Is anyone losing or lost their enthusiasm for Cruising?

molly361

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yep this. Lots of out of State tags. 

4 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Loads of out of state tags in South Florida. Loads of tourists. And also saw car trailers/transporters dropping off cars in our area. And some of these cars had Quebec plates, which surprised me. I did not think that cars could cross the Canadian/US border.

You folks are just experiencing what we went through last summer. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Loads of out of state tags in South Florida. Loads of tourists. And also saw car trailers/transporters dropping off cars in our area. And some of these cars had Quebec plates, which surprised me. I did not think that cars could cross the Canadian/US border.

Apparently they can be shipped, but not driven by the owner,  over the boarder...and Canadians can fly into the U.S...but not drive over the boarder.  

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I grew up in Southeast Massachusetts, and spent lots of time in Rhode Island. It is one of my favorite states. I have not been back to Massachusetts since this started, and I miss seeing my family. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same thing happened in MA.  Lots of NY/NJ people headed to Cape Cod during the lockdown.  Those that live fulltime of the Cape wanted the bridges closed to non-residents to stop the spread.  Didn't happen but they were complaining as much as the Floridians are now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Apparently they can be shipped, but not driven by the owner,  over the boarder...and Canadians can fly into the U.S...but not drive over the boarder.  

That’s right.  A little industry has sprung up that leverages the ability of transport companies/drivers who are able to cross the border due to their essential service/worker designation.  Idea is to consolidate cars (for example) in Montreal and transport them to Plattsburgh, NY in the morning.  Meanwhile, the car owners fly on a leased airplane from Montreal to Plattsburgh and are reunited with their car there where they head off to warmer locations.  The truck and driver simply turn around and go home.  All entirely within existing rules.  For RVs, pretty similar.  Drivers take them to Plattsburgh and return to Montreal on the airplane.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

That’s right.  A little industry has sprung up that leverages the ability of transport companies/drivers who are able to cross the border due to their essential service/worker designation.  Idea is to consolidate cars (for example) in Montreal and transport them to Plattsburgh, NY in the morning.  Meanwhile, the car owners fly on a leased airplane from Montreal to Plattsburgh and are reunited with their car there where they head off to warmer locations.  The truck and driver simply turn around and go home.  All entirely within existing rules.  For RVs, pretty similar.  Drivers take them to Plattsburgh and return to Montreal on the airplane.

That's pretty sad they are finding ways around the warnings.  😞  The rules are there for a reason. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Always interesting to see "loopholes" in regulations and laws.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

That's for sure.  Lots of out of state tags down here, lots of relatives visiting residents in our community.  Guess the CDC begging people not to travel for the holidays fell on deaf ears.  

43 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yep this. Lots of out of State tags. 

19 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Well, your Governor did declare the state open for business. And its in the snowbird/tourist business so.......

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Youse guys.

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Sounds like spoken with a Southern accent. 😎

Fixed. 🙂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Well, your Governor did declare the state open for business. And its in the snowbird/tourist business so.......

Fixed. 🙂

Tourism is vital to the economy of Florida, since we do not have a state income tax. But sometimes I am very envious of all the tourists having fun, when we are basically staying home to avoid all the crowds. Makes a big difference in risk concern when you are a senior citizen. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I am not complaining and I am ever so glad to be in Florida where people can keep their businesses open.  Come here, spend your money and go home.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Tourism is vital to the economy of Florida, since we do not have a state income tax. But sometimes I am very envious of all the tourists having fun, when we are basically staying home to avoid all the crowds. Makes a big difference in risk concern when you are a senior citizen. 

This exactly ^.   

15 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Same thing happened in MA.  Lots of NY/NJ people headed to Cape Cod during the lockdown.  Those that live fulltime of the Cape wanted the bridges closed to non-residents to stop the spread.  Didn't happen but they were complaining as much as the Floridians are now.

That would be my sister.  She lives in Mashpee full time

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I am not complaining and I am ever so glad to be in Florida where people can keep their businesses open.  Come here, spend your money and go home.  

How do you think this  is doing to the cruise industry, especially to ships being deployed from Florida??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

How do you think this  is doing to the cruise industry, especially to ships being deployed from Florida??

Extrapolate on that....One day boarding in Florida...but what about the ports the ships visit all day that rely on the visits from the cruise ships...  

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I don't think it has any bearing on the cruise industry since the CDC has decided to make it as difficult as possible for them to restart from any port.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, molly361 said:

That would be my sister.  She lives in Mashpee full time

My sister has a house in Barnstable and went down there for the shutdown since her husbands business was shutdown.  One of their neighbors didn't like that they went back and forth to their other house in MA occasionally and was very vocal about it. 🙄

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The only reason that happened is because so many were still working from home. They were able to travel and didn't have to worry about taking an extra 2 weeks vacation in order to quarantine when they returned. The beaches on Long Island were at 50 % capacity and unless you got there at 8:00am on the weekend you didn't get in. Florida relies on tourism for income so nobody should be complaining especially with all of the income they have lost from the cruise industry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

According to the Ports Council, the loss of cruises, along with a slowdown in cargo traffic, has led to a $23 billion loss for Florida’s economy.  Florida has the top three cruise ports in the world.  I'm sure other ports are hurting as well but Florida has taken the biggest hit.  Many businesses that were heavily dependent on the cruise industry have had to close down.  Lots of casualties.  

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/business/2020-08-10/floridas-economy-takes-23b-hit-from-empty-cruise-ships-ports

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The only reason that happened is because so many were still working from home. They were able to travel and didn't have to worry about taking an extra 2 weeks vacation in order to quarantine when they returned. The beaches on Long Island were at 50 % capacity and unless you got there at 8:00am on the weekend you didn't get in. Florida relies on tourism for income so nobody should be complaining especially with all of the income they have lost from the cruise industry.

It wasn't beach time at all, it was when the virus was raging in the spring, when CT was stopping cars at their borders.  The Cape was pretty clear of covid and was in winter mode with limited businesses open.  Many were afraid that the limited supplies that go to the Cape in the winter would not be enough for the residents, let alone the out of staters.  My sister lives in the Boston area normally, so would shop in this area and head to her other home for a month.  Luckily, all those travelling in from out of state did not create a spike in covid on the Cape.

• Like 1