Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

16 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Broward County website finally fixed and I was able to get an appointment for January 12. Just went back in to try and help my neighbor get an appointment and January is completely booked, appointments start second week of February. Does not look like you have to be a Broward resident, so if anyone is interested and needs the website, just google Broward Covid Vaccine. 

Brevard County has set up an email address to contact since the phone system crashed earlier.

URGENT BREVARD VACCINE UPDATE:
The phone system at the Department of Health in Brevard County has crashed, probably due to the extreme number of calls coming in as folks try to get scheduled for COVID vaccinations starting Monday, January 4.
I have worked with the DOH to secure an email address that folks can email to get a call back to schedule a vaccination. If you are 65+ or a healthcare worker who provides direct patient care and is not part of a hospital system, you can email CHD05.webmaster@flhealth.gov
Be sure to provide your name, a phone number, and how you qualify (either 65+ or a qualified health care worker).
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

So the hotels, bars, restaurants, gift shops, and other touristy attractions don't have to pay any taxes to the county?  This is an honest question. In Tax-happy NY, pretty much every taxing jurisdiction - state, city, county, town, library, fire dept, etc get a slice of the money pie, whether it comes from a resident or tourist.

Also add to that the hotel tax which practically every city/municipality has added which goes into their coffers. 

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Besides, is this a critical issue?  Are there many people there on a long weekend or week-long vacation trying to cut the line to get vaccinated? When I'm on vacation, the last place I'm going is o the doctors office.

To further your point; if people are off vacationing during a pandemic, what are the chances that they are the ones worried about getting Covid. They aren’t staying home where it is “safer”, so why would they waste their time standing in line for a vaccine when they could be hitting the beach or Disney etc...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Also add to that the hotel tax which practically every city/municipality has added which goes into their coffers. 

To further your point; if people are off vacationing during a pandemic, what are the chances that they are the ones worried about getting Covid. They aren’t staying home where it is “safer”, so why would they waste their time standing in line for a vaccine when they could be hitting the beach or Disney etc...

Not to mention possibly have a day or two feeling a bit off from the vaccine while on vacation.

• Like 2

I totally have lost my cruisin vibe.

I see no end to this hysteria and I see no solution.  

Let's face it, you get the vaccine, you follow protocol, YOU ARE HUMAN, you WILL get sick.  Nothing is guaranteed against GETTING SICK. Once you get sick, it is reported. OMG!  "We have a COVID CASE ON BOARD!"  Everything gets shut down again.  

Unless cruise lines build SMALLER ships with LESS passengers to LESSEN the statistics of someone getting sick, cruising as we know it is OVER. 

Face the reality, IT IS OVER.   Why?  Because we live in a pandemic of hysteria and fear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

As with all tourist destinations, visitors use resources that have been funded by local tax payers. The trade off  is the money those visitors inject into the local economy. Hopefully, in the long run the tourists leave more money behind than the cost of the resources that they use.

Right now the tourists are bringing in a bit more than money....

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

I saw on the news that a husband and wife each tried to call over 100 times and got nowhere.  Our county is starting for those over 65 WITHOUT a reservation.  What a cluster that is going to be.  Only 2 days Monday and Tuesday 1000 each day

Yikes....more miles of long lines waiting...just like the Covid test lines.  😞 

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

People in Lee County waited in line overnight to get the vaccine the next day.  Now Lee County is “working on an online reservation system”.  I did see that taking a folding chair with us when our turn comes might be a really good idea. 

The three sites in Broward County are all drive-through sites. I am hoping that will make it easier to navigate. 

I'm definitely losing some of my enthusiasm for cruising the longer this goes on. Initially, I was emotionally invested in using the FCC from our canceled April 2020 cruise as soon as possible. I applied the credit to a cruise in April 2021 but later decided to push it out to December 2021. I'm finding that, while it would stink to be out the money if NCL goes under, I just don't care as much as I did early on. The only other cruise we've booked is a DCL cruise in 2022, and only because it's a unique itinerary (for them). I'm not going to book anything else until things are more or less back to normal.

In the meantime, we got a nice travel fix with a 7-day land trip to St. Thomas over Christmas. It was amazing, and I highly recommend the USVIs for anyone contemplating travel in the near future!

7 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Brevard County announced yesterday they had received a shipment from Moderna and would start vaccinations on Monday by appointment only.  Problem is, they are made by phone. Every time we called yesterday we got a message saying no one was available and the mailbox was full.  You could press 1 if you wanted to speak to someone and when you did that, you got a busy signal and then were disconnected.  Facebook was full of complaints about it.  It might be easier to camp out.

