The Daily for Tuesday Nov 3, 2020

richwmn

today is Cliché Day, Housewifes Day, and Sandwich Day

Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
        -- Alan Watts

Caution: Breathing may be hazardous to your health.

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Florentine

Drink of the Day - Sazerac

Wine of the day - Cline Zinfandel Contra Costa County Ancient Vines vintage 2016

at Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam destination Willemstad eta 11/7
Oosterdam destination Sint Eustatius eta 11/7

at Sea English Channel
Zaandam destination Southampton eta 11/4

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Taboga Panama eta 11/3

Caracas Bay
Eurodam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Westerdam

1102Caribbean.png

1102Channel.png

1102Greece.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Like the collection of days, the detail maps, and the quote.  Chicken Florentine sounds great, while my alternative menu suggestion is Honey Pineapple Plate, Baked Ricotta Stuffed Shells, and Black Forest Cake as served on the Prinsendam November 3, 2017.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

Sharon’s DGD and those in her school

RIP Eddie Haskell

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Denise feeling better

Voters!

Progress on California Wildfires

And election workers, especially Ichban Nekko

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

.What a combination of days.  I love a good sandwich but really dislike the term “housewife”, sorry.  Back in my working days, I never asked if someone was a housewife or a househusband (yes, they do exist).  I asked if they worked in or outside of the home.  That’s trickier these days with so many working from home 😉 

Two great quotes today.

We just had some Mexican chicken last night so I will pass on the Florentine to avoid a repeat.  Maybe later this week.

It’s a big day today for our American friends.  I hope everyone can vote safely if they haven’t already. 🙏🏻 🤞 

@richwmn and everyone who had cruise plans in December, I am so sorry to hear of your cancellations.  😢 2020 is not a good year, at all.

4E3B0C1A-386F-4B6D-A558-EBCCA1C2F9E5.jpeg.78b4c010d902ae10ca5e4bf951b17c84.jpeg

I’m going out today:

78ED422D-8E02-42D5-80C1-A662972F12C6.thumb.jpeg.4957b8f6ffa36df5a96f2b89d36e59e9.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and for anyone who needs them and a toast for everyone on the shut out list.  Special thanks to the election workers for their hard work, today.

Have a great Tuesday, everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 17

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Caution: Breathing may be hazardous to your health.

Having spent most of the last few months under a mask, I can relate to this.

Was SO sorry to hear that your holiday cruise was cancelled.  

Thanks for the daily...

• Like 11

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A great assortment of days to celebrate - the term housewife is a bygone title, but my mom was a housewife and wore the title proudly as she raised my brother and me, while keeping an immaculate home and put food on the table that I can't even begin to rival today.  My dad worked menial jobs, but he never left the house without a crisply ironed shirt - I'm not sure I even know where my iron is!   I tried to find a good cliche, but it's an uphill battle.

Thinking of all our friends in the US who will go out and vote today, so much so, that I woke at 3AM and the first thing I thought of was your election.  Go out and exercise your right, because if you don't vote, your voice isn't heard.

I like the menu suggestion, but don't have any spinach in the house - I'll have to see what I can do with the chicken breasts thawing in the fridge.  I think I'll coat them in panko crumbs and bake them along with cheesy baked potatoes and a salad for dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wine glasses tonight for all on the celebration list as we are glued to the television for the election results.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I must be missing a connection. Not sure why he is on the list now. Ken Osmond, who played Eddie, died in May of this year.

A different actor; this one was just a young man, who sadly was killed over the weekend.

https://madison.com/entertainment/police-actor-eddie-hassell-30-killed-in-texas-shooting/article_0827eb13-885a-503f-bdb5-c6af4eeff034.html

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all on a very important day for the USA.  An interesting assortment of days today, I'll celebrate by eating a sandwich.  Times have changed, how about Domestic Engineer instead of housewife?   DH made it to the dentist yesterday and the broken tooth has turned into major dental work that starts Nov 23.  I will wait to hear about the drink of the day before deciding if it's something I would like.  I read about HAL cancelling cruises up until December 31, sad but a safe decision.   It's coming up to one year since we last cruised and it will be another year before we cruise again.  We have to live with the memories till then.  Thanks to all for contributing to this thread.  My best to all.

