River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

notamermaid not sure who you might have seen but like other places we do have some with extreme views of the world.

Just announced today to begin  vaccines for 5-11yr olds next month, good news.

They are sticking to the 6mth plan for boosters/3rd vaccine, would prefer to see that sooner.

Sadly still multiple daily deaths in some states and growing numbers since our state opened its border.

Meanwhile state borders are in various levels of opening and closing with new rules almost daily.

Someone we know is off to Stockholm to see family soon and later to Italy.

we would like to cruise but will wait for boosters, plus vacancies are few.

Stay well.  

Thank you for your reply. Some extreme politician it must have been.

53 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Just announced today to begin  vaccines for 5-11yr olds next month, good news.

The EMA (European Medicines Agency) has done it and Germany is getting ready to "do" that age group when the child vaccine is available. Our regulators took their time thankfully to wait to see if more safety concerns would come in. It is expected that the German regulator and adviser will say yes to the medicine when it arrives. Doctors can give it even without that as the EMA has said yes. I do not agree to giving that to children, the Risk Benefit assessment is key to me, tread with caution even more with children. Anyway...

59 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Meanwhile state borders are in various levels of opening and closing with new rules almost daily.

That sounds confusing and bound to frustrate people.

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

Someone we know is off to Stockholm to see family soon and later to Italy.

we would like to cruise but will wait for boosters, plus vacancies are few.

It is good to see people getting out to see family. I saw a report on a happy reunion in Britain. It has been such a long time for many, many people.

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

Stay well.  

Thank you. Will do. Have a great Christmas.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Advent, Advent, ein Lichtlein brennt. Erst eins, dann zwei 🕯️🕯️...

It has been a difficult week for me mentally but I am trying to keep my Christmas spirits up. Some more decoration in my home has gone up. Now I still need some more batteries for various fairy lights. This week, an errant has taken me to Neuwied and as there was a Christmas market planned I invested a bit more time to go to the town centre. It is not the most spectacular of places, but I remembered the good crepes from a stall of some Russians, so I went there. And the crepes was as good as I remember. I also took a photo of this year's snow globe: DSCN3949.thumb.JPG.88041b4a932ff34360c7b44b3022ea75.JPG

When you go to the market you can.. snip! As in so many other places they closed the market, so there is nothing left to see.

This is one of the huts for children to have a look inside, there were various scenes in them in several that were set up in the shopping streets:

DSCN3955.thumb.JPG.ea1f13afbf66ed0d5f464b0f518b7f34.JPG

It is a great pity. I am sure they looked lovely with all the lights on in the evening.

Look what I saw by chance when I went to the embankment:

DSCN3960.thumb.JPG.e70fa0a8979fa0d4148ee904a7f46b47.JPG

Lucky me had caught the Viking Hild on camera:

DSCN3958.thumb.JPG.2d90b88aca367d0c643e601dcef30efc.JPG

I do not think Viking is likely to dock any time soon in Neuwied, it is not so much an attractive option for the company I would say. But there is something remarkable to say about the town. The enlightened ruler gave his settlement a town charter in 1662. It was based on tolerance and freedom. Some decades later, a successor had extended that to press freedom of the most liberal kind at that time (late 18th century) and asked newspapers to censor themselves, meaning writing in an accurate and fair manner. Until the Prussians came and scrapped that freedom...

Fast forward to the present. It struck me how we are in turmoil right now. Where is that freedom and tolerance? Is it still there? Do I need to be scared of us loosing it?

I have had a look at the Neuwied website and it says that the town (council) celebrated the anniversary of that town charter in 2012. So there is recognition of the importance for the prosperity of that place. It says that the tolerance attracted people persecuted elsewhere.

I thought of you people in the US. Is that not similar to the freedom and pursuit of happiness that is so fundamental to your country?

Watch carefully those who try to take freedom and happiness away. Look after yourselves.

notamermaid

• Like 2

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I have had a look at the Neuwied website and it says that the town (council) celebrated the anniversary of that town charter in 2012. So there is recognition of the importance for the prosperity of that place. It says that the tolerance attracted people persecuted elsewhere.

I thought of you people in the US. Is that not similar to the freedom and pursuit of happiness that is so fundamental to your country?

Watch carefully those who try to take freedom and happiness away. Look after yourselves.

