Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

On 12/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, ShmuelCharlie said:

How do you get to book President's Cruises? Are they offered to only the top tier C&A Society Members or do you have to read the various C&A newsletters to know when and how soon to book? So far, I've read in CC itself about a President's cruise aboard an Oasis class ship that had both RCG Chairperson RIchard Fein and CEO Michael Bailey aboard; what are they like in person? Approachable or distant?  

On two and don’t recall seeing or hearing that Richard Fain was onboard. Michael Bailey was out and about and participated in the “Presidents Excursions “ while sailing out of Barcelona on Freedom. 

In our opinion, the 2017 President’s Cruise on Freedom out of Barcelona was over the top. Only 31 Pinnacles onboard. For us, staying in a Suite, the 2018 Presidents Cruise on Harmony was a huge letdown. 

M8

A039DA54-73CB-4306-B431-F2FE644E3181.jpeg

2104CFB7-5316-47D6-984F-6B9859F1A949.jpeg

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 7:17 PM, ReneeFLL said:

That poor employee gets a work out with that job. I would hope they switch out employees occasionally. It doesn’t look as fun as I thought it would. What did you think about it?

Yes, that attendant was tiny, she was packed with weight in her pants to keep people down and in control.........it was really fun though, worse part of it was just suiting up , it was hot. I would do it again though if on a ship again that had it.

• Like 1

Yes I'm still dying to cruise. There was a time early on I thought cruises would resume with the new protocols and I probably would be vaccinated early because of my age. I never thought there would be a big chance my april cruise would be cancelled which I think now. I'm frustrated that people now seem to expect it to be 100% safe, which will never happen. Norovirus didnt stop cruises, but cdc and covid have.  I have 0 confidence that when I'm vaccinated I can board a cruise out of the usa. My frustration level is very high. People say no that's wrong, it's not enough to be vaccinated and test negative now herd immunity has to also be reached. The bar to restart keeps moving.  I fear it will never be reached what the cdc wants. Always just out of reach. 

Naive I guess to think the protocols would be enough, and me being vaccinated..or so I'm told. I hear what about the crew and what about the ports, it's not enough you are safe, always some other thing preventing thoughts of starting up. Now people want the ports safe too, it feels like there will never be enough safety for cruises to restart. Now its but the other countries where the ports are isnt safe, they don't have enough vaccine.  I've never been this negative on cruises restarting, as it seems nothing will ever be enough.

Hearing nothing about restarting from the cruiselines isnt a positive sign. So now vaccinated isn't enough its herd immunity.. everywhere? Even in ports? Btw I was a child but dont remember the polio vaccine roll out being forever, it was here take it done, over. Getting this vaccine clearly isnt enough to suit the powers that control cruising. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes I'm still dying to cruise. There was a time early on I thought cruises would resume with the new protocols and I probably would be vaccinated early because of my age. I never thought there would be a big chance my april cruise would be cancelled which I think now. I'm frustrated that people now seem to expect it to be 100% safe, which will never happen. Norovirus didnt stop cruises, but cdc and covid have.  I have 0 confidence that when I'm vaccinated I can board a cruise out of the usa. My frustration level is very high. People say no that's wrong, it's not enough to be vaccinated and test negative now herd immunity has to also be reached. The bar to restart keeps moving.  I fear it will never be reached what the cdc wants. Always just out of reach. 

Naive I guess to think the protocols would be enough, and me being vaccinated..or so I'm told. I hear what about the crew and what about the ports, it's not enough you are safe, always some other thing preventing thoughts of starting up. Now people want the ports safe too, it feels like there will never be enough safety for cruises to restart. Now its but the other countries where the ports are isnt safe, they don't have enough vaccine.  I've never been this negative on cruises restarting, as it seems nothing will ever be enough.

Hearing nothing about restarting from the cruiselines isnt a positive sign. So now vaccinated isn't enough its herd immunity.. everywhere? Even in ports? Btw I was a child but dont remember the polio vaccine roll out being forever, it was here take it done, over. Getting this vaccine clearly isnt enough to suit the powers that control cruising. 

