Princess cruising newbie here. Internet and drinks package....

JG&Lcruisingnewbies

Hi all,

im looking at Christmas cruises for 2021. I’ve never before sailed with princess but have with NCL and RC. 

Please can somone help me or point me in the right direction?

my hubby and I don’t drink Alchohol. He’ll be happy with the basic soda package, same as my 8 year old daughter. where as I would like to have the option to drink items included in the premium soft drink package.

So do we all have to get the same drinks package in the cabin or are we all able to choose which we have?

Also, with the Internet, we’ve generally gone with one device unlimited social media etc (non streaming) and shared that device. Although now my daughter is older multiple device usage would be useful. (But not essential).

because of the medallion on the cruise, does that mean we each have to purchase an Internet package? Or can we purchase just one multiple device Package for us all to use?

that said, as we are not drinkers, I’m wondering if the ‘all in’ deal where you pay extra for wifi, drinks and gratuities pre cruise is worth it for the money?

ive worked out it’s about £470 in gratuities for us all on a 14 night cruise, which we pay. If somone could please help me with the above, I can hopfully work out the cost saving on the wifi and drinks.

honestly I’m so confused!!! One day we’ll stick to one cruise line And know what we are doing. Maybe. If they don’t change it all again 😂😂.

ive searched the forum and can’t find the answer. 

thank you 🙏 

I'll speak in USD - you can do the conversion ...

Princess Plus is $ 40 per person ( pp ) per day ( pd ) .  If you discount that by grats. ( 15 pp pd ) the package works out to $ 25 pp pd 

also noted is the "beverage package" includes more items than just alcohol related items - go to the Princess website and find the terms and conditions of the different beverages packages and what is included

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I'll speak in USD - you can do the conversion ...

Princess Plus is $ 40 per person ( pp ) per day ( pd ) .  If you discount that by grats. ( 15 pp pd ) the package works out to $ 25 pp pd 

also noted is the "beverage package" includes more items than just alcohol related items - go to the Princess website and find the terms and conditions of the different beverages packages and what is included

Thank you for the reply.

ive seen the different packages and tbh would only be interested in the premium soft drink package and Hubby and daughter, the basic soft drink package. 20USD and 10USD respectively (without the 18% added obvs). 

can I purchase the premium soft drink and the others in the cabin purchase the basic soft drink package. Or would we all have to get the same? I can seem to find the answer to this on Princesses website. On RCCL all adults had to have the same package if I remember rightly. 

thanks again 

after grats - your family cost is $ 75 per day ( includes 18% ) and includes unlimited wifi for 3 devices

your cost of 'soda' package(s) $ 20 + 10 + 10 = $ 40 x 1.18 = $ 47

$ 75 - 47 = $ 28 difference x 14 days = $ 392

I am a big believer in the Princess Plus package ... others , not so much

EDIT - on Princess, at least pre-corona - you can carry all the soda you want on board

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told by Princess (and somewhere in writing) that both adults in the same cabin have to purchase the premium drink package (Princess Plus).

Do all 4 guests in a stateroom receive the Premier Beverage Package, Wi-Fi and Gratuities?
YES. When this fare is selected, it will automatically be defaulted to all guests in the stateroom. The third and fourth guests can opt out of this package by calling Princess or their travel advisor. For guests under the legal drinking age, the Premier Coffee & Soda Package will be applied before sailing.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/princess-plus/

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

I'll try to provide some insight. Sorry I did not convert to GBP.

If booked using the plus value package the additional cost is around US$40/day. The plus fare has to be purchased by everyone in the cabin. The fare includes the daily gratuity of between US$ 14.50 to US$16.50/pp/day. Net cost for drinks and unlimited wi-fi is then around US$25/pp/day. Wi-fi when purchased individually is right around $10/day and of course you only have to purchase a single wi-fi package. The package can be shared between different devices, but only one device can be logged in at a time. There is a multiple device package but I'm not immediately aware of the cost.

The Soda package cost US$11.79/pp/day. The Coffee & Soda package is US$23.99/pp/day These costs included the gratuity and no further gratuity is charged per drink. Of, course you can order individual non alcoholic beverages on board. Canned sodas are $2.36, Special espresso drinks around $3.50 to $5. Coffee, hot tea, ice tea, juice in the morning, lemonade, milk, is free in the buffet area and in DR's. You are also allowed to carry on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you like, no limit. You can work out some math and see what is best for you.

