News about CC member tomc

RuthC

I am sorry to learn Tom has died. Tom was a priest of Holy Cross.  I came to know him on cc.  We also correspnded during his cruising days including his evaluations of some priest chaplains. The last I heard from him he was living in Assisted leaving with Holy Cross at Notre Dame.  May he rest in peace.  Thanks for letting us know of Tom's death.

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Ruth C;  

Are you related to Tom?  If so, please accept my condolences.  Is beingBuried from The Chapel at ND?  If so, they usually post these funerals on You Tube.

We were not related; he was my friend. We 'met' on Cruise Critic, and later on a cruise. We found we had several things in common, and just 'clicked'. We were in frequent contact for years; less frequent contact in more recent years. 

He kept active announcing the movies shown at the retirement home, and started a newsletter there. As a matter of fact, his last newsletter arrived here the day he died. 

My understanding is that he wanted to be buried in Wilkes Barre. I don't know if King's College has a cemetery on campus, or where exactly he will be buried. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RuthC said:

We were not related; he was my friend. We 'met' on Cruise Critic, and later on a cruise. We found we had several things in common, and just 'clicked'. We were in frequent contact for years; less frequent contact in more recent years.

My understanding is that he wanted to be buried in Wilkes Barre. I don't know if King's College has a cemetery on campus, or where exactly he will be buried. 

I was born and spent alot of time in Wilkes-Barre visiting relatives.  I do not recall a cemetery at Kings College, but there is one (Hollenback) about a half mile away I estimate, on River Street.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 6:21 PM, RuthC said:

Cruise Critic poster, avid cruiser, and (as far as anyone knows) originator of the "Live from" thread concept, tomc died today from covid-19. I was informed a couple of days ago that he was in the hospital, and on oxygen, and this morning that he was not expected to last the day. 

Tom always wanted to go out in a spectacular way. He once said something about wanting to be shot to death on the streets of NYC by a deranged Pope. Well, covid may not have been what he meant, but his timing was spectacular. He got to heaven in time for the big birthday party tomorrow, with the angels up all night singing hallelujah
. I'm sure he will appreciate the greeting.  

Tom was funny and creative. Definitely one of a kind. "Kind" being what he was most. 
He was the best friend I have ever had, and I will miss him terribly. 

He had a great sense of humor!

7 hours ago, Himself said:

Is this a characteristic of Catholic Priests?  Many with whom I have met have had a sense of humor that was far better than any comedy performer HAL employed.  The Priest whom I met on a Rotterdam's Voyage of the Viking Cruise had jokes/stories that were exceptional!  And, one I heard him tell while those of us were sitting at a table in an Iceland port waiting for a folkloric show to begin was memorable and I have shared with others!

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I was born and spent alot of time in Wilkes-Barre visiting relatives.  I do not recall a cemetery at Kings College, but there is one (Hollenback) about a half mile away I estimate, on River Street.

Thank you for that info. I think River St. is near King's College, so maybe that's where he will be? 

8 hours ago, Himself said:

He sure did! Just a little bit twisted, too. Such a creative mind! 

13 hours ago, RuthC said:

Thank you for that info. I think River St. is near King's College, so maybe that's where he will be? 

Kings College is on River Street and about 6-9 blocks from Hollenback Cemetery.  My parents grew up within 1/2 mile of the cemetery and the main hospital is right across River Street.  Very likely this is the place he will be.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Is this a characteristic of Catholic Priests?  Many with whom I have met have had a sense of humor that was far better than any comedy performer HAL employed.  The Priest whom I met on a Rotterdam's Voyage of the Viking Cruise had jokes/stories that were exceptional!  And, one I heard him tell while those of us were sitting at a table in an Iceland port waiting for a folkloric show to begin was memorable and I have shared with others!

Many of us have a good sense of humor but not all do.  Ihave been blessed with a sense of humor since childhood and am also quick on the comeback. my humor gets bad when I try and be funny.As long as I don't try and be funny, I am okey.  I am aso a story teller.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Himself said:

Many of us have a good sense of humor but not all do.  Ihave been blessed with a sense of humor since childhood and am also quick on the comeback. my humor gets bad when I try and be funny.As long as I don't try and be funny, I am okey.  I am aso a story teller.

Although I am not a Catholic, I would be most pleased to sail with you Father Himself.  I would even attend a service--interdenominational or not--over which you would preside.

I remember a post from Tom, years ago.  It sees there was a Statue of the Blessed Virgin.  I gather it was quite large and Tom referred to the statue as "Our Lady of the midnight Buffet."  Readers--like me--got quite a chuckle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1