Sherri🙂

My 87 yo Mom finally got through yesterday. After all the tries, she was told she would need a referral from her PCP. She is on blood thinners and a history of Afib and she thinks she had CV19 last November/December. No telling what she told them to set off the referral thing. 

35 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My 87 yo Mom finally got through yesterday. After all the tries, she was told she would need a referral from her PCP. She is on blood thinners and a history of Afib and she thinks she had CV19 last November/December. No telling what she told them to set off the referral thing

I suspect the blood thinners.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

In our area, local vaccines for general public 65+ begins today.  First come first serve, 1000 a day until they run out (they have enough for the second injection). People started camping out yesterday. It’s crazy. I’ll wait until I can get an appointment. 

I signed up with the VA to get mine when available. I saw my VA PCP yesterday and I knew more about the process than he did. 

M8

You have to be kidding me. These people are going to get Covid waiting on line for the vaccine. I don't wait in lines on a good day.  When I go for blood work I make an appointment and people who have been waiting get pissed because I stroll right in. The same thing when I get my flu shot at the drugstore. I'll wait until NYU calls me to schedule an appointment. I made it this long. I can wait a few weeks.  My father is trying to get it through the VA as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My 87 yo Mom finally got through yesterday. After all the tries, she was told she would need a referral from her PCP. She is on blood thinners and a history of Afib and she thinks she had CV19 last November/December. No telling what she told them to set off the referral thing. 

I hope that referral gets her in a different line for vaccines as the Brevard County appointments are now full for the first vaccine shipment.  I have been following Brevard as that is where my Mom lives when she is in Florida.  Not sure if you follow Randy Fine of FB but he has been posting about it.

BREAKING: Unfortunately, all Florida Department of Health - Brevard appointments are now filled for the first vaccine shipment. My understanding is they will reopen once they know more is coming.
Separately, I am working to try to get additional vaccine into Brevard and more options for vaccination. Will share information should I make progress.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Yikes....more miles of long lines waiting...just like the Covid test lines.  😞 

Just heard on the news that now Lake County is going to switch to no appointments just first come first serve due to the fact that their phone lines can't take all the traffic  YIKES

• Like 1

I am willing to wait until I can easily make an appointment to get my shot.  I am not patient enough to keep calling a number or wait in a long line.  My husband will be in some other group anyway since he is a healthy under 65 year old.  Until then we will just continue on.  Going out to eat tonight.  Maybe by next summer we can plan a trip.

All of this talk is showing me how fortunate my hospital staff is. Make an appointment through the hospital computer system then show up at the correct time. No lines or waiting around other than for 15 minutes after the shot.

It will be interesting to see how RI rolls this out to the general public.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I suspect the blood thinners.

My thoughts as well, but when I asked the boss, she said she didn’t recall blood thinners on the list of required PCP referral???  She is not really following that closely but is getting requests from patients who said their PCP told them to get her to provide a referral. It’s not for those 65+ but those with existing conditions that are not on the current tier level. Most everyone wants the vaccine. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

You have to be kidding me. These people are going to get Covid waiting on line for the vaccine. I don't wait in lines on a good day.  When I go for blood work I make an appointment and people who have been waiting get pissed because I stroll right in. The same thing when I get my flu shot at the drugstore. I'll wait until NYU calls me to schedule an appointment. I made it this long. I can wait a few weeks.  My father is trying to get it through the VA as well.

Outside and in cars. We don’t have your cold weather. 

Most counties are by appointment only. Ours is not. I’m going to wait on the VA or when they offer appointments. 

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

I hope that referral gets her in a different line for vaccines as the Brevard County appointments are now full for the first vaccine shipment.  I have been following Brevard as that is where my Mom lives when she is in Florida.  Not sure if you follow Randy Fine of FB but he has been posting about it.

BREAKING: Unfortunately, all Florida Department of Health - Brevard appointments are now filled for the first vaccine shipment. My understanding is they will reopen once they know more is coming.
Separately, I am working to try to get additional vaccine into Brevard and more options for vaccination. Will share information should I make progress.

Thanks. When I tried the 211 system it recognizes my phone as in Volusia/Flagler. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LisaLisa87 said:

......In the meantime, we got a nice travel fix with a 7-day land trip to St. Thomas over Christmas. It was amazing, and I highly recommend the USVIs for anyone contemplating travel in the near future!

🙄