Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

22 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I thought the 3rd vaccine is only 70% effective but is about $5 so cheaper for the government to administer and more easily store. I want one of the 95% effective vaccines 

There are only two vaccines that have reached the FDA's approval process - Pfizer and Moderna (which should be approved this week). The 70% "effective" one is the Astra Zeneca candidate, and that is going through a new round of clinical trials because AZ comingled the data from its half dose/full dose foul up. They published a 70%+ effectivity rate, but it was based on a full dose rate of ~60% and a half dose rate of ~90%. It will be a while before they clear regulatory hurdles they threw in front of themselves. The next candidate that is likely to get to the FDA for EUA id the J&J vaccine, and there won't be any data on that one until February.

I have a bunch of cruises booked in 2021 starting in March, but many are over 7 nights and many are B2B.  I just wish Royal would decide what they are doing with 7+ and B2B cruises.  For once, I do not want to make final plans for cruises that I may not get to take.  I am tired of the what if game.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I have a bunch of cruises booked in 2021 starting in March, but many are over 7 nights and many are B2B.  I just wish Royal would decide what they are doing with 7+ and B2B cruises.  For once, I do not want to make final plans for cruises that I may not get to take.  I am tired of the what if game.

I know what you mean. Our final payment of 4 December was rapidly approaching for our March 2021 B2B cruise.  I decided before I made the final payment to do a L&S for the March 2021 B2B cruise on the Rhapsody out of Tampa for a B2B cruise out of San Juan on the Explore for March 2022. Same exact sail dates, OBCs for both legs carried over, we were able to select the same cabin for both legs on the Explorer. The taxes and port fees were less for the San Juan intinaries than the Tampa intinaries.  So we saved a few bucks there. We still have a 10 night Canada/Pacific coastal cruise on Celebrity for September 2021 out of Vancouver we are wondering if it will be a go. Since final payment isn't due until June we aren't concerning ourselves with that one at least for now! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We keep trying to talk ourselves into road trips, but we just can’t get interested.  We know we would constantly be comparing the experiences and cruising would always win.  It didn’t help that staying home the first few months of COVID convinced us to move from central Florida to the coast.  We used to go on trips to the beach, now we live there full time, so we have lost the pleasure of taking even those short trips.  I keep reading posts from those who are enjoying other types of travel and wish we felt the same way.

We will be flying to Maine, and I have a car rental reserved for three months.  Renting four houses in four different areas.  Will be sooo nice not having to worry about the travel on the road from Florida to Maine (especially driving a giant box on wheels..towing a Jeep).   

We are really looking forward to it since we did not go to Maine this year.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

My wife has informed me in no uncertain terms that once we get back on board a ship, we're not getting off until we make up for all the cruises we've lost. A B2B2B2B2B......🛳️🛳️😵😃

I hear ya.  My Aussie adventure was to start in February.  8 legs on Serenade.  2/10-5/16/21.  😞 

45 minutes ago, island lady said:

We will be flying to Maine, and I have a car rental reserved for three months.  Renting four houses in four different areas.  Will be sooo nice not having to worry about the travel on the road from Florida to Maine (especially driving a giant box on wheels..towing a Jeep).   

We are really looking forward to it since we did not go to Maine this year.  

That sounds like a wonderful trip, totally different than what I call a road trip.  My late DH and I had motor homes for twelve years and traveled full-time in the last/largest one for five years (while renting out our home “just in case”).  I have not been comfortable traveling long distances in a car since then, but have settled down in Florida and am not interested in getting back into RVing either.  Now that I think about it, perhaps I enjoy cruising so much  because of the similarities in going to different places without having to pack/unpack and having your own bed and bathroom at every stop.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I hear ya.  My Aussie adventure was to start in February.  8 legs on Serenade.  2/10-5/16/21.  😞 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I am an optimist....I have a 13 week b2b.  Board Liberty on August 22 and don't get off til November 21.  Making up for all my cancelled cruises, and when I get off I will be Pinnacle.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

There is one thing that has me excited about cruising in the future and that is less crowds (if what some insiders are saying is true). The thought of a Freedom or Oasis class ship at 50-70% capacity has me very excited. Sure prices will be a tad higher to make up for it but I would be willing to pay more in order for less people onboard. 

That is one of the things I was really looking forward to with the Oasis cruise that I had booked for January. The great price I had was the other.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They may not be available. They were talking about Astrazeneca being more plentiful which isn't as effective.

Oh, I see... Israel "gambled" on Moderna very early on (the chief medical researcher is Israeli 😁), and reserved millions of them. Then along came Pfizer and "we" managed to buy a lot of theirs too.

So this week "we" already got ~600.000 Pfizers, and the moment FDA will approve, we'll get millions of Moderna.

I was sure US will get priority with both companies....

Sadly, Astra-Zeneca have still a long way, at least until February.

Wishing you all good luck with the vaccines.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Well, at is stands right now you know what is happening with them unless the CDC changes it stance. How can RCI know if the CDC will allow them sooner than the present ban until next November?

I don't really miss it much.  We did have a New Years trip that was cancelled and would have been great.

In a few years when we no longer travel with the kids, our cruising will most likely be finished.

We always have a great time but I cannot see me and my wife going by ourselves.

There are so much better things you can do than paying a premium for mediocre food, service and visiting the same places all the time.    

Not sure how people do it...

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

OMG!...dw retired March 4th!!!

Me too!! Was made redundant from my airline job last month but was going to retire next year anyway. Not quite the retirement I had planned, no leaving party, no long goodbyes, no hugs and kisses, no travelling.....

Ah well things will get better 

• Like 3

I see the pictures from our cruises - we have Alaska and Norway cruises on digital frames and I do miss cruising.  Then I think about the new protocols that will probably be in place and the last morning of the cruise that I never enjoyed and I think it may be a very long time before we cruise.  

If cruising starts we will scrap all our other plans right away. It was basically our only way to vacation for 18 years. Last 4 years 5-6 a year. However we do realize that it might not happen for a long time. We even bought camper van (for weekend camping in Cape Cod and Maine), vacationed in Myrtle Beach and also spent Thanksgiving in Mexican A/I . We vowed before never use A/I, but absolutely loved it so we might go again this year if cruises won't start. We kept booking this year and all were cancelled, so we will book when it will be a sure thing. We will vaccinate, especially for cruising if necessary.

We watch our cruise pictures on big screen TVs almost daily

Edited by Tatka

21 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

That sounds like a wonderful trip, totally different than what I call a road trip.  My late DH and I had motor homes for twelve years and traveled full-time in the last/largest one for five years (while renting out our home “just in case”).  I have not been comfortable traveling long distances in a car since then, but have settled down in Florida and am not interested in getting back into RVing either.  Now that I think about it, perhaps I enjoy cruising so much  because of the similarities in going to different places without having to pack/unpack and having your own bed and bathroom at every stop.  

That is indeed the biggest draw for us in cruising.  Unpacking once, but still traveling to different destinations.  😉 

Another reason we have started to do almost 100% B2Bs and longer.  

19 hours ago, puerto penasco lady said:

I am an optimist....I have a 13 week b2b.  Board Liberty on August 22 and don't get off til November 21.  Making up for all my cancelled cruises, and when I get off I will be Pinnacle.

I have been one cruise shy of Pinnie since March.  Uggh...  28 cruises cancelled since then.  😞