown. Only Cunard knows.

If a limit of a particular child age group is reached, kids at that age cannot be booked anymore or they will have to wait until other kids cancel booking. Cunard and Princess are both strict on this issue.

M110 Availability Information

Dining: 1st seating available, 2nd seating available

Upper Berths: Available

Minimum Infant Age: 12 months

12 months - 23 months: CLOSED

24 months - 35 months: CLOSED

3 years - 7 years: Available

8 years - 12 years: Available

13 years - 16 years: Available

Thanks for that @Cruise Wonderland. That begs the question why one cannot book a child of any age younger than 18 onto voyage M110 using the Cunard website.

I'm finding other third-party cruise booking web sites are working correctly. They won't allow a 1-year-old or 2-year-old on voyage M110 but they will allow a 3-year-old or older. Looks like a glitch with the Cunard website to me (imagine that).

If the OP wants to book that voyage (or another with the same problem) for his 14-year-old, Cunard Customer Service or a travel agent ought to be able to assist.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

It was M 123C that I was trying to book.

What I'm seeing on another cruise booking website is that it is not accepting bookings for a two-year-old on voyage M123C. All other ages seem to be fine. It is looking more and more like the Cunard website might be rejecting bookings for children of every age whenever any age category is closed. You should be able to book your 14-year-old onto voyage M123C. You just won't be able to make that booking via the Cunard website.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

What I'm seeing on another cruise booking website is that it is not accepting bookings for a two-year-old on voyage M123C. All other ages seem to be fine. It is looking more and more like the Cunard website might be rejecting bookings for children of every age whenever any age category is closed. You should be able to book your 14-year-old onto voyage M123C. You just won't be able to make that booking via the Cunard website.

I really appreciate your effort into this. Thank you.

Right now I"m not booking until I know the borders will be open and I can actually fly to England and back from New York.

I will be calling if that happens prior to next July if the cruise still has space.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 10:08 AM, babs135 said:

Pando do the same. Safety reasons. Some have posted on their boards if its a family booking in school holidays they book up to 2 years in advance to make sure all the children can get on. I know from from has been posted Costa either do not restrict of allow a greater number of children per adult.

It doesn't get based on children using the childrens club. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 3:27 AM, bluemarble said:

Thanks for that @Cruise Wonderland. That begs the question why one cannot book a child of any age younger than 18 onto voyage M110 using the Cunard website.

I'm finding other third-party cruise booking web sites are working correctly. They won't allow a 1-year-old or 2-year-old on voyage M110 but they will allow a 3-year-old or older. Looks like a glitch with the Cunard website to me (imagine that).

If the OP wants to book that voyage (or another with the same problem) for his 14-year-old, Cunard Customer Service or a travel agent ought to be able to assist.

If they are like pando I know they restrict the age of children on voyages that have mpore than 3 consecutive sea days (which a transatlantic would) Basically because if a small child gets ill they can go downhill very quick. Now what age that applies up to I do not know.

• Like 1

And just to put a spanner into the works. According to the latest news articles in various UK papers and internet sources children under the age of the 18 WILL NOT receive the future Coronavirus vaccine in UK. So if Cunard requires vaccine to travel parents may have a problem.