Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

I miss cruising. I miss, right after the cruise, looking for my next cruise. With everything up in the air, it's hard to look foward to it -- 3 cancelled cruises this year, August 2021 and Dec 2021 are booked but not having high hopes (at least for August). 

On 12/23/2020 at 12:10 PM, firefly333 said:

Yes I'm still dying to cruise. There was a time early on I thought cruises would resume with the new protocols and I probably would be vaccinated early because of my age. I never thought there would be a big chance my april cruise would be cancelled which I think now. I'm frustrated that people now seem to expect it to be 100% safe, which will never happen. Norovirus didnt stop cruises, but cdc and covid have.  I have 0 confidence that when I'm vaccinated I can board a cruise out of the usa. My frustration level is very high. People say no that's wrong, it's not enough to be vaccinated and test negative now herd immunity has to also be reached. The bar to restart keeps moving.  I fear it will never be reached what the cdc wants. Always just out of reach. 

Naive I guess to think the protocols would be enough, and me being vaccinated..or so I'm told. I hear what about the crew and what about the ports, it's not enough you are safe, always some other thing preventing thoughts of starting up. Now people want the ports safe too, it feels like there will never be enough safety for cruises to restart. Now its but the other countries where the ports are isnt safe, they don't have enough vaccine.  I've never been this negative on cruises restarting, as it seems nothing will ever be enough.

Hearing nothing about restarting from the cruiselines isnt a positive sign. So now vaccinated isn't enough its herd immunity.. everywhere? Even in ports? Btw I was a child but dont remember the polio vaccine roll out being forever, it was here take it done, over. Getting this vaccine clearly isnt enough to suit the powers that control cruising. 

I agree firefly33. And now that the vaccines are starting to roll out, they are locking down again because of a new strain! My cruising enthusiasm is not diminishing, but I am not as hopeful as I was months ago. My next cruise booking is for May. I hope to get the vaccine before then and will sail even with the restrictions. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, HBE4 said:

+1.

Agreed. Covid numbers are going up everywhere. 

Besides,  people complaining about Florida's numbers rising now apparently have not been paying attention for the past 6 months.  I would say state politics plays a bigger role than number of tourists, but that would just get this thread deleted. 😇

I would agree. It's nice that there are limited restrictions but be prepared to suffer the consequences. My son and daughter in law drove to Florida on Christmas day. They both had covid in February. They have no idea if they still have the antibodies. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would agree. It's nice that there are limited restrictions but be prepared to suffer the consequences. My son and daughter in law drove to Florida on Christmas day. They both had covid in February. They have no idea if they still have the antibodies. 

More doom and gloom for Florida?  We are enjoying our open State and hospitalizations are down for Snowbird Season. Available ICU beds are up. Starting today, vaccines rolling out for those over 65. 

Be responsible for yourself. We are. 

M8

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

According to my sister, the antibodies last about 3 months max.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

I agree firefly33. And now that the vaccines are starting to roll out, they are locking down again because of a new strain! My cruising enthusiasm is not diminishing, but I am not as hopeful as I was months ago. My next cruise booking is for May. I hope to get the vaccine before then and will sail even with the restrictions. 

Haven't lost my enthusiasm, and am just wanting to get back even more the longer it takes.  But now that vaccines are coming, I am more hopeful.  Will definitely be more comfortable cruising when people are vaccinated vs just following protocols of masks, testing and social distancing.  The latter is still playing roulette and hoping a case doesn't pop up.  I just think it will take longer for cruising to start up again...but with it in the picture sometime, I feel hopeful that eventually we will get back on a cruise.  I can't wait (but will).  What I do find that happens though is that although we have some booked and we will wait for final payment to cancel, that we know it will be cancelled (eg. pretty sure our August cruise won't happen).

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Sure hope the vaccine lasts longer. 

M8

Will be a lot of questions during this first roll out I am sure.  

I am one of the "over 65 group"..plus have asthma, heart condition, and take meds for blood pressure.  Not sure when I will be able to get appointment for the vaccine. 

Sister lives in different county, 2 hours south.  Her area is just now getting the vaccines, she is due for her shot tomorrow.  She waved off the Xmas eve. opportunity she had, due to not being home 21 days from then for the follow up shot.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Haven't lost my enthusiasm, and am just wanting to get back even more the longer it takes.  But now that vaccines are coming, I am more hopeful.  Will definitely be more comfortable cruising when people are vaccinated vs just following protocols of masks, testing and social distancing.  The latter is still playing roulette and hoping a case doesn't pop up.  I just think it will take longer for cruising to start up again...but with it in the picture sometime, I feel hopeful that eventually we will get back on a cruise.  I can't wait (but will).  What I do find that happens though is that although we have some booked and we will wait for final payment to cancel, that we know it will be cancelled (eg. pretty sure our August cruise won't happen).