• Like 3

If you do not want all the perks you can book the value fare and then buy the individual drink package.  You can then each buy the drink package you want.  Princess does not require that each person have the same drink package like some cruise lines.  If you get the fare with all the perks both adults automatically get the premier beverage package that includes alcoholic drinks. 

• Like 2

Book “ No Frills” fare. 

go in personalizer and each of you book drinks you want or none. In the past Princess allowed us to bring on bottled water, sofas, and 1 bottle of wine each to drink in our cabin. 

re: internet- book a package without the drink/ gratuity. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Thank you for the reply.

ive seen the different packages and tbh would only be interested in the premium soft drink package and Hubby and daughter, the basic soft drink package. 20USD and 10USD respectively (without the 18% added obvs). 

can I purchase the premium soft drink and the others in the cabin purchase the basic soft drink package. Or would we all have to get the same? I can seem to find the answer to this on Princesses website. On RCCL all adults had to have the same package if I remember rightly. 

thanks again 

Further to yesterday's post. All packages are individual. Yes, one person can purchase the classic soda package, another the Premier coffee and soda package and the 3rd no package at all. Cabin occupants are not required to purchase the same packages. Note all beverage package pricing includes the 18% gratuity. It isn't optional. No extra gratuity is charged for each serving. Beverage gratuities, 18%, are separate from the hotel gratuity, $14.50 to $16.50/pp/day depending on cabin category. There is also a New Grounds Coffee Package, priced around $35. The package includes 15 specialty coffee/espresso drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee, specialty teas(mighty leaf) and hot chocolate. The 15 specialty coffees can be shared. The unlimited brewed coffee, tea and hot chocolate is for the person that has the package on their account. All ships have free coffee and tea in the buffet and DR's. There is a selection of teas, mostly Twinnings. Royal Class ships have free coffee from grounds in the buffet and DR's. They also have free hot chocolate in the buffet. On non Royal Class ships the free coffee is prepared from a coffee concentrate, drinkable but not the greatest. All ships have the free tea.

• Like 1

Do a comparison booking.  One with no perks involved and one with the perks.  I think you would be way ahead if you book with no perks and then purchase drinks individually when on board, no package.  My husband and I do not get the beverage packages and end up spending around $10 per day for coffee and his occasional soda.  We cut back.  I do purchase the water bottles that are delivered to the room and we have water that I add lemonade packets.  

Internet - some people can not live without it.  When we go on a cruise, we read books and watch tv in our cabin and check emails when we go ashore with our phones.  

You can save some big bucks if you cut back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

Do a comparison booking.  One with no perks involved and one with the perks.  I think you would be way ahead if you book with no perks and then purchase drinks individually when on board, no package.  My husband and I do not get the beverage packages and end up spending around $10 per day for coffee and his occasional soda.  We cut back.  I do purchase the water bottles that are delivered to the room and we have water that I add lemonade packets.  

Internet - some people can not live without it.  When we go on a cruise, we read books and watch tv in our cabin and check emails when we go ashore with our phones.  

You can save some big bucks if you cut back.

while I can certainly appreciate your post - going on a cruise for us, at least, is not the time to "cut back" as we can 'only cruise' once, maybe twice ( shorter cruises ) during a year

we'll cut back on other things, at other times of the year

• Like 2

It sounds like you might be a little better off without the Princess plus but, it really is a great deal depending on how many beverages you are going to purchase.  

The tips are not really optional so, just subtract that right off the initial cost for the upgrade. 

Only bother to purchase the WiFi if you are on a ship that is equipped with the Medallion Net, most of them are.  It is really nice to not have to log out of one device to log onto another device just to use the WiFi.  There are specials on the WiFi when you purchase a package, or at least, there used to be. 

Now, here is the kicker ... how many drinks (sodas, specialty coffees, teas, etc) are you actually going to drink?  In the Caribbean, those cold drinks are more than welcome, just keep them coming.  In Alaska, the hot drinks are fabulous!  It's nice to just order and not worry about signing a bill.  But, do keep in mind that the packages don't include canned sodas, which makes a difference to a handful of people.  Sometimes, they will still give you a can but, it is not the norm.  But, you can always purchase canned sodas 6 for the price of 5.  Not sure if this still applies but, you can order a case of bottled water (12) for your room around $7 USD before you set sail.  Needless to say, the packages are not to be shared amongst one another.  There is no insinuation meant by that statement.  Thus, you will really have to do your math as to whether or not it is worth it for you.  For us, it is a no brainer but, that is because we do drink alcohol and we love those cappuccinos in the morning and a cup of steamed milk with cinnamon from the IC at night.  