Sadly, the tolerance that has attracted people who are persecuted to our respective countries is decreasing. Although we still attract people, more and more of our leaders and people are less welcoming to newcomers.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:42 AM, Coral said:

I can't believe I did this. I just booked a Princess cruise RT out of LA over Christmas. I had $1500 in FCC and it expires next year so that covered the cost of the cruise. So I basically just had to book air. There was no single supplement on this trip. It goes to San Francisco, San Diego, Cabo.

The ship seems empty. I leave in about 2 weeks. I mentally so need a break.

One of my favorite cruises with my Mom when she was alive was a 10 night cruise to Mexico in 2002 over Christmas (we were limited where she could sail as she had a Seeing Eye dog). We got it for dirt cheap since people were not traveling after 9-11. It was also a last minute cruise that we booked for cheap.

Enjoy! Our Celebrity cruise was so relaxing last month, and it was good to travel again.

I hope (and think) you will get your needed break.

Robin

• Like 1

@Host Jazzbeau noted.

Rereading my post I noticed on Neuwied: I had seriously and honestly forgotten to put into the post - connected to the Viking Hild photo - that I saw that the embankment is ready. All that is needed now is the landing stage that is going a bit out into the navigation channel. So this I may put soon into the thread on Rhine river ports.

9 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Our Celebrity cruise was so relaxing last month, and it was good to travel again.

That must have slipped my mind, I am sure you mentioned this. Where did you go?

notamermaid

42 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Host Jazzbeau noted.

Rereading my post I noticed on Neuwied: I had seriously and honestly forgotten to put into the post - connected to the Viking Hild photo - that I saw that the embankment is ready. All that is needed now is the landing stage that is going a bit out into the navigation channel. So this I may put soon into the thread on Rhine river ports.

That must have slipped my mind, I am sure you mentioned this. Where did you go?

notamermaid

We did a Caribbean cruise, stopping in Cozumel, Roatan and Nassau. It was more about getting away than where we went. The ship (Celebrity Edge) was a destination itself. So different from other ships. And, only 1/3 full! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, acwmom said:

We did a Caribbean cruise, stopping in Cozumel, Roatan and Nassau. It was more about getting away than where we went. The ship (Celebrity Edge) was a destination itself. So different from other ships. And, only 1/3 full! 

I completely agree - it is more about getting away. I hope our ship is that empty. 🙂

I was sort of scared due to COVID but I have been going to work every day and being around people so it can't be that much different, right?

Agree about a cruise ship environment being potentially safer with fully vaccinated people and defined protocols than busy crowded shopping areas.

We are avoiding crowded places at present but would happily go on a cruise, albeit probably one with small numbers of passengers.

Indulging your patience again, the review of my second Noble Caledonia Hebridean Sky cruise (Andalucian Odyssey) is now available on Cruise Critic [link below].  A more detailed day-by-day blog with lots of pictures is available here:  https://jazzbeauxandalucianodysseyblog2021.wordpress.com/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coral said:

I completely agree - it is more about getting away. I hope our ship is that empty. 🙂

I was sort of scared due to COVID but I have been going to work every day and being around people so it can't be that much different, right?

I'm a pediatrician, so I was much better off on the ship! 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, acwmom said:

I'm a pediatrician, so I was much better off on the ship! 

I work in Education - same thing??? Better on the ship? 🙂 Just kidding. You are exposed to far more than just COVID - you have sick kids daily. So thankful for you and your coworkers out there on the front lines!

• Like 4

@Canal archive The mincemeat has arrived for making the mince pies. 🙂

I am already on listening to Mel & Kim Rocking around the Christmas tree, so that is one step away from "Fairy Tale of New York" and reindeer antlers!

And as I am still a traditional German girl, "de Niggelaus" - dialect German for Saint Nicholas - has brought goodies on 6 December.

notamermaid

• Like 2

We ventured into Lidl so Lebkuchen, Stollen and a few other German goodies added to the Christmas menu. House decorated, tree tomorrow, just finished sorting which of my ‘Spode Christmas Tree’ I need to get out of the cupboard. Ohhh starting to feel quite festive!

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Indulging your patience again, the review of my second Noble Caledonia Hebridean Sky cruise (Andalucian Odyssey) is now available on Cruise Critic [link below].  A more detailed day-by-day blog with lots of pictures is available here:  https://jazzbeauxandalucianodysseyblog2021.wordpress.com/

Fantastic review! I studied in Spain in 1967 and did some travel by car in 1973,  visiting some of these places. But now I’ve added this trip to the bucket list. Would so much like to return. Thanks for the blog.

