Grandeur of the Seas

Anyone have information on the status of Grandeur?  Will she sail again for Royal?  Will Royal have her sail for a few cruises in 2021?  Will Enchantment still permanently replace her in Baltimore?  So many questions . . . More than a little time!  Katherine

2 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Anyone have information on the status of Grandeur?  Will she sail again for Royal?  Will Royal have her sail for a few cruises in 2021?  Will Enchantment still permanently replace her in Baltimore?  So many questions . . . More than a little time!  Katherine

Nothing announced by Royal.  Just guessing.

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Grandeur will still be in Royal's fleet but not sure where she will home port.

The Enchantment will replace her

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

She may very well never sail with passengers under Royal

I think you're correct.  Royal doesn't need all of the current capacity and the Grandeur is older and less efficient.  If they can't find a buyer, I think the Grandeur will be headed to the beach.

Fondest memories of GotS - it was my first really BIG ship back in January 1997- her inaugural season. In those days she was considered a " Mega- Ship"!

I sailed on board all her sisters ( Vision Class) but never on board GotS. I don´t think  (and don´t hope)  they will send her to the beach- she is roughly 10 years younger then SotS or MotS.

Our very first cruise was on the Grandeur when she was around nine years old.  I'll never forget arriving at the dock in Baltimore and marveling at how large she was.  I'm booked on her final cruise out of Baltimore on March 26, 2021.  It may well be her final cruise with RCI, or maybe not.  Regardless, I don't want to miss the opportunity.  

I've changed my thoughts about not wanting to cruise with a mask and social distancing just for this cruise.  I'll just have to adapt my thoughts, go with the flow, and enjoy the ship one final time.  

• Like 1

GOTS is like an old friend -- we're booked on her in Feb. for what we thought would be our final cruise on her, but now, who knows? RCL is going to have to figure out what to do in the coming months -- both the pandemic, and who ends up in the White House (reopening of Cuba, or not) will drive what they do with the fleet.

3 minutes ago, mmcgann11 said:

GOTS is like an old friend -- we're booked on her in Feb. for what we thought would be our final cruise on her, but now, who knows? RCL is going to have to figure out what to do in the coming months -- both the pandemic, and who ends up in the White House (reopening of Cuba, or not) will drive what they do with the fleet.

Cuba is a long way off even if there is a change on Pennsylvania Ave.

It's curious they just announced some ship movements and introduced new itineraries for those ships but left Grandeur out of that with nothing after March.  She has no future purpose in the fleet.  They couldn't or wouldn't find anywhere for her, not even San Juan or NOLA.  That can't be a good sign.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:35 AM, Lady Hudson said:

A bit off topic but I just saw a Grandeur Crystal Block on EBay. Better get one while you can. 

M8

12133680-2EDA-43BC-955D-93AFD8D3F712.png

Just now, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Why do you think that. The current administration issued an order that went into effect mid cruise for some people.

Cuba remains a controversial topic especially for any American who had their assets seized by the Cuban government.  Just because the previous administration was warming up relations with Cuba doesn't make it a slam dunk that a new administration will put Cuba at the front of their agenda should a new administration come into power.   It's complicated and it will take time to work through the process to evaluate actions and consequences related to Cuba.

Assuming for a moment there will be a new administration in January they will have their hands full with many areas to grab their attention with a long list of priorities.  I can't imagine Cuba is high on that list or even on that list.  America has some pretty big challenges still dealing with the pandemic and in the aftermath of the pandemic for several years to come.  How does enabling Cuba tourism benefit Americans?  Did cruising to Cuba even really help the Cuban people or did it simply fund the Cuban government more?  

A new administration may very well explore their relationship with Cuba with a long term goal of building a better relationship but that will start with diplomatic discussions and move forward from there.  It will be a process and it will take time.  One wrong move on the part of Cuba may delay or stall that process.  

Once bitten twice shy.  Even if or when cruising is allowed to Cuba knowing one ill move on the part of the Cuban government could lead to new travel restrictions should cause cruise lines a lot of caution in their return to Cuba.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:31 AM, Biker19 said:

I added a qualifier to your statement. Not sure your sailing will happen.

Nothing is sure at this point, but I can sail out of Baltimore without any air travel or hotel bookings, so I'll take the chance without those extra complications. If it gets cancelled, I'll eventually get a refund or FCC.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

A bit off topic but I just saw a Grandeur Crystal Block on EBay. Better get one while you can. 

Cool item!  Tempting to buy it and then resell as an auction - this is just the sort of thing that could get bid up depending on the interest. A bit surprised that the seller is doing this as a 'buy it now'. I think I'd list as a 10-day auction. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1