Just a guess here...but IMHO...the ships will probably be requiring proof of vaccination.  Not uncommon at all to international travelers.  DH used to have to carry an updated vaccination card to present when traveling to other countries.  I had one as well, kept it tucked into my passport.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

More doom and gloom for Florida?  We are enjoying our open State and hospitalizations are down for Snowbird Season. Available ICU beds are up. Starting today, vaccines rolling out for those over 65. 

Most of the Doom and Gloom Florida posts seem to be coming from your fellow Floridians. I have seen multiple posts on several threads about how The Great Migrations of Northern Tourist are/will cause numbers to spike.

So, which is it? Things are better or getting worse?

EDIT" My personal opinion, and not just for Florida but everywhere, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train. But there are  a few potholes along the way first.  You know: the whole darkest before dawn saying.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

Just a guess here...but IMHO...the ships will probably be requiring proof of vaccination.  Not uncommon at all to international travelers.  DH used to have to carry an updated vaccination card to present when traveling to other countries.  I had one as well, kept it tucked into my passport.  

I agree...and kind of hope they do.  It will be awhile for us as we have kids where vaccines aren't even approved for them yet. Plus, DH and I will be at the bottom of the list  (plus in Canada so also have the borders opening up for personal travel), but still think ships should require it with covid shutting down the world.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Most of the Doom and Gloom Florida posts seem to be coming from your fellow Floridians. I have seen multiple posts on several threads about how The Great Migrations of Northern Tourist are/will cause numbers to spike.

EDIT" My personal opinion, and not just for Florida but everywhere, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train. But there are  a few potholes along the way first.  You know: the whole darkest before dawn saying.

Great points and you’re probably right. Many in Florida would have preferred the Snowbirds stay home this year. However, there seems to be a mass exodus from the NE to Florida and other States to have Florida as their permanent residence. 

Our numbers are high. There are long lines to get tested. However, other than a couple of pockets, the hospitals are fine. Most people recover at home. CV19 has made its run through my family and MANY of our friends. It’s really odd how CV19 picks and chooses who it infects and who it makes sick. 

The statistics seem to indicate that less than 2% can attribute their infection to indoor dining. 

We are not being Reckless and agree it’s real, however, we are being responsible for us. IMO, shutting down everything is far more worse than the virus. We can probably agree to disagree. 

Soon we can expect the doomsdayers to come on here and talk about the deaths. No death is good but most have other issues. 

My two cents. 

M8

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I agree...and kind of hope they do.  It will be awhile for us as we have kids where vaccines aren't even approved for them yet. Plus, DH and I will be at the bottom of the list  (plus in Canada so also have the borders opening up for personal travel), but still think ships should require it with covid shutting down the world.

Totally agree.  Their house...their rules.  And I am all for it.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Still need to keep following the rules/suggestions from CDC.  Will be months before we can see any positive results and Covid numbers going down. (IMHO).  

Loved the quote I heard a few days ago:   "When you are in battle, and you can hear the Cavalry coming to the rescue...you don't stop shooting".   

• Like 5

DH and I have (temporarily) lost the desire to cruise. We took the $ refunded from our Nov cruise and went to Las Vegas. It was the first time we’d been there and we spent most days in the National parks. We also had reservations at fine dining restaurants. Had to wear face masks everywhere in Vegas, but not when we were hiking in the desert.

Now we are waiting to see if our March cruise will be canceled. We had just made the final payment when other cruise lines canceled through the end of March. If it is, we will use the $ to fly to Missouri later in the summer where we will be picking up a puppy.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It’s really odd how CV19 picks and chooses who it infects and who it makes sick. 

M8

You are so right about that. There really is no rhyme or reason to it. Though we think we know what predisposes someone to have a more severe case the exceptions are many.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MalteseMama2 said:

DH and I have (temporarily) lost the desire to cruise. We took the $ refunded from our Nov cruise and went to Las Vegas. It was the first time we’d been there and we spent most days in the National parks. We also had reservations at fine dining restaurants. Had to wear face masks everywhere in Vegas, but not when we were hiking in the desert.

Now we are waiting to see if our March cruise will be canceled. We had just made the final payment when other cruise lines canceled through the end of March. If it is, we will use the $ to fly to Missouri later in the summer where we will be picking up a puppy.

Have you considered Branson. I am not all that religious and much of the music does have religious overtones, but good music is good music. I've been seeing some great deals for Branson. I didnt like the magic show and some others, but all the music shows were awesome. ..but then I dont care for magic shows onboard ships either. I guess I've seen too many., its nice to see good groups in small venues.