• Thanks 1

Advent, Advent, ein Lichtlein brennt. Erst eins, dann zwei, dann drei 🕯️ 🕯️  🕯️ ...

Last weekend it was time to try out the bottle of wine that I had bought locally and I had promised to @jpalbny I would get back to after I had dismantled my Autumn display. A Gewürztraminer from Alsace.

It was fruity with quite a bit of body and a hint of lychee (I had no idea you could have that in wine, but it was in the palette, definitely, like the label suggested). A well rounded wine with just a touch too much being on the sweet side if you like dry Gewürztraminer. For me, well worth the price I had paid.

I looked for Cléebourg and that vineyard on the map. It is close to the German border and quite a way from the Rhine, about an hour’s drive. Not ideal to visit from a river cruise. Oh well, there are others, many others, closer for you to try. :classic_smile:

The interesting thing is that this is a cave vinicole – that means a cooperative of vintners. That reminded me that I had bought the wine from a Raiffeisen market, so no coincidence as those markets are also cooperatives! They have their roots in the ideas of Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen who had lived in the Westerwald hills Northeast of Koblenz in the 19th century, a poor area away from the economic centres of the Rhine valley. You will not find these markets right in city centres but you can spot them in more rural parts away from the Rhine and the other river cruising rivers in Germany. There is one in Worms on the Rhine and one in Winningen on the Moselle, only a few other place names would ring a bell with you folks, I think.

The ideas of Raiffeisen have spread to France not just in agriculture: the banks Credit Mutuel sound familiar? They are ubiquitous in Alsace and are based on the cooperative idea. In Canada the idea was taken up by Alphonse Desjardin.

If you are interested: https://www.ica.coop/en/friedrich-wilhelm-raiffeisen

A page therein says that 12 percent of humanity is organized as/a member of one of the cooperatives worldwide. And I am also a member of one, a Volksbank (people's bank) an organization close to Raiffeisen ideals. Perhaps you are part of one or have such a cooperative near you but never realized it was one. The coop shops in Britain are similar in their goal but do not have the same origin.

I had strangely never looked round the shop much before, but those few weeks ago decided to get more than just garden soil. It was twenty minutes well spent as I have learnt some more social history about the area I live in, but perhaps even more importantly I have found an additional place where to get a good bottle of wine beyond the large supermarkets. I am back to my standard red right now, but another trip to that Raiffeisen market is already planned.

Cheers!

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May I start a new tangent here at the water cooler?

As we are now in the Christmas season and many of us are unpacking decorations,  show us a favourite ornament,  preferably one you purchased during your river cruises. 

These metal balls were made in Linz , and purchased during our Grand Christmas and New Years cruise with Uniworld. 

RB 

20211212_175357.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Last weekend it was time to try out the bottle of wine that I had bought locally and I had promised to @jpalbny I would get back to after I had dismantled my Autumn display. A Gewürztraminer from Alsace.

Thanks for the report! And quite a coincidence, as you were posting your tasting notes, we were enjoying a Gewürztraminer from Alsace as well. They are very flavorful. We served it with a roasted chicken.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

They are very flavorful. We served it with a roasted chicken.

Yes, I feel a Gewürztraminer always needs strong food with it, or rather the food should not be light, like salads. I forgot to mention in my post that I had chosen a pork with gravy dish. It worked well together.

Wish I could go to Alsace now. But even a day trip is not possible now, the family car has broken down. Something with the water pump. There go another 100 euros (at least)...

notamermaid

On 12/12/2021 at 6:04 PM, Ritabob said:

May I start a new tangent here at the water cooler?

As we are now in the Christmas season and many of us are unpacking decorations,  show us a favourite ornament,  preferably one you purchased during your river cruises. 

These metal balls were made in Linz , and purchased during our Grand Christmas and New Years cruise with Uniworld. 

RB 

20211212_175357.jpg

This one was bought on our first December in Rothenburg we stayed at the Romantic Hotel Markusturm before a river cruise from Nuremberg to Vienna. 

0-74.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 12:04 AM, Ritabob said:

Thank you Rita, lovely idea. The balls remind me of something I have seen in a decoration shop here recently. But yours look better, a bit rougher and handmade. The little thicker bits make them look welded. Really nice. Do you decorate them with some lights? I am sure that would sparkle attractively. And what a magical cruise that was I am sure.

As my river cruise was in Spring I did not buy things like that. In Linz I purchased a classical CD and had some Linzer Torte (the cake). Interesting city.

notamermaid