I know.  Remember 15 days, then 30 days, then masks, then cancel all holidays.  The goal post keep moving.  I think for my family we will have to just enjoy living in Florida where things are relatively normal and we are close to a beach for a long time.  Maybe a road trip to South Dakota once it warms up - it is a long drive but the Black Hills are beautiful and South Dakota is relatively normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:18 PM, ShmuelCharlie said:

I think I would enjoy the NorthStar and bumper cars, but the last time I did the latter was at an area carnival last year, and i didn't care for the constant bumping of that big bar in front of me into my chest--painful! Are the cars new rather than the old ones used at carnivals? How many people were doing the trapeze? I think that would be scarier than iFly, but being upside down is scarier for me if I did iFly. 

I did the trapeze, there were about 15 of us lined up to do it.  I just swung back and forth, my hip would not let me swing up and over!  I was 64 at the time so I was proud.  Ifly was one and done for me, I couldn’t relax enough.

I have definitely lost some of my enthusiasm for cruising. For the past five plus years my wife and I have never gone longer than 90 days between cruises. Now we are rolling towards a year without a cruise and right now I don’t think it looks promising for cruising to resume any time in the distant future from the US. 

We had 5 RCI cruises cancelled this year and already had 2 Celebrity cruises cancelled in 2021. We have cruises booked on RCI in May, July, September and October. My current expectation is all 4 of these cruises will eventually be cancelled. This pandemic has definitely had a big impact on my cruise addiction, and life without cruising is better than I expected. It helps living in Florida where life has been somewhat normal since early in the Summer. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Keksie said:

I know.  Remember 15 days, then 30 days, then masks, then cancel all holidays.  The goal post keep moving.  I think for my family we will have to just enjoy living in Florida we are relatively normal here things and we are close to a beach for a long time.  Maybe a road trip to South Dakota once it warms up - it is a long drive but the Black Hills are beautiful and South Dakota is relatively normal.

Relatively normal now...but when all the seasonals and tourists flood in?  😮 

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Relatively normal now...but when all the seasonals and tourists flood in?  😮 

We were at the beach yesterday and saw many groups of extended families/friends.  It was obvious they were vacationing here, based on the number of people in the upper-sixties degree water 😂.   It was nice to see so many people enjoying the beach on a beautiful day, but the sad part was wondering where all those people came from and where they stopped on the way here.  How many of them carried the virus to us?

9 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We were at the beach yesterday and saw many groups of extended families/friends.  It was obvious they were vacationing here, based on the number of people in the upper-sixties degree water 😂.   It was nice to see so many people enjoying the beach on a beautiful day, but the sad part was wondering where all those people came from and where they stopped on the way here.  How many of them carried the virus to us?

Exactly my worry.  With Covid numbers skyrocketing...not going down...hospitals at capacity with overworked/exhausted health care workers, and CDC warning people to stay home for the holidays.  Do they?  😞 

Edited by island lady

Just now, bouhunter said:

Uh, the virus is EVERYWHERE.   Carrying it to different states is no longer relevant.

But the number of contacts they had while traveling and the increased number of people in the area we live in is relevant to the increased number of opportunities for our exposure.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Uh, the virus is EVERYWHERE.   Carrying it to different states is no longer relevant.

+1.

Agreed. Covid numbers are going up everywhere. 

Besides,  people complaining about Florida's numbers rising now apparently have not been paying attention for the past 6 months.  I would say state politics plays a bigger role than number of tourists, but that would just get this thread deleted. 😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

It helps living in Florida where life has been somewhat normal since early in the Summer

I love my home State. It’s great to be open. Praises go to our Governor. He also just put out a vaccine schedule contrary to many Northern locked down States. Vaccinating 65 and over after first responders and LTC facilities.

M8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

+1.

