Did you have to pay the cancellation fee?

Woodfaerie

I am seriously contemplating cancelling the 1st leg  ( 4 day) of my B2B scheduled for mid April out of Miami.  If I am one of the lucky ones to even be able to cruise, I just think the  chances of the CDC allowing B2B is slim to nothing  (2nd leg a 5 day) and I am tired of having so much money tied up with cancellations and reschedules.  I understand how it works if Carnival is the one to cancel but has anyone cancelled of their own accord and bypassed that cancellation fee without rebooking?

9 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

I am seriously contemplating cancelling the 1st leg  ( 4 day) of my B2B scheduled for mid April out of Miami.  If I am one of the lucky ones to even be able to cruise, I just think the  chances of the CDC allowing B2B is slim to nothing  (2nd leg a 5 day) and I am tired of having so much money tied up with cancellations and reschedules.  I understand how it works if Carnival is the one to cancel but has anyone cancelled of their own accord and bypassed that cancellation fee without rebooking?

You should just call Carnival and ask to reschedule for a later cruise.  Most of the cruise lines will allow you to rebook without penalty.

• Like 1

Best thing to do is to call Carnival and get the answer from them, then you can make an informed decision. When I booked our 2/2022 cruise I made sure that it was during a time of reduced deposit so if we did end up having to cancel our loss would be minimal.

• Like 1

Carnival canceled my Hawaii cruise so I moved the deposit from that one to a cruise in April 2021. I canceled the April cruise last month and was refunded my deposit without any cancelation fees. My PVP explained that because I was canceling a cruise with a deposit from a cruise Carnival had canceled I was entitled to a refunded with no cancelation fees.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

Our travel mates cancelled theirs and lost the deposit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since your B2B is against the rules until November 1, 2021 with the CDC, how can Carnival possibly charge you a cancellation fee if you comply with the CDC and cancel the first leg?

9 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

If you voluntarily canceled your reservation, why do you feel that you shouldn’t be held accountable and bound against the cancellation policy you agreed to when reserving your cruise? They absolutely should not waive it.

Since the OP currently has a B2B consisting of 9 days in duration, he/she is in direct violation of the CDC rule against cruises of 7+ days that is in effect until November 1, 2021.  The OP would have to cancel either of their two legs to remain compliant with the CDC ruling.  How could Carnival then not waive the cancellation fee? 

I fully agree with xDisconnections post under normal circumstances, but things need to be adjusted because of the CDC ruling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since the OP currently has a B2B consisting of 9 days in duration, he/she is in direct violation of the CDC rule against cruises of 7+ days that is in effect until November 1, 2021.  The OP would have to cancel either of their two legs to remain compliant with the CDC ruling.  How could Carnival then not waive the cancellation fee? 

I fully agree with xDisconnections post under normal circumstances, but things need to be adjusted because of the CDC ruling.

Agree — other cruise lines, such as Princess, have started the process to handle B2B reservations. Until Carnival moves forward with their procedure and states B2B cruises will not be permitted, it’s still a voluntary cancellation. In OP’s case, I’d play the waiting game as Carnival would be reaching out sometime soon. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Agree — other cruise lines, such as Princess, have started the process to handle B2B reservations. Until Carnival moves forward with their procedure and states B2B cruises will not be permitted, it’s still a voluntary cancellation. In OP’s case, I’d play the waiting game as Carnival would be reaching out sometime soon. 

Are you actually implying that Carnival is not the trailblazer that the pom pom wavers on the boards state that they are?  That Carnival is still wading in the shallow end while their competitors have been swimming in the deep end for over a decade.  Please tell me that's not true. 😉

21 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Are you actually implying that Carnival is not the trailblazer that the pom pom wavers on the boards state that they are?  That Carnival is still wading in the shallow end while their competitors have been swimming in the deep end for over a decade.  Please tell me that's not true. 😉

Nah. Carnival is life. There is no company more competent than Carnival. It’s absolutely perfect in every way. 

On 12/5/2020 at 1:28 AM, SNJCruisers said:

Since your B2B is against the rules until November 1, 2021 with the CDC, how can Carnival possibly charge you a cancellation fee if you comply with the CDC and cancel the first leg?

I looked up the CDC ruling and it states that there can be no itinerary longer than 7 days.  Though these are back to backs totaling 9 days, neither falls into a 7 day or longer category as they are 2 distinct shorter sailings.  So many fine lines.

Edited by Woodfaerie
additional reply
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 2:19 PM, xDisconnections said:

Thank you. I was not aware of this CDC ruling.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 8:53 AM, fyree39 said:

We cancelled one cruise and lost the deposit. Not everyone's story will be the same, so you need to call Carnival and see what they tell you. I'm assuming you booked early saver?

Yes, I booked early saver but the other half of my family did not. We are both going to call and see if we get the same response.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, xDisconnections said:

If you voluntarily canceled your reservation, why do you feel that you shouldn’t be held accountable and bound against the cancellation policy you agreed to when reserving your cruise? They absolutely should not waive it.

This cancellation policy was established pre-covid. I am very aware that it's been around forever.  Airlines, hotels, etc are accommodating travelers with covid related cancellations. Though I hope, I don't expect CCL  to, I merely asked if anyone had an experience that would relate to my potential decision.

19 minutes ago, Woodfaerie said:

This cancellation policy was established pre-covid. I am very aware that it's been around forever.  Airlines, hotels, etc are accommodating travelers with covid related cancellations. Though I hope, I don't expect CCL  to, I merely asked if anyone had an experience that would relate to my potential decision.

Yes and no. Most voluntary cancellation waivers that provided full refunds were done at the beginning of the pandemic and waiving change fees isn’t the same as a refund. At this point, we should have a general idea of the risks involved going forward. Pre-pandemic or not, a contract is a contract.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:28 AM, SNJCruisers said:

So, we have a 15 day cruise leaving 04/05/21 with final payment due 01/05.  You're saying we won't lose the deposit if we cancel before final payment? Just quote the CDC rule to Carnival?

2 hours ago, nissach said:

We cancelled our March 28, 2021 cruise on Panorama just last week just a few days prior to final payment date.  We were refunded the full amount no cancellation fee charged against us.

Ya im booked on that March 27th cruise too but im waiting for it to be cancelled as its fully paid for with all the extras to boot and i just dont want to deal with the changes and refunds etc etc at the moment.  Even though im pretty sure that it wont go ahead since its not on the list of startup ports that i am aware of.  Already have a Nov Cruise out of Port Canaveral booked to move everything over to once its cancelled.  Going to push real hard that they transfer my cheers this time instead of refunding it so i have to repurchase it again (3rd time).

On 12/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, kdr69 said:

Ya im booked on that March 27th cruise too but im waiting for it to be cancelled as its fully paid for with all the extras to boot and i just dont want to deal with the changes and refunds etc etc at the moment.  Even though im pretty sure that it wont go ahead since its not on the list of startup ports that i am aware of.  Already have a Nov Cruise out of Port Canaveral booked to move everything over to once its cancelled.  Going to push real hard that they transfer my cheers this time instead of refunding it so i have to repurchase it again (3rd time).

Good luck!  I hope it all works out for you.  We just decided we wanted our money refunded and will book a cruise sometime in the future when all is safe again.  Also, I am very limited to travel dates as I am a teacher so it was just the best decision for us.  It was tough to give up that $600.00 OBC 😬

• Like 1