• Like 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wild combo of days for sure! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Glad things are getting better Deeni! Joy did you have your picnic? 

Love the quote. Looking forward to Summer’s recipe. I am not familiar with this drink. I love ANYTHING Florentine, though eggplant is my favorite.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!  And if you live in the USA, please be sure to vote!

All released vintages of this Zinfandel from San Francisco have excellent ratings and prices starting at $11.99! So if you can not find this one, pick up another!

#40 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The 2016 Ancient Vines Zinfandel shows spicy, bright strawberry, with coffee and chocolate characters. Ripe fruit and soft tannins make this a mouth-coating rich vintage. Aging on new and used oak has lent this wine a subtle vanilla quality that nicely complements the explosive fruit notes. Enjoy now or cellar for 5 to 7 years.

WS91
Wine Spectator
Lively and supple, with floral raspberry and fresh pepper aromas and sleekly appealing cherry and licorice flavors that glide lightly along the finish. Drink now through 2022.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 13

Good Tuesday morning.  I will be happy when today is over!!  Interesting mix of days, and the quote is something to think about. We have another week before we can use our pool.  Still getting refinishing material to come off the walls.

Sazerac cocktail:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Rye whiskey or Cognac, 1/4 oz Absinthe, One sugar cube, Three dashes Peychaud's Bitters
Preparation: Rinse a chilled old-fashioned glass with the absinthe, add crushed ice and set it aside. Stir the remaining ingredients over ice and set it aside. Discard the ice and any excess absinthe from the prepared glass, and strain the drink into the glass. Add the Lemon peel for garnish.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon peel

Prayers and congratulations to all of us.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 11

20 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Raising our wine glasses tonight for all on the celebration list as we are glued to the television for the election results.  Be well, stay safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I will be going to our local Beachfront Winery, so I am not tempted to watch TV.  This election is so different for me.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good Tuesday morning.  I will be happy when today is over!!  Interesting mix of days, and the quote is something to think about. We have another week before we can use our pool.  Still getting refinishing material to come off the walls.

Sazerac cocktail:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Rye whiskey or Cognac, 1/4 oz Absinthe, One sugar cube, Three dashes Peychaud's Bitters
Preparation: Rinse a chilled old-fashioned glass with the absinthe, add crushed ice and set it aside. Stir the remaining ingredients over ice and set it aside. Discard the ice and any excess absinthe from the prepared glass, and strain the drink into the glass. Add the Lemon peel for garnish.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon peel

Prayers and congratulations to all of us.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Can I try a sip of yours before I order one? This sounds so very different from anything I have ever tried!

• Like 3

Rich, I want to thank you for the new maps you've been using.  They are more detailed and very interesting for those of us who like to know the ships' movements.  Sorry about your cruise.  I think more will be cancelled as time passes as there is still a lot to do to prepare for safe cruising in the future.  🙄

Today I've already received a text from my 20 year old granddaughter in Ohio who voted for the first time today.  She sent me a photo of herself and her boyfriend wearing masks and holding up their I Voted stickers.  She said the wait in line was only about 20 minutes.  Now I hope the other two young voters in our family text to let me know they've voted too.  

• Like 14

Good morning Rich. That is one nice mapping you have there. Thank you so much!

I am sorry about your cruise. We just feel like if we cancel everything, we still have something to look forward to... after the vaccine is released and working.

Good morning sweet sisters! Ann we were not able to complete our picnic plans due to a unexpected doctor visit, darn it.

Hi sister Deeni. I was so happy to read you were feeling a bit more chipper. I love you girls. We've been the daily rocks..

