Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

My response is the same as it was when John posted his question earlier this year. I miss it. 

We had 8 booked pre-COVID, four of those have been cancelled , the other 4 are still scheduled but nothing until August 2021. Have booked two more for summer 2022 in the past month. Calendar is pretty full up to August 2022 so I’m not looking at any more. 

Not interested in “road trips”. Still have to go and stay somewhere and with the current situation that ain’t happening. 

Sitting here looking at the weather forecast for 10” - 18” of snow for Wed/Thurs. —— you bet I’m ready to sail. 

Frankly more disappointed in not being able to see TSO in concert this Christmas season, although I’m looking forward to the livestream this Friday. 

mac_tlc

I need to find some good concerts to enjoy on the new TV setup. How do i find TSO stream

We normally only cruise once or twice a year, so not missing it too much yet.  Next cruise scheduled for Sept 2021 which will hopefully be somewhat close to normal. We've been making annual trips to Europe lately and had a 3 week Italy trip (that include a 9 day Greek Isles cruise) cancelled in September.  I DO miss the Europe trips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

Frankly more disappointed in not being able to see TSO in concert this Christmas season, although I’m looking forward to the livestream this Friday. 

Been attending TSO concerts almost every year since 2003 or 2004. Back then, they performed in smaller venues like the Beacon Theater.  While I do miss the intimate feel of the theater where you were practically on top of them, the arena spectacles are pretty amazing as well.

I don't think I can turn up the volume enough without blowing out the speakers for the full concert effect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I need to find some good concerts to enjoy on the new TV setup. How do i find TSO stream

Go to www.TSO livestream.com . Tickets for this Friday’s show are $30. You can watch it live or through Sunday night. 

If you want to see last years entire TSO show from the Worcester Centrum, go here: 

Its a great show in its entirety and with some great camera angles. I watched it yesterday with the sound bar turned up to “11”!!! It’s the same story that they are doing this Friday. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Been attending TSO concerts almost every year since 2003 or 2004. Back then, they performed in smaller venues like the Beacon Theater.  While I do miss the intimate feel of the theater where you were practically on top of them, the arena spectacles are pretty amazing as well.

I don't think I can turn up the volume enough without blowing out the speakers for the full concert effect.

I hear ya! We have seen them 18 times and Eagerly look forward to the third week in August when they announce the winter tour dates. Alas, not in 2020. 

Ive toyed with going to all their northeast shows. Want to see the Florida ones too because it’s the West group while CT/NY/MA is the East group. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

It has been a rough year for most everyone.  DW is not very eager to cruise at all.  For me I want to cruise but the enthusiasm is just not what it was.   Being retired and sitting home is depressing.  

I still have an Alaska trip on the books for May but I am starting to expect it will go away.

We did buy a motorhome last July with the money we did not spend cruising during this "break".  We took a few short trips to see how we liked it.  We got in 30 nights before we packed it away for the winter.  For many years I have wanted to drive cross country but DW had no interest in doing in.  It looks like we will be doing it this Spring/Summer in the MH. 

We do have 141 night books between August 2021 and May 2022 so we are still planning to cruise.   

• Like 6

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I thought the 3rd vaccine is only 70% effective but is about $5 so cheaper for the government to administer and more easily store. I want one of the 95% effective vaccines 

My wife is going to be getting her vaccine at work and there is talk that the Pfizer vaccine won't be available by the time it reaches The GI/Hepatology department. They haven't disclosed how many the hospital has received. 

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My wife is going to be getting her vaccine at work and there is talk that the Pfizer vaccine won't be available by the time it reaches The GI/Hepatology department. They haven't disclosed how many the hospital has received. 

I'm with the I hope we get to choose. I'm not working so not sure how many months I have to wait. I just want the vaccine so I can quit worrying. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, molly361 said:

Trying to stay excited for what will hopefully be our next cruise (May 2021) but my cruising enthusiasm seems to be diminishing as time goes on.  I would think it would be the opposite.  Even have a suite booked for this one but the thought of having to possibly get myself tested,  having to get the vaccine  and wear a mask is putting a real damper on things.  Anyone else feeling this way?  