• Like 1

Here’s something that hasn’t been mentioned. I first look to see what sales might be offered. I’ve booked 2 cruises that had the Ultimate Drink package, free gratuities,  & unlimited Wi-Fy. When the offer comes up it’s a great deal. I don’t drink a lot but enjoying a drink occasionally without having to pay for it is nice. 

What ever you decide have a great cruise & post what you decide. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trbarton said:

Here’s something that hasn’t been mentioned. I first look to see what sales might be offered. I’ve booked 2 cruises that had the Ultimate Drink package, free gratuities,  & unlimited Wi-Fy. When the offer comes up it’s a great deal. I don’t drink a lot but enjoying a drink occasionally without having to pay for it is nice. 

Currently all Princess cruises van be booked as Princess Plus (with Ultimate Drink package,  gratuities,  & unlimited Wi-Fi) or as Princess Savers with none of these perks.

You might often see ads saying includes free Ultimate Drink package,  gratuities,  & unlimited Wi-Fi, but it is always $40/day/person extra and built into the pricing. If it says "free", ask the TA what the cost of Princess Savers booking would be.

• Like 1

In the past we always just booked what is now called Savers, and paid the gratuities onboard.  We only drink a glass or two of wine at dinner and the soda-only package used to be about 4 pounds/day/pp.  As Elite, we also get a fair number of internet minutes (and unlimited wifi wasn't available).  Now it is a bit more complicated.  Medallion doesn't matter - it is just a replacement for the cruise card.

As non-drinkers you don't need the Plus package.  They got rid of the soda-only option and now the lowest level of soda includes mocktails.  You can add premium coffee/tea for a bit more for one person.  Let each person pick their own drink package. 

For internet, a one-device package should work fine for you.  Just log off before the next person logs on.  Note that a one-device package is tied to a single person's login on the phone app, so you will share a user ID and password on all the devices you use.  This is what we do.  You could choose a two-device package if you think your daughter will need her own account if you think you need it.  Or add it later onboard if you need it (price will be in US$ onboard, though).  Remember that even the new internet services tend to be very slow.

If you don't like the Coke products available from a bar gun you can bring as much soda as you like onboard with you in cans or bottles.  None of the drink packages include soda in cans.

Now if you want to splurge, by all means go with the Plus package for all three of you.  You will get all the drinks you want, including specialty coffee/tea/fresh squeezed juice/bottled water, full internet for three and gratuities.  But if you don't drink any alcohol or a lot of bottled water this is more than you need.

• Like 1

Thank you all so so much for your replies.

its a great help to know we can share the Internet package AND get different drinks packages each if we want.

ive been in touch with my TA. Not 100% sure on which cruise we are going on yet lol. But I have quotes for all. 

We have decided not to go with the package deal but there is no doubt that if we drank alcohol we would as it’s a great saver that way. We can add it on later if we want but I don’t think we will. 

my thoughts are that we’ll add 2 basic soda packages, one premium non alcoholic package and one internet package but we are not sure if we’ll go for single device or multi yet.

does anyone know the difference in price between the two?

Re. our cruises, It’s a choice between east and west Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess. Hawaiian islands on the Ruby princess from San Francisco (Quite a bit Cheaper but a ton of sea days), or the Panama Canal (partial transit) on the Crown Princess but that one doesn’t include new year. The others do.

all over Christmas though and I’m very excited.

thanks again, you have all given my great insight into how it all works. My mind was ready to explode trying to find it all.

now all I need to do is decide where we are going lol

Leanne 

1 hour ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Re. our cruises, It’s a choice between east and west Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess. Hawaiian islands on the Ruby princess from San Francisco (Quite a bit Cheaper but a ton of sea days), or the Panama Canal (partial transit) on the Crown Princess but that one doesn’t include new year. The others do

The Caribbean Princess 14 day are two 7 day voyages back to back booked as a single cruise. The ship returns to Ft. Lauderdale after 7 days. All passengers are required by US regulations to disembark go through immigration before returning to the ship. It's an easy process but be aware that it is a requirement. All luggage and belongings remain in your cabin. There will be instructions in your cabin on where and when to report. This is a tropical itinerary.

The Hawaii itinerary is really nice, but yeas there are lots of sea days, 9 of them. San Francisco is a great city for some extra days pre or post cruise. The first 2 to 3 days sailing to Hawaii will not be tropical and could be cool. The weather turns tropical around during day 3 when the ship crosses the Tropic of Cancer. The seas can also be choppy. The return from Ensenada can also be choppy as the ship sails against the coastal current.