Agreed. Covid numbers are going up everywhere. 

Besides,  people complaining about Florida's numbers rising now apparently have not been paying attention for the past 6 months.  I would say state politics plays a bigger role than number of tourists, but that would just get this thread deleted. 😇

Simply not true in Florida. Although positive counts are up, overall, hospital capacities both beds and ICU are not much greater than normal snowbird season. I’m not going to post the links but you can find the hospital beds/admissions/ICU availability. We had the same debates back in April and Florida didn’t collapse into the sea. We take precautions for ourselves. 

Enjoy your locked down State. Hope your restaurants make a comeback. 

M8

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I love my home State. It’s great to be open. Praises go to our Governor. He also just put out a vaccine schedule contrary to many Northern locked down States. Vaccinating 65 and over after first responders and LTC facilities.

M8

Dan and I are first up.(along with 4 1/2 million of our closest Florida senior friends)  Not sure if I agree with the elderly getting priority over teachers but it is what it is.  I "may" even get one if it's by appointment and not waiting in hours long lines someplace like it still is with testing

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

I'll give him kudo's to waiting for his turn to get vaccinated.  Unlike some other healthy politicians that have downplayed the virus only to jump to the front of the vaccination line. 😇

29 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Enjoy your locked down State. Hope your restaurants make a comeback. 

Putting aside the bleak images of NYC, we are not huddled in our homes sharing a can of soup by candlelight.  Life has been mostly normal since early summer and have been able to enjoy many activities other than a ball game or concert.

Had a great meal at my favorite pub the other night. Despite the hardships, they will be preparing 700 meals to give out to those in need on Christmas Eve.  Later today, I'll head up to my favorite Craft brewery to pick up some overpriced but delicious beer. If I get there around happy hour, I can enjoy Tater Tot nacho's. Sounds weird but tator tots hold up better to all the goop on top than those wimpy tortilla chips.

EDIT: NY state does have weird rules regarding live music, I'll give you that.  Apparently singers/bands can perform in bars but it can not be advertised. 

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Dan and I are first up.(along with 4 1/2 million of our closest Florida senior friends)  Not sure if I agree with the elderly getting priority over teachers but it is what it is.  I "may" even get one if it's by appointment and not waiting in hours long lines someplace like it still is with testing

Good for you. The boss, her brother, and my son, all have gotten the PZ Vaccine and all say arm only sore like the Flu shot. No other reactions. The Good Doctor here says it’s good to go. That’s good enough for me. 

Does @Ocean Boy feel the same way?

M8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I plan to have plenty of ready-to-eat food on hand in case neither of us feel like cooking, but don’t foresee any other necessary prep.

We are anxiously awaiting the announcement of how to obtain an appointment.  

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Life has been mostly normal since early summer and have been able to enjoy many activities other than a ball game or concert.

We sure miss our concerts.  KISS was are last really good one. Saw Joe Bonamassa just before everything got shut down. We have a Hilton Club in NYC Midtown normally for the week before Christmas. We would have been there last week. The boss is not a huge sports fan but does like Soccer. We’d rather catch a good concert instead although we caught a Yankees game a couple of times. 

M8

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I think since the elderly are the most vulnerable they should be before teachers, unless the teacher has a underlying risk. At 94 and 102 I worry all the time about my parents. I am not sure why everyone are 75 and up is lumped together, some are more at risk than others. I've been cheering florida and hope when it's my parents time they can get a 95% effective, not the 70%. It should be about stopped deaths. Period  those most at risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bouhunter said:

I don't know of many Floridians traveling north for vacations right now.  😉 

X number of residents....add in thousands of migrating seasonals and tourists with no travel restrictions to come into the state.   X plus equals...more people.  More people.... equals?  

Many residents (retirees) over the 65.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

But the number of contacts they had while traveling and the increased number of people in the area we live in is relevant to the increased number of opportunities for our exposure.

This exactly  ^....and many over that age of 65 live here.