I'm not the right person to ask.  I am a fatalist.  I take what comes and move forward.   My wife is definitely feeling a sense of hopelessness .  So I don't think she has lost enthusiasm as much as she is losing faith that we will ever be able to travel without restrictions again.  Really, I don't think she literally feels that this will last forever, but she just keeps asking when will it end.  Problem is we can't know.  If cruising in May happens, it won't really be cruising as you know it.  The problem is, we all want to know when does real cruising return, and that won't be until the pandemic is brought under control.

For me, when the vaccine is widely distributed and proven, the infection rate will drop, and things will be more normal.  Some things may not ever come back, but I'll deal with it the same way I had to deal with 9/11 changes.  I remember thinking "Take my shoes off, are you nuts?"  Now I don't even think about it.  I hated getting to the airport 2 hours early, again now it is what it is.  So if somethings change in cruising, at first they will be noticed and annoy me, but 2 years in I won't even notice.  

I have a cruise booked in November.  Will that sail?  Who knows.  If it does great, if it doesn't, oh well.

When the pandemic is behind us, and cruising is safe, I'll be back on board (probably over paying) and complaining about people cutting the buffet line.  I don't care you only want bacon, you get in line and wait your turn.  Or pay for a suite and have the bacon concierge get it for you. 

I'm sorry to hear that it's weighing on you, but your not alone in that.  It will end.  It won't be fast enough, and some things will likely change for good.  BUT... I think, the minute you get back on board, that enthusiasm will be back.  You'll sail out, see the ocean from the back of the ship, and think FINALLY.   Then you'll get up the next morning and think "How can every pool chair be taken?"  Wala, Normal.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

There will be more vaccine doses coming. I am sure the GI/Hepatology department won't be left out for long. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

It has been a rough year for most everyone.  DW is not very eager to cruise at all.  For me I want to cruise but the enthusiasm is just not what it was.   Being retired and sitting home is depressing.  

I still have an Alaska trip on the books for May but I am starting to expect it will go away.

We did buy a motorhome last July with the money we did not spend cruising during this "break".  We took a few short trips to see how we liked it.  We got in 30 nights before we packed it away for the winter.  For many years I have wanted to drive cross country but DW had no interest in doing in.  It looks like we will be doing it this Spring/Summer in the MH. 

We do have 141 night books between August 2021 and May 2022 so we are still planning to cruise.   

I know what you mean - I retired on March 13th - just when the crap hit the fan.  Talk about timing!!!!

The longer the virus problem drags on, the less i feel hopeful about cruising. My husband cancelled what we had booked for Feb, March 2021, and he says he is not willing to participate in the earliest cruises from US ports. We're old enough to have health play a role, and i worry that by the time we'd be comfortable getting on a ship, one of us won't be able to cruise.

• Like 1

Curiously I woke up the other morning and felt a massive "OMG I wish I was waking up on a cruise right now" pang. But it is indeed hard to remain enthusiastic in the midst of so much uncertainty.

I religiously check our one booked cruise - Med on Harmony at the end of September 2021 - for price drops and cruise planner bargains but the normal enthusiasm and excitement are not there since we don't know what the picture will look like by then.

One of my concerns over vaccination becoming a requirement is not being able to get it in time to cruise, which is a real possibility where I live. I can only hope that there will be flexibility on the cruise line's part to enable us to postpone or cancel if that were the case.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, molly361 said:

Trying to stay excited for what will hopefully be our next cruise (May 2021) but my cruising enthusiasm seems to be diminishing as time goes on.  I would think it would be the opposite.  Even have a suite booked for this one but the thought of having to possibly get myself tested,  having to get the vaccine  and wear a mask is putting a real damper on things.  Anyone else feeling this way?  

No, but only because we rebooked for early 2022 which should be far enough in the future for most of the dust to settle (at least, that is our hope).

• Like 1

There is one thing that has me excited about cruising in the future and that is less crowds (if what some insiders are saying is true). The thought of a Freedom or Oasis class ship at 50-70% capacity has me very excited. Sure prices will be a tad higher to make up for it but I would be willing to pay more in order for less people onboard. 

On 12/14/2020 at 12:32 PM, kernie968 said:

We usually cruise every 6 months which gives me 6 months to lose the 8 pounds I put on every cruise. Since both of our 2020 cruise were cancelled I have managed to lose 20 pounds and my bank account has gone up. I cannot wait to get back on a ship, but we have decided to only cruise once a year from now on.

My wife and I have experienced the "covid-19" effect on our weight - we've lost a collective 19 pounds since the pandemic hit.😷

• Like 3