The Crown P.C. partial transit is also nice and also tropical. The canal is interesting as are the port tours. Once through the locks the ship anchors in Gatun Lake. Only passengers on ship's tours are permitted to go ashore. Lots of nice tours in Limon, but not much in the town itself. Grand Cayman is very nice, lots of water & beach tours.

2 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

we are not sure if we’ll go for single device or multi yet.

does anyone know the difference in price between the two?

They offer two MedallionNet packages, for one device and another for up to 4 devices. The cost of the up to 4 devices package is twice the cost of a single device package.

If purchasing a MedallionNet package, the pre-cruise price via the Personalizer is the lowest cost option for someone with less than 5 cruises (actually cruise credits) with Princess.

13 hours ago, skynight said:

The Hawaii itinerary is really nice, but yeas there are lots of sea days, 9 of them. San Francisco is a great city for some extra days pre or post cruise. The first 2 to 3 days sailing to Hawaii will not be tropical and could be cool. The weather turns tropical around during day 3 when the ship crosses the Tropic of Cancer. The seas can also be choppy. The return from Ensenada can also be choppy as the ship sails against the coastal current.

great info thank you.

we were leaning towards the Hawaii itinerary as hubby has always wanted to go. However when we went to the Med from Southampton the Bay of Biscay was more than a bit choppy. My daughter was very sick and Hubby took an offered anti sickness tablet and slept the whole day.

i was fine. Except feeling like I was in a pinball machine trying not to bounce off the cabin corridor sides 😂. Oddly to us it didn’t look all that bad looking at the sea but we are not experienced cruisers really and this was all new to us. Going to have to find anti sickness pills or patches that don’t knock you out if such a thing exists!

i know it’s hard to say as no one can predict the weather lol, but is it known to be bay of biscay choppy or not as bad. Hubby and daughter were fine in some choppy waters we found ourselves in, in the Med, but what we experienced in the Bay of biscay was just too much and I know it’s known for its choppy waters. I won’t do the med from Southampton again tbh.

thank again. 

Leanne

Leanne,

I always bring Meclizine Hcl chewable tablets with me. They are trade named Bonine less drowsy and Dramamine less drowsy in the U.S. They are widely available. 1 tablet per day, with a maximum of 2 for adults. From experience the 2 tablet dose makes me sleepy. I usually take 1 tablet on boarding day just before sailing. From then on as required. I always carry a tablet or two with me. If I feel any motion that may cause sea sickness I then take a tablet. When I crossed the Bay of Biscay the rolling motion kept me in bed. Rolling is the worst. I can't remember much rolling in route to and from Hawaii. Mainly chop. We have sailed the Hawaii itinerary 5 times. We enjoy the sea days and the calm routine that they provide. The 8 year old may find the many sea days long. There is an active youth program at the youth center, and there should be quite a few children during holiday voyages.

Not Hawaii, the Caribbean Princess, one of your choices, has a great Reef & Family Splash Zone on on deck 17 aft. We saw this when we were on board in 2019. It's the only Princess ship with this amenity. It really looked nice. A nice water feature, comfortable lounge area, bar with youth and adult beverages. Here are some sites regarding youth programs for reference. 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/kids-and-teens/

https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Princess'-Youth-Programs-Makes-Cruising-Fun-for-the-Whole-Family.html

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2017/01/Princess-Cruises-Unveils-Newly-Reimagined-Youth-&-Teen-Centers.html

• Like 1

We have booked the Princess Saver Fare then added the BEST2DG offer code which gives you just the Grats and Drinks

without the internet (that we get enough of for being Platinum)  , for$30p/p per day.

Works out much better $$'s than Princess Plus for us.

2 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

We have booked the Princess Saver Fare then added the BEST2DG offer code which gives you just the Grats and Drinks

without the internet (that we get enough of for being Platinum)  , for$30p/p per day.

Works out much better $$'s than Princess Plus for us.

when ? long, long time ago, i can still remember ... we did also ...

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when ? long, long time ago, i can still remember ... we did also ...

Yes, although BEST2DG it is an older promo from this year , it still may be applied.

Not sure every sailing but for a new booking on my 5/01/21 Emerald it still can be applied.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Yes, although BEST2DG it is an older promo from this year , it still may be applied.

Not sure every sailing but for a new booking on my 5/01/21 Emerald it still can be applied.

that is excellent to know  much appreciated - we've got it on a long ago booked 12/2021 cruise on Discovery - if it's ready ...