@cat shepard didn't you show the 2020 slide yesterday?

Roy, I think you are doing a great job of placing prayers and cheers on our Daily. Thanks a million.

So we are wearing our red, white and blue. Having our voters day breakfast soon and Allen thinks he wants peas, ham hocks and corn bread. I'll have chicken. I am so hoping nothing crazy happens today or the next few days. Our nation is so in need of healing. Tonight is a toast to our new president (maybe, of the polls all come in) and a toast to our United States.

God bless ya'll.

image.jpeg.cf11633b6a753d023c9555cfa15d1f05.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I’m not fond of rye so probably won’t be ordering this. 

I concur; if there's only rye to drink, then I become the designated driver.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When I last posted on my 2004 trip I had ended my first rail segment in Irkutsk, Siberia.  I don’t remember it being much of a town, but it is the gateway to Lake Baikal, the largest body of fresh water (by volume) in the world.  It is about a one hour drive from Irkutsk but we made a couple of stops along the way.  The first was a sort of impromptu shrine where (I think I remember correctly) people put up wishes for people as strips of paper

wrld2120.thumb.jpg.0d8ab5cb61b189a432762880bb1f0d83.jpg
Next was a small museum of Baikal culture and wildlife with a few outdoor exhibits.

wrld2140.jpg.edf944324e2cfb460023a658e1295421.jpg

wrld2160.thumb.jpg.bf6fa2be3dcff674df467290a68660e3.jpg

wrld2180.thumb.jpg.7f6b8532aeaae91455e543e5dcec16dd.jpgSoon I got my first view of the lake.

wrld2200.thumb.jpg.aa4d6abbfba648bed9b40c28de2700f0.jpg

It was mostly frozen over but there were a couple spots of open water.  At one point I dipped my fingers into the lake.

wrld2240.thumb.jpg.8d76898d25311db48e546f1b694e475b.jpg

wrld2250.thumb.jpg.3e4c6ea925acf65339b42658800bd02d.jpg

wrld2370.jpg.2f0b6de2fbc06c8ff7e01f06d3efc0b6.jpg

wrld2460.jpg.ef48ebc972dd3a182c249f55874be86f.jpg

Roy

• Like 17

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

When I last posted on my 2004 trip I had ended my first rail segment in Irkutsk, Siberia.  I don’t remember it being much of a town, but it is the gateway to Lake Baikal, the largest body of fresh water (by volume) in the world.  It is about a one hour drive from Irkutsk but we made a couple of stops along the way.  The first was a sort of impromptu shrine where (I think I remember correctly) people put up wishes for people as strips of paper

wrld2120.thumb.jpg.0d8ab5cb61b189a432762880bb1f0d83.jpg
Next was a small museum of Baikal culture and wildlife with a few outdoor exhibits.

wrld2140.jpg.edf944324e2cfb460023a658e1295421.jpg

wrld2160.thumb.jpg.bf6fa2be3dcff674df467290a68660e3.jpg

wrld2180.thumb.jpg.7f6b8532aeaae91455e543e5dcec16dd.jpgSoon I got my first view of the lake.

wrld2200.thumb.jpg.aa4d6abbfba648bed9b40c28de2700f0.jpg

It was mostly frozen over but there were a couple spots of open water.  At one point I dipped my fingers into the lake.

wrld2240.thumb.jpg.8d76898d25311db48e546f1b694e475b.jpg

wrld2250.thumb.jpg.3e4c6ea925acf65339b42658800bd02d.jpg

wrld2370.jpg.2f0b6de2fbc06c8ff7e01f06d3efc0b6.jpg

wrld2460.jpg.ef48ebc972dd3a182c249f55874be86f.jpg

Roy

Thank you Roy for your pictures this am!

I appreciate the time you put in for doing this. Enjoyed reading with my coffee this am!

Denise😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1